The weather seems fine, but shore excursions are canceled. Frustrating, no doubt....

Disney1fan2002

<font color=red>Like OMG the TF is SOO psyched to
I will never complain again. They know more than we do.

We sailed on the May 9th Dream. Castaway Cay day was beautiful. Sunny, warm, but windy. As soon as we stepped off the ship, I knew parasailing would be canceled. Sure enough, the chalkboard listed parasailing and the walking and kayak tour was canceled. We had 30 minute single kayak rentals for 3 pm. They told us they were fine. Just the kayaks with the walking tour were canceled. Around 1230-1PM, it rained for a bit, but then the sun came back out. Around 230pm, we headed to the boat beach to see if we might be able to get 2 kayaks early. yes we could. The girl gave us a safety talk, telling us if we need help, to put both arms up, and we headed out. I have not kayaked in about 12 years, my friend owns a kayak, so she was all set. I got about 1/2 way out, when it started raining. I thought nothing of it, because it rained earlier for a bit, but the sun came back out. Well, the rain got heavier, and the water started getting rough. I was having a hard time moving the kayak into the wind, which was blowing from the beach. It didn't take me long to realize I could not fight the wind, so I did what they told me to do, if I needed help, I put both arms up. Every time I put the oar down to put my arms up, the wind blew my kayak back. My friend had her arms up too. The rain is pelting, the sea is now officially rough. I am now in the roped off area we were told to stay away from, I am being pushed towards the ship. I now have no strength to row back towards the beach. I keep putting my arms up, to no avail. I am starting to panic, so I am screaming into the wind "MY ARMS ARE UP!!!" Finally, after I didn't even know how long, a guy on a jet ski came and pulled me to the correct side of the rope. To my horror, he unhooked me and told me to try to get in to the beach. I told him I can't row against the wind. He said he had to get my friend. That's when I noticed she was being pushed into the rocks near Marges Barge. Another jet ski came out, and our guy pointed out to sea. The 2nd jet ski took off. He tows my friend over to me, and hooks us both up, and tows us into the beach real slow. I was never so happy to step on a sandy beach. We were taking our life jackets off and getting our stuff, when the other jet ski came back towing a family in one of the little sail boats you can rent. He had been gone for a while, so we don't even know how far out they got blown.

I will never, ever, ever complain when shore excursions are canceled. This storm came from nowhere. The workers on the beach told us they had no idea it was coming. Standing in line to get on the ship, I literally thought it was a hurricane, with the whipping wind and the pouring rain. We were all soaked to the bone by the time we got on the ship.

We were on that cruise as well, and that weather on Castaway Cay was WILD! Such a scary story and I'm so glad you were ok! Your story is a good message to follow safety protocols and understand why they make decisions they do. Like you said, it was windy throughout the day, but I don't think they predicted that kind of rain and wind! Crew members were telling us that it is rare to see weather like that. The lines for the tram were crazy and I felt so bad for parents with little kids trying to get on them and then waiting on line to get on the ship. It was miserable. The saddest part was that it was beautiful and sunny as we sailed away from Castaway Cay! Definitely one for the books. I told my DH I want a do-over since I live for a Castaway Cay day, lol. Thanks for sharing your experience! :)

Yikes! We had a rough time once, not nearly as bad, but we were in the snorkel lagoon, DH snd my twins who were 7 at the time and the sky suddenly went dark and the water started getting real choppy. We started heading back to shore but were pretty far out and by the time we were midway, it was so bad the kids were going under with every wave despite the snorkel vests and couldn’t push forward as the undertow kept dragging them back, so DH and I each held one of them up and swam while supporting them above the water. DH and I are very strong swimmers but I was completely wiped out by the end. It only took us about 15 mins to get to where we could stand and carry the kids to shore but it was an exhausting 15 mins. I didn’t think to try to signal a lifeguard again because we were strong swimmers and knew we weren’t in real danger as we were making progress but in hindsight I bet they were busy helping others that needed it more. I haven’t snorkeled at CC since then!! When the weather turns bad in the Bahamas, it comes out of nowhere and is pretty intense! We beelined back to the ship since it wad clear a big storm was brewing and sure enough just as we were getting in line to check in and reboard the sky opened opened up and it started pouring rain. That was a crazy day!

I'm glad you all were ok. Thank you for the reminder, there usually is a method to their madness.

We were on the sandbar excursion on CC when this storm started rolling in. It was a bit scary! We saw our excursion captain carefully watching the weather. It missed us on the sandbar, but poured on the island. We returned when the whole thing was over. Happy he knew what he was doing because I was a bit worried being on a sandbar, on the water, during a thunderstorm.115714257_3455453757822913_3835922355654547396_n.jpg

We were on the sandbar excursion on CC when this storm started rolling in. It was a bit scary! We saw our excursion captain carefully watching the weather. It missed us on the sandbar, but poured on the island. We returned when the whole thing was over. Happy he knew what he was doing because I was a bit worried being on a sandbar, on the water, during a thunderstorm.View attachment 670678
Awesome pic! I would’ve been very nervous, too. Glad to hear this excursion is back. We were hoping to do it last November, but it wasn’t offered. We’ll try again in September!

Awesome pic! I would’ve been very nervous, too. Glad to hear this excursion is back. We were hoping to do it last November, but it wasn’t offered. We’ll try again in September!
This was before the 'Rona. We had a bunch of fun. The crew was great. The drinks were flowing. We played some fun games out there or relaxed. Surrounded by ocean. I loved it. But the storm-made me pretty nervous!19956925_1608152479219726_3291383847175050987_o.jpg

We were on the sandbar excursion on CC when this storm started rolling in. It was a bit scary! We saw our excursion captain carefully watching the weather. It missed us on the sandbar, but poured on the island. We returned when the whole thing was over. Happy he knew what he was doing because I was a bit worried being on a sandbar, on the water, during a thunderstorm.View attachment 670678
That is a fantastic picture!! Glad you stayed safe

On our first cruise we did the stingray excursion on CC. The weather was prefect at the start while we were feeding the stingray. When we start to snorkel it started raining but it wasn’t long until it was poring. This is a picture of the ship from the stingray covered area.

Attachments

• C4A3B17B-9346-49A4-A05C-0F13C3C91DC4.jpeg
    C4A3B17B-9346-49A4-A05C-0F13C3C91DC4.jpeg
    21.3 KB · Views: 9

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter