• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Theme Park Parking

Wendie

Mouseketeer
Is it a pain in the butt to pay for theme park parking? Like, is it going to add 15 minutes onto actually getting in parked or no? We are staying off site and driving. We stayed on-site with a car last time and that was slick, but I've never had to deal with actually paying for parking and was wondering what I could expect.

Thanks!

We never had a problem, but we were there early every day. A few times so early the gates were up but there was no one there taking payment.

I would recommend getting to the parks early. At least 1/2 hour before it opens. But once you’re parked you could use the bus/monorail/boats to get to other parks.

Whether it's a "pain in the butt" is subjective, I guess. We drive into the parks daily, since we're offsite. We also never, ever rope drop. Not sure what you're comparing it to when you say "add 10 or 15 minutes", so can't answer that. But just some notes...

They have a ton of booths open during peak hours, so it doesn't take long to get to the ticket/pay window. People tend to be like a flock of sheep for some reason and stay huddled in just a few lanes, making those lines long. Look far left or right, there will be open lanes.

From there, it takes a few minutes to wind around to wherever they have you park. CMs will direct you where to park.

Take the tram from there to the front gate (or TTC for MK). If you're close to the front, maybe walk.

Note where you parked the car...you'll want that for later.

On average, I'd say from the time we get to the booth where you pay for parking until the time we're actually at the front gate (or TTC) is typically 10-20 minutes, depending.

EDIT: Oh, are you asking if the ticket booths add 15 minutes to your time, just to get through them? Sorry, slow witted this morning. As I said above, if you follow the flock, then yes, it may add 10-15 minutes. But look far left and right and you'll breeze through.

Last edited:

Super easy and I rarely have more than a car or two in front of me in line, if that. I travel and a lower crowd time though. I guess if you were doing a peak day with max. capacity crowds then parking would be an issue and could take a good chunk of time, but on an average day it's non issue.

The only time that it has ever been slow was on New Year's Day. But traffic was backed up down the highway that day and even Disney buses had to wait a long time just. Some days you may pick the "wrong" line and it will add 2-3 minutes, but that's about it.

We've always stayed offsite - never had a wait at all to pay, as far as I can remember. Usually just pull right up. Is there a separate lane for Disney guests who don't have to pay?

Compared to what.... staying onsite and using Disney buses, using your offsite resort scheduled busses, taxies? I stay onsite, and use Disney transportation, so that is quicker than parking. BUT many guests like having their car at the location so they can leave when they want.

Compared to what.... staying onsite and using Disney buses, using your offsite resort scheduled busses, taxies? I stay onsite, and use Disney transportation, so that is quicker than parking. BUT many guests like having their car at the location so they can leave when they want.

I drive myself because I can get where I'm going much quicker than using the buses.

We've always stayed offsite - never had a wait at all to pay, as far as I can remember. Usually just pull right up. Is there a separate lane for Disney guests who don't have to pay?

No. The only separate lane is on the far right for buses, which still have to stop briefly when they go through. All other lanes are the same as the one next to it

I drive myself because I can get where I'm going much quicker than using the buses.

Bingo. We do, too. The buses are a time killer.

OP, unless you're going on a crazy busy day, it might take 1 or 2 minutes to stop and pay if you get behind a line of cars. People will stack up in the same lanes and leave others empty so just look for the green light and go to either end to the empty lanes that no one else seems to want :) I find parking at Disney to be a well oiled machine and super easy.

No. The only separate lane is on the far right for buses, which still have to stop briefly when they go through. All other lanes are the same as the one next to it

Actually there is no longer a stop and lane for the buses... now all buses, traffic going to the resorts and cast members going to MK cast parking behind Magic Kingdom exit to the far right before the parking booths and avoid the toll booths all together.

That opened November 14th and has had one lane variation since then. It's part of the new road system.

Liz

Actually there is no longer a stop and lane for the buses... now all buses, traffic going to the resorts and cast members going to MK cast parking behind Magic Kingdom exit to the far right before the parking booths and avoid the toll booths all together.

That opened November 14th and has had one lane variation since then. It's part of the new road system.

Liz
Love the new entrance at the MK

OP is should thake less then 5 minutes to get through the booths unless it is New Year’s Eve

Liz

I live back behind MK so occasionally I go in through there and I definitely preferred going through the toll plaza.Now there tends to be more traffic in that lane which also has to deal with the traffic light,the old road is totally torn up so they built this new tiny and curvy road that looks temporary and hopefully is,as with all the construction I couldn't imagine that's what it will look like when its finished.In fact that new lane turnoff to get past the toll booth will probably not be permanent either,I think I saw a map four what it will look like and I remember there being a flyover to bypass the toll.That turnoff will probably stay there to go from World Dr to Vista blvd but I've seen that turnoff get stacked up pretty often for that to be the final layout.I think I remember even seeing the whole road getting shifted with maybe the toll plaza even moving over,anybody who knows or can post what it will look like when finished go ahead and let us know,I've only seen the map one time and was shocked at how much it will change.Another area on property that's getting a complete makeover is the Victory way/Osceola interchange where the new DHS entrance is moving to.

Some of the parking booths are configured to take payments from the driver side of each vehicle on the right side of the booth (as you drive toward it), and simultaneously from the passenger side of each vehicle on the left side of the booth. That type of the booth can be handled by either one CM, who alternates serving each side of the booth, or two CM's one serving each side. That can also affect how long it takes to get through.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter