The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

Hi Grand Cal lovers. We are staying at VGC in a few weeks in a hearing accessible studio. We have never stayed in a DVC studio before, and have only stayed one night at VGC previously (2-bedrooms), so don't know the property well. This is also our first time staying without a car.

I am wondering about food options, as we have some special food needs in our family. Usually we stay in larger rooms and make breakfast in the room and make a lunch to pack into the park. It looks like the studios come with a microwave, mini fridge, and toaster. Is there a shop on site to buy simple groceries (i.e. bananas, milk, eggs, bread, lunch meat, etc)? Or will we need to have groceries delivered? Can we have groceries delivered before we arrive, and if so, will they hold them at the desk or put them in the room? Do they provide washable plates and silverware, or is it disposable? Is there a freezer in the fridge?

Thanks!

Hi Grand Cal lovers. We are staying at VGC in a few weeks in a hearing accessible studio. We have never stayed in a DVC studio before, and have only stayed one night at VGC previously (2-bedrooms), so don't know the property well. This is also our first time staying without a car.

I am wondering about food options, as we have some special food needs in our family. Usually we stay in larger rooms and make breakfast in the room and make a lunch to pack into the park. It looks like the studios come with a microwave, mini fridge, and toaster. Is there a shop on site to buy simple groceries (i.e. bananas, milk, eggs, bread, lunch meat, etc)? Or will we need to have groceries delivered? Can we have groceries delivered before we arrive, and if so, will they hold them at the desk or put them in the room? Do they provide washable plates and silverware, or is it disposable? Is there a freezer in the fridge?

Thanks!
No real place to buy groceries on property (no great option within walking distance either). Maybe try a delivery service? (or Lyft/Uber to a store when you get there)

We've done Instacart without any problems. You just need to meet the car to pick up the groceries. I'd recommend later at night when things are calm and the valets aren't around much. That way they'll be able to just stop in front the breezeway between the Hotel and VGC lobby.

We've done Instacart without any problems. You just need to meet the car to pick up the groceries. I'd recommend later at night when things are calm and the valets aren't around much. That way they'll be able to just stop in front the breezeway between the Hotel and VGC lobby.
Good tip. Thank you!

Do they provide washable plates and silverware, or is it disposable? Is there a freezer in the fridge?
The plates & silverware in a studio are all disposable. The fridge is an under the counter model, with a small freezer compartment, it is maybe 4” or so in height, I have put 16-oz Water bottles in there to freeze, as well as portable ice packs.

Is there a shop on site to buy simple groceries (i.e. bananas, milk, eggs, bread, lunch meat, etc)?

Craftsman Grill actually has some simple groceries available to purchase, but of course they tend to be on the pricey side. Acorn Gifts & Goods also has basic snacks/toiletries. If you are picky about brands, it will likely be best to order food for delivery.

Also, just a heads up, in our experience at VGC, not all studios have freezers in the mini fridge.

Thanks!
There is a CVS only a 15-20min walk away, I always find that easier than doing a delivery. I also pack my own picnic plates and silverware (plus a good knife) as I find the paper plates not much use.

Apparently they are currently doing some work on the lobby. It looks like the carpet is being replaced with identical carpet. And the seating is being reupholstered.

What’s concerning to me and I hope that I totally misunderstood what I was seeing in the video I saw… but

It appears as if they were painting some of the dark wood around the seating white. 😳

Once again I hope I’m wrong on that last part. The Grand Californian lobby is gorgeous. I hope they don’t try to paint it white to make it look more like the grand Floridian.

Apparently they are currently doing some work on the lobby. It looks like the carpet is being replaced with identical carpet. And the seating is being reupholstered.

What’s concerning to me and I hope that I totally misunderstood what I was seeing in the video I saw… but

It appears as if they were painting some of the dark wood around the seating white. 😳

Once again I hope I’m wrong on that last part. The Grand Californian lobby is gorgeous. I hope they don’t try to paint it white to make it look more like the grand Floridian.
Could the white be just primer and not the final color?

What video?

I’m gonna guess FreshBaked. I just watched it & they showed some work being done in the lobby.
Yeah it was freshBaked. Wasn’t sure if I was allowed to post a link to him here…

Here is what I’m worried about… however someone staying there said it is now complete and it’s not white… so it must have been something else they were spraying on there

IMG_3428.jpeg

IMG_3429.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3429.jpeg
    IMG_3429.jpeg
    90.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3428.jpeg
    IMG_3428.jpeg
    90.4 KB · Views: 2
Watched the video and it did appear white but the video was completely blown out so it was hard to tell. However, the voiceover indicated that things were being refreshed rather than changed. I'd go with the opinion of the person actually there filming the video rather than trying to interpret something opposite from a grainy, blown out iphone video.

My first time in Epcot will be extended evening hours so hopefully lines will be at a minimum, but also the next 3 nights at Boardwalk will make it easy to get back & check out the rest with ease. *fingers crossed*

I'm wondering about which days I may want to try Genie+, I've never used it, but I'm thinking a few times during this trip could be a good time start.
I’ve gone enough times now that I think I’ve mastered how to maximize G+ as a dvc member. Extended hours at Epcot is great especially if you grab an early Cosmic Rewind reservation. My priorities are always Frozen and Remy because the lines are usually insane during the day. During extended hours I think I waited 15 min maybe for Frozen and the line was way shorter when I got off the ride. Then I rode Remy 3 times in a row since it was walk on. I only buy G+ for HS and AK because extended hour works so well for Epcot and MK. If I’m park hopping to MK later though then I will go ahead and buy the park hopper G+. There’s so few rides that need G+ at HS and AK that I usually start stacking rides at MK for my late afternoon/evening on. I will say it does take some practice to use G+ well though. I’ve heard some ppl end up only booking like 1 good ride for the day and then getting upset about it. But now that I know how to use it well, I think it’s worth every penny to not have to stand in 60+ min lines. Hope you have an amazing trip!

I’ve gone enough times now that I think I’ve mastered how to maximize G+ as a dvc member. Extended hours at Epcot is great especially if you grab an early Cosmic Rewind reservation. My priorities are always Frozen and Remy because the lines are usually insane during the day. During extended hours I think I waited 15 min maybe for Frozen and the line was way shorter when I got off the ride. Then I rode Remy 3 times in a row since it was walk on. I only buy G+ for HS and AK because extended hour works so well for Epcot and MK. If I’m park hopping to MK later though then I will go ahead and buy the park hopper G+. There’s so few rides that need G+ at HS and AK that I usually start stacking rides at MK for my late afternoon/evening on. I will say it does take some practice to use G+ well though. I’ve heard some ppl end up only booking like 1 good ride for the day and then getting upset about it. But now that I know how to use it well, I think it’s worth every penny to not have to stand in 60+ min lines. Hope you have an amazing trip!
Great info!! I never thought of stacking stuff before I got to a different park.
Is Cosmic Rewind the Aerosmith one? (it’s down for refurb, so I won’t get to ride that one).
I do have a few different days when I will be hopping, so maybe I will try that on my EEH at MK day.. maybe even try it a day earlier on a split Epcot/HS day.

Great info!! I never thought of stacking stuff before I got to a different park.
Is Cosmic Rewind the Aerosmith one? (it’s down for refurb, so I won’t get to ride that one).
I do have a few different days when I will be hopping, so maybe I will try that on my EEH at MK day.. maybe even try it a day earlier on a split Epcot/HS day.
Cosmic Rewind is the Guardian of the Galaxy ride at Epcot, also known as best WDW ride ever. 😅 Remember to set an alarm to grab the VQ for extended hours at 6pm!

Cosmic Rewind is the Guardian of the Galaxy ride at Epcot, also known as best WDW ride ever. 😅 Remember to set an alarm to grab the VQ for extended hours at 6pm!
Oops. Good to know, I will definitely do that.

It’s funny, since I’ve never been to WDW, there are a few things I don’t know anything about, I used to say Fitbit instead of Figment, and had no idea what an Orange Bird was. lol

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter