The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

Has anyone plugged a streaming device into the TVs here via HDMI and been able to watch something on the TV? Does it allow input switches on the remote or tv?

I’m staying in the hotel rooms this weekend, but hoping the TV’s are the same. Thanks!

Has anyone plugged a streaming device into the TVs here via HDMI and been able to watch something on the TV? Does it allow input switches on the remote or tv?

I’m staying in the hotel rooms this weekend, but hoping the TV’s are the same. Thanks!
@Nonsuch reported about the new TV system in VGC. I checked it out a few weeks later and was able to "cast" to the TV from iPhone as described. We didn't watch a full movie, but it definitely worked. There were still HDMI plugs available, but I didn't mess with them and I think it's correct the new digital box may cause some hassles there.

If the hotel side still has the old TV system, then the HDMI should still work. But I think the hotel side has the boxes now (can check recent Youtube reviews...seems to be a couple each week). :thumbsup2

Some details here on the new system:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/grand-californian-super-thread.2396588/post-63507189

For anyone that has been there recently… do the studios have coffee mugs or is it all paper products? Does the mini fridge have a freezer and if so does it actually get cold/fit anything? Thank you in advance!

For anyone that has been there recently… do the studios have coffee mugs or is it all paper products? Does the mini fridge have a freezer and if so does it actually get cold/fit anything? Thank you in advance!

I was last there in November. As I recall, it was all paper products (including the cups). The fridge did have a freezer but we did not put anything in it, so I can't say if it froze.

It's all paper products. I think I recall a very small freezer section, but we didn't use it (was just there April 9 -14).

We arrive in 2 days, DVC room at VGC. Is there now online check-in? And if so, when can we do that and how? I called DVC last weekend and they did not know the answer. Thanks!

After only 2 years of being a VGC owner, I have decided to sell my contract. I'm very torn because I love everything about staying at the Grand Californian from the quick and easy access to California Adventure and Disneyland to the ambiance of the resort. But, my family outgrew their enjoyment of going to the parks faster than I thought they would, so it is time to let it go. We bought in during February of 2020 and were only able to stay there once this last fall for Oogie Boogie Bash. However, that one trip was as wonderful as I hoped it would be having experienced all of the benefits of being a DVC member and a VGC owner. Hopefully someday I will be able to return with my grandkids to the Happiest Place on Earth and enjoy the Magic that Walt built once again. Farewell to all of the fellow VGC owners. May you all have plenty of magical moments on your wonderful adventures for many years to come!
I bought in January 2020 at $180. You should make a decent profit, it’s going for $280-$300 now.

Does anyone know if the 2024 remodel will replace the current beds in the couches with the much better murphy style couch beds I see in videos of newer DVC resorts? Seems like VDH will have those and I would hope VGC will get them soon.
One would assume since they've done them on all new construction and refurbishments recently but nothing definitive has been said at all about VGC full refurbishment other than the year. I'm hoping for 1) Murphy bed 2) Laminate flooring 3) Much more lighting 4) Speaking of more lighting, one of those mirrors with the light surround. 5) Not refurbishment related but... can we trim those trees sometimes so we don't lose the theme park view?

Another question: I did online check-in. I have 4 adults in our party. How do they all get 'keys?' Do they all have to add the reservation to their app? And is there a way to get physical keys? Thank you!

Another question: I did online check-in. I have 4 adults in our party. How do they all get 'keys?' Do they all have to add the reservation to their app? And is there a way to get physical keys? Thank you!

Yes, they need to be listed on the reservation via your Member Services account. Then they need to "claim" the reservation by adding it to their Disneyland.com account. Once done, they should show up as "Linked Accounts" under your hotel reservations page. This should give them room charging and digital key capability.

But one wrinkle is that you've already checked in. If they aren't yet listed on the reservation, this may/may not cause an issue. After getting them all connected, you might try online check-in again and see if it will refresh everything. Or you could call the hotel direct and ask for front desk assistance and see if everyone is setup properly in the system for digital key.

Plastic Keys: Yes, you can pick these up at any time from the front desk. :thumbsup2

I bought in January 2020 at $180. You should make a decent profit, it’s going for $280-$300 now.
***?! I haven't looked at resale pretty much ever, as we've got a lot of family that are always ready to be "helpful" and use our points even when we don't go. I had no idea that VGC was selling that high! That's even with the original deed expiration? Or do recently sold points by Disney have an extended deed expiration?
ETA: Will the new Disneyland villas decrease the VGC price?

Last edited:
Yes, they need to be listed on the reservation via your Member Services account. Then they need to "claim" the reservation by adding it to their Disneyland.com account. Once done, they should show up as "Linked Accounts" under your hotel reservations page. This should give them room charging and digital key capability.

But one wrinkle is that you've already checked in. If they aren't yet listed on the reservation, this may/may not cause an issue. After getting them all connected, you might try online check-in again and see if it will refresh everything. Or you could call the hotel direct and ask for front desk assistance and see if everyone is setup properly in the system for digital key.

Plastic Keys: Yes, you can pick these up at any time from the front desk. :thumbsup2
I successfully linked my daughter's app (iPhone) and my friends app, but my husband's iPhone app absolutely would not link. Said the reservation didn't exist. Checked the # 5,000 times. Called the number they gave for help, who couldn't help. Ended up being transferred to 5 different departments, and the last one who said they could ask tech for help . . . it disconnected. After an hour and a half, I gave up. They did say this was noted as an issue that happens sometimes.

***?! I haven't looked at resale pretty much ever, as we've got a lot of family that are always ready to be "helpful" and use our points even when we don't go. I had no idea that VGC was selling that high! That's even with the original deed expiration? Or do recently sold points by Disney have an extended deed expiration?
ETA: Will the new Disneyland villas decrease the VGC price?
As someone who has been stalking contracts at VGC for a few months while I consider taking the plunge and am now actively pulling together funds to make a move on a (or some) contract(s) I see some downward price pressure on larger contracts. I would say that high 260s to low/mid 270s are reasonable and this is my target price I'm going to shoot for depending on the contract and the number of points on it.

It's hard to say what is causing this. I would guess some families are going to be excited at the higher # of smaller rooms at VDH and also be willing to gamble that the resort will have a better point chart and lower price per point when it goes on sale. This has made me want to consider waiting for VDH and I did consider that. In the end we decided that VGC was our dream and we are going to lock in for that if all goes well.

I successfully linked my daughter's app (iPhone) and my friends app, but my husband's iPhone app absolutely would not link. Said the reservation didn't exist. Checked the # 5,000 times. Called the number they gave for help, who couldn't help. Ended up being transferred to 5 different departments, and the last one who said they could ask tech for help . . . it disconnected. After an hour and a half, I gave up. They did say this was noted as an issue that happens sometimes.
Sorry, that's frustrating. For starters (on husband's phone), I would delete the app and re-install it from App store. And then login to his account and see what happens.

Since it's your husband, have you considered you both using the same login? Everything would mirror across both phones from the same account. If the above doesn't work, I would bet using the same login would work. Hope it works for you :thumbsup2

Sorry, that's frustrating. For starters (on husband's phone), I would delete the app and re-install it from App store. And then login to his account and see what happens.

Since it's your husband, have you considered you both using the same login? Everything would mirror across both phones from the same account. If the above doesn't work, I would bet using the same login would work. Hope it works for you :thumbsup2
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll try it again tomorrow. Does it work to mirror if one is an android and one is an iPhone though?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter