Theater Banning Men From Two Showings of Wonder Woman

This is off topic, but it's bugging me because I'm a life long Girl Scout.

Girl Scouts in the US and Girl Guides in Canada are the comparable organizations. They are both their countries' member organization in the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts. (And I just looked it up: Girl Guides Australia, Girl Guiding New Zealand, and Girlguiding in the UK are the respective organizations in those countries)
These organizations are the decedents of the UK Boy Scouts/Baden-Powell/then Juliet Low in the US.

https://www.wagggs.org/en/
What was bugging you? And how does this info change anything that has been discussed about Girl Guides in this thread?

I never got what the purpose of Aquaman was. He seemed more like a blonde pretty boy. Now Jason Momoa looks like he can turn Aquaman into a total badass.

Google family guy Aquaman.

I stopped reading the pages after a while. Alamo Draft House is my favorite place to watch movies. And they do all kinds of fun themed movie nights, usually for older/classic movies.
I think anybody who is offended by this is either overly sensitive. It's not like guys are being banned from seeing the movie at this theater. The movie opens tomorrow, and the No Men Allowed doesn't happen until Tuesday.
Sometimes people just get offended to get offended.

I actually do know they are different studios etc. but DS was trying get Deadpool past me. I have a handful of trusted friends who advise me on all of these because well, I just can't keep up with them, lol.

Haha, I can see a kid trying that. Deadpool is so far removed from the usual genre movies that it's almost irresponsible to put the Marvel name to it. I can remember when Deadpool wasn't a raunchy character (Harley Quinn too)!

Deadpool was hilarious but not for young kids.

I was truly surprised when one of my 12 year old students showed up wearing Deadpool earrings. And when I asked, said that of course she'd seen the movie! She's a very sweet, conservative girl, who attends Catholic school - I would not have guessed her parents were that laid back about what she's allowed to watch! :laughing:

But she does have three older brothers, so I imagine she's getting the younger-sibling pass on a lot of things.

Legally:The laws are state by state.
In my state I can NOT offer a "Ladies Night" a "College Night" etc. Any offerings of services, items (whether discounted or free) to a restricted group of people is illegal. Now I don't know how that would work as I do not know what is being "given" per se in this scenario.
Do places still do it, ABSOLUTELY. What can happen? In most cases, your insurance drops you. Happens all the time. That's who's watching. So the worst case scenario, IF it is illegal in their state their insurance may get dropped, which is why it is great to have a good insurance agent, like we do :thumbsup2

Haha, I can see a kid trying that. Deadpool is so far removed from the usual genre movies that it's almost irresponsible to put the Marvel name to it. I can remember when Deadpool wasn't a raunchy character (Harley Quinn too)!

Deadpool was hilarious but not for young kids.
Holy crap, it's inappropriate from the second it opens, lol! I really thought it can't be *that* bad but wow. Of course my DH thinks it's one of the greatest movies ever made. If he goes out of town he has it on his iPad to watch. I told DS maybe when he's 16.

Legally:The laws are state by state.
In my state I can NOT offer a "Ladies Night" a "College Night" etc. Any offerings of services, items (whether discounted or free) to a restricted group of people is illegal. Now I don't know how that would work as I do not know what is being "given" per se in this scenario.
Do places still do it, ABSOLUTELY. What can happen? In most cases, your insurance drops you. Happens all the time. That's who's watching. So the worst case scenario, IF it is illegal in their state their insurance may get dropped, which is why it is great to have a good insurance agent, like we do :thumbsup2

Well - theoretically no, but in reality it takes someone to sue and risk the possibility of losing and being asked to pay the defendant's legal feels in case the judge thinks it's frivolous. And the main defense seems to be that whatever business it was never really enforced a "women's only" admission or discount policy, even though an advertisement might make it seem that way. Ladies nights have been ruled a violation of California's civil rights laws for three decades, but there are still such events being advertised.

Well - theoretically no, but in reality it takes someone to sue and risk the possibility of losing and being asked to pay the defendant's legal feels in case the judge thinks it's frivolous. And the main defense seems to be that whatever business it was never really enforced a "women's only" admission or discount policy, even though an advertisement might make it seem that way. Ladies nights have been ruled a violation of California's civil rights laws for three decades, but there are still such events being advertised.

There is no "theoretically no". I am simply stating facts as someone who is a Permittee for a beverage, liquor and food license that it depends on which state your business resides in. Legally, as in THE LAW.

There is no "theoretically no". I am simply stating facts as someone who is a Permittee for a beverage, liquor and food license that it depends on which state your business resides in. Legally, as in THE LAW.

Well - we can certainly understand what the law is, but then there's how it gets enforced. That there's over three decades of legal precedent in California hasn't really stopped businesses from advertising ladies nights. Here's one case filed by someone with a history of filing and settling:

http://www.ocregister.com/2014/12/0...s-night-hb-mans-lawsuits-battle-for-equality/

The vast majority of businesses choose to settle rather than face a costly legal battle, but Myers decided to fight the lawsuit.

He said he was fortunate to have attorney friends who were good customers at Cha Cha’s and wanted to take the case.

“(Myers) had had enough of these types of frivolous lawsuits that essentially destroy many small businesses in California,” said attorney Michael Grobaty, who defended the restaurant. “He decided it was time to take a stand.”

In the four-day trial, Grobaty argued that Cha Cha’s offered its deals to everyone, but Frye refused the discounts because he wanted to seek the damage claim instead.

The jury came back with a quick verdict, finding no grounds for discrimination, he said.

Grobaty, who compared Frye’s actions to a shakedown, said the jury’s decision will hopefully discourage such lawsuits.

“What drives these cases is money,” he said. “If a plaintiff wins, he gets all of his attorneys fees paid for in addition to the $4,000 per violation.”

Though he won his case, Myers said Cha Cha’s has since canceled Señorita Night to prevent any future hassles.

“And it’s a shame,” he said, “because it was a great, fun night.”​

Holy crap, it's inappropriate from the second it opens, lol! I really thought it can't be *that* bad but wow. Of course my DH thinks it's one of the greatest movies ever made. If he goes out of town he has it on his iPad to watch. I told DS maybe when he's 16.

Or, you know, you could insist on watching it with your son, in order to explain everything in excruciating detail.

I've done that with my kids, and it's a heck of a lot of fun (for me). Plus, it's always interesting to see what they react to, and what they're confused by.

And, on the plus side, it means that if they do watch it on the down low with their friends, I've ruined it for them... I mean, educated them already. ;)

Well - we can certainly understand what the law is, but then there's how it gets enforced. That there's over three decades of legal precedent in California hasn't really stopped businesses from advertising ladies nights. Here's one case filed by someone with a history of filing and settling:

http://www.ocregister.com/2014/12/0...s-night-hb-mans-lawsuits-battle-for-equality/

The vast majority of businesses choose to settle rather than face a costly legal battle, but Myers decided to fight the lawsuit.

He said he was fortunate to have attorney friends who were good customers at Cha Cha’s and wanted to take the case.

“(Myers) had had enough of these types of frivolous lawsuits that essentially destroy many small businesses in California,” said attorney Michael Grobaty, who defended the restaurant. “He decided it was time to take a stand.”

In the four-day trial, Grobaty argued that Cha Cha’s offered its deals to everyone, but Frye refused the discounts because he wanted to seek the damage claim instead.

The jury came back with a quick verdict, finding no grounds for discrimination, he said.

Grobaty, who compared Frye’s actions to a shakedown, said the jury’s decision will hopefully discourage such lawsuits.

“What drives these cases is money,” he said. “If a plaintiff wins, he gets all of his attorneys fees paid for in addition to the $4,000 per violation.”

Though he won his case, Myers said Cha Cha’s has since canceled Señorita Night to prevent any future hassles.

“And it’s a shame,” he said, “because it was a great, fun night.”​

Still not following, are you listing cases of customers suing? If it's not the the Liquor Department or Dept of Consumer Protection taking away their license, which is who sets the law that I am talking about, then getting sued is just, well, the world we live in. The fact that it is a Civil matter is unique to CA (again state by state). And no, no one will stop advertising, that was exactly what I said, that people still do it, cuz legally, meaning with in the law, the most common thing that happens is insurance companies drop you if they think your behavior becomes too high risk. Insurance companies do not need any legal grounds to drop clients. Getting sued is a possible effect of misconduct, not the law.

Still not following, are you listing cases of customers suing? If it's not the the Liquor Department or Dept of Consumer Protection taking away their license, which is who sets the law that I am talking about, then getting sued is just, well, the world we live in. The fact that it is a Civil matter is unique to CA (again state by state). And no, no one will stop advertising, that was exactly what I said, that people still do it, cuz legally, meaning with in the law, the most common thing that happens is insurance companies drop you if they think your behavior becomes too high risk. Insurance companies do not need any legal grounds to drop clients. Getting sued is a possible effect of misconduct, not the law.

Certainly around here one isn't going to need to worry about losing a liquor license due to having a ladies night promotion. I've never heard of a business getting shut down or threatened with loss on insurance. The main risk I've heard of seems to be getting sued.

Or, you know, you could insist on watching it with your son, in order to explain everything in excruciating detail.

I've done that with my kids, and it's a heck of a lot of fun (for me). Plus, it's always interesting to see what they react to, and what they're confused by.

And, on the plus side, it means that if they do watch it on the down low with their friends, I've ruined it for them... I mean, educated them already. ;)
Ha, have you seen it? We're talking from the second it starts, even the opening and closing credits are raunchy. Even my DH blushed because my older DD (grown) was watching it with us. When the comic book geeks give me a firm no, it's a no and they're pretty liberal. He was 10 when it came out, he would have been scarred for life. :rotfl2:If he watches it on the sly we'll deal with it then. I'm sure I'll know if he does by the absolute shock on his face, lol.

Ha, have you seen it? We're talking from the second it starts, even the opening and closing credits are raunchy. Even my DH blushed because my older DD (grown) was watching it with us. When the comic book geeks give me a firm no, it's a no and they're pretty liberal. He was 10 when it came out, he would have been scarred for life. :rotfl2:If he watches it on the sly we'll deal with it then. I'm sure I'll know if he does by the absolute shock on his face, lol.

Yes, I have! :bitelip:

Which is why I was pretty shocked that my 12 year old student had seen it (and so have many of her classmates, apparently).

But, I'm not especially shy about these topics. I've helped teach sex ed in our church. And the raunchiness is at least enthusiastically consensual. :thumbsup2

That said, my son (possibly scarred for life?) flatly refused to watch Game of Thrones with us, when he was a teenager. Even now, at 19, he's hilariously careful what he shows us on YouTube, and insists on giving warnings like, "Now, the lyrics to this song are a bit raunchy..." as if he somehow thinks I'll be shocked? Might be wishful thinking on his part.

Theaters are the next "Blockbuster" unless they can bring in the people again. Theaters need to do MORE promotions to keep them coming imo. I think a screening with all women is fine as a fun party.

As far as haters, with social media things are "out" there now. What is this, "Footloose at the Theater"? It is a party for goodness sake.

What a way to get some free advertising as well! HA!

Deadpool has been sitting on my DVR, unwatched, for more than 6 months. Y'all have rekindled my interest in watching it. Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter