• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread -- 2022

Running - 73 miles - slightly down as vacation came into play. And some work
Biking - 248 miles - same as above.

Ironically both totals where what I had planned for my monthly totals at the year begin. The heat and humidity really hit hard in July here in the Southern Piedmont of North Carolina. Heat indexes north of 70 are the norm for the month.

July Running
61.5 miles
HR avg 147bpm
13:24 avg pace (13:03 adj. avg)

I'm very happy with this month overall. I've just started ramping up training in earnest, with a HM at the end of September and then the WDW full marathon 4 months later. Heat has been brutal, and I spent more time on a treadmill than I'd prefer, but it's a good start to a great second half of the year.

July Totals:

Running: 41 miles
Medical procedures: 2 (Second to fix the first one)
Blood Loss: 3-4 pints

Losing 30% of your blood puts a real crimp in your running, especially in the heat of summer. I've been able to manage 2-3 SLOW miles at a time, with walk breaks. I'm on the road to recovery, no long-term problems, working on getting the tank refilled.

July Totals:

Running: 41 miles
Medical procedures: 2 (Second to fix the first one)
Blood Loss: 3-4 pints

Losing 30% of your blood puts a real crimp in your running, especially in the heat of summer. I've been able to manage 2-3 SLOW miles at a time, with walk breaks. I'm on the road to recovery, no long-term problems, working on getting the tank refilled.
Hope everything is going well. Let me know if you need anything. My motivation is lacking. At the moment am just doing 4 runs per week, but I am trying to hike one day. Whisky keeps me moving though even if it is not running. Though I am thinking she will run with me on easy run days, once it gets a tad cooler here.

Hope everything is going well. Let me know if you need anything. My motivation is lacking. At the moment am just doing 4 runs per week, but I am trying to hike one day. Whisky keeps me moving though even if it is not running. Though I am thinking she will run with me on easy run days, once it gets a tad cooler here.
Ok. Took me a second to realize that Whisky was a dog in this scenario. Otherwise I was going to suggest rehab. :D

Ok. Took me a second to realize that Whisky was a dog in this scenario. Otherwise I was going to suggest rehab. :D
You are correct though in that she is named after Whisky Scotch. I was trying to be creative and think of things i like. I like bourbon, but that did not sound good as a dog name. Then I was like but bourbon is whiskey, however i had to be creative and go with the Scotch spelling of whisky. I do like a drink called a Whisky Daisy, so that is what I landed on. I also thought certain things would sound funny since my dog is Whisky :).

You are correct though in that she is named after Whisky Scotch. I was trying to be creative and think of things i like. I like bourbon, but that did not sound good as a dog name. Then I was like but bourbon is whiskey, however i had to be creative and go with the Scotch spelling of whisky. I do like a drink called a Whisky Daisy, so that is what I landed on. I also thought certain things would sound funny since my dog is Whisky :).

There's a joke to be made in here somewhere about Whisky Business as you cruise through your runs.

Calling all you world travelers: I'm taking a trip to Montreal for a long weekend, and have a few 10k and a little longer training runs to do while I'm there. Any recommendations for scenic or park routes? I'm staying in what seems like the center of town.

Calling all you world travelers: I'm taking a trip to Montreal for a long weekend, and have a few 10k and a little longer training runs to do while I'm there. Any recommendations for scenic or park routes? I'm staying in what seems like the center of town.

Welcome to our little part of the world :wave:

Will you have a car? Some of the nicer running trails in Montreal aren't easily accessible by public transit.

Some of my recommendations:
- Mount Royal is the quintessential running spot. Just a hop skip and jump from downtown. You can climb all the way up to the cross and the belvedere which overlooks the whole city.
- If you have a car, Frederic-Back park is the best running place in the city imho. It's a 5k loop around an old quarry. I always joke that I'm running in Teletubby land since it's so bucolic
- Lachine Rapids Bike Path. Can be accessed from Lasalle metro station.
- Notre Dame island. Can be accessed from the yellow line. If there are no events going on and you're a Formula One fan, you can run on the actual F1 track.

Will you have a car? Some of the nicer running trails in Montreal aren't easily accessible by public transit.

- Mount Royal is the quintessential running spot. Just a hop skip and jump from downtown. You can climb all the way up to the cross and the belvedere which overlooks the whole city.
- If you have a car, Frederic-Back park is the best running place in the city imho. It's a 5k loop around an old quarry. I always joke that I'm running in Teletubby land since it's so bucolic
- Notre Dame island. Can be accessed from the yellow line. If there are no events going on and you're a Formula One fan, you can run on the actual F1 track.
Yes! I will have a car. I will check out what is easy for me to find. Thank you so much!

She wanted bigger and better, so I've scoured the cosplay books for tips and am trying to make her ideas into reality. Chronicling the progress here if you want to see what we're up to (link).
Reminds me of the famous directions George Lucas used to give while directing Star Wars. Faster and more intense. And yes, I did think about those directions while running the inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon at Disneyland and seeing a runner dressed as George Lucas complete with beard, flannel, and directors megaphone giving encouragement to everyone on the course.

July miles: 60.56.

A 31.62 mile increase over June. My second highest mileage total of the year behind only January, which had Dopey. So it's my most consistent month of the year.

Finally a month in which my intent to run more consistently actually resulted in running more consistently. This total does not include 3 days at Disneyland the beginning of the month or walking in a 4th of July parade that my nephew was excited to be in because for some reason I chose not to start my Garmin.

Welcome!

I second that! From downtown, the Mount Royal (go through Mc Gill University campus/McTavish street) and the Old Port (from where you can also go to Lachine Canal or Notre Dame Island) are your best bet. Montreal core is easy to cover by foot, safe and enjoyable.

ETA: This has routes too if it helps
https://greatruns.com/location/montreal-quebec/

Last edited:
Welcome!

I second that! From downtown, the Mount Royal (go through Mc Gill University campus/McTavish street) and the Old Port (from where you can also go to Lachine Canal or Notre Dame Island) are your best bet. Montreal core is easy to cover by foot, safe and enjoyable.

ETA: This has routes too if it helps
https://greatruns.com/location/montreal-quebec/
Oh wow awesome I didn't know about this website! Thank you so much! It does look beautiful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter