• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The What's For Dinner Thread - March '11 (recipe index in OP)

Hi there, I am kind of new to this thread, I joined a couple of years back but didn't have much to say so I back away....well I am back and I am a new wife and would like to start making easy but yummy dinners (during the week) and then maybe some stuff that takes a bit more time to make but still yummy....the best part is I am going to the store today so I can get whatever...

He is what I am thinking..DH started a new job today and I wanted to reward him with some yummy dinner, and since I am off today I can do whatever...so what would you all suggest...(just FYI he does not like seafood)...thanks

Hi, welcome back!!!

What kind of food does your DH particularly like? I would say prepare one of his favorite meals. I have a couple of large blue plates, and whenever someone has a birthday, a new job, good grades, etc., they get to have the "blue plate special" at dinner time. It's just our little way of recognizing important milestones.

Ok, I think I have dinner figured out. We are either going to have a chicken, broccoli, quinoa casserole, or a buffalo chicken casserole. Whichever one we don't have tonight, we'll have tomorrow night. I'm going to let the kids make the final call when they get home from school.

We are going over to a neighbor's house tonight to watch a movie, so I'm going to make some Muddy Buddies (some people call it puppy chow), and pumpkin spice caramel corn to take over. Yum!!!

Lyndsay - That sounds really cold! We don't even get weather that cold here!

Becky - I love Indian food! But Fran is not so fond of it :sad2:

Glynis - What a wonderful celebration! And that A LOT of grandchildren and great grandchildren! I'd still be in bed and ordering take out for dinner!

Disneylover79 - I agree, make him something he really likes, I find sometimes I slave over something fancy and find out that hot roast beef sandwiches would have been a better choice.

Marisa - :rotfl2: at the bacon story!

Jen - I hope you're OK, I just saw on the news about a terrible chemical fire in a small town south of Dallas.

WFD? A turkey (or two), a standing rib roast, maybe some chicken cacciatore. :lmao: I'm just going to have to start cooking (better get out of bed :scratchin) I'm still tired from the weekend. The highlight was a fire side chat presentation with Carol Channing, who was just as lively and engaging as ever! Oh well time to get up and start cooking!

I'm hooooooooommmme!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I missed you!

I started quoting but it was clear that was going to take two full pages so I am going to try to remember on my own.

Can anyone give me a brief on the rules for posting here? Do I just list what we are having and the recipe, do I include pictures and a review after we try it?

Hi there! No rules. Hop in whenever you want and post whatever you want. LAtely I don't cook much so thank goodness that is not a rule :rotfl2:

I am Nancy, married to Buddy. I have three adult children, all who are married, one DGD Kady and two little adopted DGD's Nola and Rylee. Kadysmom is my DD.

Aimee Aimee Aimee.......................Resting you are not. :headache: I will just say that when I hurt my arm the Dr told me not to use it for a week. I told her I had no time for that and she said I could choose not to use my arm for a week and plan for that or I could pretend it would go away and then get stuck for 6 weeks with no preparation. Either way I was going to need to rest my arm. You are faced with the same choice young lady! Rest now for a short period of time and get well or continue to run like a madwoman (yes.................I said madwoman) and end up laid up for weeks. Either way you will get that rest but I would suggest that you do it sooner and on your own rather than later and with no say in the matter. :rolleyes1

I say this because I care....................REST!

Jen- glad that little Tooter is better, poor baby :sick:

Ellen- Poor Elizabeth :headache:hug: Marisa had that test and I was worried sick about her and the baby. I know that the tests seem excessive but as Marisa said they are worth it. :grouphug:

Disneylover- what does your DH like? My DH is a meat and potatoes guy so if I am feeling like I want to spoil him I make something with a good mashed potato and gravy.

Laura- I cannot think of a better role model for Caili to look up to than her Auntie Becky :cloud9: Or a nice compliment for Caili :goodvibes

PIO_ your pics are kind of like our Big E. They make me smile!

Thank you all for the well wishes for Donny. He feels fine but is frustrated at how long it is taking to get into the neurologist. I worry but try not to share that with him.

We had a nice time on our short vacation. WE really did not do much but that was the plan. We had great food for the most part and as Marisa said, we had a ball driving around with the top down on our sporty little car. :woohoo: It was Bike Week and that was fun as well. I must say there is something not right seeing a great big ol' Harley growling down the street tugging a litte trailer with stuff :laughing: Most of the bikers were like us......needing the creature comforts ;) There was a member of the Patriot Guard in our parking garage. I wish he was with his bike, I very much wanted to shake his hand.

Dinner is up in the air. I spent the morning with Welby and the girls, my little Nola was having a "hard time" :sad1: overtired little Peanut. I will figure out what I want to cook after we get back from the smokehouse.

with all the snacking going on today, i am not sure i will make it to dinner tonight.....:goodvibes

WFD is wait for it...... Leftovers:lmao:. It seems I cook on the weekends and we eat leftover for part of the work week.

I almost forgot. I have a bunch of green tomatoes. Besides cutting them up and frying them what else can I do?

Good evening, friends!

Today was one of those - I (literally) ran from event to event today and got home much later than usual (around 4pm). Got home and realized I was really struggling to breathe. I run on adrenaline so much that it takes getting home/alone to realize how I really feel :laughing: I crashed on the couch and slept through an event I was supposed to be at tonight that I thankfully did not lead in anyway, so it was an okay one to miss. Whew.

DH went out of town at the last minute and won't be back until tomorrow so I'm on my own for dinner.

I hope you're feeling better today!

This doesn't sound like resting!

Jen that grown up beanie weenie sounds pretty good and. It sort of fits with my diet (that I have been thoroughly ignoring :rolleyes1).

Diet Shmiet. :teeth:

I hope you try them! They're delish!

Wow! I am definitely trying this one! Oh by the way, apologies to you, my dear. It wasn't until a few days ago that I realized you are Uncle Remus's wife. I'm not sure how I missed that. I'm friends with you guys on Facebook, but for some reason I didn't put 2+2 together with your screenname. :confused3 My excuse is I usually read this thread at the butt crack of dawn and my coffee hasn't kicked in well, yet. Anyway, howdy, friend! :wave2:

Howdy back!

Yes, Uncle Remus is my lovely wife. :goodvibes And she's nonfunctional before coffee too, so y'all have something in common. :lmao:

Hi, everyone! Sorry I didn't get on this weekend. It was jam packed with family!

The birthday party, Friday night, was fabulous!

Glad you guys had a good time.

In my family on my father's side, I have 84 first cousins! My dad is one of 23! :scared1:

WFD: Laura and I made a batch of clam chowder yesterday, so I am just going to reheat that and heat up a baguette to go with it.

Sounds delicious!

And I love Indian food!

Thanks for all the well wishes....

Going to the parks now...

Have fun!

Hi there, I am kind of new to this thread, I joined a couple of years back but didn't have much to say so I back away....well I am back and I am a new wife and would like to start making easy but yummy dinners (during the week) and then maybe some stuff that takes a bit more time to make but still yummy....the best part is I am going to the store today so I can get whatever...

He is what I am thinking..DH started a new job today and I wanted to reward him with some yummy dinner, and since I am off today I can do whatever...so what would you all suggest...(just FYI he does not like seafood)...thanks

:wave:

And good luck to your DH on the new job.

Hope you figured out something good to have!

Jen: Happy anniversary! Sorry I missed it!

You didn't miss it! It was Brandi's anniversary, not mine! :teeth:

:hug: to you AND your DH. And I wish I could make Indian food too.

Jen ~ Thank you so much!! We all loved your Lo Mein. So easy and good.
Next I want to try your Strawberry Cake - that looks so yummy!!

The weekend was a bit of a mixed bag. We throughly enjoyed Ethan!! But I felt we had so much going on that we didn't get the one-on-one time I was wanting. Oh well he had a great time and that is all that matters.

Doug and his Dad got our new Living room window in on Saturday - Oh how I love it. And the Auction went without a hitch yesterday. It was so much fun and we made some GREAT money but I am SO glad it is over.

I have to go into Omaha tomorrow for a Dr. Appt. so I won't be on, but I do know we are going out for Steaks for Dinner, as we will stop back through in Lincoln and we are taking Matthew out for dinner. I can't wait. :cool1:

WFDT ~ Lemon and Shrimp Pasta, green salad with garlic bread.

Make it a great day everyone - I will talk to you all on Wednesday.

Glad you liked the lo mein. And please do try the strawberry cake. It is our new favorite dessert. We finished it in 2 days. :rolleyes1

Glad your weekend went well, including the auction.

And good luck tomorrow.

Jen - I hope you're OK, I just saw on the news about a terrible chemical fire in a small town south of Dallas.

WFD? A turkey (or two), a standing rib roast, maybe some chicken cacciatore. :lmao: I'm just going to have to start cooking (better get out of bed :scratchin) I'm still tired from the weekend. The highlight was a fire side chat presentation with Carol Channing, who was just as lively and engaging as ever! Oh well time to get up and start cooking!

It's about 45 minutes to an hour from here. But, we can SEE the smoke. :scared1:

Aimee's closer than I am.

Ugh on the cooking. I know you have a lot to do.

And I absolutely love Carol! So jealous you were able to meet her!

I'm hooooooooommmme!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I missed you!

Dinner is up in the air. I spent the morning with Welby and the girls, my little Nola was having a "hard time" :sad1: overtired little Peanut. I will figure out what I want to cook after we get back from the smokehouse.

Welcome home! Now you have to recover from your vacation! :laughing:

with all the snacking going on today, i am not sure i will make it to dinner tonight.....:goodvibes

What a wonderful problem to have!

I almost forgot. I have a bunch of green tomatoes. Besides cutting them up and frying them what else can I do?

Send them to me! :cool1:

:lmao:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today was a big day.

J got his bottom braces and we had a meeting for him at school.

UncleR got a brand spankin' new computer.

I am currently in paperwork hell at work, and the programs we use to do our paperwork kept going down today. :headache:

Dinner was wonderful! I'll post about it in the next post.

Tomorrow I have to go for my dental cleaning. :headache:

I'm tired. :rotfl2:

:hug: for everyone!

Dinner tonight was ham steaks with chorizo hominy casserole, which was another recipe from the Homesick Texan.

317597_2370103941610_1520824968_32494219_567148868_s.jpg

Green chile hominy casserole with chorizo

Ingredients:

2 poblano chiles
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1/2 pound Mexican chorizo, removed from casing and crumbled
1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
2 jalapeños, seeds and stems removed, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 15-ounce cans of hominy, drained
8 ounces sour cream
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
2 teaspoons lime juice
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Salt and black pepper to taste

Method:

Roast the poblano chiles under the broiler until blackened, about 5 minutes per side. Place chiles in a paper sack or plastic food-storage bag, close it tight and let the chile steam for 20 minutes. Take the chile out of the bag and rub off the skin. Remove stem and seeds and cut dice chiles.

Preheat the oven to 350.

On medium-low heat, heat the vegetable oil and then cook the crumbled chorizo while occasionally stirring in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet until brown, about 8-10 minutes. With a slotted spatula, remove the chorizo and drain any excess grease from the skillet, leaving 1 teaspoon. Add to the skillet the diced onions and jalapeños while occasionally stirring, cook on medium-low heat until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 more seconds.

Remove the skillet from the heat and add the diced poblano chile, chorizo, hominy, sour cream, cumin, cayenne, cilantro, lime juice and half of the cheddar cheese. Stir until well combined, taste and add salt and black pepper and adjust seasonings. Top with remaining the cheddar cheese and bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until brown and bubbling.

Yield: 4-6 servings

*Here's my review: Hot damn this is good. That is all.

And I absolutely love Carol! So jealous you were able to meet her!

Well technically I didn't "meet" her. There was a meet and greet after the presentation, but because this was a fundraiser for her foundation to get Arts back in the Schools it cost to take a picture with her. The cost wasn't the deterrent, but the line was. Besides we were so tired. It was 9PM by the time the chat part ended and we had checked out of the Villa at 11AM. We still had to get the bags from the bellman, load up our scooters and drive another 25 minutes home. I didn't want to wait an hour or more in a mob type line.

However, we lined up so early (it was too hot to stay outside, so we just went into the convention center and lined up in the AC) and got front row seats. We could see her every expression and she was such a hoot!

So far I've made a turkey and ham and Prime Rib will be our dinner. It's cooked and I'll just give it about 10-15 minutes in a cooling 350 degree oven to warm it back up. I still have Chicken Cacciatore on the cooktop and two Lemon Thyme whole roasted chickens in the oven. Of course I will need to put this all away, but it's on the schedule for tomorrow to actually cut it up and start packaging for refreezing as sandwich meat. I have three more days of this :faint: But at least I scheduled it all out today. What I will cook, when it will start, about how long it will take, so I don't think I'm overwhelmed. I did have to throw out three of the chicken thighs intended for the Cacciatore. They didn't smell right, so I made 3 thighs and a breast cut into two thigh sized pieces.

Ugh the saga continues....As the spit turns.....:lmao:

Welcome! I'm sorry I wasn't here earlier to offer some dinner suggestions - what did you end up making him? Congrats to him on his new job!!

Dinner tonight was ham steaks with chorizo hominy casserole, which was another recipe from the Homesick Texan.

*Here's my review: Hot damn this is good. That is all.

AWESOME review. I need to try that one!!

So far I've made a turkey and ham and Prime Rib will be our dinner. It's cooked and I'll just give it about 10-15 minutes in a cooling 350 degree oven to warm it back up. I still have Chicken Cacciatore on the cooktop and two Lemon Thyme whole roasted chickens in the oven. Of course I will need to put this all away, but it's on the schedule for tomorrow to actually cut it up and start packaging for refreezing as sandwich meat. I have three more days of this :faint: But at least I scheduled it all out today. What I will cook, when it will start, about how long it will take, so I don't think I'm overwhelmed. I did have to throw out three of the chicken thighs intended for the Cacciatore. They didn't smell right, so I made 3 thighs and a breast cut into two thigh sized pieces.

Oh my heavens, I'm so sorry you had to come home and do all that cooking!! What a huge undertaking!

Y'all are cracking me up on the resting - I am, I promise! :laughing: I took 10 days off when I first got sick, I took Monday and Fri off last week, and skipped a Sun night event. Doctor says it's just going to take awhile.

For those that asked, his new ride is a Ford Edge. It's lovely and I hope he shares. We hope to get it Thurs or Fri. BofA is a PITA to use for auto loans, it seems.

Tonight I made homemade potato chips (never made them before!) and bacon cheeseburgers with bacon balsamic onion jam, which was DElicious!

I'll post the chips next.

DSCN5166.JPG

Homemade Potato Chips
5 Yukon Gold potatoes
Vegetable oil (for frying)
Kosher salt

Using a mandoline, thinly slice potatoes (just under 1/8" thick). Let soak in a bowl of warm water for 5 minutes. Drain. Pat potatoes until very dry.

Meanwhile, pour oil into a large pot to a depth of 1 1/2". Attach a deep-fry thermometer to side of pot; heat oil over medium heat to 320°. (I don't have a thermometer; I just wing it)

Working in batches of about 20 slices and returning oil to 320° after each batch, fry potatoes, stirring gently, until they are golden brown and oil stops sizzling, 3–4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer chips to paper towels to drain. Season each batch generously with salt.

*Make these into salt and vinegar chips by also sprinkling the chips with vinegar powder (1/4 tsp per batch of 20).

I have a recipe for green tomato relish that I used to make all of the time. It is delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let me know if you want me to dig it out!

In my family on my father's side, I have 84 first cousins! My dad is one of 23! :scared1:

J got his bottom braces and we had a meeting for him at school.

!

23????????????????? 84cousins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How is J's poor mouth today?

Well technically I didn't "meet" her. There was a meet and greet after the presentation, but because this was a fundraiser for her foundation to get Arts back in the Schools it cost to take a picture with her. The cost wasn't the deterrent, but the line was. Besides we were so tired.

I love Carol Channing! When I was 15 I went to a play at a our local dinner theater, it was my first and I was feeling quite grown up. Carol Channing in Once Upon a Mattress and I was :cloud9: She is wonderful!

Your cooking sounds like a love hate thing by now. I am so sorry that you are stuck with this!

Y'all are cracking me up on the resting - I am, I promise! :laughing: I took 10 days off when I first got sick, I took Monday and Fri off last week, and skipped a Sun night event. Doctor says it's just going to take awhile.

Okay..I'll stop but please do nto overdo.

Dinner was pizza. I called Welby to see what she was doing for dinner and she promptly put away her roast and agreed to "Delivery" as Nola put it when I asked her what she wanted for dinner. :lmao:

I am feeling lousy, please let me not be sick :sick: I have to unpack. This is the first time I ever neglect to unpack as soon as I get home :sad2:

Well technically I didn't "meet" her. There was a meet and greet after the presentation, but because this was a fundraiser for her foundation to get Arts back in the Schools it cost to take a picture with her. The cost wasn't the deterrent, but the line was. Besides we were so tired. It was 9PM by the time the chat part ended and we had checked out of the Villa at 11AM. We still had to get the bags from the bellman, load up our scooters and drive another 25 minutes home. I didn't want to wait an hour or more in a mob type line.

However, we lined up so early (it was too hot to stay outside, so we just went into the convention center and lined up in the AC) and got front row seats. We could see her every expression and she was such a hoot!

Oh, the cooking you are doing! :scared1:

We can help you eat it! ;)

Tonight I made homemade potato chips (never made them before!) and bacon cheeseburgers with bacon balsamic onion jam, which was DElicious!

I'll post the chips next.

Personally, I can't wait for the onion jam recipe tomorrow! :cool1:

How is J's poor mouth today?

He's on pain relievers and seemed to be okay. But, chewing is difficult. Poor guy. :guilty:

He's just so cute with braces, though! It's hard to keep from pinchin' his cheeks or something.:laughing:

I'm so far behind with everyone's news that I'm not even going to bother catching up. Apologies if I've missed anything important. :flower3:

I'm in the second week of my staycation and whilst the lack of paid work is great, I'm actually really tired from all the running around. Seems like a more activity than I had planned. One more week of 'R&R' and I return to the sedate pace of working! :laughing:

Hope you're all well.

This was from the weekend.....

I headed to the Vic Market and got some Chicken Involtini. My chicken shop uses chicken mince, breadcrumbs and about 4 or 5 more goodies to make the stuffing for the involtini. I don't have to do anything more than brown the skin a little....

2011October3ScavengerHuntFall006.jpg

...on all sides....

2011October3ScavengerHuntFall007.jpg

Pop it on a roasting tray...

2011October3ScavengerHuntFall008.jpg

....and wait 45 minutes.

2011October3ScavengerHuntFall009.jpg

Those of you that might remember....DH is vegetarian; so there is no way he is eating the chicken. So, I keep some cannelloni in the freezer for such moments and I make a small batch up to cook in the oven at the same time as the involtini.

2011October3ScavengerHuntFall010.jpg

The cannelloni does pull in double duty. I use the sauce as a 'sauce'.......and served the chicken involtini with a green side salad.

My dinner!

2011October3ScavengerHuntFall013.jpg

princess::upsidedow

Sago Pudding

This dessert is something that is rather popular in South East Asia. It does involve ingredients that are not commonly found in western pantries...but if you have a good Asian grocer, I highly recommend you try sourcing the sugar component of the dessert. It makes a great substitute for maple syrup and/or caramel.

My starting ingredients:

2011October3ScavengerHuntFall016.jpg

• Sago or Tapioca pearl, 1 Cup
  • Water, 4 - 5 Cups
  • Coconut milk, 1 small can
  • Gula Melaka or Melaccan Palm Sugar, 1 'cylinder' or block
  • Green food colouring, optional

In a large pot, place the water and the tapioco pearl to heat up. The Tapioco pearl is pretty much carbohydrate (not good for those on protein diets) and there will be plenty of starch released....

2011October3ScavengerHuntFall019.jpg

....you're going to end up with something that looks like Clag or homemade glue. Cook the tapioco pearl for 10 - 15 minutes, until most of the pearl is translucent or 'al dente' all the way through.

2011October3ScavengerHuntFall021.jpg

I added the food colouring at this stage....completely forgetting an important step!

I'd forgotten that I don't like too much starch in my pudding and that you're supposed to rinse the pearls in small batches under (cold) water....

2011October3ScavengerHuntFall025.jpg

....to remove some of the starch!

2011October3ScavengerHuntFall026.jpg

You don't have to colour the pearls but I wanted it to have an apple green tinge to it......for my serving bowls. Place the rinsed pearls into serving bowls (or a large dish) and allow to set in the refridgerator for at least 4 hours.

2011October3ScavengerHuntFall028.jpg

To make the Gula Melaka syrup....

My chinese grocer stocks two types of the Gula Melaka. The one I get comes in the compressed cylinders or blocks. The other type is just named Palm Sugar and looks like pebbles. It is also a lighter colour than the one I remember from my childhood. I haven't tried the lighter Palm Sugar, so I cannot recommend or not recommend it as an alternative product.
Gula Melaka is made from the sap collected from palm trees. It has a lovely rounded taste, much like caramel but with the unctuous flavour like maple syrup.

Place one cylinder or block of the Gula Melaka into a pot with 1/2 cup of water.

2011October3ScavengerHuntFall022.jpg

Cook until all the sugar has dissolved.

2011October3ScavengerHuntFall024.jpg

You'll end up with a syrup. Sieve the liquid to remove any palm husks (there won't be much).
It should have the consistency of maple syrup when completely cooled. It will be more runny when still hot. You can add a little more water to dilute it down a little or if too much liquid evaporated during the cooking process.

Just before serving, spoon a little coconut milk over the pearls and add some of the syrup.

Enjoy!

2011October3ScavengerHuntFall036.jpg

princess::upsidedow

Well dinner was Sanna, and I must tell you it was AWESOME..... Hopefully pictures will come soon,put dinner was amazing.......

Hey y'all, Dinner tonight was Chicken & Sausage Gumbo, potato salad, and brownies with peanut butter center.

It was all delicious! My daughter Angelina fixed it all & sent it over! We had had baby Jude all weekend, for DD & DSIL to have their 1st vacay since Jude was born.

I miss visiting with all of you! Neck & back has been hurting, taking care of the family is all I can manage. Had a neck injection today & will have back next week.

Hoping they work, I can't wait for F&W!

Hi Brandy! A belated Happy Anniversary! Keep enjoying F&W!:goodvibes

:grouphug:

Nancy If it is not too much trouble to find the relish I would like it. Take care of yourself. You have had a busy couple of months.:hug:

I think I have a cold. Mr A also is stuffy. I am still holding out hope that we do not have colds :rolleyes1.

We are having wonderful weather. It is going to be in the mid to high 70's through the weekend.:cool1::dance3:. This is my kind of fall. I am a warm weather kind of girl. I wish I could bottle this for January.

I think I will cook tonight something on the grill. Perhaps chicken and grilled veggies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter