The @ Sign

DisGirlAllie

DIS Veteran
So, as I've been reading the boards more and more lately I've noticed that people have been abbreviating about as @. Since when? :confused3 I've always thought @ meant at, not about.

It's a twitter thing. You will also see the increase of the # sign to mean what they're actually talking about. As in @DisGirlAllie #twitterabbreviation.

You only get a certain number of characters when you tweet, so they figured out a way to not need spaces.

It does mean "at". I've also noticed the misuse a time or two.

It's a twitter thing. You will also see the increase of the # sign to mean what they're actually talking about. As in @DisGirlAllie #twitterabbreviation.

You only get a certain number of characters when you tweet, so they figured out a way to not need spaces.

But doesn't "twitterabbreviation" tell me what they're talking about? What does the # tell me?

my old boss used to use it for both! I always wanted to say something! LOL But I did see it used once somewhere online here recently...

I was always told growing up that @ means "about." Does it not? I know once e-mail came into the picture it also started means "at." However, I knew it as about before at.

Yes, it's a new Twitter thing. Every member name has the @ before their member name. People are inappropriately putting it in non Twitter places and onto screennames OFF Twitter. Not everyone is @(screenname) when it isn't even about Twitter. :rolleyes:

Like here, instead of responding to the OP by quoting her or simply calling her by name, some people would say:

"@DisGirlAllie, the use of that symbol means. . ."

But THIS place isn't Twitter, it's the DIS. And the other places you've seen it used aren't Twitter, but they will use the @. :sad2:

Yes, it's a new Twitter thing. Every member name has the @ before their member name. People are inappropriately putting it in non Twitter places and onto screennames OFF Twitter. Not everyone is @(screenname) when it isn't even about Twitter. :rolleyes:

Like here, instead of responding to the OP by quoting her or simply calling her by name, some people would say:

"@DisGirlAllie, the use of that symbol means. . ."

But THIS place isn't Twitter, it's the DIS. And the other places you've seen it used aren't Twitter, but they will use the @. :sad2:

Thank you for explaining this! :worship: Now I get it! I had no idea why my niece (freshman in college) had taken to calling everyone "@Name" on Facebook. :lmao: I think of myself as fairly internet-savvy, but I don't twitter. Not yet, anyway. :lmao:

I've read this whole thread, and I still don't understand what you all are saying @ and # are being used to mean. I am not reading "at" or "about" with the any examples of the @.

What is it you are saying # means besides pound or number or tic-tac-toe?

As a symbol, I've never heard of @ meaning anything but "at". I guess it has some official name, but isn't it known as the "at symbol" in typing class?

On Facebook I have seen people type things like @KristaTX and it still confuses me. I finally figured out that it means a comment is directed at KristaTX, but when I type a comment directed at a specific individual, I just type "KristaTX - blah blah blah" like I would in a note to someone :confused3.

Thank you for explaining this! :worship: Now I get it! I had no idea why my niece (freshman in college) had taken to calling everyone "@Name" on Facebook. :lmao: I think of myself as fairly internet-savvy, but I don't twitter. Not yet, anyway. :lmao:

Yep, perfect example.

The problem with that is you aren't on Twitter yet. When you go to join Twitter, there may already be an @Laurie31, or you may decide on a totally new name, like @Laurie3100 or DisGirlAllie may want to be called @TwitterGirlAllie. So when your niece is improperly using it, she might be accidentally using someone else's Twitter name or referring to you by a name that you don't/won't have. :sad2:

I don't know a lot about Twitter, but as far as I know, an appropriate use of the @(screenname) on another site or correspondence is when quoting someone from Twitter. Like when we post a news or web article, we include the corresponding link. To refer to a Twitter Tweet, one would say, "@(screenname) just Tweeted this joke or picture. . ." Then people would know to go to Twitter and enter @(screenname) to find that person's corresponding Twitter page. The @(screenname) IS the link to their Twitter page.

Your niece is referring to you as @Laurie31, when you don't even have a page. :rolleyes:

I've read this whole thread, and I still don't understand what you all are saying @ and # are being used to mean. I am not reading "at" or "about" with the any examples of the @.

What is it you are saying # means besides pound or number or tic-tac-toe?

As a symbol, I've never heard of @ meaning anything but "at". I guess it has some official name, but isn't it known as the "at symbol" in typing class?

On Facebook I have seen people type things like @KristaTX and it still confuses me. I finally figured out that it means a comment is directed at KristaTX, but when I type a comment directed at a specific individual, I just type "KristaTX - blah blah blah" like I would in a note to someone :confused3.

It's like this, when we see @ before a .com address we usually know it's referring to someone email address: KristaTX@madeupemail.com

When the @ is in front of a person's name it's SUPPOSED to denote the link for a person's Twitter address:

Click on these links for examples:
@AshtonKutcher
@charliesheen

People are inappropriately putting it in front of people's names on FACEBOOK - not Twitter, when some people don't even have a Twitter page. :rolleyes: Plus Twitter is Twitter and Facebook is Facebook. :sad2:

If people went to the link for @KristaTX <- - that is what they would get, because you don't have a page, but your friend is referring to you like you have a Twitter page.

So how are people using to mean "about"? I guess @AshtonKutcher means about Ashton Kutcher? As in his Twitter site is about him.

But. . .are people using @ to mean "about" in sentences? As in, "What you talkin' @, Willis?" :confused:

What is it people are using # for besides the traditional meanings?

I'm old timey I suppose. I still don't even like it when people use asterisks around words in place of quotation marks or for emphasis or whatever it is they use asterisks for. And I still put two spaces after periods, and I also use a comma before "and" and "or" in a series :).

Yep, perfect example.

The problem with that is you aren't on Twitter yet.
When you go to join Twitter, there may already be an @Laurie31, or you may decide on a totally new name, like @Laurie3100 or DisGirlAllie may want to be called @TwitterGirlAllie. So when your niece is improperly using it, she might be accidentally using someone else's Twitter name or referring to you by a name that you don't/won't have. :sad2:

I don't know a lot about Twitter, but as far as I know, an appropriate use of the @(screenname) on another site or correspondence is when quoting someone from Twitter. Like when we post a news or web article, we include the corresponding link. To refer to a Twitter Tweet, one would say, "@(screenname) just Tweeted this joke or picture. . ." Then people would know to go to Twitter and enter @(screenname) to find that person's corresponding Twitter page. The @(screenname) IS the link to their Twitter page.

Your niece is referring to you as @Laurie31, when you don't even have a page. :rolleyes:

ROTFL at the bolded. I know what you meant, but I've been told that before...but so far I am resisting the urge to tweet. lol

And my niece refers to EVERYONE like that it seems. As in she will post on Facebook something like "@Roommate and I went and got ice cream tonight after class with @JaneDoe, @SusanSmith, and @JoanJones. We saw @BrianBrown and @WillWilliams while we were out."

I'm thinking, @HUH??? :lmao:

But yes, now I get it! :thumbsup2

On Facebook though, you can "tag" people in your posts. If I type "@Husband Name" Facebook auto-formats it to appear as just "Husband Name" with a link to his profile. If I want to do this but I'm sloppy about it, I might type "@Hubby" instead of his full name, and then Facebook doesn't know who I am talking about and does not auto-format, so it appears in the post as "@Hubby."

People are inappropriately putting it in front of people's names on FACEBOOK - not Twitter, when some people don't even have a Twitter page. :rolleyes: Plus Twitter is Twitter and Facebook is Facebook. :sad2:

If people went to the link for @KristaTX <- - that is what they would get, because you don't have a page, but your friend is referring to you like you have a Twitter page.

Are they? Or do they have their tweets automatically posting to their facebook feed?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter