the unofficial guide?

maddiesmommie

Mouseketeer
Someone recommended that I purchase the Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World.Has anyone tried/bought this and is it worth it to have?

Originally posted by maddiesmommie
Someone recommended that I purchase the Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World.Has anyone tried/bought this and is it worth it to have?

Absolutely YES!! 100% worth it! I have bought & read 5 books since November (we leave in 10 days) and I think this is "the" book to get:jester:

If I had to pick one book, and I have most of them LOL, it would be the unofficial guide. Followed closely by Passporter. Even after many trips I still use these books and buy updated versions.

This book has the best information presented in an easy to read format. It can be a little negative at times but it is so worth it. I like to also buy the offical guide for the colored picture and positive view to get us excited about the trip but I get lots more usable information from the unofficial book.

Jordan's mom

I have it. It's good but I like <u>Walt Disney World with Kids</U> better. Especially for good tips for families at the parks and I repurchase the <u>Passporter</u> every year.

Cindy in NY

Have been to WDW every year since 1998. Do not know how we would of made it with out the Unofficial guide the first couple of years. Conitinue to buy it every year. It is a bargian.

TTFN

I like "The Unofficial Guide" much better than Birnbaum's. Tons of very specific, very practical info - lots of rating systems, too! Definately worth the price! :teeth:

The touring plans in this book REALLY WORK! My family joked when I photocopied them for us, but then we really did get to see all the attractions we wanted with a minimum of waiting. I love Disney, but try not to see it through rose-colored glasses (although many times I do)...this book is honest whiel still being upbeat.

I'm not fond of this one. Here is why:

I don't like the ratings. I think that everyone really responds differently to different things at Disney - I might think Small World the best thing ever, because it speaks to me - you might not like it at all. I might think Tower of Terror is the greatest ride in existence, you might not like thrill rides. While most people may not like eating at the restaurant in China - you may love it. Birnbaums doesn't have anything bad to say about any attractions - but that lets you make up your own mind. And Passporter gives three (maybe four?) ratings for everything - both authors and then the reader average - (and a kids rating - there is something about kids in there) - so you can at least see that there is some variation in opinion. The Unofficial Guide comes right out and tells you what attractions aren't worth your time - in their opinion - and sometimes they are wrong. And they tell you what attractions shouldn't be missed - and sometimes they are wrong there, too. If your taste turns out to match the authors - its a wonderful investment.

I think there is too much there (and its too wordy) for the average first time visitor. I find the Unofficial guide to be more confusing (unless you are willing to follow their touring plans) and intimidating, than other books on the market.

That said, guidebooks (like attractions at Disney) are something everyone responds differently to. Go to a library or a "browsing bookstore" and spend half an hour with the book and decide for yourself.

I don't like the unofficial guide either. The official guide, WDW for Kids by Kids or Passporter are all much better . The unofficial guide really seems to not take into consideration the area when comparing prices (especially on food). WDW food in the parks is IMHO much better and better priced than other parks (ie Six Flags, Cedar Point etc) but the food at WDW is blasted in the unofficial guide. For every person that say they like the touring plans, you'll find one that hates the touring plans

Don't bother with WDW with kids either, lots of outdated and miss-information. For example we went to WDW in 2000. For out next trip I bought the 2001 edition of WDW with kids and much of the info in it said "coming in spring 2000" or something similar. Height, age etc requirements etc were wrong for a few things. I bought it for the sections on US/IOA and SW too because we we plaing a trip to them in 2001 (which we did and had a geat time, good thing I double checked a few things the book was wrong on) and we knew we were planning on going to WDW in Dec 2001 (was changed to May 2002)

On our first trip, we read it page by page by page before we got there and then carried it around as a reference each day in the parks. The second trip, we read it before we got there and referenced it once we were there - in the room only. This past trip, I bought it but found that I wasn't reading it like I had in the past. I took it with us but found that I didn't really have a desire to look at it. I doubt I'll purchase another one.

I will be browsing through the Passporter between now and our next trip. I like the suggestion of going to a browsing book store - I might try that myself.

One thing I like about the unofficial guide is the table in the back that gives you an estimate on the amount of time it takes to get from one place to another. This can be a major factor in trip planning.

I agree with crisi in the fact that The Unofficial Guide gives opinions that may not be the same opinion you would have. I also feel that every person should make their own opinion. In fact, we did not try Pebbles restaurant in the Crossroads for a few years because The Unofficial Guide said that even though the food was good it was very expensive. We finally tried it on the recommendation of a relative & it is one of our favorite places now. We don't feel it is any more expensive than what we would spend at Friday's right in the same plaza. In fact, we feel it is very reasonable for a nice meal. One of our "must do's" every trip.

Now - I do like The Unofficial Guide for all the tips it has given us. I also enjoy reading the letters from other readers. I think they are honest & you can take them for what they are worth. We have gotten many different tips that have helped make our vacations much more enjoyable.

I would definitely buy The Unofficial Guide at least once. As for their attraction ratings & even restaurant ratings, I think you should do what you would like & then make your own opinions. ;)

I bought it for the 1st time this year & read it almost cover to cover. I liked it. I did not follow their touring plans. We have a 2 year old & just didn't think he follow along with us. I found it humorous & informative. I had been to WDW several times before & I did disagree with some of their opinions & suggestions, but this book was not my only source of information.

So if there was something DH or I really wanted to try & the books said to "skip it" we didn't alweays follow their suggestions.

As always, thanks for the feedback, folks, especially on the restaurants. We're headed to WDW in early March and would be happy to hear of anything (i.e., attractions, restaurants, touring plans) that needs reviewing.

Sincerely,

Len Testa
testa@ncat.edu

Originally posted by cindy_k
I have it. It's good but I like <u>Walt Disney World with Kids</U> better.
Cindy in NY

I agree. I bought both Unofficial Guide and WDW with Kids, old editions, very cheap at a used book store. Once I decided that I liked WDW with Kids better, I bought the new edition. Libraries sometimes have these books as well, although they are usually a few years old, but you can decide if you like the style and content before you buy.

Peggy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter