The tourists have taken over my town.

EACarlson

DIS Veteran
Tomorrow begins the annual EAA Airventure airshow here in Oshkosh. It takes our little town of 62,000 people and brings in 600,000 visitors for the week. Great thing for the businesses but can be a little much for the residents. Luckily we enjoy it and it was a selling point of our house we bought last year two blocks from the airport. For the next week this will be the busiest airport in the world, then go back to not even having scheduled air service. If you're an aviation fan, this is the week for you.
https://www.eaa.org/airventure

My brother flew up Saturday, our neighbor left in his RV yesterday (his plane is having issues, so not airworthy right now). They have both gone for 20+ years and it's a highlight of my brother's summer plan

Tomorrow begins the annual EAA Airventure airshow here in Oshkosh. It takes our little town of 62,000 people and brings in 600,000 visitors for the week. Great thing for the businesses but can be a little much for the residents.
This is where you charge $200 a day to let people park in your driveway, and $500 a night for the spare bedroom ;)

This is where you charge $200 a day to let people park in your driveway, and $500 a night for the spare bedroom ;)
Neighbor is getting $650 a night for her house this week, and it's half the size of ours. I've been told that the Motel 6 halfway across town is charging $350/night, the Holiday Inn is $900. We are considering it for next year, it will pay for my wife's 40th birthday trip to WDW if we do.

My brother flew up Saturday, our neighbor left in his RV yesterday (his plane is having issues, so not airworthy right now). They have both gone for 20+ years and it's a highlight of my brother's summer plan
Webcams are up and running if you'd like to watch. I'm skipping out of work early to take the kids and see planes I've never seen before. The Nasa Super Guppy and Boeing DreamLifter, a converted 747 that's used to haul parts used in 787 assembly.
https://www.eaa.org/airventure/live

Last edited:
I spent large parts of my summer vacations as a kid going to various air shows because my dad was an avid aviation enthusiast. Oshkosh was by far his favorite! Thank you for reminding me - I'll pull up the webcams in his memory!

I know what you mean. Our village of 1200 grows to over 100,000 every Labor Day weekend for our annual festival. It’s absolutely crazy and I don’t even leave the house because it’s almost impossible to drive anywhere.

That is impressive! The webcams are fascinating. I saw several small, parked planes with tents popped up beside them. I assume people fly their own plane in and then camp beside it for the event? That's a concept I've never even thought about. :eek:

We were sitting with friends at the bar we inhabit at my small ga. town on Saturdays and they were talking about flying up for this. They said they have a ball every year. I could not believe all the people they showed up in pictures from last year.

If you're into classic cars, check out the Woodward dream cruise in metro Detroit which is the largest of its kind in the world. I used to live a block from here and every august would go out of town for this event as it's insane. But if you like cars, it's a good time. https://www.woodwarddreamcruise.com/

That’s crazy attendance. Wow!

The local airshow here was a weekend with about 40K guests.

Webcams are up and running if you'd like to watch. I'm skipping out of work early to take the kids and see planes I've never seen before. The Nasa Super Guppy and Boeing DreamLifter, a converted 747 that's used to haul parts used in 787 assembly.
https://www.eaa.org/airventure/live

The last time we went was one of the last time the Concorde was there. They were selling rides, up to Canada and back IIRC. We passed on it, mostly because I had a dream that we could fly in one to Europe and do supersonic. We were able to see it fly which was really cool but now I regret not taking the joy ride.

Frankly, EAA is too crazy for me to drive to Oshkosh and back. I *do* know someone who volunteers every year. They camp out under their plane.

That is impressive! The webcams are fascinating. I saw several small, parked planes with tents popped up beside them. I assume people fly their own plane in and then camp beside it for the event? That's a concept I've never even thought about. :eek:
Many do exactly that. Others camp at the large campground on the other side of the grounds. The Hilton Garden Inn includes plane parking and a private entrance to the grounds with a reservation for this week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter