Theater Banning Men From Two Showings of Wonder Woman

No they are not anti women. What they are anti is the fact that there are over 2000 domestic abuse centres for women and 1 for men when men make up 45% of domestc abuse victims.

So who do I donate to if I want to help build a shelter?

And where does the number 1 come from? Because I found more than that. I mean, nothing compared to number of women's shelters, but it's more than 1.

http://www.batteredmen.com/bathelpnatl.htm

No they are not anti women. What they are anti is the fact that there are over 2000 domestic abuse centres for women and 1 for men when men make up 45% of domestc abuse victims, that 93% of work place deaths are male most suicides are male, that men will serve 64% more time in jail for the same crime, that they face huge battles to be in the lives of their children. What they want is equality for both sexes which is not what the new wave of feminists want.

Red pill women are an interesting group. Have you hit "the wall" yet, wherein your "market value" has declined below your perceived self worth? Or do you still consider yourself "high value"?

I'm not going to take apart your stats. One, it's too much work for a Tuesday morning on which I've got better things to do. Two, inter-relational violence is an incredibly complex topic that varies from country to country and cannot be boiled down to the same facile (and debatable) stats, repeated over and over.

However, here are some resources for men experiencing family violence:

http://www.batteredmen.com/bathelpnatl.htm

For women:

http://www.vachss.com/help_text/domestic_violence_intl.html

If anyone, of any gender, is feeling suicidal:

http://www.suicide.org/international-suicide-hotlines.html

And finally, if you see a problem, do something about it! If your country lacks a men's shelter, create one.

On Saturday, we lost a very special woman to terrorism in London. Her name was Christine Archibald, and before moving from BC to London to be with her fiance, she worked in a homeless shelter. She'd begun volunteering there while attending university, and once she'd graduated, became a full time staff member. She was loving and generous, and worked hard to make the world a better place for all people. Her family has issued this statement: "Volunteer your time and labour or donate to a homeless shelter. Tell them Chrissy sent you.”

Chrissy's "value" lay in so, SO much more than just her sex appeal, or her gender.

archibald.jpg

No they are not anti women. What they are anti is the fact that there are over 2000 domestic abuse centres for women and 1 for men when men make up 45% of domestc abuse victims, that 93% of work place deaths are male most suicides are male, that men will serve 64% more time in jail for the same crime, that they face huge battles to be in the lives of their children. What they want is equality for both sexes which is not what the new wave of feminists want.
You repeating the same thing doesn't make it factual. How anyone can deny they are anti-woman is beyond me.

I had a (former) acquaintance who was similar in his way of thinking to the Red pill morons. He was quite surprised when I told him exactly what I thought about his attitude toward women, because, you know, I was supposed to be an idiot with no thoughts of my own :rolleyes:. He obviously didn't know me very well. :rotfl:

You repeating the same thing doesn't make it factual. How anyone can deny they are anti-woman is beyond me.

I had a (former) acquaintance who was similar in his way of thinking to the Red pill morons. He was quite surprised when I told him exactly what I thought about his attitude toward women, because, you know, I was supposed to be an idiot with no thoughts of my own :rolleyes:. He obviously didn't know me very well. :rotfl:

It's not a competition. The red pill people bring up some important facts about families. You can learn something.

It's not a competition. The red pill people bring up some important facts about families. You can learn something.

So...

Not that I really want to get involved here, but that's like saying PETA brings up some important facts about animal abuse. They do. Unfortunately, everything they produce is tainted by their more, shall we say, less mainstream views. Or that Beeitbart occasionally manages to produce journalism. Sure. But the fruit itself is tainted by the far right movement.

Source matters. The motivation and funding behind the source matters. Red Pill isn't a credible source precisely because of the movement that produced it and their motivation for doing so. And even entertaining the thought that they are credible is incredibly dangerous to our already mysogynistic culture, in which it's been barely a century since women gained national suffrage, the right to have a say over their own bodies, the right to a divorce, the right to call coercive sex within a marriage what it is- rape. And as others have pointed out, many women live hand to mouth because the fathers of their children have deliberately made the choice not to pay child support.

So...

Not that I really want to get involved here, but that's like saying PETA brings up some important facts about animal abuse. They do. Unfortunately, everything they produce is tainted by their more, shall we say, less mainstream views. Or that Beeitbart occasionally manages to produce journalism. Sure. But the fruit itself is tainted by the far right movement.

Source matters. The motivation and funding behind the source matters. Red Pill isn't a credible source precisely because of the movement that produced it and their motivation for doing so. And even entertaining the thought that they are credible is incredibly dangerous to our already mysogynistic culture, in which it's been barely a century since women gained national suffrage, the right to have a say over their own bodies, the right to a divorce, the right to call coercive sex within a marriage what it is- rape. And as others have pointed out, many women live hand to mouth because the fathers of their children have deliberately made the choice not to pay child support.

I wish you understood the bigger picture. You are hurting women's progress.

No it's not a competition. Radical groups often use facts to pull people in and legitimize their group.

To say that a group whose main message is that society is seeing its down fall because of feminization and that women are only a tradable commodetity of sex and looks isn't anti-women is,disingenuous at best, and frankly terrifying at worst.

This group also argues that rape doesn't really exist since women aren't really equal human beings. Is there something to be "learned" there too?

Part of what makes the Red Pill (Nice Guys/incels included) crowd so scary is that isn't a super niche group.

They aren't keeping men out of the kitchen haha. They are just having rhe ushers/servers be women. There will be men in the other 6 screens and probably even working the guest service desk and bar down stairs. For the Brooklyn location they are at 7:30 pm on a Monday and Thursday. I don't think anyone expects 100% only females in the building it is just that 1 theater of 7 just like it was for Black and White Logan. Only the people working customer facing for that specific showing had to follow the dress code rule not everyone on staff that night.

The description said that the entire "culinary team" and the projectionist would be women.

The latter is rather hard to demonstrate these days with electronic projection. With film I remember seeing the projectionist actually go to the back and start the movie or get back and start the second reel. I've also seen a few projection errors in my day where someone had to come by and reset the equipment because the film jumped. New equipment just needs to be programmed and can be controlled at a central location.

I still would like to know how I can contribute to creating a men's domestic abuse shelter in my area. If it's that much of a problem, surely a Red Pill Woman can point me in a direction.

I wish you understood the bigger picture. You are hurting women's progress.

What bigger picture? And how am I hurting women's progress by failing to give an antiwomen group legitimacy? I am genuinely curious. These people want to undo a century or more of woman's rights and contributions to society.

The description said that the entire "culinary team" and the projectionist would be women.

The latter is rather hard to demonstrate these days with electronic projection. With film I remember seeing the projectionist actually go to the back and start the movie or get back and start the second reel. I've also seen a few projection errors in my day where someone had to come by and reset the equipment because the film jumped. New equipment just needs to be programmed and can be controlled at a central location.

Good points! I wonder how much of this is just spin? How do we even know they have a male projectionist on payroll at all? Or that their "culinary team" isn't entirely female anyway?

So reports were that they generally went off without a hitch. Apparently a few men slipped into the event in Brooklyn, as I suspected would happen. I believe they have an 18 and up policy unless accompanied by an adult, and it looks like one of the men was just a girl's dad.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/05/movies/wonder-woman-all-female-screening.html

Then the doors opened, and viewers filed into the theater. Reporters were banned, but according to audience members, a couple of men slipped in, though no one said anything, and word circulated that at least one was someone’s dad.​

It's kind of old, but there have been a few complaints lodged with the city of Austin. The highest profile seems to be from a gay law professor (Stephen Clark from University of Albany) in upstate NY. The Washington Post also got input from an attorney at Rutgers (Stacy Hawkins) who thinks that the language used by Alamo Drafthouse might have been poorly chosen. Her suggestion is that they can call it a women's only event, but not be brazen enough to say "no men".

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...shut-down-women-only-wonder-woman-screenings/

“It’s the principle of the thing,” he told The Post. “I’m a gay man, and I’ve studied and taught gay rights for years. Our gay bars have long said that you do not exclude people because they’re gay or straight or transgender — you just can’t do that for any reason.”

“We have to deal with the bachelorette parties that come to the gay bar,” he added. “They’re terribly disruptive, but if you forbid women from coming to a gay bar, you’re starting down a slippery slope. It’s discrimination.”
But Hawkins said she remains unconvinced that the women-only screenings violate male employees’ rights. In order for a cause of action under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, a male employee would have to show a “material action,” such as losing a job or suffering the loss of pay. As long as male employees are assigned to other screenings in the theater, they aren’t losing their jobs, hours or pay, Hawkins said.

“I don’t think that would constitute an adverse employment action,” she said.

Hawkins said the entire controversy could have been avoided with a simple tweak in the theater’s advertising.

“Just eliminate ‘no men welcome’ language,” she said. “You try to make sure you demonstrate this is an event for and about women and, most likely, men aren’t going to show up.”​

I didn't see that in the description I read for the Brooklyn one. Either way the first one already happened and a few men did attend with no issues but the theater was mostly women and went off with out a hitch. The only person who showed up and made a stink wouldn't have been able to see the movie anyway because it was already sold out.

I couldn't quite find out what time these screenings were. Were they like way after normal hours or something? Otherwise I'm not sure how they would be able to keep men out of the kitchen or otherwise working in the theater.
Tonight's show is at 7 or 7:30 at the original venue. I thought the added show was also tonight, at 9:30, but I could easily be wrong.
I believe the tone would be very different if it was all women being banned from working a shift or two.
I disagree with your interpretation that anybody is being banned (negative connotation) from working a certain shift. I see it as some people being scheduled for a particular shift while they and others are scheduled for a multitude of other available shifts throughout the work week.
How is this thread even on page 11??

The most entertaining bit to me is that this can't be the only theater in town.
Not counting the several Alamo Draft House locations in and around (major and capital city) Austin, there are at least two dozen movie theaters and venues in the Austin area. Wonder Woman is showing on at least ten different screens. Seventy one showings, not counting this controversial one. Anyone who insists on a 7 PM show has five standard screenings and one 3D from which to choose. Also one each at 7:15, 7:20, 7:30.
Rats. I was wondering if this might break the stupid superhero movie trend and actually make this one worth seeing!
Rotten Tomato 93%, IMDb.com 8.3/10. You decide :D
No they are not anti women. What they are anti is the fact that there are over 2000 domestic abuse centres for women and 1 for men when men make up 45% of domestc abuse victims
Then this group should open more domestic abuse centers for men, instead of simply complaining.
that 93% of work place deaths are male
Only makes sense. According to Wikipedia, " The industries with the highest death rates are mining, agriculture, forestry, fishing, and construction, all of which employ more men than women" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occupational_fatality
most suicides are male
More women than men attempt suicide. Men are more successful "The survey found that 7% of women and 4% of men had attempted suicide at some point in their lives.
But of the 5,981 deaths by suicide in the UK in 2012, more than three quarters (4,590) were males. In the US, of the 38,000 people who took their own lives in 2010, 79% were men." https://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/jan/21/suicide-gender-men-women-mental-health-nick-clegg

I didn't see that in the description I read for the Brooklyn one. Either way the first one already happened and a few men did attend with no issues but the theater was mostly women and went off with out a hitch. The only person who showed up and made a stink wouldn't have been able to see the movie anyway because it was already sold out.

The right-wing blogger who claimed to have bought a ticket for one of the Brooklyn screenings hasn't said a thing about it since.

And men weren't really told they weren't welcome, as I suspected. If they really did try to block a man from entering, they'd be up for a pretty nasty lawsuit as well as bad press.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter