• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The What's For Dinner Thread - March '11 (recipe index in OP)

I am posting in batches today because the DIS is running slow for me and I don't want to lose all my typing, haha! AND, good thing I remembered to copy this before I posted, because sure enough, I had timed out before I finished typing everything in!

Robin, the Indian market near me has the palm sugar in the hard cylinder form. I have bought palm sugar that is mostly dissolved into a syrup with just bits of the solid sugar in it at Whole Foods also. If you can't find it and need it pm me your address and I can mail you some.

Short ribs...I always braise them in liquid (red wine and beef stock) after browing them. John's favorite recipe is not online, but I can look it up and type it in for you this evening or tomorrow. I have not made any in a while since my oven has been broken since Christmas.

Allison, holy meat cooking! What are you going to do with all of that? Can you refreeze it now that it has been cooked?

Here is a photo of the clam chowder that Laura and I made on Sunday that became Monday's dinner. It was very briny:

6213552453_4e42673bb2.jpg

last night for dinner I made spicy turkey meatballs and marinara sauce with spaghetti. I adapted a recipe from Ina Garten's latest cookbook (Ina again!) to use the ingredients I had on hand. The meatballs were really excellent! Here is the recipe (this is my adapted recipe, the original is in the book "How Easy is That?")

Spicy Turkey Meatballs

1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs from a baguette, crusts removed
1/3 cup whole milk
1 lb ground turkey meat
6 ounces spicy turkey or chicken sausage (I used al fresco brand roasted garlic chicken sausage), casings removed, ground up or crumbled
1/2 cup grated sharp provolone cheese
1/3 cup minced parsely
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cracked black pepper
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 egg

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment paper.

Place the breadcrumbs and milk in a large bowl and pour the milk over. Let stand five minutes. Don't drain off the milk. Add all ingredients through black pepper and mix lightly. Beat the egg with the olive oil and pour over the turkey mix. Blend lightly but thoroughly. Shape into 2" balls and place on baking sheet.

Bake in preheated oven until lightly browned and cooked though, about 35 minutes.

At this point, I added them to my marinara sauce and let them steep for another 15 minutes over low heat.

This is the recipe for my go-to marinara sauce when I am serving spaghetti and meatballs:

Easy Marinara sauce:

One onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
3/4 cup water
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cracked black pepper

Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes.

Add all remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Immediately lower the heat, stir, cover and cook over low heat, partially covered, until the flavors have blended, about one hour.

Remove the bay leaf from the sauce and puree if you like a smooth sauce.

Here is a picture:

6213552385_0a2127c46a.jpg

Hi Ladies,

Wow I am gone for one day and I am 4 pages behind. Catching up with all of you won't happen today. So I am going to jump back in - I have scanned.

Nan ~ Welcome home my friend.

Aimee ~ Nice car for DH

Sheryl ~ It is so good to see you lady. We all understand and love it when you can drop in.

Glynis ~ prayers for Katie and you to Mom.

Kat ~ Where are you? I hope all is ok.

We got home about 11 last night after a VERY long day. That is a grueling drive - 3 1/2 hours one way. We were able to see Matthew for dinner so that made it so worth it. Plus when we said good bye we knew it was only for a few days as we are going in to Lincoln on Friday for the weekend. YEA!!

No date night tonight - heck we might not even make choir. It is supposed to rain starting tomorrow so we need to get the outside of the new window finished tonight. It looks so nice - I LOVE it!!

WFDT ~ White Chicken Chili in the crockpot and a loaf of sourdough bread.

Make it a great day everyone.

Ellen - Would you mind posting your chili recipe? We love white chicken chili, but haven't found THE recipe, yet. Every one we've tried seems to be missing something. Thanks!

Good afternoon everyone.

It has been so beautiful this week. Today is in the upper 70's and I am happy.:dance3:

Good thing I went by and had my muffler looked at yesterday and have an appt for saturday for it to get worked on. It definitely sounds like I am driving a hot rod:cool2:

I heard from Kathy she is ok and is just busy and dealing with some stuff. I prayer would help too so things ease up for her.

I plan on making a Chorizo chickpea soup for dinner. I need some spice to clean my head:thumbsup2

Tonight I swung by to get an estimate on some car repairs.:sick: I thankfully can do it in steps but I would rather not. I am not ready for monthly payments either.

Tonight is grilled chicken rice and fruit.

Oy. Good luck with that car.

Dinner from last night - delicious!!

DSCN5179.JPG

Bacon Burgers with Bacon Onion Balsamic Jam

I can't wait for this one. :banana:

this is just to let you know that we made it back from dinner, and OMG, that was a wonderful meal....

The Chefs tasting, wine dinner, was amazing, I will post picture later but whew...I may never make it out of this food coma....

Lucky lady! I'm so jealous!

We got home about 11 last night after a VERY long day. That is a grueling drive - 3 1/2 hours one way. We were able to see Matthew for dinner so that made it so worth it. Plus when we said good bye we knew it was only for a few days as we are going in to Lincoln on Friday for the weekend. YEA!!

No date night tonight - heck we might not even make choir. It is supposed to rain starting tomorrow so we need to get the outside of the new window finished tonight. It looks so nice - I LOVE it!!

Have a good night.

And I would love your chili recipe too!

Good afternoon everyone.

It has been so beautiful this week. Today is in the upper 70's and I am happy.:dance3:

Good thing I went by and had my muffler looked at yesterday and have an appt for saturday for it to get worked on. It definitely sounds like I am driving a hot rod:cool2:

I heard from Kathy she is ok and is just busy and dealing with some stuff. I prayer would help too so things ease up for her.

I plan on making a Chorizo chickpea soup for dinner. I need some spice to clean my head:thumbsup2

Vroom, vroom! ;)

And Kat...we're thinkin' of you! :hug:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, I popped a pain pill last night and was down for the count all day today too. I felt as if I were floating through therapy. My poor kids. :lmao:

I got in with the endodontist tomorrow. He's going to take a look and see if he can find what's wrong with this dang tooth. All I'm thinking about is dollar signs. *sigh*

Tonight's dinner was cashew chicken ala Aimee. It was yummy.

:hug: all around!

Jen- not many things worse than a toothache! :headache: I hope the Dr can find the problem!

Janice-I love engine noise. My first husband was a gearhead and his cars roared! My favorite car was my 67 GTO :woohoo:

Glynis- have you heard anything about Katie's play?

I miss Kat!

I am also jealous over that Flying Fish dinner

DInner tonight is honey dijon pork chops, mashed potatoes and gravy adn steamed green beans. Apple puffs from COstco for dessert.

BBL!

WFD- we are having sloppy joes and corn for dinner

DH brought home a new recipe card from publix so I might give that a try some time this week....I have another card that I need to use too, I will post them if they are worth anything...

Hope you all have a good night

Day 3 of the Meatapalooza continues.

My last turkey and Prime Rib are both cooling on the counter. I have to grill a half a dozen steaks soon. :faint: Thanks for all your support and well wishes.

Basically we are freezing all the meat in small packages so that we can make sandwiches out of it later or use it in casseroles.

Janice - Sorry about the car repairs :mad:

Aimee - Those Bacon Burgers sound awesome!

Brandi - I can't wait to hear all about the Flying Fish dinner. I'm sure it was wonderful!

Becky - All those recipes sound great. The chowder looks heavenly!

Jen - I hope you're feeling better

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WFD? I'm debating between the turkey that I took out of the oven and making gravy with the juices from the three turkeys that I have been combining for the last three days or one of the six steaks that I have to sear up. We've eaten beef all week, but I had a turkey club for lunch.

DSCN2976.jpg

Decisions, decisions.

Jen- not many things worse than a toothache! :headache: I hope the Dr can find the problem!

DInner tonight is honey dijon pork chops, mashed potatoes and gravy adn steamed green beans. Apple puffs from COstco for dessert.

BBL!

I'm going to have to look up what an apple puff is. :goodvibes

WFD- we are having sloppy joes and corn for dinner

DH brought home a new recipe card from publix so I might give that a try some time this week....I have another card that I need to use too, I will post them if they are worth anything...

Hope you all have a good night

There is nothing like a good sloppy joe.

WFD? I'm debating between the turkey that I took out of the oven and making gravy with the juices from the three turkeys that I have been combining for the last three days or one of the six steaks that I have to sear up. We've eaten beef all week, but I had a turkey club for lunch.

DSCN2976.jpg

Decisions, decisions.

I don't know about you, but I want one of those turkey clubs! :cloud9:

And your food pics are always so nice too! My problem is that I snap mine with my phone for ease, and they don't turn out as nice. I should start using my camera so I can have pretty pics too!

I'm glad you're almost done with your cooking Alison!

Aimee, the naan is very easy to make. The recipe is from Fine Cooking magazine (it seems like I get all my recipes from Fine Cooking and Ina Garten!). In the original recipe, the naan is stuffed with herbs and paneer, but I did not do that this time because the kids were going to be eating it and they don't like "green flecks" in their food (which is odd because they eat most vegetables!). I have made the herb stuffed naan before though, and it is very good. Here is the recipe:​

Awesome - thanks!

So, I popped a pain pill last night and was down for the count all day today too. I felt as if I were floating through therapy. My poor kids. :lmao:

I got in with the endodontist tomorrow. He's going to take a look and see if he can find what's wrong with this dang tooth. All I'm thinking about is dollar signs. *sigh*

Aw man, tooth pain is the WORST. That and ear pain are the worst pains I've endured I think. I hope you get some relief :hug:

Day 3 of the Meatapalooza continues.

Awesome! You deserve a meat queen title after this adventure!

I went out for Chick Fil A with a bunch of kids at church. Yum!​

Just flying in....WFDT is rice porridge or congee. DH wasn't feeling the best today and wanted some comfort food. Isn't it sad that a caucasian male chooses Asian comfort food??? :laughing:

I've cooked the pickled mustard as well....he specifically requested that dish. I also got a chicken breast that I'll poach and flake the meat off for DS and myself.

Have a nice day all.

PIO- Hope your husband is feeling better soon. I've been using cane sugar in my pad thai, to be honest I have a hard time adding sugar to dinner, so I use very little. My pad thai is good, but not great- would you mind posting your recipe.

Becky- Thanks for the offer to send the palm sugar, I think they have it at amazon though. Next time I order something I'll try to remember to add it on. I wonder if you could do short ribs in the crockpot after you brown them? I assume it would be the same as a low oven.

Fran- That is one tasty looking turkey club. Of course anything with bacon looks tasty!

Aimee- I think we will be having burgers soon! I've never followed a recipe for a burger but I think I might make an exception.

Last night we had Jamie Oliver's recipe for sizzling beef with black bean sauce. I was counting on the leftover for lunch but it was so tasty we ate it all. Tonight we are having spaghetti and meatballs- it's cold outside! Have a great day all.

Allison, that turkey club looks very appealing!

I hope everything is OK with Kathy.

Here is a photo of last night's dinner. I have never worked with duck eggs before. They cooked a lot quicker than chicken eggs do, so the yolks were a little more done that I usually prefer, but the flavor was good. After taking the picture I chopped everything up like a cobb salad.

6217157144_74307cc32e.jpg

WFD: meatballs subs using up the last of the meatballs and marinara from the other evening.

Kathy is doing ok and should be back in a couple of days. She is trying to handle a some stuff.

Dinner last night was Jiko and we had an amazing time there also, we had several apps and skipped the main course, we were just not that hungry and want to try several things..

Dinner tonight is my first visit to Yachtsman

Hey y'all,

Checked back a couple of pages, NOW I'm HUNGRY!!!! :goodvibes

Thanks so much for all the well wishes! No matter how little I manage to get here, Y'all still manage to care!!! :love::grouphug::grouphug:

My neck feels a little better, plus I get that steroid high so I have energy! Might actually manage to pack for this trip! ;)

Plus I get to get my hair done today!!! :banana::worship: I have about 1 1/2 of gray showing, something I just don't do!! I know that will make me happy!

Have barely cooked anything this week. Been living off of Angelina's gumbo! I did roast a couple of small butternut squashes yesterday, I'll try to do soup or pasta tonight with it.

Kathy, :hug::hug::flower3:

Morning ladies. Busy week this week. Short staffed here at the office and in some of our programs so it's a little crazy. :scared1:

Trying to get lots done in the next week here as I will have no free time for the next three weekends. Next weekend I have Homecoming most of the day Saturday and a swim meet on Sunday. The following weekend I have a 1st birthday party on Saturday and an 8th birthday party on Sunday. The weekend after that is my youngest DN's first "winter" swim meet and maybe, depending on when she swims, a football game.

Not cooking much at all although I did make the Hot Cocoa Cookies with Marshmallows for the football teams pasta dinner.

Kathy is doing ok and should be back in a couple of days. She is trying to handle a some stuff.

We're thinking of you Kat! :hug:

Dinner last night was Jiko and we had an amazing time there also, we had several apps and skipped the main course, we were just not that hungry and want to try several things..

Dinner tonight is my first visit to Yachtsman

I'm expecting a full report with pictures upon your return. Please. :goodvibes

Plus I get to get my hair done today!!! :banana::worship: I have about 1 1/2 of gray showing, something I just don't do!! I know that will make me happy!

Have barely cooked anything this week. Been living off of Angelina's gumbo! I did roast a couple of small butternut squashes yesterday, I'll try to do soup or pasta tonight with it.

Kathy, :hug::hug::flower3:

Honey, that is not gray. That is your sparkle. ;)

Morning ladies. Busy week this week. Short staffed here at the office and in some of our programs so it's a little crazy. :scared1:

Trying to get lots done in the next week here as I will have no free time for the next three weekends. Next weekend I have Homecoming most of the day Saturday and a swim meet on Sunday. The following weekend I have a 1st birthday party on Saturday and an 8th birthday party on Sunday. The weekend after that is my youngest DN's first "winter" swim meet and maybe, depending on when she swims, a football game.

Not cooking much at all although I did make the Hot Cocoa Cookies with Marshmallows for the football teams pasta dinner.

Take some time to rest with all of the running! :hug:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

So, I went to the endodontist. Apparently, when they did the root canal, they bothered my sinus, as the tooth root goes directly into that sinus. :confused3 I'm on antibiotics to take care of that inflamation/infection and hopefully this will clear it up. I may have to go to an ENT to follow up, but here's the good news:

NO NEW ROOT CANAL!!! My tooth is okay and I get to keep it!

I took the rest of the day off and UncleR and I are going to take care of some things around the house that we need to take care of.

I am cooking today, though.

I'm making a Taste of Home recipe for minestrone soup. And I'm making another buttermilk pie for dessert. :teeth:

Y'all enjoy your Thursday!

Jude's still napping, so I have a few minutes!

Janice, I don't think Hot Rod Mama is what you were going for?!!;) Hoping for cheap, cheap on the fix!

Jen, Really hope you're able to stop the pain in that tooth!!! :hug: I know how miserable that is!

Hi fran! That is one huge meat feast!!!! Can't believe you did all that in one day! I would have been so wiped out with just one of those! :thumbsup2

Brandy, I'm glad you enjoyed the FF dinner!! Can't wait for pics! We'll be doing a wine dinner there soon!!

Becky, You always make me drool with your indian food, & EGGS!!! I'm surprised you were able to buy duck eggs! That must be a rarity even in your market mecca?

Morning ladies,

Glynis ~ I will post my recipe in a bit. I hope you like it - we do!!

Janice ~ Thanks for the update on Kat. She really could use all of our prayers. I just got a text from her, so please lift her up.

Jen ~ So glad the tooth is going to be alright. Now hurry up antibotics and feel better.

alison ~ I love your club sandwich and WOW on the cooking. Bless your heart

Brandi ~ I am so glad you are having a good time. You are eating at all of my favorite places.

PIO ~ I sure hope DH feels better soon.

Sheryl ~ It is so good to see you around and feeling better. Of course we love you Lady.......you can't get rid of us. :rotfl2:

Merle ~ Wow, you are one busy woman. Don't rush around too much that you get sick. Take care!! Does your DM go with you to see your neices and nephews?

Love and hugs to all I am sure I have missed.:hug: :love:

Well the rain that has been forcasted for a week is here. We really do need it. The farmers have been running the combines 24/7 trying to get the corn and beans out and in the bins. They said on the radio this morning that the harvest is only about 45% finished. Wet corn is in but the dry corn is still standing. So even tho we needed the rain of course the farmers are not liking it one bit.

WFDT ~ We are having dinner with Marty & Stephanie at our favorite place for a burger and a beer. OH Life is good!!!!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter