The Running Thread -- 2022

The race that I have no regret of signing up for was the 2010 Disney Icecapades, I mean 2010 MW. I had such great experiences in 2009, 2011, and this year that I'm glad I didn't experience it in freezing weather.

As for some of your other comments on continuing to train and do marathons:
1. I hear you on the time it takes to train and then actually complete the race. Will I do many more? Probably another Disney Marathon, and the MCM is still unfinished business for me (got in twice, had to cancel both times due to life).
2. Instead of focusing on faster and faster times for a marathon, focus on finishing it and limit the time improvements to shorter races. I'd like to get my half-marathon time down closer to 2 hours, but I don't know that I'll ever worry about my marathon time, especially if it is combined with a Goofy or Dopey challenge.
3. Keep running while you can. I have a July 4th parade that I like to be in, and it was getting to where I had to chose between it and running the Peachtree. The wife made a really good point in that I can keep doing the parade long after I can't (or don't want to) run. Run for fitness, run for the bling, run for the shirts, run for the satisfaction that you can and do.

You guys know my half-assed approach to training, so I hear you about the time it takes for a full. I'll keep trying to lose more weight and get my 5k, 10k, and half times down, but for me, marathons will just be about completing them and enjoying the experience. I've done two now, both at Disney. As I said, I'd like to do the MCM, and then maybe I'll wind up at Disney again just to make it an even number.

YMMV
This is all very good advice! And I agree with point 2, I've been moving my mental strategy to be to train to drive down my PRs for the half marathon on down. It kind of conflicts with point 3 though: Now that I'm over 50 I'm really feeling that "use it or lose it" pressure, like it's now or never to achieve whatever I can. This makes it hard to say No to races. Marathons will of course be the first distance to go, eventually, but mentally it's hard to say Never Again because that's like saying I'm getting too old for something.

I was finally at peace with not registering for the NYC lottery, and got *another* email today (like everybody else) saying Last chance!!!! Register now!!! And the link is like the shiny, candy-like button from Ren & Stimpy if anybody remembers those cartoons. So tempting to click! We used to live in NYC and still have a lot of friends/connections but I have to remind myself I can visit them, and actually have a more fun time, if the visit doesn't include running 26.2 miles. It's hard though!!! I've never gotten in and what if this is the year???!!!!

Just edited to add that I called DH and told him, "Tell me you'll divorce me if I enter the New York Marathon lottery," and he said, "Actually that sounds like a great experience and maybe you should make an exception to your No More Marathons rule."

So that was enough encouragement for me, and I entered the lottery. Thanks for all the sage advice everybody and maybe I'll listen to it next time! Odds are very strong that I won't get in anyway.

Last edited:
ATTQOTD running club:
No formal running clubs but often weekly groups of co-workers and even neighbors.
Pros:
- Lots of good advice and feedback. At times I had runners tell me to relax my shoulders or my hands, to look up, etc. My form and my breathing improved thanks to their inputs. I have the chance to have trained with a vast array of experienced runners and it made for rich conversations or real time learning experience.
- Exploring areas you don’t know, changing your route.
- Commitment. It is easier to pass the door if someone is waiting for you.
- Structure. Some running clubs have very interesting approaches to training. Some have medals for achievements based on your fitness/age/gender. And the end of season BBQ with award ceremonies.
- Proper pacing. If there is a good leader going your speed, it is amazing.

Cons:
- Unmatched speed or training objectives. Especially true if the club includes a trainer who focus on a few elite members. Also, I even did it myself by mistake: Someone asked to run with me and I thought they were really fast so I warned them that I was slow and likely it would be too easy for them. They were exhausted at the end and still tease me about it.
- At fixed times. The schedule has to fit.

So I don't have facebook, but my husband does, do I just search "running group" + "city"? I noticed most groups appear private, but I'd like to know more about them so I'd have to join to learn more? Would it be weird to join under his fb?
This is me, and I use my husband's FB for my Galloway running group and watching Disney boards. If I post anything I usually note that it's his wife.
I started going to a Galloway group to meet more people. In the fall I was training for the full (it was a HM group) and only 1 other person was running at the same speed as me. As an introvert, that actually worked for me. There are more of us this spring and I've enjoyed it for getting my long runs out of the way with some company. There's not much socializing beyond that. I keep getting invites through Strava for my local Fleet Feet's runs. I signed up to try to get out of my introverted shell, but apparently it's baby steps b/c I haven't been able to bring myself to show up.

I signed up for the Philly marathon last night. It was a big step for many reasons:
1. It meant that I had to skip signing up for Wine and Dine
2. This southern girl is terrified it's going to snow in PA in late November
3. I said I would only do fun marathons from now on (meaning Disney) and I wouldn't choose a marathon with a long out and back. I can't do the WDW full this year, so here I am.

I'm also thinking about hiring an online coach. I used the Peloton marathon program (with Galloway intervals on long runs) for the WDW marathon and dropped 14 minutes from my fastest previous marathon that was done in my mid-20s (I'm now approaching my mid-40s). I felt great after. Since the BQ drops to 3:50 when I'm 45 I've realized that I'm close. Now I'm curious what I can do with tailored training.

I signed up for the Philly marathon last night. It was a big step for many reasons:
3. I said I would only do fun marathons from now on (meaning Disney) and I wouldn't choose a marathon with a long out and back. I can't do the WDW full this year, so here I am.

I'm also thinking about hiring an online coach. I used the Peloton marathon program (with Galloway intervals on long runs) for the WDW marathon and dropped 14 minutes from my fastest previous marathon that was done in my mid-20s (I'm now approaching my mid-40s). I felt great after. Since the BQ drops to 3:50 when I'm 45 I've realized that I'm close. Now I'm curious what I can do with tailored training.
Awesome! The races that weekend are great. The medal is always some version of a Liberty Bell that actually tinkles. My ecstatic, long-winded race report from the 2021 marathon is here if you didn't see it
Philadelphia marathon race report
We aren't Disney World but the course is very scenic, going by our magnificent City Hall, Independence Hall, the Art Museum, Franklin Institute, etc. Dirtier than Disney but still very cool.
We don't usually have snow that weekend, I'm jinxing you but the weather is typically perfect if you like it on the cold side (30s at the start). Don't believe everything you hear about Philadelphians, the crowds are upbeat and supportive! You just saw my hemming and hawing over NYC and if I don't get into that I will definitely sign up for one of these races Philly Marathon Weekend. Let me know closer to the race if you want to do a meet up.

Let me know closer to the race if you want to do a meet up.
Yes, let's meet up if you do it! I signed up for the VIP for the warming tent and porta potties at the start. I figured it was still less $ than the Wine and Dine half and I'd guarantee a spot somewhere warm.

I was very worried about the out and back, but my friend said the people partying at the turnaround in Manayunk gave her life.

I was very worried about the out and back, but my friend said the people partying at the turnaround in Manayunk gave her life.
Oh 100%. People are out and they are brunch drunk and they are LOUD. Even watching the out and back on YouTube videos of the race course, I was expecting it to suck. But it really didn't. And I'm a complainer and would let you know.

You got me curious about a future BQ (this feels insane after only one half marathon and one marathon), so I looked up the BQ qualifying times. I can't believe the inherent sexism wherein the men's qualifying time is 30 minutes faster than the women's time. I'm thinking about the many women who were presumably around my age (48) at the marathon and who were flying past me.

You got me curious about a future BQ (this feels insane after only one half marathon and one marathon), so I looked up the BQ qualifying times. I can't believe the inherent sexism wherein the men's qualifying time is 30 minutes faster than the women's time. I'm thinking about the many women who were presumably around my age (48) at the marathon and who were flying past me.
It seems that they are trying to get a balanced participation. Also on the BAA website:
https://www.baa.org/races/boston-marathon/results/participationETA: No Olympic sport has the same qualifications requirements for men and women and no road running race has only one shared podium.

Last edited:

You might find these series of posts/graphs interesting that I put together in 2016. The qualifying standards have changed slightly since then, but I believe the analysis to still hold true to today.

Post 1
Post 2
Post 3
Boston Qualifying Times: History, Who's time is more difficult, Rationale, and the future!
BAA History of Qualifying Times and Rationale
2013 Rationale for change in Boston Qualifying Times Research Paper

From that post:
I went into this question before collecting any data with two beliefs.

1) I thought that women's BQ times were easier than males based on the 30 minute time difference. Without looking at data I thought that a 30 minute gap seemed to be too much between genders and that males and females of equal abilities relative to their own gender was not at or greater than 30 minutes.

2) I thought that my BQ time of 3:05 was tougher mostly because only 1-2% of people who run a marathon can run a sub 3 hour marathon. Thus, my time was harder to achieve.

But this belief begged the question was my time harder to achieve because of the time, but was actually easier for me to achieve from a gender/age basis than someone else's BQ time based on their age/gender. I think the data pretty clearly states that my original belief in 1 was false. The gap of the 30 minutes between BQ times from males/females is not only appropriate but very consistent in different age group and two different marathons.

It goes on from there to other analysis of the data. Bottom line, the time gap between genders is appropriate. The bump seen at 45-59 age groups was done in 2002 to increase participation in the Boston Marathon as a whole, and is mostly unneccesary these days but has been kept.

I think your observations might've been a bit skewed during the marathon. I don't know what your actual finish time was, but you said you put down an estimated finish time of 4:00 - 4:30, so let's go with that. Looking at the 45-49 age group for men and women, here's where finishers at each end of the range fell within the groups:

4:00 - 57th in AG for men, 15th in AG for women
4:30 - 138th in AG for men, 32nd in AG for women

So if you finished in your estimated time range you were passed by somewhere between 15 to 32 women who were around your age (assuming they didn't start in front of you) compared to being passed by 56 to 137 men of similar age. Your concerns here about the comparative capabilities may be misplaced.

I think your observations might've been a bit skewed during the marathon. I don't know what your actual finish time was, but you said you put down an estimated finish time of 4:00 - 4:30, so let's go with that. Looking at the 45-49 age group for men and women, here's where finishers at each end of the range fell within the groups:

4:00 - 57th in AG for men, 15th in AG for women
4:30 - 138th in AG for men, 32nd in AG for women

So if you finished in your estimated time range you were passed by somewhere between 15 to 32 women who were around your age (assuming they didn't start in front of you) compared to being passed by 56 to 137 men of similar age. Your concerns here about the comparative capabilities may be misplaced.
That is quite interesting. I stand corrected.

Um....basic biology, not sexism.

Without looking at what @DopeyBadger has analyzed--which I expect has merit--I do remember doing an age-graded calculation of Men's and Women's BQ times because I wanted to understand whether there was any bias towards any specific age group. I have BQ'ed 3x and have run twice, and as an older runner I was curious. My math at the time convinced me things were pretty even/fair.

Hi everyone. Tomorrow is what I am considering the big day, that will shape my future plans for running. Meeting with a new cardio guy to discuss running potential as my fitness levels increase. My hope is I am given permission to run another marathon in the next 12-24 months. I see one of the following outcomes:
1. I can run a marathon.
2. I can run a marathon but have to use a walk/run method.
3. Half marathon or less.
4. Nothing over a hour.

Number 3 and 4 would be devastating news to me. 1 and 2 would be acceptable outcomes.

Fingers crossed and I should have my answer by noon on 3/25.

Hi everyone. Tomorrow is what I am considering the big day, that will shape my future plans for running. Meeting with a new cardio guy to discuss running potential as my fitness levels increase. My hope is I am given permission to run another marathon in the next 12-24 months. I see one of the following outcomes:
1. I can run a marathon.
2. I can run a marathon but have to use a walk/run method.
3. Half marathon or less.
4. Nothing over a hour.

Number 3 and 4 would be devastating news to me. 1 and 2 would be acceptable outcomes.

Fingers crossed and I should have my answer by noon on 3/25.
Sending you good vibes for tomorrow!

Which means we expect to hear by 12:05...okay maybe 12:15. In all seriousness, good luck tomorrow. Hope it goes well.
It's either gonna be old fashions for lunch or behaving for Saturdays run lol. One way or another I'll either be venting or in a good mood and will come here to post. I haven't discussed any of this stuff on my personal facebook page at this time. Mostly because people will think I am crazy for being mad about not being able to run when I have a heart issue. Come to think of it, I may be a little crazy...

Question on the topic of BQ:

I am turning 54 in August. The way I read the historical info - before Covid and assuming they go back to that next year, if I run a marathon after September 1, 2022 (thinking about the Hartford Marathon on 10/8/22), and assuming I run it faster than 3hrs 35min 00sec, I could use that time as a qualifying time for the 2024 Boston Marathon at which time I will be 55 and would fall into the 55-59 age group. Is this correct?

Question on the topic of BQ:

I am turning 54 in August. The way I read the historical info - before Covid and assuming they go back to that next year, if I run a marathon after September 1, 2022 (thinking about the Hartford Marathon on 10/8/22), and assuming I run it faster than 3hrs 35min 00sec, I could use that time as a qualifying time for the 2024 Boston Marathon at which time I will be 55 and would fall into the 55-59 age group. Is this correct?

It is your age on the Boston race day that determines your BQ time, not your age when you qualify. I ran my BQ at age 44 but will be age 45 on the day of the Boston Marathon. Even though I was 44 when I ran the BQ I just had to beat the 45-49 time to get in. If you are running a race on 9/1/2022 you just need to beat the time for the age you will be in April 2024 so 55-59, not 50-54.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter