The Single Girl's Guide to Doing WDW Solo - A Sept. 2014 Trip Report (COMPLETED)

Elevationist

Princess No-Pants
::MickeyMo:butterfly::MinnieMo
The Single Girl's Guide to Doing Walt Disney World Solo
(For The First Time, Actually!)

:cutie:
A September 2014 Trip Report

Hi, everybody! I just returned yesterday from my first ever SOLO trip to Walt Disney World! It was a WONDERFUL trip... I hope you'll all enjoy reliving my memories here with me! :cutie:

THE DETAILS:

Who: Just Me, Myself, and I!
What: My First Solo Trip
When: September 20-28, 2014
Where: Disney's Pop Century Resort (Plus a couple of off-property joints)
Why: Because I'd been waiting for 5 years for somebody to travel with, and finally got tired of putting my life (and WDW) on hold! :D

THE SINGLE GIRL:

prof2.jpg

ME: Billie, 33 years old :cutie:
~ WDW planning is my life. I work as a travel agent and my favorite part of my job are my Walt Disney World clients. I wish I could say I'm a lifelong WDW junkie, but sadly that's just not the case. I have memories my first trip when I was 5 years old, with my mother and father and grandmother. But coming from a family who doesn't vacation, I wasn't exposed to WDW again until I was 17 and a senior in high school. We came down for "Grad Night," but being thrill-seeking teenagers, Disney was boring and Universal was more fun. (I'm hanging my head in shame even as I type this! :sad2: ) Fortunately, a year and a half later, a good friend who did have a love of Disney invited me to join her on a trip at the beginning of January 2000. And wouldn't you know it, I had the most amazing time, and I cried the night we left. I finally understood the magic, and I have been hooked ever since, returning as often as possible! Thanks to a combination of poor finances and no traveling companion, this was my first trip "home" in nearly five years... the longest I've EVER gone between WDW trips as an adult. :yay:

Favorite Character: Minnie Mouse
Favorite Movie: Beauty and the Beast
Favorite Princess: Belle
Favorite Park: Epcot
Favorite Ride: Tie between Splash Mountain and Soarin'

DAY 1
Sept. 20th, 2014 - Saturday

Travel/Arrival

After being up until the wee hours of the morning packing and cleaning my apartment, the day was finally here!

One of my two cats, Harley, thought he would help me pack my last-minute items... or try to stop me from leaving, I'm not sure which. But anytime the suitcase comes out... Every.Single.Time.

20140920_045842_1.jpg

And so after almost a year of planning and saving and planning some more... It was time! My stomach was totally in knots from nerves and excitement.

Had my MagicBand, ready to go!

MagicBand3.jpg

I have the fortunate luck of living within driving distance to Walt Disney World. Without any stops or traffic delays, it takes about 5 hours to get from my front door to Mickeys. :smickey:

route.png

That being said, I don't have a great car, it's kind of a piece of junk. But it does it's job of getting me around town, and to work and back. So I love it. However, I don't trust it on a road trip. So for my Disney trips, I get a rental. (Besides, sometimes it's just fun to drive a nicer, newer car than your own!) :cool2:

I had reserved a Compact back in July, spoke to the people at my local Enterprise multiple times, even called a few days before my pick-up date just to reconfirm. I'm there waiting as soon as they open the doors at 9am. Guess what? NO CARS. None. :headache: Apparently none of the cars that were supposed to be returned the evening before ever showed up...

colbert-what.gif

But it's cool! I'm going to Disney World, it's all good! I have a seat and patiently wait, and at about 9:45am they tell me they're getting my vehicle ready. Sweet! And just before 10am, they pull this around for me...

20140920_094747.jpg

And so then I was all...

carlton-dance-gif.gif

It was a Ford Escape. I love small SUVs. As a travel agent, I recognized that this was about a FOUR category upgrade from the Compact I had reserved, plus I knew how much I technically SHOULD be paying for this class of vehicle. I was SUPER stoked, and thrilled that my trip was starting out with such pixie dust!

20140920_095037.jpg

As I drive an older Toyota Corolla, this was a lot more car than I'm used to. I pulled it into the empty Lowe's parking lot next door, adjusted my seat, the steering wheel, my mirrors, and did a couple of laps around the lot to get the feel of it.

Then I was off! A quick swing into Taco Bell (because I at that moment, I needed a celebratory waffle taco in my life), and a stop for gas, and I was ON MY WAY! :drive:

tumblr_ky9sr4d8l71qzvpvu.gif

Everything went swimmingly for the first 2.5 hours or so. And then... Jacksonville. Traffic. Rain. Construction. This is where I first learned that most Florida drivers are total buttholes. I managed to make it through after a few ugly boughts of road rage, but good lord!

About the time I hit Daytona and I-4, I had rumbly in my tumbly. I have a strict policy while on vacation to only eat things I can't get easily at home. So I immediately sought out this delight....

krystals.jpg

I sooooo miss living near one of these! Cheese Krystals are so gooooood! (And make excellent road food!)

Onto I-4! On... to... I-4.... and Orlando...

Traffic... Oh. My. God. :furious:

So, this was pretty much me for the rest of the drive...

aaoG2VSbUdUe4.gif

The traffic and the people were AWFUL! Even once I got off on 192 to get to my Kissimmee hotel for that first night, I thought I was going to have a stroke... or a heart attack... or ball up in the floorboard and cry... it really was that terrifying. :scared:

tumblr_inline_na1w0cklrY1rrosi0.gif

Eventually, though, I did make it to my destination alive and well. I wasn't due to check-in at Pop Century until the following day (Sunday), but I decided to get a headstart on my trip and drive down a day early. I got a great deal on a room through work, here at the Clarion Suites Maingate in Kissimmee.

Clarion_Suites_Maingate_%28008%29.jpg

Check-in was a breeze, and was assigned to Room 114, first floor and just around the corner from the lobby, pool, etc. Got the King bed I requested, too...

20140920_160751.jpg

20140920_160843.jpg

20140920_160915.jpg

20140920_161000.jpg

My ONLY complaint about this place was the mattress. Either they don't flip them enough, or it's just old as hell. It had a hump in the middle, and two dips on either side of it. You could physically feel the sinkholes from people sleeping on either side of it over the years. Now back to the theme of this trip report... As a single girl, I'm used to sleeping ALL OVER the bed, quite often in the middle. Rolling in and out of other people's body craters wasn't very comfy! :sad2:

But, like I said, everything thing else was wonderful. The pool area was big and clean and pristine. The breakfast area, while busy, was also clean and plentiful, lots of hot options. Honestly, for anybody in the neighborhood for an affordable pre- or post-night hotel, I would recommend them. Just if you get a crappy mattress like I did, ask for another room! :thumbsup2

Since it was only about 5pm at this point, I wandered on down to the pool area for a couple hours, just to lounge in a chair and do me some people watching.

Here's my happy toes!

20140920_173057.jpg

Finally I carried myself back to the room, polished off the rest of my Krystals (I had ordered a sackful, don't judge me!), showered, and crawled in bed for an early night.

Up Next... Checking in at Pop Century!

Billie, I saw your post on the Sept thread and am joining in on your TR. I'll only be here sporadically as we are still on vacation (we left Disney last Friday and are now on Marco Island until next Sunday).

Love your intros; what is it with pets and hopping in the suitcases?:lmao:

Florida drivers are horrible (they were going 75 on our way to Marco is a torrential thunderstorm) but they are actually worse in Atlanta.

I'm glad you made it safely. The hotel you stayed at looks very nice and pool time is always great.

Were you by any chance in Hollywood Studios yesterday (Sunday) morning by the Art of Animation building? You look familiar. I'll follow along and see if we were in the same places at the same times. So far I have been unable to bump into anyone that was there at the same time as we were. :worried:

Following! Loving your trip report so far. You really crack me up! I admire your gumption for going solo :) can't wait to re-live your trip with you!

Billie, I saw your post on the Sept thread and am joining in on your TR. I'll only be here sporadically as we are still on vacation (we left Disney last Friday and are now on Marco Island until next Sunday).

Love your intros; what is it with pets and hopping in the suitcases?:lmao:

Florida drivers are horrible (they were going 75 on our way to Marco is a torrential thunderstorm) but they are actually worse in Atlanta.

I'm glad you made it safely. The hotel you stayed at looks very nice and pool time is always great.
Kat! YAY! I'm so glad you're here, even if only sporadically! :hug: I hope you're having a WONDERFUL vacation!!

Both of my boys can't resist an empty suitcase or box. All I have to do is set one on the bed or floor, turn my back, then look back and BOOM! There's a cat in it. It's hilarious. The photo in my post particularly cracked me up when I looked and saw that Harley, realizing that the body of the suitcase was already full of stuff, chose to improvise by just sprawling out across the open top of it. :rotfl: "IF I FITS, I SITS."

OMG Florida drivers!!! It was the same for me! Raining and there they are, 15-20 over the speed limit, weaving in and out of traffic, cutting me off, etc... I was saying Hail Marys, and I'm not even Catholic! :laughing:

The pool lounging time WAS nice. Just a nice relaxed way to start my trip. I was really glad I decided to leave a day early, between having to wait for my car for an hour and then all the traffic driving down. Had I waited to drive down on Sunday, it would have put me seriously behind schedule.

Were you by any chance in Hollywood Studios yesterday (Sunday) morning by the Art of Animation building? You look familiar. I'll follow along and see if we were in the same places at the same times. So far I have been unable to bump into anyone that was there at the same time as we were. :worried:
Hi, and welcome! :wave2:

Unfortunately Sunday morning I was eating a late breakfast at Boma, then starting my drive home. :sad1: I actually had a day left on my ticket, I wanted to give myself the option to go to a park that morning, but I was so exhausted by that point, and had a long drive ahead of me, so I made the responsible choice. I'm actually glad I did... Driving home I was struggling with sleepyness. Had I tried to do a park that morning befe driving, I would have been absolutely ruined! :scared:

Following! Loving your trip report so far. You really crack me up! I admire your gumption for going solo :) can't wait to re-live your trip with you!
Hi, Cinderkelly! :wave2: I'm so glad you're here! I hope I can continue to be entertaining! :dance3:

Hi Billie! :wave2: I'm looking forward to following along! I bet there will be a time in my life where I just HAVE to head down to WDW solo, so I'm excited to hear about your travels.

And, obviously your cat didn't want you to leave home :rotfl: what a cutie.

Hi Billie! Great start! I would love to do a solo trip at some point, however that might be in another lifetime!:rotfl:

Anyway, can't wait to see how that week shaped up for you. We will be down there around the same time next year... it feels like light-years away!:sad:

Hi Billie! :wave2: I'm looking forward to following along! I bet there will be a time in my life where I just HAVE to head down to WDW solo, so I'm excited to hear about your travels.

And, obviously your cat didn't want you to leave home :rotfl: what a cutie.
Hi, and welcome! :wave2: I actually HIGHLY advise a solo trip! I was pretty nervous leading up to it, but it turned out to be probably the BEST vacation I've had! I did what I want, when I wanted. No debating, no bickering, no arguing. I got up when I wanted, went to bed when I wanted. ate what I wanted, rode what I wanted, watched what I wanted, took breaks when I wanted. I loved it.... Turns out that solo traveling suits me JUST fine! :thumbsup2

Oh, those silly kitties. According to my coworker, who came by three times during the week with her 11-year-old daughter to check on them for me, do their litter box,and make sure they were good on food & water... they were EXTREMELY unhappy. Neither of them would come out from under the bed, and even pooped on the floor. :sad2: And in the just over 24 hours that I've been home, they've both been super needy and stuck to me like glue. Poor little things musta thought I was never coming back. :worried: So I've been giving them as many cuddles as they ask for, resulting in lots and lots of extra snuggletime! :hug:

Hi Billie! Great start! I would love to do a solo trip at some point, however that might be in another lifetime!:rotfl:

Anyway, can't wait to see how that week shaped up for you. We will be down there around the same time next year... it feels like light-years away!:sad:
Welcome, so glad you're here! :wave2: Your waiting time will go by fast, you'll see! At least... I hope it will... my next trip is 14 months away!! :surfweb: :lmao:

Welcome, so glad you're here! :wave2: Your waiting time will go by fast, you'll see! At least... I hope it will... my next trip is 14 months away!! :surfweb: :lmao:
It's hard when I've almost planned everything out in my head...:rotfl: However, the holidays will be here soon and before long it'll be time to make ADR's.

In the mean time, it's fun to relive the memories through these trip reports! :thumbsup2

It's hard when I've almost planned everything out in my head...:rotfl: However, the holidays will be here soon and before long it'll be time to make ADR's.

In the mean time, it's fun to relive the memories through these trip reports! :thumbsup2
Have you thought about doing a Pre-Trip Report, so you have a place to take all those plans in your head and put them down in writing to share with the rest of us who are also whiling away the months? I kinda wanted to do one for my recent trip, but never really got it started. So I'm going to probably start one for my Dec. 2015 trip sometime this week! :hyper:

Subscribed! Can't wait to hear all about your trip!!
Yay, welcome PippiDancer! :hug:

Oh GOODIE!
I love reading trip reports! Congrats on getting an awesome car to drive!!!

I have no idea what those burger things are?!?! Krystals?

The hotel room looks beautiful sorry the bed wasn't up to par.. Can't wait to read more!

Jumping in on your TR. :) I am a single girl too, so I am excited to read your adventures. :)

Joining! Love it so far! We were in WDW around same time (Sep 23rd-29th). Just got back yesterday! We went to MNSSHP Friday the 26th.

Oh GOODIE!
I love reading trip reports! Congrats on getting an awesome car to drive!!!

I have no idea what those burger things are?!?! Krystals?

The hotel room looks beautiful sorry the bed wasn't up to par.. Can't wait to read more!
OMG, the infamous Chicago Mo? Subbing to MY trip report? :faint: I'm flattered! Welcome! :wave2:

I nearly cried when I had to turn that car back in. And again when I had to get in my POS car to go to work this morning. :laughing:

Krystals are basically the South's answer to White Castle. lol. Very similar! But my closest one is 45 minutes away. So when I get near one, I gobble them up! :cloud9:

Jumping in on your TR. :) I am a single girl too, so I am excited to read your adventures. :)
Hi, fellow single girl! Looks like from your signature, we might be there at the same time in 2015! :thumbsup2

Joining! Love it so far! We were in WDW around same time (Sep 23rd-29th). Just got back yesterday! We went to MNSSHP Friday the 26th.
My MNSSHP was on Sunday, the 21st! I hope you had a WONDERFULLY MAGICAL vacation! How did you do with the rain? I was happy that it helped keep the temperatures down, at least! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter