The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

Watching the 2024 calendar and it's not looking good so far. But maybe it will get better after the CP weekend fully passes. One big reason we even considered DVC is because we were excited to stay at the Grand Californian when it's decked out for Christmas. So this will be a massive blow if we aren't able to. I guess when we purchased, I assumed the days around holidays would be tough but didn't expect it to be that bad in early December (with the exception of CP days.) I guess we'll wait and see. If we don't make it out there in December 2025, yes...I will be very disappointed. And I'm guessing we'd need to skip a trip and bank points to be able to book a 1-bedroom, which might be easier, right? Thank goodness we really only plan to go out at Christmas time every few years!

Watching the 2024 calendar and it's not looking good so far. But maybe it will get better after the CP weekend fully passes. One big reason we even considered DVC is because we were excited to stay at the Grand Californian when it's decked out for Christmas. So this will be a massive blow if we aren't able to. I guess when we purchased, I assumed the days around holidays would be tough but didn't expect it to be that bad in early December (with the exception of CP days.) I guess we'll wait and see. If we don't make it out there in December 2025, yes...I will be very disappointed. And I'm guessing we'd need to skip a trip and bank points to be able to book a 1-bedroom, which might be easier, right? Thank goodness we really only plan to go out at Christmas time every few years!
The refurb might be impacting availability as well for 2024….

I'm not particularly knowledgeable but I would try not to hit the panic button too soon. So much can change in the next year or so before you have to book at 11 mths out. I'm guessing you'll be just fine! You've got the owner advantage already, so breathe easy :)

The refurb might be impacting availability as well for 2024….

I hadn't thought of that. I'll be curious to see when they actually end up starting it all.

I'm not particularly knowledgeable but I would try not to hit the panic button too soon. So much can change in the next year or so before you have to book at 11 mths out. I'm guessing you'll be just fine! You've got the owner advantage already, so breathe easy :)

Yeah, I'll try not to worry too much until it gets closer to time of booking. I'll just need to remember to start looking early in case I want to attempt to walk at all. So maybe start keeping at eye toward the end of 2024.

For any interested in the resort specific bags the Grand has gotten one and I think it’s a recent release.

View attachment 823045

View attachment 823046

Cost is 88 bucks pre discount. Picked one up today.
I will be buying that tomorrow… thanks for the tip!

Update: My wife said, “Where are we supposed to put our water bottles?”. So apparently this is now a negotiation…. 🤣

Last edited:
I will be buying that tomorrow… thanks for the tip!

Update: My wife said, “Where are we supposed to put our water bottles?”. So apparently this is now a negotiation…. 🤣
Did you get one? @MrsNVDISFamily loves it. It’s way bigger than a standard Disney bag. You could easily fit a few of those 1L bottles in there :)

Are you on property this week? If you want to check out the 3BR at VDH you are welcome to crash the b-day party today.

Did you get one? @MrsNVDISFamily loves it. It’s way bigger than a standard Disney bag. You could easily fit a few of those 1L bottles in there :)

Are you on property this week? If you want to check out the 3BR at VDH you are welcome to crash the b-day party today.
We ended up getting 2 Grand Cal Ornaments, a DVC VGC hat, and a spirit jersey.

I’d love to see the GV, but wouldn’t want to take the spotlight from the birthday person.

We ended up getting 2 Grand Cal Ornaments, a DVC VGC hat, and a spirit jersey.

I’d love to see the GV, but wouldn’t want to take the spotlight from the birthday person.

Can I see pics of your ornaments, hat, and spirit jersey?? (Probably all of these things, including that backpack will be gone by the time we get there in June but I want to see anyway.)

Visited last weekend (1-bedroom 5508) and H2O products are still in use, and there were no wall mounted dispensers
h2o.jpg

A Loofah is provided (I have not seen before)
loofa.jpg

Additional amenities in the Primary Bath
primary.jpg

Visited last weekend (1-bedroom 5508) and H2O products are still in use, and there were no wall mounted dispensers
View attachment 823812

A Loofah is provided (I have not seen before)
View attachment 823811

Additional amenities in the Primary Bath
View attachment 823810

Interesting I could have sworn that in the villa I stayed in last month we had the dispensers. I didn't take any pictures, bit will definitely pay attention when I stay there in about 10 days.

I know there is a crossover population here and I hope no one takes offense to this, but after staying at VDH this last weekend everyone person in the family agrees that we strongly prefer VGC.

1) The furniture quality of the cabinets and closets felt like IKEA quality.

2) The closets were ridiculously tiny.

3) The only usable outlet on in the primary bedroom for the person sleeping closest to the bathroom sliding door couldn’t be used at night because the sliding door would hit it.

4) A piece near the sink exploded when we ran the dishwasher and would have flooded the room if we would have run it and then left to go to the parks.

5) The bed mattresses were very firm and no one thought they were comfortable.

6) They don’t give you a real comforter.

7) The refrigerator didn’t have any door handles.

8) The room was on the 2nd floor overlooking the pool. While the view and the patio were very nice… it was extremely loud and you could hear workers doing things all night long.

My wife described it as the illusion of being nice for pictures…. but the quality of everything was significantly lower than our expectations except for the tile mural in the bathroom.

I’m honestly concerned about the VGC remodel if this is going to be DVC quality and am glad Aulani is not scheduled for a full refurb for a number of years.

I know there is a crossover population here and I hope no one takes offense to this, but after staying at VDH this last weekend everyone person in the family agrees that we strongly prefer VGC.

1) The furniture quality of the cabinets and closets felt like IKEA quality.

2) The closets were ridiculously tiny.

3) The only usable outlet on in the primary bedroom for the person sleeping closest to the bathroom sliding door couldn’t be used at night because the sliding door would hit it.

4) A piece near the sink exploded when we ran the dishwasher and would have flooded the room if we would have run it and then left to go to the parks.

5) The bed mattresses were very firm and no one thought they were comfortable.

6) They don’t give you a real comforter.

7) The refrigerator didn’t have any door handles.

8) The room was on the 2nd floor overlooking the pool. While the view and the patio were very nice… it was extremely loud and you could hear workers doing things all night long.

My wife described it as the illusion of being nice for pictures…. but the quality of everything was significantly lower than our expectations except for the tile mural in the bathroom.

I’m honestly concerned about the VGC remodel if this is going to be DVC quality and am glad Aulani is not scheduled for a full refurb for a number of years.

We are local but have owned VGC contracts for runDisney (so glad they’ve made a return) and random staycations. We did the open house Member Magic event at the DLH villas and hated how small the rooms were and how cheap everything looked. We decided we had no interest in ever trying to stay there and will stick exclusively to VGC.

So many of our home resorts are on the block for refurb (VGC, BLT, CCV?) or just finished (BCV). I’m a tad nervous, but I feel like they can’t be worse than they are/were….🥴 And hopefully all the issues with shoddy construction/materials at VDH will encourage them to not make the same mistakes with the VGC refurb. 🙏🏼

We are local but have owned VGC contracts for runDisney (so glad they’ve made a return) and random staycations. We did the open house Member Magic event at the DLH villas and hated how small the rooms were and how cheap everything looked. We decided we had no interest in ever trying to stay there and will stick exclusively to VGC.

So many of our home resorts are on the block for refurb (VGC, BLT, CCV?) or just finished (BCV). I’m a tad nervous, but I feel like they can’t be worse than they are/were….🥴 And hopefully all the issues with shoddy construction/materials at VDH will encourage them to not make the same mistakes with the VGC refurb. 🙏🏼
Part of me wishes Disney would ROFR a few VGC contracts and sell direct points for $350+ so that they would have some skin in the game…. the only problem is they would sell out as soon as they got them…

I love the Grand more than DLH for its grand lobby and location, but I hate how run down it’s gotten the last couple of years. Having stayed at VDH, I actually like it. It’s bright and new and shiny 😅
I just can’t wait for VGC to finally get refurbished.

As an Anaheim local, I have loved the lobby at the Grand Cal since the day it opened. The rooms, however, are just about the darkest and dreariest DVC rooms I've had the misfortune of staying in. I'd take a DLH standard room over them too (in fact I have done so repeatedly at a conference I attend every year at DLH and turn into a staycation, even though I can book a room at either hotel). Second darkest only to PVB. I'll sit and enjoy my coffee in the Grand Cal lobby over just about anyplace else on property, and I do love Napa Rose and the food at Craftsman, but until they do something drastic with those hotel rooms (both DVC AND cash), you won't see me spending any staycations over there (and they could put the entrance the DVC ON my patio, and it still wouldn't move the needle.

PS, I had the same opinion of the Grand Cal rooms, years before they even thought about building the DVC wing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter