• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Tenth Honeymoon is the Best One of Them All! - May '14 TR - COMPLETED 4/19

Even though we let her get her face painted, Emily is not fun on this ride because she is terrified of it. I don't get it. Her favorite ride is Rock 'n Roller Coaster. She also loves Expedition Everest and Space Mountain. What's the problem with this?

We have this same issue with our 9-year old. He loves every other ride in the Disney parks, and can ride the roughest coasters at Kennywood (our local amusement park), but is terrified of ToT :confused3 He said it's more everything that happens before the drops, but I can't imagine he really thinks all that is scary...I mean, it's so silly/campy....

Anyway, I'm with Kristin - this is one of my absolute favorites :thumbsup2

Oh, totally off topic, but I just realized you're from Bethlehem!!! We were there in April, looking at colleges with our oldest (he'll be a senior in the fall). We hit both Lafayette and Lehigh, spent just one night in Bethlehem, but really enjoyed the area!

Great update! Love all the photos. I always say I'm going to take a lot of pictures and then when I'm there I forget. My trip report is a sad, sad photoless place.

Still not time for ToT, so we hit Villains in Vogue. I love this store because it's basically all the crap I love - Haunted Mansion, Nightmare Before Christmas, Villains, Haunted Mansion, and Haunted Mansion. And Villains.

After reading this, I realize it's a shame we live so far apart. I think our families would be really good friends IRL! Those are all things we love as well. We're huge Halloween buffs, and I think Nightmare is totally under-represented in the parks. I have to find this store in September.

I love the picture of Kristin and Emily standing outside TOT doing the thumbs up/thumbs down thing. I think our 7 year old would be doing the same thing. She rode it once and said she loved the drops but hated the "scary family" and refused to ride again with my husband.

You got some really great pics on this day, of everything!

Another great update. I have to say I'm with Em on this one. I hate TOT, but love RnRC. Don't know why but I guess I don't like straight down drops. Was so glad when it was over. This year my husband is doing all the thrill rides with my 14 year old and I will ride the Great Movie Ride over and over again with my 12 year who even hates the drop on Pirates.

I was wondering if that might have been one of your shirts.

Pace yourself...don't want an unfinished report because you burnt out.

I love the new Etch-a-Sketch at TSM. I get so distracted by it when walking through the queue. LOL

TSM always jacks my arm up, but that's because I'm crazy and have to be best in car every time. :rotfl2:

The update to Star Tours was definitely a must. The other version was just so dated.

Hahahaha. Nice. The pot is amazing! Isn't it though? :rotfl2:

Awww, poor Emily being scared. Yup, kids don't make sense to me either. My nephew is terrified of Dinosaur, but loves all other rides he can get on, Tower of Terror included. And my other nephew that cried on Expedition Everest loves Dinosaur...... :lmao:

I had heard you were at Disney (MEK said someone spotted you), so I was hoping you'd be doing a TR. We missed you by 10 days. :(

I'm just back from my trip so will have to come back and catch up.

We have this same issue with our 9-year old. He loves every other ride in the Disney parks, and can ride the roughest coasters at Kennywood (our local amusement park), but is terrified of ToT :confused3 He said it's more everything that happens before the drops, but I can't imagine he really thinks all that is scary...I mean, it's so silly/campy....

Anyway, I'm with Kristin - this is one of my absolute favorites :thumbsup2

I can't wait until Emily starts to like it (which she will), so I can enjoy it, too!

Oh, totally off topic, but I just realized you're from Bethlehem!!! We were there in April, looking at colleges with our oldest (he'll be a senior in the fall). We hit both Lafayette and Lehigh, spent just one night in Bethlehem, but really enjoyed the area!

It's a great area, which is why we never left! Both are great schools, too. Good luck!

Great update! Love all the photos. I always say I'm going to take a lot of pictures and then when I'm there I forget. My trip report is a sad, sad photoless place.

I get accused of taking too many pictures. I went on a trip to St. Augustine in December, and my boss and team leader both laughed at me photographing their meals :)

After reading this, I realize it's a shame we live so far apart. I think our families would be really good friends IRL! Those are all things we love as well. We're huge Halloween buffs, and I think Nightmare is totally under-represented in the parks. I have to find this store in September.

I love the picture of Kristin and Emily standing outside TOT doing the thumbs up/thumbs down thing. I think our 7 year old would be doing the same thing. She rode it once and said she loved the drops but hated the "scary family" and refused to ride again with my husband.

You got some really great pics on this day, of everything!

Thanks!

I'm more the Halloween buff than Kristin, but she likes Nightmare and Haunted Mansion. The store is on the way to ToT.

At least we got a good picture showing Emily's disgust! At least she rode it, though...even if it took a bribe to get her on!

Another great update. I have to say I'm with Em on this one. I hate TOT, but love RnRC. Don't know why but I guess I don't like straight down drops. Was so glad when it was over. This year my husband is doing all the thrill rides with my 14 year old and I will ride the Great Movie Ride over and over again with my 12 year who even hates the drop on Pirates.

I was wondering if that might have been one of your shirts.

Pace yourself...don't want an unfinished report because you burnt out.

This report will complete! Can't stop now!

Dylan, who will go on ANY ride, now wants to go on that new freefall ride at Six Flags Great Adventure that drops from 415 feet. Whoa.

I love the new Etch-a-Sketch at TSM. I get so distracted by it when walking through the queue. LOL

TSM always jacks my arm up, but that's because I'm crazy and have to be best in car every time. :rotfl2:

The update to Star Tours was definitely a must. The other version was just so dated.

Hahahaha. Nice. The pot is amazing! Isn't it though? :rotfl2:

Awww, poor Emily being scared. Yup, kids don't make sense to me either. My nephew is terrified of Dinosaur, but loves all other rides he can get on, Tower of Terror included. And my other nephew that cried on Expedition Everest loves Dinosaur...... :lmao:

Right there with you - I can't play Toy Story Mania halfway. Gotta go all-out, no matter what the cost!

Emily gets scared of another ride later, but this one she IS going on. More to come...but that's on one of the later days :)

I had heard you were at Disney (MEK said someone spotted you), so I was hoping you'd be doing a TR. We missed you by 10 days. :(

I'm just back from my trip so will have to come back and catch up.

Kathy! Where did you stay? As you now know, we were once again at Coronado. THANK YOU again for the great reviews that helped get us there in the first place!

Thanks for reading, everyone! I have a short update for tonight.

After RnR, we had some time before our next FPs for Star Tours came up. We headed over toward...well, anywhere, and ran into these guys:

They were offering advice. I ran the bell, and I don't even recall what advice they gave me. But it was hilarious. The street performers (or, as I refer to them, "hilarity") in this park are great! Afterwards, we headed back to Coronado Springs.

Wait, that's not Coronado Springs! It's some fake storefront in Hollywood Studios. But it sure looks like Coronado, doesn't it?

Kristin's got her mind set on some frozen coconut drink from some place I don't recall (helpful, aren't we?), which I get as well. Very good, and a great break right now!

More Maleficent hype!

Looks like we have time for Walt Disney's: One Man's Dream, which is all we need, since we always have the will to go to Walt Disney: One Man's Dream. This attraction is one of our favorites - especially Kristin. We've seen everything in the museum part nine-hundred ninety-nine times, but as they say at that other place I love, there's room for one more. So let's see what we've got!

Hey, look - monkeys! Ok, they're chimps. Same thing. No? C'mon, be serious. They're monkeys. Look, I understand the classification systems as well as you do, but let's be honest with ourselves here. Monkeys.

On the spot covering this breaking monkey (yes, monkey) story is Emily:

Hey, we're going to this place!

Hey, we really, really, really want to go to this place!

(Disney Sea in Tokyo, btw)

We also want to go to the Great Movie Ride, so after the always-entertaining, always-educational film at WD: OMD, it's over to the Chinese Theater.

No photos of handprints this year, but we do get one of this vase:

That's part of the "Chinese" theming, not the "Great Movie" theming. This falls under the latter category, though:

It's a shield used against monkeys! That one, huge monkey that some people like to refer to as a "gorilla".

On that topic (which I know everyone would like to dive deeper into), I watched a movie a few months back from 1961 called "Konga", on Netflix. A scientist created some massive growth serum stuff and tried it out on his pet monkey (also know as a "chimp"). Well, the monkey grew huge, but his transformation went as follows: Small monkey->Large, mature monkey->Man in monkey suit. As you can tell from this brief description, it's a great movie. Now where is THAT on the Great Movie ride?

While in line for the Great Movie Ride, I received a text from Jenn, Kristin's friend from right after high school. And no, not just any friend. A friend who, along with her sister, Beth, is a Disney College Program alumnus. A friend who loves Disney World almost as much as we do (sorry, Jenn!). And, most importantly, a friend who basically got Kristin and me together in the first place. Thanks, Jenn!

For years, we had talked with Jenn and her husband, Garry, on the need for a coordinated Disney trip. It never materialized, even though I had told them it was really just as simple as having them schedule their vacation on the exact same time as ours. For some reason, they didn't go for that...until this year :)

Ok, I don't think that was WHY they were here at this time...but we're running with that story. Jenn, Garry, and their kids, Parker and Addy, are down with Beth, her daughter Gwen, and her fiance Mason. The group were at WDW last week, then took an intermission involving a Disney cruise. We've never been on a cruise of any kind, and are anxious to hear how it went. Well, they're back in WDW now, and meeting us tonight for dinner at the Cape May Clambake!

Back to GMR, we ride (no Konga, of course, but there is Cheetah, who is also a monkey). After the ride, we hit Star Tours for our final Fast Pass of the night...we think. We get the Pod Race and Leia again, but conclude with the Death Star. All scenes are great on this ride!

After Star Tours, we get MORE FastPasses for Star Tours at 7:20. There really isn't anything else available at that time, so we'll hit that again. Not a problem!

We're heading to the Beach Club via boat, so it's down to the dock.

Dylan is taking pictures of the turtles in the water with his iPod, which causes Kristin and I to become terrified that he will drop his iPod in the water. Remember, this is the kid who lost his Magic band twice on Day One.

But he didn't. And off we went, to the Beach Club.

Off the boat, and over by the elitist pool that no hopper shall penetrate. I'm scared to even photograph it, so I get this lighthouse instead:

The pool here is supposed to be amazing, but it looks like a hike to the top of the slide. I'd love to try it out some time, but of course, outsiders are NOT welcome!

More shots of the Beach Club:

Since we have fairly convenient access to the actual Jersey Shore back home, this place doesn't really thrill me, beyond the proximity of both Epcot and Hollywood Studios. Oh, and the Clambake. And the pool. Alright, this place is awesome.

Inside we go, and Jenn & family aren't here yet. My $10 flip phone isn't getting reception in here, so outside I go. Eventually, I turn it off, and then back on again, and we're in business.

I call Garry, and they're in the parking lot. Finally going to meet at Disney!

...but not in this update. The next one, definitely. But not this one.

[POST=51625019](next update)[/POST]

the street performers at DHS are so funny. I love happening upon them.

That monkey movie sounds like a classic! Can't believe I haven't heard of it! :lmao:

Love your description of the BC pool. I feel like I should really stay there someday just to experience that pool.

Can't wait to hear about your dinner at Cape May! We love that place!

The street performers look hilarious.

We have to check out One Man's Dream this year. It looks really cool.

Glad to hear Dylan didn't drop his iPod. I'd be hovering over my kids if they were doing that!

Can't wait to hear about your dinner.

Afterwards, there's time for a hat pic...

That's a hat pic alright, but where's Dylan? :rotfl:

Did Kirsten makes Emily's top? It's so cute. And I love the face paint. Very cute!

So here's the problem with ToT - some people love coaster but don't like to drop straight down. I am one of them. There's something very wrong and creepy about it. I do love the ride and I go on it almost every trip, but I really have to push past my free fall dropping fear.

More great updates!

Kathy! Where did you stay? As you now know, we were once again at Coronado. THANK YOU again for the great reviews that helped get us there in the first place!

Jon, I was at OKW again for our girls trip (Mark and I will be at AKL and the Boardwalk Villas in September).

I am so glad that you are still enjoying that Coronado...that makes me so happy. Now, I'm going back to read your TR.

Done! PHEW!

LOVE the tattoos. I can't believe how the kids have grown since the last TR.

Funny you had the love bugs and we had none when we arrived.

I'm sorry to hear Pepper Market was not as good as it was in the past. We ate there once in 2012 (we normally stay DVC now, but it was a surprise 60th birthday trip for my husband the first week of December and we stayed CSR; unfortunately, it was the only bad stay at the CSR in our ten stays).

I heard the talking Mickey only works when you get a FP and scan your band to know your name. Perhaps I am wrong.

Splash Mountain...haven't done in years.

LOVE Columbia Harbor House.

The ball moved last week in Tomorrowland.

The People Mover was open two of our days; it officially closed at the end of the day on May 31.

I really want to see the parade in September.

We ate at Ohama for first time last year. We really wNted to love it, but we won't be back.

You had a great day at the MK and go a lot done and then more pool time.

I'm sorry Emily doesn't like TOT. I'd ride that with your wife and son while my husband could do Rock & Roll with you and Em...my lease favorite ride after Expedition Everest.

I'm enjoying your report as always and can't wait to read more.

I started my TR; I can't link it (having computer issues). But it is called: I Am NOT a Bad, Bad Baby

Good to have you back. :)

OMG, the suspense is killing me.....I can't wait to hear if we finally meet you for dinner! And our first vacation together since Colooooooooooonial Williamsburg!

my daughter is the same way with TOT - she lovers roller coasters and I've even talked her into going on Everest our next trip (assuming she is tall enough - she's only 5) but will not even contemplate TOT ... I think it is the ghosts and the pre-show part that really freaks her out not the actual dropping part.

Love Bethlehem Brew Works - especially the beer and cheddar soup there!

just so I have this straight - there is a movie with a monkey called Konga that is not featured in TGMR but there is a monkey called Cheetah that is but Cheetah is not in Konga nor is Cheeta a cheetah, right?

Cool that you will get to meet up with your friends! Assuming they don't tempt fate and attempt to go in the super serial special pool before making it to diner at least! ;)

Man, it doesn't take long to get bumped to page two on these boards, does it? Better finish this update. But first, fan mail!

the street performers at DHS are so funny. I love happening upon them.

That monkey movie sounds like a classic! Can't believe I haven't heard of it! :lmao:

Love your description of the BC pool. I feel like I should really stay there someday just to experience that pool.

Can't wait to hear about your dinner at Cape May! We love that place!

The monkey movie was hilariously bad. I was doing something else while watch it, otherwise it might not have been tolerable.

I want to feel the sand bottom. I just don't see it working, but it does, apparently. For now, though, I'll just stand at the candy shop window and look in :)

The street performers look hilarious.

We have to check out One Man's Dream this year. It looks really cool.

Glad to hear Dylan didn't drop his iPod. I'd be hovering over my kids if they were doing that!

Can't wait to hear about your dinner.

HAVEN'T SEEN ONE MAN'S DRE-

Sorry :) It's a great movie, and the memorabilia is really cool, too. Plus, this is where Emily typically "becomes a Cast Member", and we record her giving us the tour.

Dylan drops just about everything. He dropped his Nintendo DS in the toilet once. How? He had the DS under his chin while standing at it. It still worked, though. Yay, Nintendo!

Dinner is next!

Love your trip report and can't wait to read about the clam bake!

Thanks! Clam back is coming up soon. Have to hit "Submit" on this one, flip the wash, copy and paste the next update from Notepad, then hit "Submit" on that as well. That's it! Secrets of Trip Reporting revealed!

That's a hat pic alright, but where's Dylan? :rotfl:

Did Kirsten makes Emily's top? It's so cute. And I love the face paint. Very cute!

So here's the problem with ToT - some people love coaster but don't like to drop straight down. I am one of them. There's something very wrong and creepy about it. I do love the ride and I go on it almost every trip, but I really have to push past my free fall dropping fear.

More great updates!

No, that top was bought...somewhere. I agree about the face paint, too :)

That must be it about ToT. She's gone on much smaller versions of drop rides and enjoyed them, but not like this one.

Is your latest trip included in your long-running TR?

Jon, I was at OKW again for our girls trip (Mark and I will be at AKL and the Boardwalk Villas in September).

I am so glad that you are still enjoying that Coronado...that makes me so happy. Now, I'm going back to read your TR.

Boardwalk! That's in our next update :)

Our neighbors' home resort for DVC is Boardwalk. They love it. As we do Coronado!

Done! PHEW!

LOVE the tattoos. I can't believe how the kids have grown since the last TR.

Funny you had the love bugs and we had none when we arrived.

I'm sorry to hear Pepper Market was not as good as it was in the past. We ate there once in 2012 (we normally stay DVC now, but it was a surprise 60th birthday trip for my husband the first week of December and we stayed CSR; unfortunately, it was the only bad stay at the CSR in our ten stays).

I heard the talking Mickey only works when you get a FP and scan your band to know your name. Perhaps I am wrong.

Splash Mountain...haven't done in years.

LOVE Columbia Harbor House.

The ball moved last week in Tomorrowland.

The People Mover was open two of our days; it officially closed at the end of the day on May 31.

I really want to see the parade in September.

We ate at Ohama for first time last year. We really wNted to love it, but we won't be back.

You had a great day at the MK and go a lot done and then more pool time.

I'm sorry Emily doesn't like TOT. I'd ride that with your wife and son while my husband could do Rock & Roll with you and Em...my lease favorite ride after Expedition Everest.

I'm enjoying your report as always and can't wait to read more.

I started my TR; I can't link it (having computer issues). But it is called: I Am NOT a Bad, Bad Baby

Good to have you back. :)

Love bugs actually didn't stick around for long. Hats off to the TR-reading effort :)

I saw your TR just now, and will be subbing!

Columbia Harbour House is clearly the best Quick Service as MK, if you ask me. But that's not saying much. Still, very good, and I love the theming.

More updates tonight!

OMG, the suspense is killing me.....I can't wait to hear if we finally meet you for dinner! And our first vacation together since Colooooooooooonial Williamsburg!

God, I hope we don't meet them. Between you and me, they're...different.

my daughter is the same way with TOT - she lovers roller coasters and I've even talked her into going on Everest our next trip (assuming she is tall enough - she's only 5) but will not even contemplate TOT ... I think it is the ghosts and the pre-show part that really freaks her out not the actual dropping part.

Love Bethlehem Brew Works - especially the beer and cheddar soup there!

just so I have this straight - there is a movie with a monkey called Konga that is not featured in TGMR but there is a monkey called Cheetah that is but Cheetah is not in Konga nor is Cheeta a cheetah, right?

Cool that you will get to meet up with your friends! Assuming they don't tempt fate and attempt to go in the super serial special pool before making it to diner at least! ;)

One of two things will happen with Emily and ToT in a few years: either, she'll ride, or she'll be waiting in the gift shop!

Beer and cheese soup at BBW is great! As is the French Onion. And lots of things. The bavarian pretzels with the soup is a nice combination. We're BBW Mug Club members :)

I think you have the monkey thing straight. Sounds about right.

Yep, the meeting sounds like it's happening. Now, actually. Read on!

Thanks again, all!

We have a long history with Jenn and Garry. As I said before, Jenn basically got Kristin and me together, but since then, the four of us have embarked on adventures including Jagermeister with pickled egg chasers, Naperville Ribfest shenanigans, and a bunch of things I'm not going to mention here. But as Olaf says, "all good things, all good things."

But never Walt Disney World. We've been here 9 times, with Kristin many more with her parents. Jenn and Garry, and their kids Parker and Addy, have been here many times as well. As has Jenn's sister, Beth, her daughter Gwen, and fiancee Mason. So lots of Disney experience represented here. Feel the awesomeness. And it's all going to unify, Voltron-style, tonight. Like the Dark Crystal, but with three becoming one. Skeksis, beware! Or me beware - those Skeksis were scary!

Anyway, where was I? Oh yeah, Beach Club. We're here. They're here. In the door they come, and planets align. He-Man has both sides of the Power Sword, and the Greyskull of Disney will be his for the taking. Watch out.

They just got in from the Disney Magic, and Garry has all good things, all good things to say about it. They loved it. Rented a cabana at Castaway Cay, which sounded great, as well. We're interested now.

Of course, what gathering of old friends would be complete without photos? Well....this one! Sort of. We got SOME pictures.

Gwen, Emily, Addy:

Dylan, Parker:

Our ADRs come due, but no seat. A little while passes...still nothing. Still more waiting....ok, they have something. Sort of. It's two tables, across the aisle from each other. So what's the point of the ADRs?

The manager explains that the table we had reserved was still occupied, and they couldn't really kick the previous diners out. Fair enough. We'll probably be here a while, too.

After some chair maneuvering, we ended up with a kids' table and an adults' table. It's a great time as a parent, when they reach the age that you are able to do this. Especially on a twelve-day vacation in close quarters :)

Kids' table. No horseplay, kids! We're watching you! Well, sort of. Sometimes. Ok, we MIGHT hear you. So behave!

I get a Sweetwater 420 Extra Pale Ale, which I don't have a photo of, but I do have a link to their website.

The food here is great, if you like seafood. Alaskan snow crab legs, clams, mussels, salmon, and seafood bisque. Also sliced beef, REALLY good pizza, and a host of other things I didn't get. No cod balls this year, but that's ok.

I do get a photo of the desserts:

Well, at least the pistachio cheesecake. LOVE pistachios. LOVE cheesecake. We have a winner!

Afterwards, we pose for no pictures...well, I guess we did, just not from our camera. Jenn not only gets a kick out of our circa-1992 cell phones, but also the fact that we still carry an actual camera. Sorry! We're throwbacks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter