• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The What's For Dinner Thread - October'11 (recipe index in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where and when? :banana:

South Hulen - http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/1...ion.html#storylink=omni_popular#ixzz1btosZNyi

:cool1:

Howdy, all! :hippie:

I'm enjoying my coffee just counting down the hours until we leave. I'm so excited I can't stand myself! :laughing:

Have a FABULOUS trip! I hope you're feeling better!!!

Lindsay, Not sure if you all like fish but lox and bagels would be nice. Also, you can do a crockpot of kicked up oatmeal or a yogurt and fixings option. If I come up with anything else, I will let you know. Have a good trip.

ETA: Individual fruit, yogurt and granola parfaits would be nice. You could make them in really pretty glasses.

This looks yummy:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Sausage-and-Potato-Breakfast-Casserole-4387

Oooh, the oatmeal bar sounds tasty and warm for an early Thanksgiving morning :thumbsup2

Good morning y'all. We're going on a shopping day down in Waco today. We're going to Sam's so that means that I get free samples for lunch. :lovestruc :lmao:

Tonight's dinner is Church's Chicken. UncleR loves it, and it was her pick. :banana:

Hope everyone has a great weekend! :hug: all around. Miss you Nan!!!

Hope y'all enjoy your day! You do know it's Baylor homecoming and Waco is bursting at the seams today, right? I think half my friends made the trek today! :laughing:

Lindsay You can alway make sausage and gravy with some biscuits for him or have small ham sammies.

Another great idea - I'm totally a sucker for biscuits and gravy.

I've been informed there is some big game on tonight so my dad is coming over to watch it with DH on our gigantic TV. Really all that means to me is that I get to make a bunch of fun appetizers for us to have for dinner :laughing: Not sure yet what I'm making - I'm attempting to use up some random things in the freezer in the process.

Dad is used to be my guinea pig for new recipes so I'll probably try a bunch of new things.

Hi y'all!!

I've missed everyone!! I can't promise to keep up, but I hope it's okay if I pop in now & then.

We had a FANTASTIC F&W vacation!! Ate a lot of great food, drank good booze & hung out with some wonderful friends!! The weather was perfect too. I don't know if Kathy talked about it, but the dining events we booked were all really exceptional this year. The real stand outs, The Truffle Lunch at Tutto Italia & the French Lunch at the Bistro. I don't think vacation can get any better than that one.

I'll be hosting Thanksgiving, so that's been on my mind. I don't think I'll get to try anything new or exciting. When I do try usually only Bob & I eat it! The usual menu is:

Cheese Tray- SisIL Chris

Salad- Me, I do think I'll give the family a fit but will do Spinach, feta, pecan salad with Raspberry vinaigrette

Turkey & cornbread/sausage stuffing- My Mom insists on cooking it.

Cranberry-Pear Sauce - Me

Sweet Potato topped with marshmallows- my DD Angelina

Gumbo- Me, don't know if I'll do seafood or chicken this year

Beef Pot Roast- Me, my brother begs for this every year

Roasted Asparagus - Me

Rice & Assorted pies & desserts

South Hulen - http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/1...ion.html#storylink=omni_popular#ixzz1btosZNyi

Hope y'all enjoy your day! You do know it's Baylor homecoming and Waco is bursting at the seams today, right? I think half my friends made the trek today! :laughing:

Thanks for the link!!! :cool1:

And yes, we found all of the homecoming folks. :scared1: I'm so glad we made it home. :lmao: Waco was jumpin'!

I'll be hosting Thanksgiving, so that's been on my mind. I don't think I'll get to try anything new or exciting. When I do try usually only Bob & I eat it! The usual menu is:

Cheese Tray- SisIL Chris

Salad- Me, I do think I'll give the family a fit but will do Spinach, feta, pecan salad with Raspberry vinaigrette

Roasted Asparagus - Me

Your menu looks delicious!!! :lovestruc

~~~~~~~~~~~~

We are back. And we survived. Like Amy said, it was Waco/Baylor Homecoming and Waco was packed! :scared1: I'm not sure why everyone was at Sam's and at the grocery store, though. :confused3

We toured Sam's like we were champions. :laughing: And we spent way too much money, but we're set on essentials and holiday food for the next several months. I hope!

We got some dates, which I'm excited about. We also found some truly awful Texas Christmas plates at the grocery store, which UncleR insisted we get. I'll post pictures of those later, for those of you that aren't on FB. :lmao:

We picked up Church's chicken for dinner for everyone but me. Instead, I got sushi for me at the sushi bar at the grocery store. :love:

Tonight we're going to watch movies and chill. Same tomorrow. I hope everyone has a great rest of their weekends.

We had a FANTASTIC F&W vacation!! Ate a lot of great food, drank good booze & hung out with some wonderful friends!! The weather was perfect too. I don't know if Kathy talked about it, but the dining events we booked were all really exceptional this year. The real stand outs, The Truffle Lunch at Tutto Italia & the French Lunch at the Bistro. I don't think vacation can get any better than that one.

When will we get a trip report with pics? I'm anxious to see all that fab food!!! So glad you had such a great trip.

Jen, glad you survived!

I changed directions completely and decided to go simple and do just a meal tonight instead of a bunch of apps. I'm making that chile hominy casserole thing, by Homesick Texan that Jen recommended, and a grilled pork tenderloin. And a skillet peach cobbler with vanilla ice cream for dessert.

Jen, glad you survived!

I changed directions completely and decided to go simple and do just a meal tonight instead of a bunch of apps. I'm making that chile hominy casserole thing, by Homesick Texan that Jen recommended, and a grilled pork tenderloin. And a skillet peach cobbler with vanilla ice cream for dessert.

Oooooh! We love the hominy casserole! Enjoy it!

WFD is Pizza delivered.

We cleaned up the yard and picked up some of the leaves. My tree is still 99% full. It should be dropping them soon. My arms are soo tired I hope I can dial the phone for delivery:rotfl:

Good morning!

Lindsay You can alway make sausage and gravy with some biscuits for him or have small ham sammies.

Last nights dinner was soo good I will have to post the recipe.

Not sure yet about tonight.

Have a good day

I had Biscuits, gravy, BACON, and eggs for breakfast this morning..... I had to fill us up to go the game...

Dinner tonight is Creamy tomato soup and grilled cheese...:rolleyes1

I've been informed there is some big game on tonight so my dad is coming over to watch it with DH on our gigantic TV. Really all that means to me is that I get to make a bunch of fun appetizers for us to have for dinner :laughing: Not sure yet what I'm making - I'm attempting to use up some random things in the freezer in the process.

The "National Championship" game is on tonight.... I sure hope my team wins.....Roll Tide Roll

Hi y'all!!

I've missed everyone!! I can't promise to keep up, but I hope it's okay if I pop in now & then.

Cheese Tray- SisIL Chris

Roasted Asparagus - Me

This looks great....:yay:

When will we get a trip report with pics? I'm anxious to see all that fab food!!! So glad you had such a great trip.

Jen, glad you survived!

Oooooh! We love the hominy casserole! Enjoy it!

What is this? Inquiring minds would love to know...

I've posted the recipe here before with pics, but here's a link to the blog...

http://homesicktexan.blogspot.com/2010/10/hominy-casserole-green-chile-recipe.html

Sooooo good.

Plus, the Homesick Texan is fabulous. I just got her cookbook and :lovestruc

I could so eat that... my DH just does not like corn, for him it is just on the COB or nothing...

While I was there I saw her write up on the Carnitas....Has anyone tried it?

I have been hankering for pork Carnitas for awhile....

Hi Everyone!

We're still hanging in there...crazy day but I'm surviving! Tonight for dinner we're having homemade burgers. I haven't had one commercially prepared or otherwise since this whole ordeal started.

Hi Everyone!

We're still hanging in there...crazy day but I'm surviving! Tonight for dinner we're having homemade burgers. I haven't had one commercially prepared or otherwise since this whole ordeal started.

Hang in there.....:grouphug:

Hi! Turning out to be a crazy weekend for me. Lots of pics to share...when I get round to loading them.

Thai-style Tuna Puffs

I made these as a snack for a family function. They are really simple to make and everyone loved them!

My starting ingredients:

2011November05Confirmation014.jpg

• Tuna in springwater or brine, 1 x 425 g tin - drained
  • Puff pastry, 3 - 4 sheets
  • Onion, 1 medium - finely diced
  • Chilli, diced - to taste
  • String beans, 15 - sliced
  • Kaffir lime leaves, 12 - finely sliced (If you don't have kaffir lime leaves, substitute with Thai basil and/or coriander)
  • Lime - juice of 1/2
  • Oil, 1/2 tablespoon
  • Garlic and Ginger
  • Salt and Pepper
  • Egg, 1 - for glazing

In a pan, fry the garlic, ginger and onion with the oil for about 1 - 2 minutes.

2011November05Confirmation015.jpg

Add the beans and toss for another minute.

2011November05Confirmation017.jpg

Turn the heat to low and add the chilli, kaffir lime leaves...

2011November05Confirmation018.jpg

...and the drained tuna. Squeeze the lime over the tuna.

2011November05Confirmation019.jpg

Mix well and heat for about 1 - 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool a little. Taste the mix and add salt and pepper or more lime juice as required.

2011November05Confirmation020.jpg

I use ready made puff pastry. I can just about manage making shortcrust pastry...but puff is something that usually goes poof on me whenever I've tried. So, I don't bother...and just get it from the supermarket.

Prepare the pastry as per instructions. Mine says to remove from freezer and thaw on bench top for 3 - 5 minutes.

Pre-heat oven as per pastry instructions. My fan forced oven was to be pre-heated to 210 C i.e., hot!

When thawed, I cut my pastry square in 1/8ths.

2011November05Confirmation021.jpg

Place some of the tuna mix into the middle of the each 1/8th.

2011November05Confirmation023.jpg

(NOTE: The above picture shows tuna mix in all 8 slices. This is purely for photography reasons. I normally work on one slice at a time.)

Crimp the edges together. I use a fork; and just crimp and edge at a time. Whilst I'm doing this, I check that there is sufficient tuna mix in each slice. If not, I add a little more when I have only one side left open.

2011November05Confirmation027.jpg

Place the tuna puffs on a baking tray and brush some beaten egg over the tops.

2011November05Confirmation026.jpg

Cook in the hot oven for 20 minutes or as per pastry instructions.

2011November05Confirmation028.jpg

My tuna puffs!

2011November05Confirmation030.jpg

Cool on a rack and serve either hot or cold.

2011November05Confirmation066.jpg

princess::upsidedow

While I was there I saw her write up on the Carnitas....Has anyone tried it?

I have been hankering for pork Carnitas for awhile....

I plan to - soon!

Hi Everyone!

How is she feeling? Making much progress?

Thai-style Tuna Puffs

Oooh, those look tasty!!

I'm behind on blogging recipes - I made these a few nights ago and they were DELISH. From our new fave blogger, The Homesick Texan. Truly restaurant quality cheese enchiladas - Tex Mex style. So good.

DSCN5486.JPG

Chili Gravy
1/4 cup lard or vegetable oil
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt - I would cut way back, to maybe 1/4 teaspoon
1 teaspoon powdered garlic
2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
2 tablespoons chili power
2 cups beef broth, chicken broth or water (I used beef broth)

Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in the flour and continue stirring for 3 to 4 minutes, or until it makes a light brown roux.

Add the black pepper, salt, powdered garlic, ground cumin, dried oregano and chili powder and continue to cook for 1 minute, constantly stirring and blending ingredients. Add broth or water, mixing and stirring until the sauce thickens. Turn heat to low and let sauce simmer for 15 minutes. Add water to adjust the thickness.

Cheese Enchiladas
1/2 cup vegetable oil
8 corn tortillas
3 cups shredded cheddar cheese (can make it with Velveeta for extra melting oomph and good ol' Tex-Mex authenticity)
1 medium onion, diced
2 cups chili gravy (recipe above)

Preheat the oven to 450 and grease a large baking dish.

Pour the oil in a small skillet, and heat the tortillas one at a time. Keep them wrapped in a cloth until all 8 are heated. (I just wrap mine in a cloth towel and microwave to soften them)

Pour 1/2 cup of chili gravy in a baking pan.

Take a tortilla, put 1/4 cup of cheese and 1 tablespoon of onion in the center and roll it. Place rolled tortilla in baking dish, seam side down.

Continue with remaining tortillas.

Take remaining chili gravy, and pour it over the rolled tortillas. Sprinkle remaining cheese and onions on top. Bake for 10 minutes or until sauce is bubbly and cheese is melted.

I'm behind on blogging recipes - I made these a few nights ago and they were DELISH. From our new fave blogger, The Homesick Texan. Truly restaurant quality cheese enchiladas - Tex Mex style. So good.

DSCN5486.JPG

My mouth is watering right now...these sound wonderful!

Well, this is a use up what we have week (due to buying Christmas tickets, we're cash poor till next payday). Some meals may seem incomplete or odd, but that's just what we have.

Sat: Salmon cakes and peas (they were DELICIOUS!) I used the America's test kitchen recipe, and it uses raw salmon rather than canned. Best salmon cakes I ever had.

Sun: Ginger Chicken stir fry with bok choy and peppers, rice

Mon: Cheeseburgers and apple slices

Tues: Brats, beans, and potatoes

Wed: leftovers

Thurs: Spagetti

Fri: We'll hit the store

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter