The Witcher

Once they introduced Yennefer, I knew the timelines had to be different since she was 80 when Ciri was born (but being a sorceress she obviously didn’t/doesn’t look her age). I’ve played Witcher 3 and am a huge fan of Henry Cavill, but I am only on episode 5 since I don’t get much time to watch my shows. I like it but had I not played one of the games I would be thoroughly confused.

I enjoyed the series, and have started the books, they sprinkled parts of the first 2 books into the first series of the show. I sort of equate it as a cross between Game of Thrones and Hercules: The Legendary Journeys. Henry Cavill is my absolute biggest crush so that's wonderful too!

I found it interesting that sometimes Geralt's hair was really super blonde/white and others seems a bit more salt and pepper, until I realized that it was based on the timeline, the recent stories were the salt and pepper, so a good visual cue to see when you are. The early stuff with Yennefer wasn't really touched on much at all in the books, perhaps at a later time the books have her backstory, but really all that's mentioned is that Geralt could see her being a hunchback.

It had potential, but I actually thought the production quality was sophomoric and the special effects budget was next to nothing.
But I must admit, the Bard character is flat-out awful and doesn't even help advance the storyline IMO.

I'll stick with it for season 2, but on the whole I thought season 1 was a disappointment.

Overall, I agree. We finished watching and will watch the next season, but it did seem lower quality and cheesy to me at various parts throughout. I'm not sure if the Bard character was supposed to be comical, but, yes, we also just found him annoying and didn't see much purpose in the plotline of including him.

I know this is ridiculous, but my biggest gripe was with the name Yennefer. I don't know if it's a real name somewhere else, but it just rubbed me the wrong way every time it was spoken. It sounds awkward and like almost no thought went into coming up with something creative that would fit the character.

Overall, I agree. We finished watching and will watch the next season, but it did seem lower quality and cheesy to me at various parts throughout. I'm not sure if the Bard character was supposed to be comical, but, yes, we also just found him annoying and didn't see much purpose in the plotline of including him.

I know this is ridiculous, but my biggest gripe was with the name Yennefer. I don't know if it's a real name somewhere else, but it just rubbed me the wrong way every time it was spoken. It sounds awkward and like almost no thought went into coming up with something creative that would fit the character.

The bard is 100% supposed to be that way. Comical and annoying at times. He's better at times and worse at others.

Yennefer is a Polish name from the Welsh Jennifer.

The bard is 100% supposed to be that way. Comical and annoying at times. He's better at times and worse at others.

Yennefer is a Polish name from the Welsh Jennifer.
Yennefer is also how it's pronounced in Spanish-speaking countries even though they still commonly use the J spelling... same with "Jessica" is pronounced "yeh-sica".

I think it would sound better if the accents weren't mostly English, Scottish, and Irish. It definitely sounds a bit awkward. But when you know the source material is Polish it's a bit more tolerable. I think Geralt sounds pretty weird too honestly but it makes more sense if you think of it as having Germanic influence on the pronunciation of Gerald.

I had watched one or two episodes and then didn't go back to it. I have started watching again and the time jumps are confusing. Slowly getting the gist of the story line, but It does make it hard. Glad I am not the only one that had this problem.

DD and SIL say that "The Mandelorian" is simply "The Witcher" set in space. I wouldn't know, haven't seen Witcher, but I can relate to the time-jump, especially after having watched "The Book of Boba Fett!"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter