The WISH - The Good, The Bad And The Ugly (Review)

Empress Room

Mouseketeer
I was fortunate enough to sail on the Disney Wish on her maiden voyage. I have cruised on all four Disney ships (27 in total) and consider the Magic and Wonder to be the standard that Disney should have used as blueprints for each successor. The Dream failed a bit in that regard, as did the Fantasy (although it attempted to address some of the design oversights made on the Dream). The Wish, unfortunately, took several steps back.

First, I understand that its layout is completely different than its predecessors and takes some time to get used to (e.g. the Spa is on Deck 5 and not on the top deck Forward, the Adult pool and Quiet Cove are Aft, not forward, etc.). There is nothing inherently wrong about wanting to change things up a bit, but why? The layout and familiarity of the previous ships did not need to be altered, and one is left with the impression that the WISH, as gorgeous and technologically advanced as she is, appears to have been designed by a committee, none of whom communicated with one another. I spoke with one of the ship's designers. He said that the approach was to create all of the children's areas first and then address everything else, including adult spaces. It shows, and he surprisingly conceded to me that mistakes were made. Mistakes that may be too late to address in the next ship, as the outside structural design has already been confirmed. Many of the designs appear to be afterthoughts.

Second, there are some hits and plenty of misses, and I heard more than one person complain that "it's the adults that are paying for these cruises, why are we being shortchanged?" I couldn't agree more. The Aft Adult pool area is, frankly, a joke. Although it has a pretty infinite pool, it is entirely too small. Surrounded by two wet sitting areas, a couple of lounge chairs and a small bar, on a cruise that only had 2500 guests and not the typical 4000, it was impossible to find space in that pool, which only comfortably accommodates about 15 guests as it is. The Wish apparently has 10 "pools" (I put that in quotation marks because they all are only about 12 inches deep). Why not have less pools but make them actual pools. There is only one hot tub on the ship, it's an afterthought on a narrow hall leading to the adult area. That's it. Shade is almost non-existent on the Wish, except in the stiflingly hot food court area where no breezes pass, particularly at low speeds. The promenade deck, such as it is, sits between the fourth and fifth decks, and does not create a full circle around the ship. This bizarre layout eliminates any option to walk or jog around the deck. And locking gates are employed to prevent even that partial use during portions of the day.

But there are some real hits that could have been the backbone of the design had they been carried out throughout the ship. The Rose Bar is gorgeous, and serves as an introduction to Palo Steakhouse and En Chante (although guests must walk through the bar to get to either restaurant, causing constant traffic). Palo was fantastic. The Keg and Compass pub was also a design masterpiece and serves great fish and chips (although we are now seeing up charges for food in these specialty bars and spaces. The days of "all your food and soft drinks are included" in your fare are apparently over.) 1923 is a beautiful rotational dining room, as is Arendelle. The show in Arendelle was awesome. Worlds of Marvel was pretty meh, and failed in its attempt to be Animator's Palate 2.0. The food throughout all three dining rooms, Palo and the food court areas was outstanding and the shows and talent were up to Disney broadway standards (although technical issues affected The Little Mermaid, causing it to stop twice during the 6:00 p.m. performance). Luna appears to be a very cool, two-story trivia-based venue. All of these, if carried out, could have made the Wish a homerun.

What I was left with was the impression that the design was rushed and reconfigured after the (rumored) original design team quit about 1/3 of the way through the design to join Virgin Atlantic. Again, it shows. I was excited to see a dedicated piano bar a la Cadillac Lounge or Keys (Sessions) on the classic ships. Unfortunately, like so many spaces, it's just too small. And The Hyperspace Lounge was virtually inaccessible for the whole cruise for a majority of guests. You needed a reservation for a 45-minute visit. Ridiculous. There is vast space available for better use then the Cartier, Diamonds International and TagHuer stores that were empty almost all the time (while Mickey's Mainsail and Disney themed stores remain packed). For a 144,000 gross ton ship, larger than even the Fantasy and Dream, its use of space is atrocious could have been done much better. In short, I cannot wait to get on that 84,000 ton Wonder to Alaska for the Members' Cruise at the end of August. Real pools, real use of space and a real Adult area.

Thank you for the insights. we have b2b coming up Aug 8 and as long as we stay covid free, then these 2 WISH cruises likely are our last. We have next March booked, but we really want more than 4 days, so likely jumping to Fantasy 7 day.

While some reviews i can ignore, when there are common themes throughout which almost all reviewers are echoing, it does make me less interested in going on the Wish.

I remember when the Dream launched and a few negative things - the gates on conceirge (removed for Fantasy). More water areas (again added for Fantasy). The biggest and still issue most have with Dream/Fantasy is walking through the adults only area to get to the elevators. I have seen many many people complain about kids walking through. But in 6 cruises on those ships, i never had a kid stay or be a bother. They are just walking through. That's a design issue perhaps they tried to address.
And over crowding for Dlounge or the Tube - perhaps the open concept is meant to help with that too.

But the getting lost, lack of elevators, getting to floor 12 and 13 seem to be issues that can't be fixed on the next ship. maybe the 3rd new ship.
We'll see how it goes. we are excited to be there. we are concierge on both legs, so excited for that. I did start my morning every day with cove cafe coffee so now i'll just get it in the lounge. So that size issue won't bother me.

All good feedfback. Thank you for sharing.

Real pools, real use of space and a real Adult area.
Thankfully, these don't derail our cruising experience - we head to resorts instead for pools and space.

Food and entertainment do matter - and it's good to see the details through your review. Both of these coincidentally need an upgrade on the Wonder.

Our issue with Wish is its itineraries - which are as uninspiring as they come. I do understand the ship has been designed for these short runs. We will probably combine it B2B with a longer 7-nighter on the Fantasy or Triton II.

Last edited:
I agree with most of the review here. The pool situation was a complete joke. The only fix I can see is to convert at least one of the 2 plunge pools on deck 12 into an adult only pool. They can only accommodate about 12 - 15 people realistically but they are 4' 6" deep so it's at least something that you can stand in (and it's a bonus that you can watch the dumbotron while you're in there).

For Arendelle, the show was good but the way the room is set up with serving stations not everyone can see the show. The tables are also too close to one another, you very easily hear the conversation of the table next to you and there's barely enough room for the CM's to get through to serve the meals. Same with Marvel. 1923 was nice.

Keg and Compass was nice but too small to host the trivia events held there (and all Disney all the time for trivia was way too much "theming" in my opinion). Luna also was nice but if you do something like Quest in there (which they did) the folks in the balcony seats can't participate. The movie theaters were much more comfortable than on the prior ships.

The shows I thought were a complete joke. Seas the Adventure was only a half hour and it featured 2 of the lesser known film characters. The reimagination of The Little Mermaid looked like something a local performing arts company might put on, hardly Broadway quality.

One other major design flaw were some of the doorways. As an example, the door to go from the forward elevators to the food area was just one door, so people could come in or go out, but you couldn't have people doing both at the same time. Made for some significant bottlenecks in the area.

We're going back in September to see what it's like as a regular cruise not a Maiden Voyage and hopefully they'll have things working smoother then, but they obviously can't fix the structural issues so that will likely be our last Wish cruise.

Isn't that one about Goofy and Minnie? I'd hardly consider them "less known film characters".

I wasn't referring to Goofy and Minnie as the lesser known characters, the show features scenes with other characters from their movies (kind of like what they do in Believe and Dreams). One was the character from Brave and I forget what the other one was from. They also featured Elsa with a song from Frozen 2.

Thanks for the review @Empress Room - and you've confirmed many of my suspicions after reading and watching multiple reviews from the invited press cruise. (You gotta hand it to DCL saturating the media with all those 'great' reviews from the blogosphere and youtubers from their sailing...) In any event, the more we've watched the less and less interested we are in sailing on the Wish.

Not only are the classic ship design features appear to be missing (promenade deck, the adults only areas and lounges, a properly sized adults-only outdoor area and pool), but I've seen comments on other issues as well, like much less storage space in the cabins, the TV mounted in a fixed position, etc. And from everything I've seen and read - most of the public spaces seem very very tight. The tables in each dining room appear crammed together like desks in an overcrowded classroom, and whatever Cabana's is on the Wish seems incredibly tight and claustrophobic, even from the videos when the ship isn't at full capacity. Hadn't even considered the lack of shade on the top decks...

If all this is true, she appears - and again, we've not sailed on her so this my impression only - that she's more a floating extension of the parks, rather than a purpose-built ship for actual cruising. But maybe the intended purpose of the Wish is to be the DCL 'gateway' vessel for mostly new cruisers - then perhaps it works.

But these design choices also feel very shortsighted and limiting. If they offer 7 night sailings on the Wish, do I really want to see the Arendelle show twice or even 3 times? (I know, I know, they can add a 2nd performance, but do I want that much dinner theater on a cruise? Not really...)

The kicker here is that with most cruise lines, the newest ship in the fleet is almost always the marquis vessel; the shiniest, most desirable ship in that line - until the next one. And that's what I was expecting from the Wish, and suspect that's why it feels so perplexing those who love cruising DCL. Because instead of the Wish incorporating upgrades and improvements from the other ships, my impression is that the Wish feels like it's more a purpose-built utility ship - intended specifically for short hops and first timers. One-and-done cruising. And not that there's anything wrong with attracting first-timers and doing short hops - but I'm struggling to understand how they could have spent over a billion dollars on a ship that wouldn't appear to be comfortable - even for a b2b sailing - and certainly not for repeat guests who expect to see what makes the other ships so great (and yes, even the Dream and Fantasy).

Hoping I'm wrong, of course. But these early reviews aren't making me optimistic.

Thanks for the review @Empress Room - and you've confirmed many of my suspicions after reading and watching multiple reviews from the invited press cruise. (You gotta hand it to DCL saturating the media with all those 'great' reviews from the blogosphere and youtubers from their sailing...) In any event, the more we've watched the less and less interested we are in sailing on the Wish.

Not only are the classic ship design features appear to be missing (promenade deck, the adults only areas and lounges, a properly sized adults-only outdoor area and pool), but I've seen comments on other issues as well, like much less storage space in the cabins, the TV mounted in a fixed position, etc. And from everything I've seen and read - most of the public spaces seem very very tight. The tables in each dining room appear crammed together like desks in an overcrowded classroom, and whatever Cabana's is on the Wish seems incredibly tight and claustrophobic, even from the videos when the ship isn't at full capacity. Hadn't even considered the lack of shade on the top decks...

If all this is true, she appears - and again, we've not sailed on her so this my impression only - that she's more a floating extension of the parks, rather than a purpose-built ship for actual cruising. But maybe the intended purpose of the Wish is to be the DCL 'gateway' vessel for mostly new cruisers - then perhaps it works.

But these design choices also feel very shortsighted and limiting. If they offer 7 night sailings on the Wish, do I really want to see the Arendelle show twice or even 3 times? (I know, I know, they can add a 2nd performance, but do I want that much dinner theater on a cruise? Not really...)

The kicker here is that with most cruise lines, the newest ship in the fleet is almost always the marquis vessel; the shiniest, most desirable ship in that line - until the next one. And that's what I was expecting from the Wish, and suspect that's why it feels so perplexing those who love cruising DCL. Because instead of the Wish incorporating upgrades and improvements from the other ships, my impression is that the Wish feels like it's more a purpose-built utility ship - intended specifically for short hops and first timers. One-and-done cruising. And not that there's anything wrong with attracting first-timers and doing short hops - but I'm struggling to understand how they could have spent over a billion dollars on a ship that wouldn't appear to be comfortable - even for a b2b sailing - and certainly not for repeat guests who expect to see what makes the other ships so great (and yes, even the Dream and Fantasy).

Hoping I'm wrong, of course. But these early reviews aren't making me optimistic.

Your impressions and your additional observations about the cabin and the tables are all spot on.

How is this any different than seeing, for example, two Rapunzel dinner shows on the Magic?

And the outdoor adult area is actually quite large. The pool is small, but there's plenty of space otherwise.

After reading this review and other discouraging reviews from "real" passengers I am seriously reconsidering my b2b on the Wish in February. I really really dislike the whole design after looking at countless videos. Just wishing they would have stayed with the formula that made the other ships successful.

The Keg and Compass pub was also a design masterpiece and serves great fish and chips (although we are now seeing up charges for food in these specialty bars and spaces. The days of "all your food and soft drinks are included" in your fare are apparently over.) 1
This is one thing that really caught me off guard, as we had been on the Magic a few weeks earlier and they had brought back the "snack" buffet in O'Gill's that had been suspended for a bit due to COVID. However, we had a number of offerings, including Chicken Wings. In Keg and Compass, Chicken Wings (and a number of other items) are at a charge and not included. This made me in a way feel like I was on RCCL...

This is one thing that really caught me off guard, as we had been on the Magic a few weeks earlier and they had brought back the "snack" buffet in O'Gill's that had been suspended for a bit due to COVID. However, we had a number of offerings, including Chicken Wings. In Keg and Compass, Chicken Wings (and a number of other items) are at a charge and not included. This made me in a way feel like I was on RCCL...

We don’t typically frequent the lounges but I’m 95% sure the pubs on the other DCL ships have/had paid appetizers onboard- I remember seeing it and thinking how peculiar it was but they charge for popcorn & other snacks at the theater so made sense…

I was on the Irish bar in the fantasy in March and we had to buy the pretzel and other pub fare.

Thanks for your honest review.

I am SO glad we didn't drop $8000 on a Wish cruise this summer.

This ship sounds like my family's worst nightmare. Tight spaces, crowded public areas, claustrophobic restaurant, lack of shade. Yeah, not gonna work for us. Plus, we get on a ship to feel like we are on a SHIP. I don't like anything I've seen in photos of this ship. It looks like a hotel. The whole thing.

This is definitely making me reconsider my b2b in January, all the things you’ve touched on is things I was worried about after the media cruise.

I do want to sail the Wish but I may just stick with the 4 night.

After reading this review and other discouraging reviews from "real" passengers I am seriously reconsidering my b2b on the Wish in February. I really really dislike the whole design after looking at countless videos. Just wishing they would have stayed with the formula that made the other ships successful.
I’m not letting these reconsider mine. Many friends I know enjoyed it a few cruising again . I’d go once and see for yourself. You maybe surprised. I just switched ky August Cruises to February 3rd and February 6th

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter