The Running Thread -- 2022

August Totals:

Running - 95.4 miles
Swimming - 4.7 hours
Dog walking - 23 miles

I haven't been on the boards much lately, but I'm still lurking around. I'm currently marathon training for Chicago and it's going okay. I'm feeling good overall, but I'm having some trouble balancing work/life/training, along with managing a house full of teenagers, and OMG teenage girl drama is the worst! It's so mentally exhausting!! So yeah, I missed a couple of runs this month because I opted for a mental health weekend of drinking & shopping with friends. :)
I hear it gets better when they turn 25 and sometimes they even apologize.

August Totals:

Running: 80 miles
Average Pace: 11:13

Most miles since June 2021. Pace is slow compared to history, but moving in the right direction. At some point in your life, Easy, 5k, 10k, HM, M pace converge to 'your pace'.

I have Rocket City Half on the calendar for the first week of December. Goal is to finish. Not sure how I'm going to get from where I am to where I need to be in December.

It was a crazy month. Highest weekly mileage ever, highest monthly mileage ever and most kicks I’ve ever received by a horse in one incident. I’m currently training for the Chicago Marathon again so I knew August would be my highest mileage month so far this year.

August 2022
Miles: 229.08
Time: 38:02:32
Average Pace: 9:58

So close to 230!!! I skipped two days of strides after getting beat up by a horse which would have given me that extra mile. My highest mileage week was 55.1 and I haven’t even hit peak week yet 😱

August 2022 totals
Distance: 206.3km (128mi)
Average pace: 6m42s/km (10:47/mi)
YTD: 1295km on 2022km

The let’s ramp up training in the heat month while covering for people in vacation at work! Plus a slightly bored DD14 that was compensating by running-walking-biking-swimming-repeat! What a trouper though, she was also cooking most meals 😍 DD16 found a job and moved to my mom’s for that while to ease transportation. They had a great time.

With both DD back to school, I am trying to look back and analyse the month. It is a bit in a haze. Before looking at the numbers, I thought that it was terrible. It is better than for most of my past Marathon training, except for last year. My longest run so far is shorter than 16km. I think that I will have a great September if I keep realistic goals and make sure to remind myself that I run for pleasure and health. I reflected a lot on this recently and my conclusions lead to registering to runDisney Springtime Surprise Challenge 🌸

August: Good month for me, as my monthly total was the highest since last October---which is sad to think about since it's all due to injury. I canceled my NY Marathon registration (no way to properly train in time after my broken bone) and got my money back through race insurance. Allianz is going to blacklist me since I am 2 for 2 when it comes to claims, but they are super easy to deal with.

And now, the digression.......Every time I go for a run, I go through the same existential brain lock on "what I want to do with my running". I just don't see racing as being a draw anymore--I'm almost 64 and have truly set my PRs already. I also am thinking that the marathon distance may be too hard on my body--it always finds a new and exciting injury to throw my way. That leaves doing races for "the experience"--but I don't think that will be enough for me. Seriously, other than the Goof Troop of 2020, I have always raced even Disney as best I could (@garneska, we are just not going to think about MW2022!)

I need to find the thing that is emotionally satisfying.....guess I still have work to do.

And now, the digression.......Every time I go for a run, I go through the same existential brain lock on "what I want to do with my running". I just don't see racing as being a draw anymore--I'm almost 64 and have truly set my PRs already. I also am thinking that the marathon distance may be too hard on my body--it always finds a new and exciting injury to throw my way. That leaves doing races for "the experience"--but I don't think that will be enough for me. Seriously, other than the Goof Troop of 2020, I have always raced even Disney as best I could (@garneska, we are just not going to think about MW2022!)

I need to find the thing that is emotionally satisfying.....guess I still have work to do.
I think I can understand where you are coming from. I'll be 65 in October. Last January's Disney Marathon is probably the last marathon I will run ( I've run 5 but the first was at age 60). I'm still entering a lot of 10 mile and HM runs (I don't call them races anymore) and enjoying them, but I look ahead and don't see many that I want to go all out for and call them "A" races.

I posted somewhere on the Boards a while ago that even without many "A" races I still have a lot of fun in the excitement of a big race. "the experience" as you call it still draws me to the events, and running at a slower, easier pace does not diminish it. It can be the opposite, in that with no performance pressure, I can just have fun. I also get emotional satisfaction just enjoying the fact that at my age I am still out there doing my thing. I read somewhere the concept of replacing PR attempts with attempts to finish faster than the average of all my (recent?) past races at that distance. I may try that out and see how it fits.

I don't know how many more years I will run. I will probably slowly do fewer longer runs. So my last marathon was 2022, perhaps my last HM will be 2027, and my last 10K in 2032 when I turn 75. Then it's 5Ks until I die, or my body simply wears out.

I have not rode a bike since college, but I am also in a brain lock that I should replace some of my trail running with trail biking. The trails I run on are generally nice crushed limestone with almost no rocks and roots. I hoping that might give me joy and prolong my running (fewer aches pains and injuries).

Good luck in you elusive search to continue to find meaning and joy in running!

Last edited:
XTERRA Tremblant 6km Trail - A coach and mother race report

DD14 has been running in a semi-organized way for five years. She saw her mother happily training, racing and going to WDW without her (!!!) in 2017. She decided that she wanted to have fun too and it is still what we aim for. She always loved the outdoors and takes every occasion to enjoy it.

She ran a sub-20 5k last Spring and while she wants to improve on her time, she also wants to try new things. She looked online for what races were offered and how they would fit in her calendar. She found the XTERRA series: Triathlons with open water swimming (ok), mountain biking (no go, she has never done it) and trail running (yes!). It was possible to register for the Trail Run portion only. She took the longest event available to a 14y.o.

There were registration hiccups that I helped troubleshoot. We understood why when showing up to the event: It was the first year that the Trail Runs were offered as standalone.

The location was in a beautiful private park/mountain called Domaine St-Bernard, in the municipality of Mont-Tremblant. We had to pay a reasonable fee for the entrance that also included parking. The site (bib pickup, beach, transition, finish line) was well organized. The weather, gorgeous.

We saw the departure of the Standard Triathlon and the 20km Trail. After a 10 minutes warmup, we attended the pre-race presentation. The explanations were clear: all three 6km runners understood they had to follow red and Sprint markers while the five 11km runners knew to follow Standard. The start signal was given right on time!

DD goal for that race was to enjoy. So, for the first time she took her phone with her in order to take pictures along the way. “What’s the point of climbing a mountain if I can’t admire the view” she said. She took three breaks for it:
098A77A5-DE92-4E1D-BD72-960E9EC8164A.jpeg
0FFCEF3E-5725-4995-AD04-8E9893BEC6F7.jpeg
While she was in the woods, DH, DD16 and I encouraged some athletes during their transition. DH is now tempted to try a tri next year. 25 minutes after the start, we moved to the finish line area. DD eventually appeared in the field.
689E196F-C9BD-4484-B096-1766AEEF9464.jpeg
I ran back yelling “she is coming”. She asked later why I had started encouraging her with more than 500m to finish, I usually do that in the last 100m. It was to warn the race organization who was mostly attending the Triathlon Sprint Swim. So, with the Sportstats timer attendant, the music DJ and one race official we welcomed (and iPhone photographed) her! It’s not the number of cheerleaders, it’s their enthusiasm that counts, right?
EFE5443A-B3C8-4178-AA64-E7901D79BC4C.jpeg

She completed the 6km in 32:53, including picture stops (it sounds like me at a Disney race). The animator then came and congratulated her, he had been taken by surprise by her speed. We all understood, she is a surprising kid. We waited 20 more minutes for the next runner to arrive, and kept cheering for a good while.

DD was served a pulled pork warm meal. The medals ceremony got postponed by an hour but, for us, it was worth the two hours wait to finally get a real podium and a real winner medal!
CFED09AE-FB7E-4276-B758-7528B327EE5C.jpeg

DD is enchanted with her experience. She will want more trail in her future. We recognize that the event is geared towards triathlons with a desire to expand their offerings. They are doing a good job at it so I would recommend them to someone not looking for huge crowds. And we might be there next year!

@jmasgat i agree not even thinking about how bad MW 2022 was. So much pain. I am still not even sure fully recovered and yet signed up for Marathon 2023. I am hoping no pain, just slower. It’s been a tough year so just hoping to get through. Motivation is lacking. However I am going on vacation as I type this. On the plane. Once back I will start training.

This is why I run in a sparkle skirt or a tutu for all of my races. I’m not ever going to be “one of the fast ones” and setting PRs takes a lot more discipline than I usually have. So bringing some fun and lightening the mood for others is what’s emotionally satisfying for me. I hope you are able to find your key.
. I hoping that might give me joy and prolong my running (fewer aches pains and injuries).

Good luck in you elusive search to continue to find meaning and joy in running!
Kerry, I really hope you’re at the HH meetup this coming year. (And I wish you’d post more because your responses are always so thoughtful.)

And now, the digression.......

You said all the things I'm thinking. I'm 61. It makes me sad, but all my PRs are behind me. It's good to be running long enough for that to be the case.

I'd like to do another marathon (number 13, this should go well!), but just not sure I could get through the training.

I'm just finding joy that I'm still out there doing it, no matter what the pace.

A body in motion remains in motion...

August 2022 Training Summary

Running duration = 36:42 hours
Running mileage = 258 miles
Average Pace = 8:32 min/mile (about 70 sec/mile slower than recent marathon)
Average HR = 130 (15 bpm less than recent marathon)
Total Ascent/Mile = 36.2 ft/mi
Strength Training = 4:17 hours
Total Training Time = 41:00 hours

G training = 0

Ended up being longer than I expected, so skip over if you'd like.

August training went well. I'm in the process of wrapping up Week 20 of 30 in the Canova style marathon training plan. I'm just about done with the Fundamental phase, and am about to enter the Specific phase. Things get real intense for the last 10 weeks. In my entire training history, I've done 8 training runs with a pace under 7:30 and longer than 90 minutes. So that covers probably about 5 years that I've arguably had a similar fitness level. The last 10 weeks of this training plan has 7 such runs. So saying this ending is going to be intense could be putting it mildly. And he doesn't allow T+D adjustments in the last phase. You either do the assigned pace, or the workout is over. With that being said, I can't argue with the results thus far. It's arguable, but according to the HR vs T+D Adj Pace metric that I track my current fitness level is at an all-time high besting when I pulled off a 20:05 5k, 39:55 10k, 1:30 HM, and 3:15 M during the 2018 Dopey coming in 20th place overall.
1661994733219.png

Personally, I feel like the slow end pacing is at an all time best for me. But I still question my ability to maintain the faster end paces. And probably not by chance, but this is exactly what Canova states is the purpose of the last 10 weeks. He states that it is his belief that marathon runners tend to race too soon. That, like me, they'll see their fitness hit all-time highs towards the end of their training (or something similar to the Fundamental phase he has) and feel race ready. They'll race, but not be able to hit that standard they were looking for. His argument is that last 10 weeks is what is missing. The specificity phase. At this point, I'm still holding my breath I can stay healthy and also finish out the plan to the best of my ability. This month was a Top 10 volume month for me, and I put in a 9.25 hr week last week. History tells me my body doesn't like to be here, so it'll be interesting to see whether it tolerates the Canova methodology here towards the tail end of training.

I've also been making a concerted effort to increase my elevation gain/mile. When I was at my peak in late 2017, I was closer to 40-42 ft/mile. But we moved neighborhoods and more lately hovered around 28-32 ft/mile. During Princess training I was down to 15-20 ft/mile. But now I've gotten it back up to 36 ft/mile by doing a route that essentially takes me up my hill and down my hill one mile at a time. Over and over and over. Did it for 21.7 miles last weekend. But it's my best option locally to try and increase my elevation gain.

As for G, she's been super busy with play performances, and has had little time for running. But as that winds down and school starts, we should be able to get back in the groove again. Our next race isn't until the Princess 5k in 2023, so we've got time.

On a separate but very sad note, we lost one of our own. A former runDisney disboards member's spouse passed away recently. They haven't posted in the runDisney section in a while. I'll leave out any identifying information, but just to say this runner was very fit, long history with fitness/running, we were training them for a BQ, was in a low/medium period of training, and simply passed in their sleep. I'll share what their spouse shared with me as a message to all of us, "Work less and play more". This truly was a shocking loss, and has helped put some aspects of life in perspective.

And now, the digression.......Every time I go for a run, I go through the same existential brain lock on "what I want to do with my running". I just don't see racing as being a draw anymore--I'm almost 64 and have truly set my PRs already. I also am thinking that the marathon distance may be too hard on my body--it always finds a new and exciting injury to throw my way. That leaves doing races for "the experience"--but I don't think that will be enough for me.

Have you ever thought about running with some new runners and help pace them to their goal races? I'm sure that you could find some fun groups to run with that way.

August 2022
I nearly doubled my running totals from June and July, and had my second highest mileage month of 2022 (January had 78.48 miles). Next week will be the peak of my current training plan, with 25 miles over 4 runs.

Running
Time: 17h 10m 40s
Miles: 75.26

Walking
Time: 4h 49m 7s
Miles: 13.95

Cycling
Time: 2h 18m 5s
Miles: 36.58

Cross Training
Time: 5h 15m 44s
Calories: 2,203

Another month in the books. August was still brutally hot and humid, but we did get a week or so of "Fake Fall" in the middle that allowed me to feel a bit better about my current fitness level and capability. I'm at the end of my taper for a 50k trail race this Saturday, so fingers crossed for decent temps and lower humidity for it. After the race I have to decide whether to go forward with my plan for a late October/early November marathon. I've been feeling some nagging aches creeping into my legs, so a step back instead of a jump right back into peak volume might be in order. We'll see. At any rate, here are August's numbers:

August Summary
Running Miles: 168.13
Running Time: 30:34:39
Average Pace: 10:55/mi
Average HR: 146/min
YTD Running Miles: 1294.74

Extras:
Walking Miles: 49.02
Rolling 12mo Running Miles: 1,953.83

The effects of the "Fake Fall" period are interesting to note as my average pace increased from 11:07/mile in July to 10:55/mile in August while my average HR decreased from 149 bpm to 146 bpm. Hope for real fall and winter!

August Totals

Running

Miles: 107.7
Time: 18:38:12
Average HR: 145

Walking
Miles: 30.8
Time: 10:25:41

Third month in a row over 100! Started tracking the walks (1 or 2 miles/day) that I take with my lab as well.

Last week, and then today, my Forerunner randomly shut off and when I turned it back on and synced it, it still didn't add back my daily steps. I'm thinking it is time to get a new watch. I like the idea of the Fenix 6s, but don't really want to drop that much money. Any other recommendations for a smaller Garmin that already has apps to track running, walking, and swimming?

August 2022
Running distance: 104.73 miles
Running time: 17:43:09
Average pace: 10:09
Strength training: 3:28:45
Karate: 5:40:55
Total training time: 28:11:45

I don't usually bother posting my monthly totals, but this is the first time I can remember running >100 mi in one month! Certainly not something I've done since high school if then. And I feel good - not overly worn out and knees still doing well. Exciting times!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter