The Wheels Finally Come Off! Trip 3 in JUNE 2014!

We are tentatively planning an April 2013 trip....WOO HOO! I already reserved a Kids Suite at HoJo, but it's still not definite. Keeping my fingers crossed we can make this work! Just re-reading my TR makes me long to go again NOW!

We are tentatively planning an April 2013 trip....WOO HOO! I already reserved a Kids Suite at HoJo, but it's still not definite. Keeping my fingers crossed we can make this work! Just re-reading my TR makes me long to go again NOW!

Oh you have to go see Cars Land!!! DS and his little family just got there today - can't wait to hear about it!:cheer2:

Love your TR! My DD will be a wee bit older than your oldest when we first go but it's great to see her reaction to stuff as I think my DD may be similar in a lot of respects! Definitely will be watching sales on the princess dresses. :thumbsup2

I think we may go, and i'm betting DDs will love the Carsland cars. Still not 100% sure, but we got a Kids' Suite @ HoJo so I'm thinking we are leaning toward it.

Tammie: how did your DS like it?

Pesky: we lucked out as the Disney store had a summer clearance so I got the dresses for like $6! Plus this time DD3 will be old enough for BBB! Hope have a great time.

Thanks for reading along! I haven't posted much since our April trip isn't 100% confirmed yet. I hope to add more soon.

PTR for April 2013 begins now!

First, a list of foods I missed this last trip that I definitely hope to get to this time:
- Bengal skewers
- Fried chicken at Plaza Inn
- Loaded Potato soup at Carnation Cafe
- Monte Cristo (preferably from Blue Bayou for the ambience!)
- Beignets from Cafe Orleans

The rides/attractions we didn't get to that I hope to hit this time:
- Monorail
- Toy Story Midway Mania
- Screamin' (closed for rehab during our last trip)
- Pirates of the Caribbean (also closed for rehab then)
- Splash Mountain
- Mark Twain Riverboat
- Jungle Cruise
- Redwood Creek Challenge Trail
- Grizzly River Run (only if it's hot!)
- Monsters Inc
- Radiator Springs Racers
- Luigi's Flying Tires

Rides I hope DD6 wil join me on now:
- Big Thunder Mountain RR
- Matterhorn (but she may still resist dark rides)

Shows we didn't catch last time:
- Muppets show (saw the list somewhere but don't remember anyone mentioning it before)
- It's Tough to be a Bug

Things I want to do this time:
- Get the girls' silhouettes on Main Street
- Collect all the pressed pennies
- Walk around Downtown Disney

That's a pretty full list! I've got to figure out which rides that we've already done should be on the priority list to try and do as well, but that's a post for another day.

Inspired by this thread about what DISboarders do differently on their second trip, I'm starting to think of how I will approach this trip.

- I want to focus on the character experiences. Sure, we got autographs and photos on our first trip, but my DDs were shy and didn't talk much. So it felt like I was just forcing them to pose and then we'd move on. I want to think about props (e.g., stuffed Gus and Jaq for Cinderella meeting!) or easy questions I can share with DDs to prompt a conversation. I hope to do the Minnie and Friends Plaza Inn breakfast this trip.

- We didn't shop at all on our first trip. I never took them to Downtown Disney or any of the Main Street stores. I was trying to avoid having to say no to buying souvenirs, but maybe I can set a budget and let them browse more.

- DD6 is still a little sensitive, so I think we have to skip Fantasmic again (one of these days!) and I don't think she'll like POTC or Blue Bayou. But she's not as scared of the dark as she used to be so I'd love to take her on dark rides like the Little Mermaid ride (I'd still skip Snow White and Pinocchio). DD3 isn't as sensitive so I'm sure she'll happily go.

I decided I needed a whole separate post re: food this next trip, as my entire family LOVES to eat so this will be fun (my 3 and 6 year olds eat like adults!). I am so glad to have stumbled on the www.disneyfoodblog.com because the photos and descriptions are amazing!

- I definitely want to try the Monte Cristo and Pommes Frites at Cafe Orleans this time! While Cafe Orleans also has beignets, I hear the beignets are awesome at Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen, so maybe we need to do a "beignet-off" to compare!

- I'd like to get the fried chicken at Carnation Cafe (DH and I love fried chicken!).

- DH and the girls each definitely have a sweet tooth, so I think we'll have to stop by the Jolly Holiday bakery. Matterhorn macaroons look good (we love macaroons), as do all the other treats. Wow, talk about gaining weight by just looking at the photos!

- We missed the churros last trip, but now I see there are churro bites with CHOCOLATE dipping sauce at the Cozy Cone Hotel. DH and the girls are going to be all over that!

- We also missed Bengal BBQ last trip, as we were starving and it looked "far" away when we were standing in front of Big Thunder Ranch with its buffet option. I definitely want to try the bacon-wrapped asparagus skewer.

- Snacks from our first that we really liked and hope to get again include the hot link corn dog from Corn Dog Castle, the Dole Whip Float (yummy!), and the Mickey Mouse ice cream bars (though I guess my DDs would want popcorn again, too!).

I keep reading all the rave reviews for DVC points rental but I looked up a 1 bedroom suite at GCV during our April time period and it's 39 points/night, which would be about $400 (assuming I could get $10/point and a reservation then). Yikes. I think a $200/night difference is too rich for my blood. When DD3 drops her nap and we can just get a studio, then the $100 difference between a standard off-site room and the $200/night GCV studio would be easier for me to take. But boy, do those photos of the rooms make me wistful!

I found a great thread on the WDW side about tips from CMs and it's 79 pages! I thought I'd keep a running tab here of the best tips that I want to remember.

- when there are 2 lines, go left! It's almost always shorter.
- if there are multiple lines at an ice cream stand, observe which CM is giving bigger scoops and get in that line.
- if a ride is down, look for custodial staff or mgmt (wearing suits and name tags) to ask for updates as they have radios.
- eat early lunch at counter-service places (like 11 am right when they open) as food is freshest and lines are shortest and consider "off-time" res for table service like 3 or 4 (when it's hottest and most crowded). Then can grab "dinner" while waiting for a show and eat while you're saving a spot for the show.

We're now less than 60 days out! Woo-Hoo! I've made dining reservations for dinner Goofy's Kitchen the first night we arrive and then breakfast at the Plaza Inn with Minnie and Friends on Friday morning. We get Magic Morning on Saturday morning so I don't want to do Minnie's on that day (right?) since we'll already be fighting with the Early Magic Hours on-site guests that morning. This means that we will miss being at DCA at rope drop in the morning since we only have Thurs afternoon, Fri and Sat and both Fri and Sat will be at DL right now. I sure hope we can still get FP for RSR after breakfast with Minnie (when we'll be coming in well after on-site guests have already their Early Magic hour at DCA) or if I run over on Sat morning (though APs will have beaten me to the FP machines by an hour!).

Just as an easy reference for me, I'm putting the Early Admission options here.

1) APs have early access to DCA on Saturday and DLR on Sunday (it ends right after the weekend we are there)

2) On-site guests get Early Magic Hour at DL Tues/Thurs/Sat and DCA Mon/Wed/Fri/Sun.

3) Magic Morning (which we will have) is DL only on Tues/Thurs/Sat. We have to use our MM on Saturday as we arrive too late on Thursday and won't be there the following Tuesday.

OK, I think I'm changing our dining plans to:

Thursday: straight to DLR (not worth going to DCA when RSR FP will be out by 3:30). Dinner somewhere inside the park to maximize our time. Maybe Cafe Orleans?

Fri: DLR until DCA opens, then I'll head over to get FP for RSR. Minnie's breakfast at 10 am

Sat: Magic Morning at DLR and then a runner to get FP for RSR.

Sun: Breakfast at Goofy's and then go home.

I also need to remember to check in with the chef when we arrive at both buffets, since DD3 has peanut and fish allergies and DLR already wrote back and told me that they can prepare fresh food due to the risk of cross-contamination. He actually wrote, "I would recommend that your daughter not take any food from the buffet. Buffet foods can become cross contaminated. When she arrives at these restaurants, she should ask to meet with the Chef on Duty. The Chef will meet with her and go over meal options."

I'm rethinking whether to get 3 day PH or just 3 day 1-park passes. If I did the latter, we would do DL Thursday afternoon (4-9?), DCA on Friday (though on-site guests will have early magic hour access), and then DL on Sat (when we have MM access and fight with on-site EMH guests to get FL rides done before the hordes hit).

I definitely want to get pressed pennies, silhouettes of my girls, the BBB makeovers, etc. and other non E-ticket stuff that is in DL on Sat, when the crowds may be busy on rides. So I may try for the Fantasy Faire shows/M&G on Thursday afternoon, the day we arrive, which will presumably have lower crowds than on Sat. Then on Sat we do the less urgent/less crowded activities like BBB makeover, pressed pennies, etc.

Friday is my DCA day, but I have a Minnie's breakfast that day planned and we may just hop that day. Then again, Goofy's Sky School was DD6's favorite ride on our first visit. So who knows what will ultimately happen?

Well, my MO has always been to research everything so I can have a great grasp of my options (even come up with a tentative plan) and then go with the flow on the day-of. It worked well last time! :)

I'm sorry, I didn't catch when you were planning on going. I'm wondering if we'll be there at the same time. :)

I enjoyed your tr. We are hoping to extend a family trip to No. CA this summer to include a couple of days at dlr, so I was browsing for a family lens. I look forward to hearing about your April trip! What prompted me to make a comment (I am more of a lurker:) was your mention of the buffet and food allergies. We had a trip to wdw (our 2nd) in April. My odd (7) has multiple allergies... To dairy, eggs, chicken, turkey, sesame, beans, peanuts, and tree nuts. The only place she had a reaction was at a buffet. I have been mystified as to what caused it, as the chef prepared a special plate, BUT we did get a few things from the buffet.We have been so impressed with Disney's approach to allergies, but your post gave me another bit of information that may prevent more discomfort for my odd in the future, so thanks! In the end, I was also impressed by how kind the cm were when it happened, nothing life threatening, but could have been very embarrassing, and they managed to assure us everything was okay!

I'm sorry, I didn't catch when you were planning on going. I'm wondering if we'll be there at the same time. :)

Hi Riasha! I think we will be. We will be in the parks 2.5 days starting Thurs afternoon, April 11. We'll be there all day Friday and Saturday (with afternoon nap breaks for the girls and DH while I SR the big rides) and then we will have brunch at Goofy's Kitchen outside of the park and then drive home. I have a loose plan right now, but will see how the girls react to make day-of decisions.

Mainemama: Thanks for "de-lurking" and sharing your story! I'm glad to hear the CM were so understanding and helpful. I was actually a little worried they would think it's a big hassle to special cook stuff for our DD3. She didn't have diagnosed allergies when we went 2 years ago and pretty much lucked out (we had corndogs, Ariel's Grotto, and Big Thunder BBQ--no fish or peanuts at any of those locales, to my knowledge!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter