The Vaccine Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe Canada and the USA said they would try to help in some ways (sending PPE, ventilators, etc.) ... As for oxygen, I have no idea how they could do it. Complete nightmare.

The sad thing is, India thought they had beat Covid so they exported twice as much oxygen to other countries as they usually do during the pandemic - from April to Jan. 2021. They loosened up restrictions. The theory is that variants hit them and their cases shot up. It is a horrible sight to see all the bodies being burned.

Canada's vaccine rollout is going very slowly because they can't manufacture the vaccine on their own, if I understand it correctly. I hope US can help Canada and maybe we can open our borders again.

As for crusing (and on a much lighter note), I'm curious if anyone has booked any of these cruises leaving from Caribbean this summer on RCCL, NCL, etc. I'm kind of tempted to do it, but I also think I should hang back and not be a "test case". My next booked cruise is on DCL in September, but I don't know if it or I will go.....

I hope that some UK posters on this board will give us trip reviews and feedback on their experience when the first cruises go in July.

The sad thing is, India thought they had beat Covid so they exported twice as much oxygen to other countries as they usually do during the pandemic - from April to Jan. 2021. They loosened up restrictions. The theory is that variants hit them and their cases shot up. It is a horrible sight to see all the bodies being burned.

Canada's vaccine rollout is going very slowly because they can't manufacture the vaccine on their own, if I understand it correctly. I hope US can help Canada and maybe we can open our borders again.

Vaccination is expected to accelerate starting next week. (An extra load of AZ vaccine would definitely help as well).

Authorities said they expect to be able to remove some restrictions as soon as we get to 75% people vaccinated with their 1st shot, and 20% with their 2nd shot. Not sure when that will happen (end of June, maybe?) ...

I believe I heard somewhere that at 40% vaccinated (with at least 1 shot) we should start seeing the amount of daily cases drop. If everything goes well, that would happen by the end of next week for my province. *fingers crossed*...

Of course, none of that is set in stone. We have to remain careful for a little while if we want to get there.

The other thing they are thinking is happening in India is that a large number of people had very mild cases. They had originally hoped those mild and moderate cases (they think perhaps up to 50% of the population at this point has been previous infected) had created some level of immunity and would help them avoid any further waves. Now we are learning that those milder cases just don't seem to confer enough immunity (or long enough lasting immunity) to keep people from getting it two or three times. This is another reason why vaccination of previously infected individuals is so important.

They are way behind Florida.
In Florida, almost no one has been wearing masks outdoors except in the theme parks. People walk one step out of a store and pull them off.
Same in my state. It's been that way since day 1. The only time I ever see somebody wearing a mask outdoors is the occasional lone walker, and there is no one around for miles. I live in a very spread out suburb. I figure these people have some OCD, anxiety issues or they think Covid is floating around in the air outside.

Same in my state. It's been that way since day 1. The only time I ever see somebody wearing a mask outdoors is the occasional lone walker, and there is no one around for miles. I live in a very spread out suburb. I figure these people have some OCD, anxiety issues or they think Covid is floating around in the air outside.
Or, maybe, they're actually more concerned about transmitting the disease to others that may cross their paths. After all, mask wearing is primarily not for the protection of the wearer, but the protection of people that the wearer may come in contact with.

Or, maybe, they're actually more concerned about transmitting the disease to others that may cross their paths. After all, mask wearing is primarily not for the protection of the wearer, but the protection of people that the wearer may come in contact with.
They are not crossing any paths. I could walk for miles in my city and never come within 50 feet of another human.

I'm as big of a mask proponent as there is, but when you are in an outdoor situation where you aren't going to come within 6-10 feet of somebody, the mask is pure theater.

That means I don't wear a mask walking the dog around the neighborhood, and yes, I generally take the mask off leaving the grocery store. But I wear a mask when we do scout activities because we are grouped together outdoors. I went to an outdoor football stadium and wore a mask there as well. I've also worn a mask at my son's soccer games as well.

Or maybe there's another reason. My husband wears a mask when outside on a walk or run because he's realized that his allergies are WAY better when he goes outside in one. The trees are constantly trying to kill him!

Or maybe there's another reason. My husband wears a mask when outside on a walk or run because he's realized that his allergies are WAY better when he goes outside in one. The trees are constantly trying to kill him!

I have never tried that when running or walking, but I do know wearing a Buff while mowing definitely see me less stuffed up when I am done. I have exercised induces asthma during high allergy times, so i don't think a mask would allow me to run at those times, would just be too difficult to breathe.

I have never tried that when running or walking, but I do know wearing a Buff while mowing definitely see me less stuffed up when I am done. I have exercised induces asthma during high allergy times, so i don't think a mask would allow me to run at those times, would just be too difficult to breathe.

I wear a buff around my neck while cycling. In the beginning I would wear it while riding with my small group of 3-4 riders. Buffs are fairly thin, and I didn't find breathing too difficult. I don't have asthma, so obviously your experience would be different.

Eventually we stopped wearing them while actively riding but would keep them around our neck. We'd pull them up when riding close to another group, and take them down after. A lot of that was courtesy.

Another plus is that on early morning ride they keep my neck warm. Almost like that's what they were designed for. 😊

Speaking of masking, the new CDC guidance for here in the United States, and being carried forward in California:

“Under the new CDC guidance, people can walk, run or bike outdoors with members of their own household without a mask, regardless of whether they are vaccinated. But people who are vaccinated can also shed their masks for small outdoor gatherings and for outdoor dining with people from other households.
Masks are still urged for anyone -- vaccinated or not -- attending an indoor activity or patronizing indoor businesses, and for anyone at a crowded outdoor event, such as a concert, parade or sporting event.”

From today’s article “California Will Relax Mask Mandate to Align With CDC Guidelines”

Speaking of masking, the new CDC guidance for here in the United States, and being carried forward in California:

“Under the new CDC guidance, people can walk, run or bike outdoors with members of their own household without a mask, regardless of whether they are vaccinated. But people who are vaccinated can also shed their masks for small outdoor gatherings and for outdoor dining with people from other households.
Masks are still urged for anyone -- vaccinated or not -- attending an indoor activity or patronizing indoor businesses, and for anyone at a crowded outdoor event, such as a concert, parade or sporting event.”

From today’s article “California Will Relax Mask Mandate to Align With CDC Guidelines”

Oh lucky you, USA! "Vaccinated people being allowed to remove masks outdoor when gathered with people from other households" is something we are not allowed to do here yet. Things are looking good for you this summer!

Oh lucky you, USA! "Vaccinated people being allowed to remove masks outdoor when gathered with people from other households" is something we are not allowed to do here yet. Things are looking good for you this summer!

I am so hoping for Canada (and the rest of the world) to finally emerge from the worst of this situation sometime very soon; it’s time people had some hope and excitement in their lives again. Take care!

I'm just curious, is this a Quebec-only thing? Here in BC masks are not required outside. I take mine off as soon as I get out of the store etc.

I'm just curious, is this a Quebec-only thing? Here in BC masks are not required outside. I take mine off as soon as I get out of the store etc.

Possibly? Here in Quebec masks are required as soon as you are outside with people from another household. That being said, they do not really reinforce this ... Unless there are huge crowds together (unmasked).

We are also not allowed to receive people in our backyards at all (I despise that rule because hundreds/thousands of people end up in the park every week-end, which is not safe at all, IMO.)

I am an asthmatic who has worn masks outside for decades due to allergies, including while exercising.

There are some companies who make quality technical high filtering masks specifically designed for sports. Respro is one company; there are others. Biking, running, walking [and others] are all sports where specialty masks may be needed due to the breathing requirements of the sport and/or due to the environment [e.g. urban pollution].

Most of the sports-specific masks make use of one or two vents to facilitate ease of breathing. While not suitable for use around others in the convid context, if you were in an outdoor environment where you were alone or with only members of your own household they should be fine.

SW

I’m asthmatic as well and have been back in the gym for a while. No way can I wear a mask and exercise. I’m pretty sure I would die or be hospitalized. So happy I have the J&J vaccine and can’t wait for the mask mandate to be dropped completely. It’s really hard to breathe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter