The Running Thread -- 2022

February Running
Miles: 83.4
Time: 15:34:58

Mileage went way up in preparation for Cherry Blossom 10M in a month, which is also answer to QOTD as will be doing it with a bunch of running buddies, should be gorgeous, and will hopefully get me a POT for MW2023 (if they lower the cutoffs to the W&D ones)

Cherry Blossom 10 miler for me too!

mostly because I get to travel with friends, no kids, and visit a city I loved living in for years! My training needs some work though - I’ve gotten lots of miles since January, but need some longer runs the next few weeks.

Ooh, we should do a meetup :)

ATTQOTD: Blackbeard's Revenge 100m is the race I'm most excited to run this year. Really, "excited" is only one of the emotions I'm going through as the race looms closer and closer. I'm a bit scared of the distance and having a hard time wrapping my head around and contextualizing the distance. It's just so far out of my realm of experience as to be abstract at this point. Mix in the fact that I'm using a home brew training plan for the race, not a proven training plan, and it's a pretty good recipe for anxiety. It doesn't help that my work friends are clearing their schedules for my funeral the following week... It's all in good fun, though. We'll see what happens!
Does the plan include hitchhiking a ride when no one is looking?

;-)

ATTQOTD: I am excited for our 5k des Érables in May, a family tradition that we are looking to resume. It was our youngest DD first race and she changed so much since! I will likely be a solid two-theee minutes behind her. I am also looking forward to the Marathon du P’tit Train du Nord in October, it is a distance that requires internal motivation.

February 2022 Training Summary

Running duration = 29:15 hours
Running mileage = 207.4 miles
Average Pace = 8:28 min/mile (about 60 sec/mile slower than recent Marathon)
Average HR = 130 (15 bpm less than recent Marathon)
Strength Training = 1:20 hours
Total Training Time = 30:34 hours

G miles = 3.11 miles

Princess Weekend! G and I had been training towards the weekend for months. Training went well for us. I handled the most mileage I have done in years for a second consecutive training cycle and did so without injury. I'm smiling from ear to ear on that note. We participated in the 5k together, and had an absolute blast. It literally was a dream come true to run the race with her. Like literally, one of my sole goals way back when I started getting healthier in 2012 was to have experiences just like this one. So after a decade, it was very fulfilling. The 10k didn't go as well as hoped, and for the HM I pivoted about halfway through and decided to go the picture route. Still ended up being my 4th fastest of 19 HMs. So given I stopped for pictures, that's not bad at all. I wrote a full recap in my training journal if you'd like to read all about it.

5k: 1:41 hrs
10K: 42:11, 16th overall, and 2nd AG (10885 total finishers)
HM: 1:35:20, 51st overall, and 8th AG (12766 total finishers)
Challenge: 9th overall (5476 total finishers)

F11.jpeg

-2022 Princess Weekend Trip Report and Race Recap

I had faint hopes of a new PR (not likely with the hills on this course) but mostly would like to finish ahead of my 15 year old.
Finishing ahead of a determined 15 years old is a moving target that I would not dare putting on my list of goals 😳

I really like that 10K course.

WDW was my first marathon, but I agree MCM would be a good first one too. Excellent crowd support and scenic course.

Yeah, I run portions of the MCM route on longer training runs, so I like the idea of familiarity too. The beginning in Rosslyn is going to be pretty hilly but otherwise not too bad. I've also never run Pentagon City/Crystal City so that would be fun to experience. The only part of the course I really hate is the out-and-back around Hains Point, because I just find it kind of boring. But at least it's in the middle.

Yeah, I run portions of the MCM route on longer training runs, so I like the idea of familiarity too. The beginning in Rosslyn is going to be pretty hilly but otherwise not too bad. I've also never run Pentagon City/Crystal City so that would be fun to experience. The only part of the course I really hate is the out-and-back around Hains Point, because I just find it kind of boring. But at least it's in the middle.
Hains Point is where fallen service members are commemorated during the race. I find the out-and-back in Rock Creek Park to be worse.

Finishing ahead of a determined 15 years old is a moving target that I would not dare putting on my list of goals 😳
No argument.

My sons, in spite of being typical skinny teens, were just not used to running and pudgy old(er) me would have to wait on them. The older son (no longer a teen) doesn't do any running with me, but the younger one does and in the past few years his endurance has way improved and there is a very good chance that he'll be waiting on me at the finish line.

So one of the few things I could still hold over their heads is about to go away, if it hasn't already. Just dang.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter