• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

Maybe OBB? It seems the Sundays are staying booked. We have two separate stays booked over fall break. We will keep one based on which OBB tickets we get. If we don’t get any… we will cancel them both.

We're trying to decide if we might want to do Disneyland or WDW in late January/early February 2025. I'm thinking we should try to book VGC at the 11 month mark just in case. Because we really wouldn't need to decide for sure until the 7-month mark for WDW. I'm a bit nervous about availability now. And also wondering what the points chart will look like for 2025. I think it might change to more tiers like the VDH chart. We'll be stretching our points thin so crossing my fingers for some decent prices.

My wife will be happy to hear. I’ll be at the resort with the newborn so I’ll miss out on Marvel land but maybe next time we make it back to Cali 🤞
I am looking more forward to Oahu and Maui because I haven’t been back there since my military days so I bet it has changed a lot over the years. Will be great memories indeed just floating around lazy river in Aulani 😎

I think that’s very wise. If you change, you change. At that time of year there will be WDW availability until early fall 2024.

Great name/avatar BTW.

Thanks.

Yeah, that was my thinking too. I'll go VGC at the 11 month mark. Then by the 7 month mark I'll decide if we want to switch to WDW instead. It really all depends on our our trip to WDW this January goes. And what the 2025 point charts look like.

Just saw that the Avatar stuff will be coming to California Adventure. I really, REALLY hope they don't demolish the Redwood Creek area for it! It would not go with the vibe of the Grand Californian and it's just....right there.
New info or old rumors?
I would be really bummed if they messed with Redwood Creek.

I’m hoping the Hollywood back lot area…

I'd prefer that....if they plan to do any actual rides that might son would like. Right now, there's just so little he enjoys at DCA. He seems to like the Monsters Inc. ride so would be a bummer if we lost that and didn't gain anything else for him. (Yes, I'm just being selfish here. Ha!) I'm still sad about losing 2 things he loved - Heimlich and Lady Bug Boogie.

New info or old rumors?
I would be really bummed if they messed with Redwood Creek.
Both? Bob Iger announced early this year that Avatar would come to DLR. There’s nowhere to put it at DL but a few obvious options at DCA so to me that was always where it was clearly going, but that was confirmed today by, as best as i can tell, an offhand remark by an imagineer during an official Q&A.

Redwood Creek is an obvious option but honestly perhaps even moreso is Hollywood Land. Mike and Sulley has a poor footprint-to-enjoyment ratio, and there’s 2 other large effectively unused buildings (Stage 12 and Stage 17) now, plus the Hollywood Backlot Stage, and if they really wanted to take up some space, the Hyperion.

I'd prefer that....if they plan to do any actual rides that might son would like. Right now, there's just so little he enjoys at DCA. He seems to like the Monsters Inc. ride so would be a bummer if we lost that and didn't gain anything else for him. (Yes, I'm just being selfish here. Ha!) I'm still sad about losing 2 things he loved - Heimlich and Lady Bug Boogie.
Bugs land was great for the under 6 crowd!

I agree if they remove Mike and Sulley they need another continuously loading ride with no minimum height at DCA to replace it.

I've never seen the Avatar movies nor have I seen Avatar land at WDW (but I will soon) so I have no real feelings on them bringing it to the parks. I just hope they don't re-theme existing things to try to make them fit in with Avatar. Like if they just re-theme Redwood Creek or Grizzly River or whatever.....that would be so half-assed and pointless. If they are going to do it, they should do it right. And honestly, the Hollywood Backlot area would give them a good space to do it.

I've never seen the Avatar movies nor have I seen Avatar land at WDW (but I will soon) so I have no real feelings on them bringing it to the parks. I just hope they don't re-theme existing things to try to make them fit in with Avatar. Like if they just re-theme Redwood Creek or Grizzly River or whatever.....that would be so half-assed and pointless. If they are going to do it, they should do it right. And honestly, the Hollywood Backlot area would give them a good space to do it.
1) They are actually pretty good movies if you can watch them from home and break them up over a couple of viewings.

2) The land at Animal Kingdom is incredibly immersive.

3) My wife said “most kids could care less about Avatar….its a movie for adults… they should put their energy into getting the e-ticket ride open in Avenger’s Campus”

I definitely don't want to be one of those "old" guys that resist change and rant about how better things used to be before Disney destroyed the parks with IP. We obviously have many memories with our kids in Redwood Creek. But thinking more about it, that whole area WAS part of the original "CA themed" park that failed so miserably when DCA first opened. I agree that Grizzly Peak and Redwood Creek blends seamlessly with GCH and messing with it would impact the overall vibe of that whole area that's been so iconic for so long. But if they were to put this new Avatar experience there, since Pandora is so "jungle" themed, I'm hopeful that they will do a good job at keeping the original "foresty" theme that doesn't disrupt the harmony? Looking at google maps, I just can't see it going anywhere else. The Monster's Inc backlot area is so small, if they were to put anything related to Avatar there, I fear it will be nothing more than a stupid walk-through experience. I honestly thought this new Avatar experience would go to the expanded area as part of Disneyland Forward.

I forgot about the e-ticket over there. When is that even supposed to happen? I haven't looked at the details but hopefully it's something my son will go on. He doesn't like rollercoasters or anything with drops though so if it's anything like that...it'll be a hard pass from him! I'm still trying to figure out if he'd like Rise or if that drop would freak him out too much.

I definitely don't want to be one of those "old" guys that resist change and rant about how better things used to be before Disney destroyed the parks with IP. We obviously have many memories with our kids in Redwood Creek. But thinking more about it, that whole area WAS part of the original "CA themed" park that failed so miserably when DCA first opened. I agree that Grizzly Peak and Redwood Creek blends seamlessly with GCH and messing with it would impact the overall vibe of that whole area that's been so iconic for so long. But if they were to put this new Avatar experience there, since Pandora is so "jungle" themed, I'm hopeful that they will do a good job at keeping the original "foresty" theme that doesn't disrupt the harmony? Looking at google maps, I just can't see it going anywhere else. The Monster's Inc backlot area is so small, if they were to put anything related to Avatar there, I fear it will be nothing more than a stupid walk-through experience. I honestly thought this new Avatar experience would go to the expanded area as part of Disneyland Forward.

Yeah, I did too! It would make more sense to wait and put it in the Disneyland Forward area where they could do a lot more with it....if it ever actually happens. But I guess they don't want to wait. I see what you mean about it going into the Grizzy Peak area. I just don't want them tearing out all the trees or anything like that because it would look so sparse and sad over there without them.

Speaking of Disneyland Forward....do we have any idea where self-parking for the Grand Californian will be if they eventually turn that area into theme park space??

I’m hoping the Hollywood back lot area…
Both? Bob Iger announced early this year that Avatar would come to DLR. There’s nowhere to put it at DL but a few obvious options at DCA so to me that was always where it was clearly going, but that was confirmed today by, as best as i can tell, an offhand remark by an imagineer during an official Q&A.

Redwood Creek is an obvious option but honestly perhaps even moreso is Hollywood Land. Mike and Sulley has a poor footprint-to-enjoyment ratio, and there’s 2 other large effectively unused buildings (Stage 12 and Stage 17) now, plus the Hollywood Backlot Stage, and if they really wanted to take up some space, the Hyperion.
I'm hoping it doesn't mess with either Redwood Creek, or Hollywood backlot. Doing anything to either means MAJOR changes, & i like the theme of both, even though the backlot could use some work, i wouldn't want that theme to go away.

My wish would be for it to be part of DisneylandForward.

For anyone wanting to see some really cool possibilities, this playlist covers ALL, including expanding the Hollywood Backlot, as well as 3rd park, New parking structure, & Gardenwalk.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9vdBkUWCwJ48LgsW8BEVXU2r55Zz3YWG

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter