• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The What's For Dinner Thread - March '11 (recipe index in OP)

Hey, all!

Princess, great pictures!

Today is my birthday and Scott always takes it off. After running some errands, we are going to The Olive Garden and then to the movies to see, "The Help." It should be a great day!

Everyone have a great Monday!

Hey, all!

Today is my birthday and Scott always takes it off. After running some errands, we are going to The Olive Garden and then to the movies to see, "The Help." It should be a great day!

Hope you two have a wonderful day. Happy Birthday just one day after my husbands B-day.

Hey y'all. This, annually, is one of my worst days. Six years ago Hurricane Katrina almost totally destroyed my home and was the beginning of my Daddy's last days. My home has been rebuilt but my Daddy never made it home from Texas. I'm sorry for being a weepy mess today.

Hey y'all. This, annually, is one of my worst days. Six years ago Hurricane Katrina almost totally destroyed my home and was the beginning of my Daddy's last days. My home has been rebuilt but my Daddy never made it home from Texas. I'm sorry for being a weepy mess today.

Oh sweetie, I am so so so sorry. I wish I could be there for you. Please call if you need to.

Lindsay ~ Happy Birthday my friend. I hope your day is special.

Janice ~ Your fig recipes look amazing. Sad to say I am the only one in my house that loves figs tho.

Ann ~ Hi!! Gald to know you are ok.

Glynis ~ Your outing to the concert sounds like a really good time.
I love your idea of "a day of service" I might steal it and use it here at the church for my Senior High kids. They would love this.
I have used your cake batter rice krispies and YES they are the hit of the party. Thanks!!!

Sheryl ~ OMG thanks so much for the Avacado soup. I am going to the grocery tonight to get the ingrediends. That is going to be dinner tomorrow night. YUM!!!!

Princess ~ Your tea cake looks wonderful. Those are my kind of go to things. I hate getting caught with nothing for my guests. I always try to keep something in the freezer for those moments.
The festival looks amazing - those are some big pots of food. :eek:

Jen ~ I hope your have a good week. And good luck to J on the braces. Yes - soup will be his friend for awhile.
I love Tooter!! What a sweetie. Be sure to let us know if she is a she or a he and how her eye is.

Nan ~ sorry for the damage. But glad it wasn't worse.
Your Chocolate Mayo cake is going in my book. Sounds just about perfect.

Robin and Merle ~ So glad you are ok.

Aimee ~ Happy Belated Birthday to DH. Your weekend sounds just about perfect.

We kind of had a quiet weekend here. The kids were all busy and Doug and I just enjoyed the quiet. We got things mowed up, the wash done, house cleaned and then we just played. It was so nice.

Thoughts and prayers to all of my friends in the North East. I see the damage on the news. But I really do think you all were lucky as they say it could have been much worse. Now just clean up. Wish I could help more.

Tonight is the BIG night!!! :woohoo: Doug and his team playe for 1 & 2 place in his golf league. I so hope they win. Such a fluke if they do but none the less I hope they pull it out. :cheer2: It is suppose to storm tonight so that could make a difference. Oh well, please keep your fingers crossed.

WFDT ~ BLT with avacado, pasta salad, and sweet potato fries.

Make it a great day everyone!!

Morning, all! We're into the second week of school, and still the kids are loving it. They bounce out of bed when I call them, so it makes my day much happier!

Jen - Good luck with the vet and the orthodontist!

Princess - What a fun Festival!! It looks like there's something for everyone! I think I'm going to try your cake recipe for an after school snack.

Nancy - I love tomato sandwiches, too! Unfortunately, I'm the only one. Maybe we should trade families for a while, huh? Mine would love the salmon!!!

Kathy - It is understandable that you are weepy today. We are all here for you!

Lindsay - Happy birthday! I hope you and Scott have a great day together!

Dinner tonight will be roast beef po'boy sandwiches. I got some quinoa at the store, so I might throw together a salad with that to go with the sammies!

Have a great day, everyone!

:hug:

We didn't get much damage from Irene. I have a power line down in my front yard (it's not the power to my house though), and some downed tree branches but that is all. Laura is also fine, with no damage to her house.

Lindsay, happy birthday!

Sheryl, those arancini look delicious.

WFD: either sausage and pepper subs, or corn chowder with tomato sandwiches.

Happy birthday, Lindsay! Sounds like a great way to spend your day!!

Oh, Kat, I'm so sorry :hug: I know "we" haven't talked much about the realities of what you experienced but I know it was truly a dark period of time for you. Many prayers to you today.

Tonight is the BIG night!!! :woohoo: Doug and his team playe for 1 & 2 place in his golf league. I so hope they win. Such a fluke if they do but none the less I hope they pull it out. :cheer2: It is suppose to storm tonight so that could make a difference. Oh well, please keep your fingers crossed.

I hope they do great!

My plan is to make Jamie Oliver's crispy garlic chicken with a cheesy potato casserole (found one that didn't take cream soup!).

Hey y'all, I have arancini & ONE lamb chop left over! I think I'll just roast some veggies & give Bob the lamb chop!

Nancy My all time favorite sandwich is Tomato,salt and a little mayo.

I am glad Irene is over and no one here had too much damage.

Princess Your pictures make me really want to visit. I will have to live through your pictures for a while though.

I am thinking I need to start living on salads for a while.:santa::rolleyes1

Someone was following me around in the mirrors lately. They had the nerve to stand in front of me in the mirrors making me think I was getting fat.;)

Janice, Down here, white bread, mayo, salt & creole tomatoes, make a sandwich that is a summer staple.

I am jealous of your figs! When I was a kid, fig trees used to grow in every other yard. We always had figs & I love them. These days you rarely see fig trees & I can't tell you the last time I had fresh figs.

I have had a very similar problem with my mirrors!!!!

When I get up in the morning, I pass by the mirror. Then I wonder who in the heck is that OLD FAT WOMAN wearing my nightgown?!! ;);)

Sheryl ~ OMG thanks so much for the Avacado soup. I am going to the grocery tonight to get the ingrediends. That is going to be dinner tomorrow night. YUM!!!!

WFDT ~ BLT with avacado, pasta salad, and sweet potato fries.

Make it a great day everyone!!

I sure hope y'all like the soup! It's one of our favorites!:goodvibes

Good luck to Doug's team!!:wizard: Hope the weather doesn't give them trouble!

We didn't get much damage from Irene. I have a power line down in my front yard (it's not the power to my house though), and some downed tree branches but that is all. Laura is also fine, with no damage to her house.

Lindsay, happy birthday!

Sheryl, those arancini look delicious.

WFD: either sausage and pepper subs, or corn chowder with tomato sandwiches.

Becky (& Laura), So very happy that y'all came through the storm without damage!! Very good news!!!

Thanks Becky for the compliment! The arancini were not as pretty as your's! My oil was too hot, but they still tasted very yummy! Once again, I thank you for the inspiration to cook fancy food!!! :worship:

Princess, Very nice pics!!! :goodvibes

Lindsay, Hope you had a great birthday!!

Sheryl I am sorry you are be visited by the a similar fat saggy mirror hog.:lmao: I sure wish she would move over so the thin perky chick can have her time:rolleyes1

I just looked at A's history homework. If he doesn't ace this class I will wonder who he is. They have a map to do that the states are already drawn in and they just have to write in the names of the states and the capitals. He did this in middle school. :confused3 I am glad he has one class that he can relax in.

I have a mutiny lately. The tomatoes are awesome this year and no matter what I plan for dinner Buddy wants a tomato sandwich instead. he stuck some
sliced turkey on his sandwiches to stop my whining but yesterday I gave up. The boys all wanted tomato sandwiches and Erica insisted on grilled cheese and tomato. I give up, I will make sure there is enough sliced bread while tomatoes are in season :rotfl2:

Look at it this way, at least he's eating vegetables and ones that are good for his heart. :thumbsup2

Happy Birthday Lindsay.

Well school's did not open today. Although we did open registration back up it ended up being a lot less stress then years past because I did not have to worry about anything other than that. :yay:

Tomorrow just a few may not open, the electricity was still out as of 4pm for 12 of the school's in this county, 3 of which we have programs in.

Dinner tonight is whatever I can scrounge up. Can't wait till I can get back into the kitchen to really cook. Maybe in mid-September. :rolleyes1

Hey, all!

Hope your birthday was everything you wanted!

:hug: Sending good thoughts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, J got braces today. He is soooooo cute! :lmao: Not much pain so far...fingers crossed. He was also able to eat a sandwich for dinner, so I'm hopeful maybe it won't be too bad for him.

Also, UncleR took Tooter to the vet. For those of you that didn't see on FB, Tooter is a girl! :lovestruc Her eye is non-functional. The vet said we could take it out if we wanted to, but it's not bothering her so we're probably going to leave it alone. She's healthy otherwise, but needs to put on some weight. The vet says she's about 8 months old. She'll get fixed in a few weeks. I'm just so glad she's healthy. She's such a lover! :lovestruc

I had a long paperwork-filled day at work. Glad that's over. I'll spend my first day at my elementary school tomorrow.

We had italian subs for dinner. They were to. die. for!!!

Hope everyone had a good Monday! 4 more days till 3-day weekend!

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

My thoughts and prayers are with you, darlin'.

Today I am going to get my hair worked on and my caterpillars done. I always schedule it around my birthday to make it more fun. ;) I am making tacos for dinner tonight.

Good evening everyone. I've appreciated all your kind words for my pictures - really picked-me-up.

Lindsay - Happy Belated Birthday!! Sorry I missed it.

Nancy - if you DDiL ever comes to visit, I hope to see you too! I might have to get to like tomato sandwiches if your DH comes along. I like tomatoes....but not by itself in bread.

Janice - I think I've got the twin to your mirror!

Ellen - How did Doug and his team go?

Glynis - I hope that cake turns out okay for you.

Kat - :flower3: :hug: :grouphug:

Becky and Laura - Glad you're safe.

Marilyn - Hope things settle back to normal soon.

Sheryl - Hello! I didn't realise that my mirror was a triplet!

Jen - thanks for the update on Tooter. I'm not on FB so I was glad to read that aside from the eye, she's basically healthy and nothing a bit of fattening up wouldn't fix. I think that there are about 3 of us here that would be happy to send Tooter our mirrors...:rolleyes1

Tuesday today. WFDT was baked potatoes with the normal trimmings. DH cooked! :laughing:

Just a quick check in before breakfast. For somereason my internet went down sunday night but nothing else. The winds really picked up late afternoon, early evening and were steady at 50. We lost one small tree but that's it. I really can't believe it, we could here trees falling in the distance. Much of the area is without power, but somehow we lucked out and have it. There are pockets of damamge, but overall not bad. I'll be back later. Thanks again all for your thoughts.

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

My thoughts and prayers are with you, darlin'.

Today I am going to get my hair worked on and my caterpillars done. I always schedule it around my birthday to make it more fun. ;) I am making tacos for dinner tonight.

Ok, truthfully most of the time ya'll have me a bit confused, but this really has me scratching my head. :rotfl2: :confused3 Please tell me what having catepillars done means. ;)

Just a quick check in before breakfast. For somereason my internet went down sunday night but nothing else. The winds really picked up late afternoon, early evening and were steady at 50. We lost one small tree but that's it. I really can't believe it, we could here trees falling in the distance. Much of the area is without power, but somehow we lucked out and have it. There are pockets of damamge, but overall not bad. I'll be back later. Thanks again all for your thoughts.

Oh sweetie I am so thankful you are ok. I have been so worried. We really are a powerful force when we have to be.

Laura & Becky ~ Also so glad to hear you are all ok too. Prayers answered.

Kat ~ :hug:

Jen ~ glad to see Tooter is a girl and in pretty good shape. Nothing a lot of loving wont cure. She found the right house for that. She knew!!

It just wasn't meant to be - as the Guys lost last night. But Doug was thrilled that they were even in the playoffs. They got a respectable 2nd place and 1st place for their division. So all in all he was pretty stoked!! :woohoo:

I won't be around for the next 6 days as Doug and I are off for a little vacation. And of course we will be in Lincoln for the Nebraska - Tenn. football game on Saturday. We can't wait!! "GO BIG RED".

Tomorrow is the BIG day that Elizabeth & Jay hopefully find out what they are having. They have a 3D ultra sound scheduled this time, so they should be able to find out. I will pop in to let ya'll know if I have news.

WFDT ~ Sheryl's Chilled Avocado Soup with Blue Crab Salad, with a crusty baguette. I totally can't wait!!!

Make it a great day and play nice while I'm gone. I'll try to pop in, but I can't guarantee anything!! :rotfl2:

Morning! It's going to be another hot day here. We should start seeing leaves turn colors in the next couple of weeks, so I'll enjoy the hot while I have it!

Lindsay - Enjoy your day of pampering! (Ellen, caterpillars are eyebrows)

Robyn - Glad you didn't get much damage.

Becky - Glad you and Laura weathered the storm so well.

Sheryl - I've got one of those mirrors, too! I think we need to re-think the whole mirror concept!

Princess - Whatever you do, don't stop posting photos! You are amazing!!!

Ellen - Have a wonderful vacation! Congrats to Doug and his team! Second place is wonderful! I really hope you get to know the gender of the baby! I can't wait to hear all about it.

This morning, Timmy and I are going to the local dollar movie theater to see the new Winnie the Pooh movie. He's been so lonesome ever since school started, and I'm hoping that this will help him feel more like a big kid!

After school, my co-den leader and I are taking our Webelos scouts to the local natural history museum, and then I'll race home to make dinner (unless I can talk Katie into making her ham fried rice. Actually, that's sounding pretty good, right now!)

I hope you all have great days!

Good morning everyone!

Dinner last night was the sausage and pepper subs. I didn't bother to take a picture.

Lindsay enjoy your day of pampering!

Robin glad to hear that you made out OK. Lots of my coworkers don't have power, and have heard it might be a week before they get it back.

Ellen, sorry that your husband's team lost the golf game. Enjoy your vacation!

Aimee, let me know what you think of that chicken recipe. I have a chicken in to cook tomorrow and have not decided what to do with it yet.

WFD: I am torn between polenta topped with tomatoes or a swiss chard tart with a salad. We will see how ambitious I am feeling when I get home.

Hey y'all,

I didn't realize we had a bad mirror epidemic! :laughing:

Robin, I'm happy that you were spared damage & have power! :)

Ellen, Have fun!

Jen, Glad that J isn't hurting! Also glad the kitty is healthy, but sad about her eye.

We have a huge marsh fire out in New Orleans East. Sunday it the haze & smoke blew over the south shore. It was better yesterday, but it's back today & it's awful! I'm having trouble breathing & it really worries me about the kids! I sure hope the schools keep them inside for recess today. Really upset that I forgot to give Alexis her zyrtec this morning!

Don't know what's for dinner yet. I'm going to make a beef broth but don't know if I'll use something tonight or just freeze it. We'll see!

Oh, Jude started rolling over from his back to his tummy yesterday! ( He had rolled over from his tummy to his back a few times a couple of weeks ago & then just quit. ) :confused3 Well this morning I'm having trouble keeping him on his back to change the diaper.

Hello All!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I missed your Birthday Lindsay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope you ahve a good one and that your beauty day is awesome. And like Ellen I need to know what caterpillars are :confused3:rotfl:

Ellen- Sorry the guys lost but YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for the vacation! I am staying tuned to find out what our new baby is going to be :goodvibes

Sheryl- Try not to worry about Alexis today. I am sure she will be okay. I think your mirrror is going ot be back to normal not that you will be chasing a rolling rolly poly baby ;)

Robin- thank God you are okay! I was getting worried!

Glynis- Timmy must be lonesome, going from 4 friends to just Mommy is a shock but I bet he loves the attention he does not need to share!

Princess- You know I tag along on vacations :)
I won't make you eat tomatoe sandwiches but you might just love them. Nice summer fresh tomatoes on a soft white bread with mayo, salt and pepper. YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now you know the truth. I am jealous he can eat so many and I wear just one :headache:

Marilyn- you make me laugh! Buddy does get his veggies, he craves greens even when I am eating all those carb filled foods like a good Irish girl should ;)

Jen- Tooter is lucky she found you but those rescues bring so much with them. My 4 were barn cats and they were the best friends we could have. All I have left is Sassy now and she is still a peach of a cat............. cranky old lady that she is now.

Glad that j is adjusting to the braces!

Today is Kady's first day back to school :goodvibes:sad1::upsidedow When she gets home I am meeting Marisa. I am due for an upgrade on my phone so the kids decided it is time for me to get and I phone. We are going to choose one and Dan is supposed to teach me how to use it. I loved playing the games when I took Dan for his surgery so they think that means i will be a fast learner :rotfl2:

I also want to update you all on Deb. Gail left me a message that she has been relocated to Burlington to assist the Troopers there. Gail is not known for accurate messages but she said Debbie was replacing troopers who were evacuated. It makes no sense to me, but then there is no Softball in the Olympics and Chris does nto protect the President but those are her stories and she sticks to them :lmao: I think that Debbie is a Trooper who is supplementing the Troops already overwhelmed by the storm damage. Their families would have probably been among those to have been evacuated. I have left messages for Debbie but so far she has not been able to call.

Glad y'all fared okay!

It just wasn't meant to be - as the Guys lost last night. But Doug was thrilled that they were even in the playoffs. They got a respectable 2nd place and 1st place for their division. So all in all he was pretty stoked!! :woohoo:

Aw, man! I'm sorry they lost but glad they had a good time. Have a great time on your vacation!

Aimee, let me know what you think of that chicken recipe. I have a chicken in to cook tomorrow and have not decided what to do with it yet.

Well... it didn't work as well as I'd hoped. I decided to bake it instead of fry it so I followed his instructions and the breading just became mush instead of crispy. I finished it under the broiler a few min and what was left of the breading browned a little but it wasn't crispy. It did have good flavor, though, and I love thin chicken breasts. That all said, you could probably pull it off! Here's the recipe: http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chicken-recipes/crunchy-garlic-chicken

I was going to make Chicken Tikka Masala in the crockpot today - and even went to the Indian market yesterday to pick up stuff - but this morning was rushed and I realized you had to do a ton of prep before even putting it into the crockpot! I'm sorry, but when I use the crockpot it's usually to SAVE time. So, I'm adapting it when I get home. I may not even use the dang crockpot in the end! might as well just throw it on the stove to simmer awhile.

We're having naan and basmati rice with it. I also bought some popsicle molds and I want to make pistachio pops. Picked up pistachios yesterday, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter