The Swan?

mommie2angels

<font color=blue>Would you like to be in the pictu
We are thinking of taking a quick trip and staying at The Swan. Has anyone stayed there before? We have two daughters in wheelchairs and were wondering about the room set up. Any special request we should make? Thanks in advance for any help or advice you may have.

I have stayed at the Swan many many times (we tend to go to WDW for conferences that my dh goes to and that is where they put us). As I do for all hotels, I ask for an accessible room but specify that I do not require a roll in shower. I can't think of any problems or obvious issues with the room off the top of my head (I assume I would have noticed a bad bathroom layout as I have noticed this in other resorts). They have always given us a room close to the elevators, which is nice.

The only unique thing about the Swan is one you won't use-- you can store/recharge an ECV in a room marked "staff only" (immediately to the right facing the concierge desk). Since I can do short distances easily, I stash my charger there and also leave the ECV there overnight & don't bring it up to the room. For others reading this, also note that the Swan & Dolphin DO NOT have loaner wcs and cannot borrow from the WDW resorts.

You may wish to ask the direction that the bus loop goes, as I recall that I have either gotten off or boarded at the Dolphin before to avoid the scenic tour of the Yacht & Beach and Boardwalk. I don't go during peak times if I do take the bus so crowds have not been an issue, but definitely YMMV. Sorry for my bad memory re the bus, but when we stay there, my dh tends to provide chauffeur service for me before and after his work day. :D

The Swan is much quieter than the Dolphin, which I like and will likely be nice for your family. Remember, if you'd like, there is a path to walk to MGM. They offer a character brunch on certain days which tends to be much less crowded than the ones at the Disney resorts, arguably because people not staying there don't tend to trek over to the Swan.

I believe all of the rooms have been redone now, but you may wish to confirm. If not, you want the redone rooms! Otherwise, the a/c switches off if there is no motion and it gets horribly damp.

That is all I can think of. Have a great trip and let us know what you think! I honestly have not had any problems with them providing what I asked for, and we definitely have spent quite a bit of time there.

:wave: Cupcake

Hi, we've stayed at the Swan and really enjoyed it. I'm no help with the accessible room, as the ones we've stayed in have been a king bed with a roll-in shower and I am assuming you need two beds with the children.

One of the reasons we chose the Swan over the Dolphin is because the Swan is first on the bus routes and first off back from the parks. The first on is important because it always stops at the Dolphin next and, depending on the time of the year, will go to the Yacht Club, Beach Club and Boardwalk too before heading off to the parks. Being at the Swan meant that I didn't have to wait because the bus was full, although I did have to wait one time because there were two ECV's ahead of me(smile).

I also really enjoy the being able to take the boats or walk to both the Studios and Epcot. The pusher aka, my spouse(smile), often prefers take the scenic route through Epcot and we would get on the monorail there to the Magic Kingdom and we both enjoy the walkway to the Studios.

Hope you have a great trip!

Thank you so much for your help! We are looking forward to staying there.

I booked online through Dreams Unlimited. I think I have read somewhere that I need to call The Swan directly with any special request like non-smoking, handicapped accesible room and so for. Is that correct?

Thanks again for ya'll's help!!!

Kelli

Originally posted by mommie2angels
Thank you so much for your help! We are looking forward to staying there.

I booked online through Dreams Unlimited. I think I have read somewhere that I need to call The Swan directly with any special request like non-smoking, handicapped accesible room and so for. Is that correct?

Thanks again for ya'll's help!!!

Kelli
I don't know the answer, but I'm sure Figaro or cupcake do know, since they have stayed at the Swan before. In case they booked directly with the resort, not with a travel agent, here's some advice.
I'd suggest asking your DU travel agent as a first step. I think in general (keep in mind that we only use a travel agent for plane tickets and sometimes van) travel agents take care of the requests/special needs. If the travel agent doesn't know, then I think you need to call the Swan directly. I'm pretty sure that since it is not managed by Disney, the Special Reservations number for WDW resorts would not be used. Just make sure you specify exactly what it is you need. "Accessible room" means one thing to you and might mean something else entirely to your travel agent.
We have never styed at the Swan, but have visited and it looks like an awesome resort. Here's some pixie dust for a great trip.

I have found that it is almost always best to call the hotel yourself so that you can explain to the people what it is that you need. Travel agents often don't know about the different types of accessible rooms and so assume that just saying you need that kind of room is all of the information necessary.

The people at the Swan have always been just wonderful when I have explained what I need (roll-in shower, non-smoking, king bed and a fridge for medications). If you do contact your travel agent, make sure they have all of your requests very specifically, as you may end up getting an accessible room, but it would have just one bed, when you need two.

Good luck and let us know what happens!

When we stay there, our room is reserved as part of a convention block. I call and I tell them what I need (bathroom with grab bars, no need for roll in shower, close to elevator in case I leave the ECV downstairs). I agree with the others, you want to specify what you need as "accessible" can mean many things. The info has always been in our record when we arrived, and we have never had a problem getting a close in room even when we get in late (the same cannot be said for the WDW resorts).

:wave: Cupcake

Ya'll are the greatest!!! Thanks so very much! We are so excited!!! Called The Swan directly and they were super nice! Thanks again for all the help and advice!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter