The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

Does it seem true that park reservations 120 days in advance through the hotel is no longer possible when using the key (limited to 90 days in advance) to reserve? In order words, the key window supersedes the hotel booking window?

Does it seem true that park reservations 120 days in advance through the hotel is no longer possible when using the key (limited to 90 days in advance) to reserve? In order words, the key window supersedes the hotel booking window?
I would say yes, because I can only see the MK bucket at 90 days out and cannot book using MK from the hotel bucket,

Sharing - just got my Magic Key passes and tried to book park reservations from the hotel bucket using the hotel reservation link on my DVC reservation in the website and it will not allow me to do so. I had to book the park reservations from the Magic Key reservation bucket. It did work with a DVC reservation and regular tickets earlier this summer.

Not too happy about this…hopefully it will be changed at some point.
By any chance did you get your DVC discount when you purchase your keys today or are you not even bothering with that? I'm hoping for someone on here to have some info on how all of that works.

By any chance did you get your DVC discount when you purchase your keys today or are you not even bothering with that? I'm hoping for someone on here to have some info on how all of that works.
No DVC discount - I decided not to bother this time around…yet. I may go back to DVC on it. When I go to add any associations on the DLR website, it won’t take my DVC member number. I’d asked MS about that problem from a previous unrelated question and their response was it could not be added to DLR but “still knew it was there” on my profile. Well, if it knows it is there, why didn’t it apply the discount? We’ll see what they say but I’m not hopeful.

The DVC discount never worked on the old APs when renewing online, I could only get it at the box office.

No DVC discount - I decided not to bother this time around…yet. I may go back to DVC on it. When I go to add any associations on the DLR website, it won’t take my DVC member number. I’d asked MS about that problem from a previous unrelated question and their response was it could not be added to DLR but “still knew it was there” on my profile. Well, if it knows it is there, why didn’t it apply the discount? We’ll see what they say but I’m not hopeful.

The DVC discount never worked on the old APs when renewing online, I could only get it at the box office.
I'm having the same issue adding my DVC number on the DLR website. And I read a post (wish I could remember where-- it might be on this thread) that someone had successfully done it. I had no problem adding it to WDW system in the past.

Hi all, we have a handicap accessible 1BR room booked for our next stay, I have seen a helpful thread with room photos (I can't find the thread) but I believe it said room 1514 was the only 1BR H/A at GCV. Does anybody know if there are others/other views, wondering if we should even bother making a room or view request. Thanks!

Hi all, we have a handicap accessible 1BR room booked for our next stay, I have seen a helpful thread with room photos (I can't find the thread) but I believe it said room 1514 was the only 1BR H/A at GCV. Does anybody know if there are others/other views, wondering if we should even bother making a room or view request. Thanks!

Nope. That's the only one. We have stopped booking the accessible unit because of the poor location/view. Depending on what feature of the accessibility you require the other one bedroom units are fairly OK. However they do not have bars in the bathroom or a roll in shower.

Nope. That's the only one. We have stopped booking the accessible unit because of the poor location/view. Depending on what feature of the accessibility you require the other one bedroom units are fairly OK. However they do not have bars in the bathroom or a roll in shower.
Thank you...if I'm not mistaken, this room just looks out over a path that leads to the pool entrance right? And it's not like that's convenient to us because we can't lock our door if we go out the slider anyways. The resort is fully booked so I think it's that room or nothing, but we're happy to make it.

if I'm not mistaken, this room just looks out over a path that leads to the pool entrance right?

Yes that's the one.

The resort is fully booked so I think it's that room or nothing, but we're happy to make it.

That room is better than no room, but we're happy to take our chances on the view if we can. I'm not the one who needs the features, but our stays are short and my partner is willing to overlook the lack of bars in the bathroom for a couple nights.

I'm having the same issue adding my DVC number on the DLR website. And I read a post (wish I could remember where-- it might be on this thread) that someone had successfully done it. I had no problem adding it to WDW system in the past.

I made multiple phone calls and the info I got was in general they are only selling the Magic Keys online or over the phone but they will make an exception for DVC members because the only way you can get the discount is in person at the ticket booth because you have to show your DVC card and ID that matches your address on file.

No changes to grocery delivery on our recent trip. Bell services will accept as long as there is no alcohol in the order. :thumbsup2

Update on our grocery order experience. We ordered from Vons, which becomes Pavillions in their delivery service now. We set it up to just deliver to bell services because we were in the parks. We’ve never had issues before, but this time everything was in brown paper bags and the perishables were not marked so they were not refrigerated. I don’t blame bell services, I guess it’s partly my fault for not being there to accept them, but I also faulted Pavillions for not marking the perishables. Thankfully we only had a few items and they did refund us when I called to explain what happened.It was just a hassle. So don’t make my mistake. Ask them to mark the perishables!!

Update on our grocery order experience. We ordered from Vons, which becomes Pavillions in their delivery service now. We set it up to just deliver to bell services because we were in the parks. We’ve never had issues before, but this time everything was in brown paper bags and the perishables were not marked so they were not refrigerated. I don’t blame bell services, I guess it’s partly my fault for not being there to accept them, but I also faulted Pavillions for not marking the perishables. Thankfully we only had a few items and they did refund us when I called to explain what happened.It was just a hassle. So don’t make my mistake. Ask them to mark the perishables!!

Sorry to read that! I agree that was never an issue in the past. I suspect this is due to them outsourcing to third party delivery. Our last order arrived in the trunk of a honda civic with basically a rideshare driver. Vons used to roll up in big trucks and had nice hard crates and everything was separated. Hopefully it's temporary due to the obvious current challenges with staffing, etc. :thumbsup2

I'm staying at VGC for the first time in April 2022 and haven't been able to find an answer to this question. Is there an entrance to the pool near the VGC wing? And if so, where is the access located? Thank you!

I'm staying at VGC for the first time in April 2022 and haven't been able to find an answer to this question. Is there an entrance to the pool near the VGC wing? And if so, where is the access located? Thank you!

There is one gate near the main entrance to the VGC wing where the elevators are located.

There is another gate near the Redwood Challenge Trail end of the building is located, but. I'm not sure if that's and entrance or just an Emergency Exit.

This one is near and dear to me!

Short Answer: "Sometimes, there is access from VGC"
Long Answer:

Before they built Craftsman Bar, we could freely use both gates to get to/from VGC wing to both the DCA gate and Whitewater Snacks. There were many reports on this board of the WWS gate not working or being an emergency exit only. But we personally did this every trip for years. There was/is an Emergency Exit sign on the gate, but there is a button to exit, and there is no alarm. And there is a hotel key scanner on the entrance side that previously worked with our hotel keys.

After Craftsman Bar was built, the gate by WWS (now Craftsman Grill) became exit only, and only the pool bar staff could use their cards to enter the pool. If you showed your room key and asked to follow them in, they didn't mind at all. Or you could wait for someone to exit the pool (many people don't because of the "EE" sign on the inside of the gate). But timing was everything and often not worth it to wait. Likewise, in the early days of the Bar, they frowned on people cutting through the seating area and directed you to the main (center) entrance to enter the pool.

At some point, they added pool wristbands to the mix. This was due to the new Bar traffic, as well as cutting down on pool hopping (I think). No argument there. But when this happened they setup an additional lifeguard station at the VGC gate. They would open the gate for you and issue a wrist band.

Fast forward to our last trip June '21: Both gates were exit only. The lifeguard station at VGC gate was only staffed at times (for towel duty, not wristbands), and the gate did not accept keys. If the lifeguards were there they would open the gate but direct everyone to the main/center gate to get a wrist band, although this time it was due to the capacity restrictions on the pool. You could chalk this up to the current staffing issues but also the need to keep a central capacity count. I totally get it.

In the elevator lobby there was a QR code to send any questions or comments to the manager. Squeaky wheel does not come naturally to me, but this issue has just bugged me. So I appreciated this QR invite and sent very friendly feedback about our frustration at the chipping away of pool access to/from the VGC wing, since we purchased our points ( then-current capacity challenges aside). We loved this access and we always frequent WWS/Craftsman Grill often multiple times daily.

I got a very nice voicemail follow up the next morning that they appreciated the feedback and had activated pool access for the gates on all of our key cards. Wow. I see how people can "become" squeaky wheels. I was thrilled and wanted to share my appreciation. Unfortunately, it was our checkout day! HaHa. I should have spoken up sooner.

So, like everything at DLR, there always seem to be changes. Others may have encountered a different setup, and I hope they will report back. But, I encourage all members and guests of that wing to share the feedback to allow access through these gates... as they were originally designed and operated for years! Thank you GCH CM's! :thumbsup2

We checked out of VGC today and our key worked on the Pool gate that you speak off right off the DVC wing our whole stay.

It was mostly staffed during our stay but yesterday was the first day we had wristbands and we’ve been there since Monday so I think it may be a weekend/capacity thing. The life guard didn’t really have a good answer as to when they use them.

My biggest complaint was the terrible Wifi and poor cell reception in our room (5509), we use T Mobile and boy was it bad. It made getting Virtual Boarding groups even more stressful!!

We checked out of VGC today and our key worked on the Pool gate that you speak off right off the DVC wing our whole stay.

It was mostly staffed during our stay but yesterday was the first day we had wristbands and we’ve been there since Monday so I think it may be a weekend/capacity thing. The life guard didn’t really have a good answer as to when they use them.

My biggest complaint was the terrible Wifi and poor cell reception in our room (5509), we use T Mobile and boy was it bad. It made getting Virtual Boarding groups even more stressful!!

Great news, thank you for fresh report!

Hopefully it was due to the early reopening days, with limited capacity in the pool. :thumbsup2

We had stayed previously on the hotel side (March 2020, before the shutdown) with DTD view and the DVC rooms definitely need a refurb. The difference was certainly noticeable.

I hope they will add in a rain shower, and increase the lighting, install king beds and add a night stand on both sides of the bed instead of just one side. Just a small wishlist 🤪

One of the DVC guides mentioned it would probably happen in a few years based on the 7/14 year cycle. Does anyone know when it was last refurbed?

The soft goods were updated along the same timeline as the hotel side. They brought in the platform beds, new TVs, etc. But obviously it was not the full refurb of the hotel rooms. And no Keurig's in sight.

The 1, 2, & 3 BR villas have 1 king bed each. I'm not sure if there is room in a studio with the queen foldout next to it. But sure would be nice.

But yeah hopefully when a refurb comes they follow the same design as the hotel rooms. They are so much brighter now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter