• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The WDW Vets Head West! A DL May 2012 TR - Complete!

Thanks for the wonderful comparison between WDW and DL. As I am sure I've mentioned, I really want to visit DL now. I am subbed to three TRs focusing and DL and it looks like such an awesome place. I'm thinking 2014. It's great to know there are so many convenient places to stay within walking distance, although I could also use my DVC points there.

Happy BD to DH! Don't you just love how easily little kids make friends wherever they go. Paxton looks like he is having a ball!

It is awesome, and really a must do for anyone who considers themselves a Disney fan. For the longest time I had no interest in going, then I was interested but figured it would be better to do when my kids were grown since it might be a once in a lifetime thing. Now that I have been there, I am confident we will be back as a family in the future! Probably every few Disney trips, we will rotate in DL instead of WDW. Plus, there are so many other places in California I would love to visit that we didn't have time for!

If you used your DVC points at the GCH, I'm pretty sure you have your own entrance into DCA from that resort! We didn't get to explore the resorts when we were there, but I'm hoping we can tear ourselves away from the park for a little time to check them out. We will definitely be visiting the Disneyland Hotel for our dinner, but I also want to at least see the Grand Californian!

Paxton makes friends literally everywhere. My child has never met a stranger! It's a little worrisome sometimes because until he can understand any better, I think he'd just go off with anyone with a nice smile! But he would run up and stand in front of people waiting at the airport and just start smiling and babbling at them. He made lots of friends in airports!

Nice WDW vs. DL comparison. I think it would be a lot of fun to be a "first time vistor" as well.

I'm glad your airport experience and flight went smoothly. :thumbsup2

A girl coming into the parks at the same time as us one day saw my button and looked all surprised as she asked me if it was REALLY my first visit or was I just wearing an old button? She seemed even more surprised when I told her it was really my first visit! :lmao:

I finally got caught up on the rest of your trip since the day you finally got to see WOC! What a great TR and your photos were just awesome! I love, love, loved you family pic with Mickey in Toon Town! Can Paxton be any cuter? :)

Sorry to hear that Toon Town was kind of crazy. We are going to check out Toon Town Morning Madness during our upcoming trip in October. How long were all those characters roaming around for? Do they hang out for a period and then head out for the "honorary family" ceremony at the end? Or the other way around?

Awesome t-shirts you picked out. I especially love the Minnie and Donald ones! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Thanks again for sharing the Disney magic your family experienced! Enjoyed all of it and I look forward to your next trip! :)

Have to agree with the others that the WDW vs DL comparison was great. It seems like there are a few similarities, but a lot of differences. Glad you had fun at DL and I cant wait to hear about your trip back.

LAX is always one of those places of "is that really so and so" for me too! I've seen Howard Stern and Steve Guttenberg (not together) in LAX, but then there have always been those people where its like "gosh, I know that person from somewhere..."

Cant wait to read more about how your trip finished up in Seattle :)

Yay, awesome souvenirs!

Loved your comparison of WDW and DLR. So happy to see you didn't pick one over the other. You are right, they are just different experiences. Nice to enjoy them both in their own unique ways!!

I am itching to go back to my 'home' and see DLR. Probably another year or two. Can't wait to see WoC and glow with the show!

Even the attractions that exist in both parks are almost always different in one way or another! Most of those, the DL version won out, but I don't love the WDW version any less. :goodvibes

We are planning to see WoC as many times as possible on our upcoming anniversary weekend. So far, we are planning to see it 3 times if not more!

I finally got caught up on the rest of your trip since the day you finally got to see WOC! What a great TR and your photos were just awesome! I love, love, loved you family pic with Mickey in Toon Town! Can Paxton be any cuter? :)

Sorry to hear that Toon Town was kind of crazy. We are going to check out Toon Town Morning Madness during our upcoming trip in October. How long were all those characters roaming around for? Do they hang out for a period and then head out for the "honorary family" ceremony at the end? Or the other way around?

Awesome t-shirts you picked out. I especially love the Minnie and Donald ones! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Thanks again for sharing the Disney magic your family experienced! Enjoyed all of it and I look forward to your next trip! :)

Thank you! I think he is pretty darn cute myself. :goodvibes

The characters were not roaming around long. We followed Mickey straight to his house where he went in to start doing meet & greets. I'm pretty sure Minnie went straight to her house as well. Pluto and Goofy were out for a bit, but to be honest, we were just trying to meet Mickey and get out of the craziness! I didn't notice any honorary family ceremony...We weren't in line for Mickey long, but spent awhile in his house so we might have missed something while in there.

I'm glad you enjoyed the TR! We are hard at work for plans on our anniversary weekend. I caught DH working on some optimized touring plans last night. :rotfl:

Have to agree with the others that the WDW vs DL comparison was great. It seems like there are a few similarities, but a lot of differences. Glad you had fun at DL and I cant wait to hear about your trip back.

LAX is always one of those places of "is that really so and so" for me too! I've seen Howard Stern and Steve Guttenberg (not together) in LAX, but then there have always been those people where its like "gosh, I know that person from somewhere..."

Cant wait to read more about how your trip finished up in Seattle :)

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I tried to do an accurate comparison, but there are so many things that make each park a unique experience that it's kind of hard to do one!

I still swear it was Billy Campbell, but DH thinks I'm nuts. :rotfl: I was going crazy trying to figure out who it was because I am SO good with faces but not always at pinpointing where I know the face from. Maybe we will see some other "stars" since we will not only be at LAX a couple more times, but will also be spending some time in Hollywood. :goodvibes

Great souvenirs!

When you said Billy Campbell, I was thinking Melrose Place LOL. Not that guy.

jenny105 said:
Great souvenirs!

When you said Billy Campbell, I was thinking Melrose Place LOL. Not that guy.

Haha! I was wondering why so many pictures of Andrew Shue popped up on my google image search!!

I love that blue Disneyland shirt with just the little logo out front and the cute back! SO nice!!

Looking forward to hearing about Seattle. Your first afternoon was pretty hilarious, glad Paxton had fun!

I love that blue Disneyland shirt with just the little logo out front and the cute back! SO nice!!

Looking forward to hearing about Seattle. Your first afternoon was pretty hilarious, glad Paxton had fun!

That one is my favorite too, I have been wearing it a lot lately! :goodvibes

Paxton had a blast on our continued adventures! Hopefully I can update tomorrow while he is napping.

Oh my gosh, this TR has been fantastic! I actually just read it all tonight in one sitting, because we are going on our first ever trip to Disneyland this November/December, and we are WDW vets! Well, DH has been to Disneyland once, but I've never gone! We're going for my birthday and I am so excited, but also nervous because we don't know it like we know WDW!

Your TR made me SO excited for our trip, I can't even wait! Hearing your feedback on some of the attractions was super super helpful so I just wanted to say thank you for sharing this TR!

On top of that, I'm planning on following along with the rest of your trip because I'm from Seattle, so I'd love to see how you liked it! :goodvibes

Oh my gosh, this TR has been fantastic! I actually just read it all tonight in one sitting, because we are going on our first ever trip to Disneyland this November/December, and we are WDW vets! Well, DH has been to Disneyland once, but I've never gone! We're going for my birthday and I am so excited, but also nervous because we don't know it like we know WDW!

Your TR made me SO excited for our trip, I can't even wait! Hearing your feedback on some of the attractions was super super helpful so I just wanted to say thank you for sharing this TR!

On top of that, I'm planning on following along with the rest of your trip because I'm from Seattle, so I'd love to see how you liked it! :goodvibes

I'm so glad you enjoyed it and got some good information for your upcoming trip!! I would love to go back to DL during the holiday season. I hope you are planning to do a TR of your trip!

Well, hopefully you won't be disappointed in the rest. We actually did not spend ANY time in the city when we went to Washington! We spent the whole weekend on Camano Island with DH's family. I thought we would venture out to Seattle at least one day to go back to Pike Place Market and shop, but I think we were just too wiped out from our adventures in DL. :rotfl: I hope you will still follow along anyway! :thumbsup2 Thanks for the wonderful feedback!!

DAY 6: Saturday May 19th

The sun tried to wake us up bright and early on Saturday morning, but we adjusted the blinds and got a couple more hours of sleep. Finally, we rolled out of bed by 8:30 and went to get DS up for the day. Having him sleep in the media room with no windows was definitely a good idea! Who knows how early he would have gotten up otherwise.

We had breakfast and got dressed, then waited for Aunt J to be ready to go get DH's Grandma. When she left to go get Grandma, we went outside to enjoy the gorgeous weather and fantastic views.

1403.jpg

Unfortunately, we never got a photo where you could see all of the mountains in the distance, but the view from their back deck can be so gorgeous when the weather conditions are nice!

DS immediately found the fenced in area for the dogs complete with his favorite...gravel!

1410.jpg

1422.jpg

After playing around in the backyard for awhile, we headed around to check out the front. As I mentioned in the last update, both of their Schnauzers compete in agility competitions. They had all of their training equipment out on the front lawn for the dogs to practice, so DS was just in heaven!

1425.jpg

1427.jpg

1432.jpg

1433.jpg

Running the agility course definitely kept DS happy and had DH and I laughing our butts off! Eventually, Aunt J and Grandma made it to the house, so we visited for a little while with her. We haven't seen her since our visit a few months after our wedding, so it's been nearly 4 1/2 years. They used to visit New Orleans pretty often, but with her declining health, she hasn't been able to make the trip since before we were married. And of course, she has never met DS either, so I think she was quite thrilled to finally get to see him.

The city had recently built a huge playground on the Island that Aunt J was excited to take us to. When we got there, it looked like there was a birthday party or something happening, but luckily there was a separate area for toddlers, so we stayed there. There were only a few other kids playing so DS had run of the place, which made him happy.

1434.jpg

1436.jpg

1437.jpg

1441.jpg

DS was having a blast on the slide, but DH told me I was hovering and should let him try going down on his own. This was the result...

Lol Luckily he didn't care one bit!

1443.jpg

1452.jpg

1453.jpg

1455.jpg

1456.jpg

Besides the slide, he really loved the tunnels! He would just go back and forth, then run over to something else, then come right back to the tunnels.

Continued in next post...

DAY 6 Continued: Saturday May 19th

After running around the playground, we were hungry for lunch. There was a restaurant nearby called Islander's so we decided to stop there. I got a burger, and DH had the fish & chips. We ordered a grilled cheese for DS and it said it came with fries or seasonal fruit, so we went with the fruit expecting grapes or berries. Instead his plate came out with two huge slices of cantaloupe & honeydew melon! :rotfl: Needless to say, he didn't eat much fruit with his sandwich.

1457.jpg

Once we finished eating, we decided we'd better head back to the house and let DS take a nap. I went to change his diaper before putting him down and got a hilarious surprise. Not only did he have the usual wet business going on, he also had 2 pieces of gravel from the dog pen and 2 wood chips from the playground in there! :lmao: I about died laughing. And now when I look at some of the other videos from the playground, I notice he keeps grabbing at his booty while playing and now I know why!

While he was downstairs sleeping, the four of us had some time to sit upstairs and talk in the living room. It was then that I noticed the sky had cleared and you could see the mountains really well, and I made a mental note to have DH take pictures later. But by the next day when we remembered, it was raining and nasty outside with no view whatsoever. Maybe next visit...

When we got him up from his nap, we started getting our things together to head out to the beach. I asked DH if he had both cameras, and he noticed our point & shoot wasn't in the bag. I felt my heart sink further as we kept looking for the camera in the car, in the guest room, all over the house and couldn't find it. The last place we remembered using it was...the restaurant! Aunt J quickly called them and they said they had it waiting for us at the podium since someone had found it and turned it in. Thank goodness!!

So our first stop was back at Islander's to pick up the camera. DH ran inside to get it and when he got back in the car, he turned it on to check it and said, "I knew it!" When I asked him what he knew, he held the screen out to show me and said he had a feeling whoever turned it in had taken a picture of themselves. Sure enough, we have the picture to prove it. Sorry for posting it on the DIS, guys I don't know, but thanks for the laugh and for returning the camera!

1458.jpg

I was so thankful to have the camera back I snapped this adorable smile from DS.

1460.jpg

With our camera safe, we headed out to our original destination, Cama Beach State Park. There was a wedding going on so we had to drive around to find a spot to park, but eventually we found a space and headed down to the beach. There were people everywhere because there are a bunch of cabins lining the water and a lot of families were camping for the weekend there. DS got a kick out of waving to everyone.

We went down to the water and DS was ecstatic to learn that this was a rock beach!

1464.jpg

Trying to teach him how to throw them into the water!

1476.jpg

1484.jpg

1466.jpg

A lady & her dog came near us and DS loved watching the dog fetch sticks in the water.

DH was trying to teach me how to skip rocks, and I just wasn't getting it. However, the second DH decided to record me trying, I was able to do it! Never repeated that success, but at least we have it on video as proof that I actually did manage to skip a rock at least once in my lifetime.

We walked down a little further to the other end of the beach to see if their little shop was open but it wasn't unfortunately. Instead we enjoyed the scenery, DS played with the girls from the closest cabin and waved at passing cars, and we just enjoyed spending time together.

1469.jpg

DS with his Great Grandma

1471.jpg

1494.jpg

1495.jpg

1496.jpg

1509.jpg

We went back home for some dinner, then gave DS a good bath after all the playing he had done. He certainly needed it! We got him to bed for a reasonable hour for the first time since our first night in California, then went to bed pretty early ourselves.

UP NEXT: Our very last vacation day!

:rotfl: I love that the people who found it took a silly picture. At least they were nice enough to turn it in!

I missed quite a few updates. Things got a bit crazy over here with Zavier having a fever and his first birthday party. Sadly the fever decided to debut the day of his party. Despite not feeling the greatest, his party turned out really good anyways :thumbsup2 And of course a few days after he seemed to be better I started to have a fever, and eye and headache issues...we just cant all be healthy at the same time I guess lol.

Anyways lots of comments! I love all of your souvenirs. Your TR has me considering a trip to DL someday. I had never considered it before because I figured I wouldn't enjoy it as much as WDW but it seems that it definitely has alot to offer. Maybe we will plan it in a few years!

I can relate to 7:30 being sleeping in. Anytime after 7, I am super happy. I tell DH all the time I wouldnt know how to react to sleeping until 9 like I used to.

I absolutely LOVE your videos. The ones of Paxton doing the agility course are so cute. I totally laughed out loud watching him try to crawl over the hurdle. I love it! I will admit I also had a chuckle watching him go down the slide...of course knowing he wasn't hurt. We have had a few moments like that. Just the other day he was using one of his walking toys and got it stuck. I told DH to leave him alone and see if he can figure it out... and bam there he goes down on his head...oops, mommy fail. Thank goodness he was fine and had more of "what in the world just happened" reaction and went on with his business as if nothing had happened.

I'm glad you found your camera. Too funny that they took a picture!

I'm back and all caught up! I'm sorry that your DL trip had to come to an end, but at least you got to extend the vacation a little by visiting family. Thanks for writing your honest opinion in the wrap up, its really making me think that it is doable to do DL with a pre-schooler and a baby. The flight will be rough, but I think you are right about the proximity and the smallness of the parks making it easier.

I love the photos of Paxton in the agility course, they were totally cracking me up. I think he is ready for a baby agility contest! :rotfl2:

After playing around in the backyard for awhile, we headed around to check out the front. As I mentioned in the last update, both of their Schnauzers compete in agility competitions. They had all of their training equipment out on the front lawn for the dogs to practice, so DS was just in heaven!
He seemed to really be taking to the agility course very well. Did he get to do any head to head competitions against the schnauzers? :lmao::rotfl:

DS was having a blast on the slide, but DH told me I was hovering and should let him try going down on his own. This was the result...

Lol Luckily he didn't care one bit!
It's just part of life. Sometimes you're just gonna fall on your butt. I'm glad it didn't bother him though.

Not only did he have the usual wet business going on, he also had 2 pieces of gravel from the dog pen and 2 wood chips from the playground in there! :lmao: I about died laughing. And now when I look at some of the other videos from the playground, I notice he keeps grabbing at his booty while playing and now I know why!
Ouch. Poor guy.

DH ran inside to get it and when he got back in the car, he turned it on to check it and said, "I knew it!" When I asked him what he knew, he held the screen out to show me and said he had a feeling whoever turned it in had taken a picture of themselves.
:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

We went down to the water and DS was ecstatic to learn that this was a rock beach!
Was he able to keep them out of his diaper this time?

I missed quite a few updates. Things got a bit crazy over here with Zavier having a fever and his first birthday party. Sadly the fever decided to debut the day of his party. Despite not feeling the greatest, his party turned out really good anyways :thumbsup2 And of course a few days after he seemed to be better I started to have a fever, and eye and headache issues...we just cant all be healthy at the same time I guess lol.

Anyways lots of comments! I love all of your souvenirs. Your TR has me considering a trip to DL someday. I had never considered it before because I figured I wouldn't enjoy it as much as WDW but it seems that it definitely has alot to offer. Maybe we will plan it in a few years!

I can relate to 7:30 being sleeping in. Anytime after 7, I am super happy. I tell DH all the time I wouldnt know how to react to sleeping until 9 like I used to.

I absolutely LOVE your videos. The ones of Paxton doing the agility course are so cute. I totally laughed out loud watching him try to crawl over the hurdle. I love it! I will admit I also had a chuckle watching him go down the slide...of course knowing he wasn't hurt. We have had a few moments like that. Just the other day he was using one of his walking toys and got it stuck. I told DH to leave him alone and see if he can figure it out... and bam there he goes down on his head...oops, mommy fail. Thank goodness he was fine and had more of "what in the world just happened" reaction and went on with his business as if nothing had happened.

I'm glad you found your camera. Too funny that they took a picture!

That is so terrible!! I'm glad he was at least able to have a successful party. Hopefully you are all on your way to feeling better soon. It stinks when your little one is sick, but it's even harder when you're the one that's sick and your child is still going a mile a minute!

A trip to DL is a great idea for any WDW lovers, especially with young kids. It's so much easier to park hop and it doesn't require as much obsessive planning (although that IS one of the fun parts of planning a WDW trip, isn't it? :rotfl:).

It's hard to know sometimes when to jump in and when to let them learn on their own! Just part of being a mommy I guess. At least he was okay! They get over things quick most of the time. Sometimes I wonder when he bumps sometime or falls how much of the crying is really that he's hurt or if he just wants a reaction out of me and DH. I know I have caught him several times hurting himself when he thinks we aren't watching and he doesn't make a sound & goes about his business! Kids... :lmao:

I'm back and all caught up! I'm sorry that your DL trip had to come to an end, but at least you got to extend the vacation a little by visiting family. Thanks for writing your honest opinion in the wrap up, its really making me think that it is doable to do DL with a pre-schooler and a baby. The flight will be rough, but I think you are right about the proximity and the smallness of the parks making it easier.

I love the photos of Paxton in the agility course, they were totally cracking me up. I think he is ready for a baby agility contest! :rotfl2:

DL is absolutely doable with a preschooler & baby! Not that I have traveled with more than one kid to either park, but I know how much easier it was with DS at DLR compared to WDW, so multiplying by 2 kids I think it would be even better. You can get a lot done in both parks each day instead of planning where to be before the nap break and after.

He had a blast on the agility course! They actually have a little doggy treadmill to help their dogs train & exercise, and DH got a good video of DS on it...I'll have to try to get it off his phone and post it. It was really funny!

He seemed to really be taking to the agility course very well. Did he get to do any head to head competitions against the schnauzers? :lmao::rotfl:

It's just part of life. Sometimes you're just gonna fall on your butt. I'm glad it didn't bother him though.

Ouch. Poor guy.

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

Was he able to keep them out of his diaper this time?

Unfortunately, no! By the time the schnauzers got home from their weekend competition, the weather was too nasty outside for a head to head toddler/schnauzer face off. Maybe next time! :lmao:

Definitely didn't bother him. He wanted to get right up and go again!

He sat through lunch with all that stuff in his diaper and never complained! :rotfl: Don't ask me how...

No rocks in his diaper after the beach! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter