The Trip With An Abundance of Steven, A WDW Jan '23 TR ***Completed 8/8***

I love your Tiki ears and your make-up matches them perfectly!
Thank you!! I try I try! They’re probably one of my favorite pairs that I own!
I'm not a fan of Tonga Toast and I don't have a shell-fish allergy. It's too much bread and not enough moisture :crazy2:
Tonga Toast isn’t for me either but I was so sad when Mel said she didn’t like it. Your complaints about it are literally hers as well. So i guess the shellfish allergy didn’t change anything and Tonga Toast belongs in the Tonga Trash

Aw, no. And here I thought we could be friends. I mean it's no Boo To You or, my personal favorite, Once Upon a Christmas, but it does hold a certain charm and has a catchy tune :banana:
:sad: Not liking parades can’t be our friendship ender! Mel love a good parade. And a bad parade. All parades. It’s just me! It’s me, hi, I’m the problem, it’s me.

Day 6
January 27, 2023
"It's Your Daily 4pm Swelling"

Once we were done being harassed by a man in knee highs, a sensible kitten heel, and his trusty crop-topped side kick, Mel and I felt an all too familiar feeling deep in our loins. The hunger demons were beginning to grumble and groan.

It’s been many, many years since Mel and I have been to Pinocchio Village Haus- and it’s not because we are too good for sub par flat breads. It’s just one of those places I often forget exists.

If we are eating Quick Service in MK, we usually opt for Columbia Harbor House or picking up some corn dog nuggets from Casey’s. Pinocchio’s just doesn’t usually rank.

It still ranks higher than Cosmic Ray’s, but I would rather eat sun-dried tomatoes on Soarin’ with ECV Magistrate Roxy than to ever step foot in Cosmic Ray’s. I am like a hissing cat at the sheer thought of Cosmic Ray’s.

But today, the Little Caesar’s of Disney just felt right.

I placed our mobile order and was able to select a pick up window nearly immediately, because that’s what happens at Pinocchio's. It took a couple minutes in between hitting the “I’m here and desperate” button and getting the food but that’s what also happens at Pinocchio's.

Usually Mel and I stalk out the tables that overlook IASW so we can press our little nosies up against the glass and wave in an alarmingly enthusiastic manner at the poor, unsuspecting travelers on the boats below. But today, the tables were full so we shuffled to a table near the doors.

Mel went with the margherita flatbread; while I chose a kid’s order of chicken tenders and fries.

Margherita flatbread: “flatbread topped with tomato sauce, shredded mozzarella, fresh tomatoes, mozzarella pearls, and a drizzle of balsamic glaze.” $12.29

Kids’ Chicken Strips (2 strips): “served with choice of 2 sides and choice of small low fat milk or small Dasani ® bottled water.” $8.49. I went with fries and apple slices as my sides.

The food was perfectly fine and we happily ate our meal while eavesdropping on a group of teenage girls talking about how they were going to be suspended for skipping school that day. It was a very dramatic story, except the woman, who I assume was one of their mothers, didn’t even bat an eye at what was being discussed around her. It was as if she was used to such chaos.

giphy.gif

Lunch and a show.

Mel loves the margherita flatbread from Pinocchio's and was the one to suggest we come, so I was happy when she told me the flatbread was just as tasty as she remembered. Mission accomplished.

And she didn’t even have to be suspended.

I had a LL to use at Space Mountain after our meal so we hightailed it over to Tomorrowland. Mel opted to not go on, so I braved the trek to outer space all on my own.

The standby was posted at 60 minutes, but I only had to wait about 8 thanks to LL and being a single rider.

Ride photos are NOT my good side. They are my 4 chin side.

I’m not sure who hurt Space Mountain today, but the “I just got beat up” feeling when leaving the ride was at an all time high. But oh, Space Mountain is such a great time. Even if you feel like you just got tossed down the stairs in a cardboard box afterwards.

Once I was back in the stratosphere, Mel and I decided to split a Cheshire Cat Tail from Cheshire Cafe as we headed towards our next DAS reservation.

Cheshire Cat Tail: $5.79

This was our first time trying the legendary treat and it was a tasty chocolate croissant. But at the end of the day, it was still a chocolate croissant. With a little pink and purple pizzazz.

Much like me on any given Tuesday.

Wiping the flaky pastry evidence from the corner of our mouths, we trekked on over to Storybook Circus to use our DAS reservation for Dumbo.

The standby wait was posted as 30 minutes, but we only had to wait about 8.

Which included waiting for our own individual flying elephant.

I have no clue how 2 adults can fit in one single Dumbo comfortably, but those 2 adults are surely not Mel and I. Nope. No ma’am.

We tottered on over to The Little Mermaid after to use a LL Mel had booked earlier and paid a quick visit to my hair twin and our favorite inebriated seagull.

The backside of waaaaaaater

The standby wait was posted at 35 minutes but we only waited about 7, which about 5 of those minutes were spent weaving through the never-ending labyrinth that is The Little Mermaid queue.

It had now been about a half hour since our last snacky snack so I jumped on line at Prince Eric’s Village Market for a couple of slushies.

Frozen Blue Raspberry Slushy: $4.99

Sip sipping our way back to Tomorrowland, we meandered on over to the TTA to use a DAS reservation. Mel walked up to one of the cast members standing near the entrance to ask where she should scan her Magic Band for the DAS.

“No drinks on the ride!” he snarked at her.

“Oh no, I know. I just wanted to know where I should scan in before I put all my things away and park my ECV.”

“No drinks on the ride!” he again bellowed, pointing his ipad he was carrying at Mel’s now blue raspberry flavored contraband.

Mel looked at me, I looked at her.

giphy.gif

Mel parked the ECV off to the side and we had a couple more sips of our slushies before we tossed them into the trash and attempted to ask again where to scan for the DAS reservation.

“Hi, me again. Where do I---” Mel started but the same cast member as a couple moments ago cut her off.

“I can scan your magic band right here and let you right up,” he smiled.

Like night and day. Truly. The man hates slushies. Warm drinks only for him.

But things never truly go smoothly. The minute Mel and I stepped off the “speed ramp”, the ride shut down and we ultimately got evacuated about 10 or so minutes later.

We opted to finish up our time in Tomorrowland with my personal favorite carousel, the Carousel of Progress.

And we didn't get stuck in the 40's this time.

I would consider that a success.

From tomorrow to fantasy, Mel and I headed over to Mine Train to use our next DAS reservation, which saved us 86 minutes of the posted 90 before we situated ourselves in the 10th row and sped off to spy on a group of blue-collared, hard-working, vertically-challenged men.

The mine’s now completely wiped of all their jewels and gems, Mel and I took off towards The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh to use a pre-booked DAS reservation Mel had made a few days before the trip.

The posted standby was 30 minutes but we only waited around 6.

Do you wanna know how I spent our time while we waited?

Surely you can guess.

I mobile-ordered another snack, but at least this time I set the pick up window as about an hour away. See, I have a little bit of self control.

Mel guessed purple, I guessed blue.

A little afternoon magic.

We headed back to Tomorrowland, because it truly wouldn’t be a Magic Kingdom day if we didn’t walk back and forth all day. But our day was beginning to wind down, and I needed a ride on the TTA!

Luckily by the time we waltzed up, the ride was back up and running and we managed to plop down into our People Mover only 4 minutes after entering the line.

I can smell the stink from here!

Old news now, huh

Did the ride stop and the lights come on twice during our grand circle tour of Tomorrowland?

It would have been more surprising if they didn’t.

Also, did not a single person wave back to me as our trains swooshed past each other?

A truly tragic tale.

***Coming up: It’s the end of our day at Magic Kingdom and I feel fine***

It’s been many, many years since Mel and I have been to Pinocchio Village Haus- and it’s not because we are too good for sub par flat breads. It’s just one of those places I often forget exists.

Mel went with the margherita flatbread;

Mel loves the margherita flatbread from Pinocchio's and was the one to suggest we come, so I was happy when she told me the flatbread was just as tasty as she remembered.

It's been many years since I've been to PVH too, mostly because the pizza tasted like chalk last time. I might have to give it another try if she says it's good, since Mel and I are spirit twins and between the security pat downs and Tonga toast.

Ride photos are NOT my good side. They are my 4 chin side.
:rotfl:

I hear you, and to be fair, nobody looks good on the Space Mountain photo!

I have a photo from Guardian's at DL that is soooo bad, I don't think I can even post it, but it would make you feel so much better about this one!

I’m not sure who hurt Space Mountain today, but the “I just got beat up” feeling when leaving the ride was at an all time high.
:rotfl2:

Every time! That's why I rarely ride this one anymore unless there's some fancy overlay.

But things never truly go smoothly. The minute Mel and I stepped off the “speed ramp”, the ride shut down and we ultimately got evacuated about 10 or so minutes later.

Aw, boo :sad2:

Luckily by the time we waltzed up, the ride was back up and running and we managed to plop down into our People Mover only 4 minutes after entering the line.

Yay :cool1:

I'm not sure how I feel about not being online when you posted your update. I need to up my stalker game.

AND that was distinctly not shredded mozz on that Flatbread unless it was in addition to the round. 🤣

I'm not sure how I feel about not being online when you posted your update. I need to up my stalker game.

AND that was distinctly not shredded mozz on that Flatbread unless it was in addition to the round. 🤣
The description mentioned both shredded and pearl mozzarella, but I also struggle to see the shredded mozz. It must be hiding under the tomatoes.

I might have to give it another try if she says it's good, since Mel and I are spirit twins and between the security pat downs and Tonga toast.
Listen, I love Mel dearly but her favorite foods are mashed potatoes and Caesar salad, so I think the fact that the flatbread was melted cheese on crust was all she needed to enjoy it. I had it mayyybe about 7 years ago and it was a one and done for me.
I have a photo from Guardian's at DL that is soooo bad, I don't think I can even post it, but it would make you feel so much better about this one!
LOL! Nothing will truly ruin your self esteem like an on-ride photo. They make me start questioning all of my life choices.
Every time! That's why I rarely ride this one anymore unless there's some fancy overlay.
I had a bruise on the side of my thigh after the last time I went on! I really think they up the herky-jerky levels every year, but maaaaan, I still love it.

LOL!!! We didn't time our disboard-ing right this time!

The Great Pinocchio's Village Haus shredded mozz controversy of 2023. I didn't even know there was supposed to be shredded mozz on it but I don't think there actually was! Just cardboard, plops of mozz, the devil's food (aka tomatoes), and balsamic strewn about. Mel was happy though, so maybe the shredded mozz wasn't needed?
The description mentioned both shredded and pearl mozzarella, but I also struggle to see the shredded mozz. It must be hiding under the tomatoes.
That's also where I hide my dignity- under the tomatoes.
giphy.gif

Day 6 Part 3
January 27, 2023

Back from our harrowing, nail biting, slow moving tour of Tomorrowland, Mel and I headed PAST Fantasyland this time (bet you weren’t expecting that) and moseyed on over to the Squarest Liberty to pick up our mobile order from Sleepy Hollow.

Mel scoped out a table while I picked up the food and a breezy 3 minutes later, we were getting ready to dig into our 900th snack of the day at a small table Mel found over by where Tiana and Prince Naveen used to meet by the Ye Olde Christmas Shoppe.

I was really trying to knock out all the fan faves and ordered the chicken waffle sandwich and 50th anniversary special, the Doom Berry Drink; while Mel grabbed herself the fruit waffle sandwich and a hot tea.

Sweet-and-Spicy Chicken-Waffle Sandwich: “Broccoli slaw with a honey-sriracha glaze served with house-made chips.” $11.59

Fresh Fruit Waffle Sandwich: “Served with strawberries, bananas, blueberries, and chocolate-hazelnut spread.” $8.49. Mel ordered it without blueberries.

The Doom Berry: “Blackberry Ginger Ale with EARidescent Sugar served with a Haunted Mansion themed straw.” $4.99

Mel has had the nutella-fruit waffle before and really enjoyed it, so it came as no shock when she declared it just as good as she remembered.

The spicy chicken waffle was a first for me. I know it gets mixed reviews and it seems like what kind of sandwich you get depends on the day. Some days the chicken is barely there, some days the waffle is soggy. Some days the chicken has no flavor, some days the broccoli slaw tastes a little off. But today? I truly must have been lucky. I had a giant piece of chicken that was the perfect amount of heat with just a little sweet. The broccoli slaw was pretty nonexistent- which was fine by me because I had been a little apprehensive about it to begin with. My waffle was nice and crispy. I would absolutely recommend the chicken waffle sandwich to a stranger.

How was the Doom Berry drink? Well, it’s no longer available so *shrugs*.

Jk, jk.

It was tasty but I don’t go out of my way to eat glitter sugar and this didn’t change my mind. Why do drinks have to be glittery? Who started this trend?

While we were finishing up our 1st dinner, Cinderella’s Step Sisters (Anastasia and Drizella) came right past us for an impromptu character interaction. They didn’t stop for pictures or autographs but they did talk to a few small children in the area before they were whisked away behind a gate.

Once we rolled ourselves away from our table, Mel and I headed on over to Haunted Mansion to use a DAS reservation. The standby wait was posted at 65 minutes but we only had to wait about 20 before we were inquiring about the dinner menu and number of bathrooms if we DID, in fact, become happy haunt 1,000 and 1,001.

Steven, please! Stop creeping out the guests!

I’m not going to tell you that Mel and I went over to Aloha Isle afterwards to pick up a Dole Whip to eat in the Tiki Room. I’m not going to tell you that Mel got a cup of coconut while I opted for the Tropical Serenade. And I’m certainly not going to tell you that it was $14.36 for both.

No, I surely am not.

Coconut Cup: “Choice of coconut or coconut and Dole Whip ® pineapple swirl.” $5.99

Tropical Serenade: “Pineapple-orange-guava juice, coconut soft-serve, and an upside-down pineapple cake pop.” $7.49

I had been hemming and hawing between the Tropical Serenade and my beloved Dole Whip float and ultimately decided to give the Tropical Serenade a shot. And I chose wrong! I think at this point I was beginning to get snacked out and the POG juice with the coconut soft-serve AND the cake pop was just all too much.

I should have just gone with the Dole Whip float.

We took our treats into the show, which we only had to wait about 4 minutes for the doors to open.

giphy.gif

I love the Tiki Room. I mean, look at the ears I wore that day! I love the Tiki Room and the Tiki Room loves me. But I love the Tiki Room more with a Dole Whip Float, but you live and you learn.

We had some time before our 8:25 dinner reservation (I KNOW!) at the Contemporary, so Mel and I slowly meandered down Main Street where I used mobile checkout for the first time and felt like a common criminal leaving the store.

I didn’t buy much- just a 50th anniversary ornament for my manager that I didn’t take a picture of so I had to get one from google.

Das it, there she is

On our way out of the park, Mel returned her ECV and was given back her soul she had to leave as collateral and I somehow convinced her to walk the short distance to the Contemporary. We took it slow and I spent the entire walk taking pictures of Space Mountain, like I was her own personal photographer.

This is just ONE of roughly 50.

We spent a little bit of time checking out the 48 different gift shops the Contemporary has to offer before we cut our losses and headed downstairs to The Wave.

$500 to get the sides of your noggin pinched.

Everyday is Halloween in this house.

I checked in for our 8:25 dinner reservation at Steakhouse 71 at 8:12 and Mel and I patiently waited in the lounge.

And waited.

And waited.

We finally got our table ready text at 8:48 and quickly placed our order.

Mel ordered a Caesar salad with a side of mashed potatoes and asparagus (we call that the Mel special, with an added green-y touch); whereas I ALSO got a Caesar salad and the crab cakes. Our server, who was not named Steven but had definite Steven vibes, highly suggested we split an order of the brioche. We took him up on his offer.

Sea Salt-dusted Potato Brioche: “Butter, roasted garlic-tomato spread.” $12

Fork and Knife Caesar Salad: “Caesar dressing, croutons, shaved parmesan.” $10

53040089784_ef79e6334a_c.jpg
Lump Crab Cakes: “Old Bay remoulade, corn hash, house-made saltine crackers.” $16

I don’t have pictures of Mel’s mashed potatoes and asparagus but if you close your eyes and think of mashed potatoes and asparagus, you’ll be *ding ding ding* right on the money.

giphy.gif

Now listen, I am not a picky eater. I will eat and genuinely enjoy most things, but both Mel and myself didn’t get the hype behind the brioche. I don’t know if we had just had so many snacks that day and were losing steam that everything just felt very “meh”, or if the brioche just truly isn’t for us. Either way, we didn’t even finish the 2 rolls.

The Caesar salad was very tasty and fresh and I think my body was just craving some leafy greens at this point in time, even though it was covered in dressing and cheese. And the crab cakes, you ask? Oh they were perfectly fine. They had a nice little char on the top and were filled with delicious lump crab. I was most intrigued by the house-made saltines though, but that’s just a me thing.

All in all, Mel and I thought Steakhouse 71 (which was new to us this trip) was pretty tasty but not something we would run back for. We only run back to Kona and Via Naps, and the term run is used very, very loosely. It’s more like a light jog on a good day.

We would try it again in a few trips though and would opt for other menu items, but it’s not a one and done.

With our waiter now waving his white flag of surrender, Mel and I paid faux-Steven in brioche crumbs and skedaddled out to our Lyft.

Never a dull moment in our lives, our Lyft was easily one of the tallest cars I have ever seen. I don’t remember what the exact type was but it might have been a Chevy Suburban on stilts. The seats came up to mine and Mel’s waist.

I climbed my way into the car and looked across the passenger seats where Mel was still not in the car. The driver looked at Mel, Mel looked at the driver.

And then the driver uttered the phrase that still lives rent free in my mind.

“Get your bottom in first, the rest will follow.”

Now, dear friends, let me tell you why this was an absolutely stupid thing to say. As I said a couple of lines ago, the seats literally came up to our waists. How in the world is anyone able to get their “bottom” into a car FIRST if they first have to physically climb into the car. You can’t climb butt first.

giphy.gif

Mel eventually did hoist herself up into the car but she swore off tall Lyfts for the rest of the trip, which you already know will end up coming to bite her in the butt later.

That is just how our lives work. You should know at this point.

We made it back to SS at 10:10 and our Lyft driver pushed us out of his SUV bottom first.

I took a quick foot soak, showered, and icy-hotted my old lady knees.

giphy.gif

Wishes: “Sandalwood, Freesia, and Champagne”

Mel on the other hand?
giphy.gif

I was in bed, drifting into La La Land by 11:30.

***Coming up: Do we ever stop snacking?***

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Fresh Fruit Waffle Sandwich: “Served with strawberries, bananas, blueberries, and chocolate-hazelnut spread.” $8.49. Mel ordered it without blueberries.

I thought something was missing, but this is my fave there too :love:

I had been hemming and hawing between the Tropical Serenade and my beloved Dole Whip float and ultimately decided to give the Tropical Serenade a shot. And I chose wrong! I think at this point I was beginning to get snacked out and the POG juice with the coconut soft-serve AND the cake pop was just all too much.

Aw, bummer, Have you tried the pineapple upside down cake yet? I think that's my new favorite 😋

I somehow convinced her to walk the short distance to the Contemporary.

Such a relaxing walk, especially at night.

We finally got our table ready text at 8:48

Yikes!!

All in all, Mel and I thought Steakhouse 71 (which was new to us this trip) was pretty tasty but not something we would run back for.

Agree, though they do have a pretty good burger there ::yes::

:rotfl2:

Day 6 Part 3
January 27, 2023

Back from our harrowing, nail biting, slow moving tour of Tomorrowland, Mel and I headed PAST Fantasyland this time (bet you weren’t expecting that) and moseyed on over to the Squarest Liberty to pick up our mobile order from Sleepy Hollow.

Mel scoped out a table while I picked up the food and a breezy 3 minutes later, we were getting ready to dig into our 900th snack of the day at a small table Mel found over by where Tiana and Prince Naveen used to meet by the Ye Olde Christmas Shoppe.

I was really trying to knock out all the fan faves and ordered the chicken waffle sandwich and 50th anniversary special, the Doom Berry Drink; while Mel grabbed herself the fruit waffle sandwich and a hot tea.

Sweet-and-Spicy Chicken-Waffle Sandwich: “Broccoli slaw with a honey-sriracha glaze served with house-made chips.” $11.59

The Doom Berry: “Blackberry Ginger Ale with EARidescent Sugar served with a Haunted Mansion themed straw.” $4.99

Mel has had the nutella-fruit waffle before and really enjoyed it, so it came as no shock when she declared it just as good as she remembered.

The spicy chicken waffle was a first for me. I know it gets mixed reviews and it seems like what kind of sandwich you get depends on the day. Some days the chicken is barely there, some days the waffle is soggy. Some days the chicken has no flavor, some days the broccoli slaw tastes a little off. But today? I truly must have been lucky. I had a giant piece of chicken that was the perfect amount of heat with just a little sweet. The broccoli slaw was pretty nonexistent- which was fine by me because I had been a little apprehensive about it to begin with. My waffle was nice and crispy. I would absolutely recommend the chicken waffle sandwich to a stranger.

How was the Doom Berry drink? Well, it’s no longer available so *shrugs*.

Jk, jk.

It was tasty but I don’t go out of my way to eat glitter sugar and this didn’t change my mind. Why do drinks have to be glittery? Who started this trend?

While we were finishing up our 1st dinner, Cinderella’s Step Sisters (Anastasia and Drizella) came right past us for an impromptu character interaction. They didn’t stop for pictures or autographs but they did talk to a few small children in the area before they were whisked away behind a gate.

Once we rolled ourselves away from our table, Mel and I headed on over to Haunted Mansion to use a DAS reservation. The standby wait was posted at 65 minutes but we only had to wait about 20 before we were inquiring about the dinner menu and number of bathrooms if we DID, in fact, become happy haunt 1,000 and 1,001.

Steven, please! Stop creeping out the guests!

I’m not going to tell you that Mel and I went over to Aloha Isle afterwards to pick up a Dole Whip to eat in the Tiki Room. I’m not going to tell you that Mel got a cup of coconut while I opted for the Tropical Serenade. And I’m certainly not going to tell you that it was $14.36 for both.

No, I surely am not.

Coconut Cup: “Choice of coconut or coconut and Dole Whip ® pineapple swirl.” $5.99

Tropical Serenade: “Pineapple-orange-guava juice, coconut soft-serve, and an upside-down pineapple cake pop.” $7.49

We took our treats into the show, which we only had to wait about 4 minutes for the doors to open.

giphy.gif

I love the Tiki Room. I mean, look at the ears I wore that day! I love the Tiki Room and the Tiki Room loves me. But I love the Tiki Room more with a Dole Whip Float, but you live and you learn.

We had some time before our 8:25 dinner reservation (I KNOW!) at the Contemporary, so Mel and I slowly meandered down Main Street where I used mobile checkout for the first time and felt like a common criminal leaving the store.

I didn’t buy much- just a 50th anniversary ornament for my manager that I didn’t take a picture of so I had to get one from google.

Das it, there she is

On our way out of the park, Mel returned her ECV and was given back her soul she had to leave as collateral and I somehow convinced her to walk the short distance to the Contemporary. We took it slow and I spent the entire walk taking pictures of Space Mountain, like I was her own personal photographer.

This is just ONE of roughly 50.

We spent a little bit of time checking out the 48 different gift shops the Contemporary has to offer before we cut our losses and headed downstairs to The Wave.

$500 to get the sides of your noggin pinched.

Everyday is Halloween in this house.

I checked in for our 8:25 dinner reservation at Steakhouse 71 at 8:12 and Mel and I patiently waited in the lounge.

And waited.

And waited.

We finally got our table ready text at 8:48 and quickly placed our order.

Mel ordered a Caesar salad with a side of mashed potatoes and asparagus (we call that the Mel special, with an added green-y touch); whereas I ALSO got a Caesar salad and the crab cakes. Our server, who was not named Steven but had definite Steven vibes, highly suggested we split an order of the brioche. We took him up on his offer.

Sea Salt-dusted Potato Brioche: “Butter, roasted garlic-tomato spread.” $12

Fork and Knife Caesar Salad: “Caesar dressing, croutons, shaved parmesan.” $10

View attachment 777257
Lump Crab Cakes: “Old Bay remoulade, corn hash, house-made saltine crackers.” $16

I don’t have pictures of Mel’s mashed potatoes and asparagus but if you close your eyes and think of mashed potatoes and asparagus, you’ll be *ding ding ding* right on the money.

giphy.gif

Now listen, I am not a picky eater. I will eat and genuinely enjoy most things, but both Mel and myself didn’t get the hype behind the brioche. I don’t know if we had just had so many snacks that day and were losing steam that everything just felt very “meh”, or if the brioche just truly isn’t for us. Either way, we didn’t even finish the 2 rolls.

The Caesar salad was very tasty and fresh and I think my body was just craving some leafy greens at this point in time, even though it was covered in dressing and cheese. And the crab cakes, you ask? Oh they were perfectly fine. They had a nice little char on the top and were filled with delicious lump crab. I was most intrigued by the house-made saltines though, but that’s just a me thing.

All in all, Mel and I thought Steakhouse 71 (which was new to us this trip) was pretty tasty but not something we would run back for. We only run back to Kona and Via Naps, and the term run is used very, very loosely. It’s more like a light jog on a good day.

We would try it again in a few trips though and would opt for other menu items, but it’s not a one and done.

With our waiter now waving his white flag of surrender, Mel and I paid faux-Steven in brioche crumbs and skedaddled out to our Lyft.

Never a dull moment in our lives, our Lyft was easily one of the tallest cars I have ever seen. I don’t remember what the exact type was but it might have been a Chevy Suburban on stilts. The seats came up to mine and Mel’s waist.

I climbed my way into the car and looked across the passenger seats where Mel was still not in the car. The driver looked at Mel, Mel looked at the driver.

Now, dear friends, let me tell you why this was an absolutely stupid thing to say. As I said a couple of lines ago, the seats literally came up to our waists. How in the world is anyone able to get their “bottom” into a car FIRST if they first have to physically climb into the car. You can’t climb butt first.

giphy.gif

Mel eventually did hoist herself up into the car but she swore off tall Lyfts for the rest of the trip, which you already know will end up coming to bite her in the butt later.

That is just how our lives work. You should know at this point.

We made it back to SS at 10:10 and our Lyft driver pushed us out of his SUV bottom first.

I took a quick foot soak, showered, and icy-hotted my old lady knees.

giphy.gif

Wishes: “Sandalwood, Freesia, and Champagne”

Mel on the other hand?
giphy.gif

I was in bed, drifting into La La Land by 11:30.

***Coming up: Do we ever stop snacking?***

giphy-downsized-large.gif
I was online when you posted. You left me speechless and I could not drum up any witty remark.🤣

Let's just say...*looks around conspiratorially"...I am enjoying this trip report. At work. And I work a job where they don't care necessarily. So, that was probably unnecessarily added tension on my part. I just like to make life more exciting, I guess. At any rate, huzzah! Thanks for sharing the trip with us!

I thought something was missing, but this is my fave there too :love:
It looks so weird without the blueberries!!!
You and Mel are kindled spirits lol
Aw, bummer, Have you tried the pineapple upside down cake yet? I think that's my new favorite 😋
I haven’t! The next time I might give it a whirl and then get my beloved float as a backup. Double fisting at Aloha Isle.
Agree, though they do have a pretty good burger there ::yes::
I’ve heard about that! I’ve heard people rave about the burger and the Bacon and Eggs app so I chose to get neither and then wonder why I thought everything was just ok.​

I was online when you posted. You left me speechless and I could not drum up any witty remark.🤣
I was waiting for you!!!!
giphy.gif

Let's just say...*looks around conspiratorially"...I am enjoying this trip report. At work. And I work a job where they don't care necessarily. So, that was probably unnecessarily added tension on my part. I just like to make life more exciting, I guess. At any rate, huzzah! Thanks for sharing the trip with us!

I was sitting on pins and needles, a drip of nervous sweat beading on my brow, the air thick with anticipation, as I waited for you to reveal the plot twist that your job doesn’t care that you Disboard on the clock. Lucky lucky!!

I’m glad you risked it for lil ol me tho!
giphy.gif

Oh my gosh my visual with the tall Lyft and bottoms first the rest will follow, made my night! So funny! I’m only 5 feet on a good day so my bottom would be on the floor lol 😝
Enjoying your delightfully funny report! Thank you!
I haven’t tried Steakhouse 71 but really loved The Wave 🌊

Oh my gosh my visual with the tall Lyft and bottoms first the rest will follow, made my night! So funny! I’m only 5 feet on a good day so my bottom would be on the floor lol 😝
Enjoying your delightfully funny report! Thank you!
I haven’t tried Steakhouse 71 but really loved The Wave 🌊
LOL! I'm only 5'1-5'2 and Mel is 5'3 so it was an actual hike getting into the Lyft! Idk why someone would sign up to be a Lyft driver with a Godzilla-sized SUV. He's gotta have more people than just us struggle to get in. I hope he's giving everyone his bottom first advice.

No, no, thank you for reading!

giphy.gif

I've heard great things about The Wave but never got around to trying it. I've heard mixed reviews about Steakhouse 71 so you gotta try it and see how it compares!

Said the tall person.....
Such a funny line, make you want to insert it into conversation somehow....🤣
Right! I think about that quote more often than I would like to admit. It truly baffles me how he thought it was good advice.

Day 7
January 28, 2023
"Did She Just Call Me Allie?"

I was up the next morning far before my alarm was set to go off at 6:15. And by far before, I mean 7 whole minutes. But a victory is a victory, however small.

I had a mission this morning. A mission I far too often fail. I was going to get Mel and I a Guardians boarding group number.

7 loomed ever so closer. My past failures taunting my thoughts. Ratatouille in October 2021? A disaster. Shame upon me AND my ancestors. Guardians a few days ago? A calamity of epic proportions. Mel woke up from a deep slumber and still managed to do better than I did.

But today? Oh, today was going to be different. Today, I would taste success (and an alarming amount of snacks).

7 reared its ugly head and my little fingers tip tippity tapped at the speed of light.

Children screamed in terror, elderly women hid their faces in shame, dogs growled and snarled. But all of that didn’t matter, for I was a success. A true hero.

Our plan was to leave for Epcot by 8:15.

At 7:45, I was dressed, chugging Emergen-C, and still patting myself on the back for getting a Guardians boarding group.

Mel on the other hand?

giphy.gif

By 8:20, Mel was finally ready to go and we quickly ordered ourselves a Lyft.

A mere 8 minutes later we were pulling up to Epcot and being lovingly flung from the car, who at least slowed to an almost crawl.

Early entry was scheduled for 8:30 until 9, so Mel and I felt a slight sizzle of accomplishment as I quickly cleared security and Mel was pulled aside for her customary pat down and DNA swabbing.

By 8:38, we were in the park. You read that right, folks. Mel and I actually made it to an early entry with more than 5 minutes to spare.

Our first order of business?

Rope dropping the ECV rental.

Our second order of business?

Rope dropping Nemo.

One thrill after the other. The true heavy hitters.

Nemo was posted as a 5 minute standby line, because only fools rope drop Nemo. And Mel and I wear our “Fool Hat” with pride.

We were plopping down in our clam shells only 4 minutes later and soon were exploring the big bluuuuuuue world and schwimming out to schea.

Knowing this would be our last time in the aquarium for the trip, I made sure to bid Mel a fond farewell until next time and gave my jelly fish tank a gentle forehead kiss goodbye.

Mel looking like she's ready for a fight

We finished up our trifecta of harrowing nail biters by eagerly plowing through the Livin’ line. Standby was posted as 5 minutes but the line was non-existent except for a couple of mouth breathers waiting for the first row.

Which would be Mel and I.

Livin’ was just as wonderful as Livin’ always is. Even if no one else remembers that they used to have baby alligators in the fish house.

Except for one of the single handed weirdest things that have happened on a trip.

“There’s a dead seahorse in the water,” I pointed out to Mel, a little confused and a little panicked.

“No there isn’t.”

“I took a picture of it, there’s a dead seahorse in the water in front of us!”

Honestly, the true MVP of this situation is the Live photo option on iphones. I take all of my pics using the Live option, not for any particular reason. I just like killing my phone battery.

I played the live photo for Mel and her jaw dropped. “That’s absolutely a dead seahorse.”

giphy.gif

“Should we tell them?”

“What are they going to do? Bring it back to life?”

Mel and I continued to discuss if what we saw was truly a seahorse or maybe just a leaf with seahorse qualities as we exited the ride. We ultimately didn’t tell any cast members because…what even just happened?

Is this common? Is the water of Livin’ connected to the same sewer system that they flush the fish from the aquarium? How did it even happen? Are we over-thinking this?

I have an overactive imagination but I 100% think that is what we saw.

Still flabbergasted from our bizarre Livin’ journey, Mel and I headed towards Soarin’ which had a fairly low wait. That’s how you know my mind was elsewhere. I rode Soarin’ a second time in a trip without putting up a fight.

The standby was posted at 10 minutes and we waited about that, which is 10 minutes too many if you ask me. Which you did not.

Soarin’ was the usual. Stinky, nauseating, and overhyped. The best part of Soarin’ is the chorus of seatbelts unfastening as you leave. The worst part is everything else.

Back on solid, non Glade-scented ground, Mel and I headed off to Guardians for our boarding group that had been called as we had entered the Soarin’ line. We were able to quickly turn our boarding group into a DAS reservation and jaunted off towards the LL line.

Steven's best side

We were through the multiple pre shows and plunking down into row 7 about 20 minutes after entering the line.

giphy.gif

Guardians was just as wonderful as the first time we rode, even if our ride photos don’t show that.

They show chins. Many, many chins.

Not this one though, this one's not even us.

We also got Conga, if that means anything to you.

From guarding the galaxy to guarding the fast lane, Mel and I headed off to Test Track to use a DAS reservation Mel had booked a bit earlier. The standby was posted at 60 minutes.

About 10 minutes after entering the line, we were saddling up to the car design station and building a true behemoth of power, and not much else.

All brawn, no brains. Just how I like ‘em.

***Coming up: The best time of the day, 1st lunch!***

But all of that didn’t matter, for I was a success. A true hero.

Yay! Congrats!!

plowing through the Livin’ line. Standby was posted as 5 minutes but the line was non-existent except for a couple of mouth breathers waiting for the first row.

Which would be Mel and I.

I was offended at first because I always ask for the front row here!

I played the live photo for Mel and her jaw dropped. “That’s absolutely a dead seahorse.”

Are seahorses actually that tiny? What a weird thing to see :bitelip:

seahorse.jpeg

Soarin’ was the usual. Stinky, nauseating, and overhyped. The best part of Soarin’ is the chorus of seatbelts unfastening as you leave. The worst part is everything else.

Aw, the music? Putty? the scent of Africa? None of it??

They show chins. Many, many chins.

At least on this one you can blame to force of the backward action pushing your skin forward!

RIP seahorse. I'm sure you lived your best life.
Poor guy.

giphy.gif

I was offended at first because I always ask for the front row here!
I truly don't understand why anyone wouldn't! How else would you be able to spot the dead seahorses if you aren't in the front row?!
Are seahorses actually that tiny? What a weird thing to see :bitelip:

seahorse.jpeg
Whoa, whoa! Every seahorse I've ever seen in an aquarium has been pretty tiny. Are there actual mini pony-sized seahorses out there in the world?!
Aw, the music? Putty? the scent of Africa? None of it??
Maybe I'm just out of the loop since I'm not a part of the Soarin' fan club but what's the Putty?
The scent of Africa smells like grass and allergies to me lol

At least on this one you can blame to force of the backward action pushing your skin forward!
Yes, yes. We're going with that reason.
giphy.gif

Not the 23402834023 snacks I had this trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter