courtneybelle

What foolishness would you like to see?
“Have faith in your dreams and someday,
your rainbow will come smiling through.
No matter how your heart is grieving,
if you keep on believing,
the dream that you wish will come true.”

14664700006_28dce4e6ee_c.jpg

Once upon a time, a girl had a dream of celebrating her Sweet 16 at her and her family’'s favorite place in the world, Walt Disney World.
This is the story of how that dream came true.

14683056881_de02937009_c.jpg

It’'s a story of blazing heat, torrential downpours, and a little drama.
But it'’s also a story of new adventures, amazing surprises, and pure magic.
Above all, though, it’'s the story of one intrepid family determined to have the best trip to Walt Disney World ever, who faced every challenge with unwavering optimism. (Okay, the optimism wavered a little once or twice. Just being honest.)

So who is this fearless family? Well, let’'s start with the most important member. MEEEEE! (Kidding.)

14684418511_abafa17820_c.jpg

My name is Courtney. I am 22 years old and have been to Disney over 20 times. I am head over heels in love with Disney and I hope to work for the Company some day. I am a firm believer in wishes and dreams coming true, and to me that’'s what Disney is all about.
My favorite park is the Magic Kingdom, and my favorite attractions are Splash Mountain, Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster, and Enchanted Tales with Belle. Beauty and the Beast and Frozen are my favorite Disney movies. My favorite Disney experience, though, is WISHES! A MAGICAL GATHERING OF DISNEY DREAMS!
As long as you don'’t disrespect Duffy the Disney Bear or the Carousel of Progress in front of me, we'’ll get along great.
My quote of the trip: “I'’d enjoy it a lot more if I didn'’t feel like I was dying.”

This is my third trip report on the DISboards. Go read the others while I'’m updating this one!

Hurry Up, You Brats, Or I’'m Telling Mickey Mouse! An August 2013 TR
Follow Me! I Will Lead Us Into Battle! A Thanksgiving 2013 TR

Of course, this trip wasn't about me. It was about this princess! (No, not Anna, the other one.)

14687757905_1431fe2cdd_c.jpg

My sister Kylie turned 16 while we were at Walt Disney World. Kylie has also been a Disney enthusiast from birth. She loves Peter Pan, Frozen, and Snow White. Her favorite park is MK and her favorite ride is Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Kylie wants to be an ASL interpreter when she grows up and is already fluent, so we often go to see the sign language interpreters at Disney. She wants me to mention that she has an Instagram where she edits Disney pictures. Find her @disneywallflower.
Quote of the trip: “I’'m respecting our country!”

Because it was Kylie'’s birthday, she got to bring her best friend Emily!

14687685215_3b69ee018a_c.jpg

Emily barely remembers her trip to WDW when she was younger, so we considered this her first trip. She was so excited to try everything, and by the end of the trip she was a full-on DISer complaining about tour groups and people who can’t work FP+. They grow up so fast! Her favorite movies are Mary Poppins and The Little Mermaid. She loved all the thrill rides and Finding Nemo: The Musical.
Quote of the trip: “I’'m liking this Disney thing!”

We also brought some grown-ups on this trip. Here we have my parents! (The one in the middle is not my parent.)

14500999709_1ece6a523f_c.jpg

My mom has been going to Disney World since it opened. She is the planner, photographer, and scrapbooker of our trips. We’d be pretty lost without her. She loves Frozen, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, and Disney cupcakes. Her favorite resort is the Beach Club and I hope she can stay there one day!
Quote of the trip: “I knew that pizza would come back to bite me in the butt.”

My dad didn’'t go to Disney until he was 30 but he has been converted into a Disney fanatic. He is an expert photobomber and child at heart. He is hearing impaired, so he also benefited from the sign language interpreters. He loves Space Mountain and Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster, and his favorite character is Princess Tiana.
Quote of the trip: “It was all my idea. Wait, where are we going?”

The five of us were together in WDW from July 5 to July 13. But more family joined us for parts of the trip as well!

My Aunt Patti and Uncle Rick are two of my favorite relatives. They have done Disney with us before and they like it because we plan everything and they adapt well to our commando touring.

14501204790_119e0f96ac_c.jpg

Aunt Patti is the sweetest person you will ever meet. She loves Winnie the Pooh and her favorite attraction is Mickey’s Philharmagic. She did the parks with us for a few days and we had a wonderful time!
Quote of the trip: “I think I broke the scooter

My Uncle Rick is sarcastic and hilarious. He spent a few days of the trip golfing but the time we spent in the parks and at meals together was so much fun! He loves trains, so he really enjoyed the Walt Disney World Railroad, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, and Seven Dwarfs Mine Train.
Quote of the trip: “I hope I make it on the blog!”

And for the first two days, my dad’'s best friend Uncle Dave met up with us.

14499529879_4df57525ab_c.jpg

Uncle Dave lives in Florida and goes by the name Fungus (because he’s a single fun guy...…ladies). Uncle Dave once asked Cinderella for her number. He’'s a legend.
Quote of the trip: “I love you, giant yo-yo.”

As I said before, we were at Disney July 5-13, and we stayed at Pop Century Resort!

14499761307_abe79c97fd_c.jpg

Because it was Kylie'’s birthday trip, we pulled out all the stops. Here are just some of the things you have to look forward to:
Frozen Summer Fun!
Keys to the Kingdom!
Wishes Dessert Party!
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train!
Festival of Fantasy!
Birthday cake!
Matching T-shirts!
Getting trapped inside it’'s a small world! (I wish that was a joke.)

Well, I’'d say it’'s time to get this started. Please select a row and move all the way to the end. Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic.

One more thing: let me know if you'’re along for the ride! I have met so many wonderful people within this community and I love making new Disney friends. So feel free to comment, ask questions, tell me your stories, whatever your heart desires!

Away we go! There'’s nowhere to go but down…...to the Utilidors!

Last edited:
Table Of Contents
July 5

Chapter 1: It's Agony To Wait
Chapter 2: This Must Be POP!
Chapter 3: You Can Always Go Downtown

July 6

Chapter 4: Doing Whatever Snow Does In Summer
Chapter 5: HOOHOO BIG SUMMER BLOWOUT
Chapter 6: I Am The Captain Now
Chapter 7: For The First Time In Forever: A Frozen Sing-A-Long
Chapter 8: ‘50s Prime Time Café
Chapter 9: See You In The Movies
Chapter 10: We're On The List

July 7

Chapter 11: It's Yeti Time! Or Not.
Chapter 12: The World For Once In Perfect Harmony
Chapter 13: Go With The Flow
Chapter 14: Chef Mickey's
Chapter 15: Celebrate! Every Day's A Party!
Chapter 16: A Grand Circle Tour

July 8

Chapter 17: The Sweet 16 Commences
Chapter 18: Crystal Palace
Chapter 19: "I'm A Fast Learner."
Chapter 20: A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow
Chapter 21: Selfies With Big Al
Chapter 22: As The Dining Room Proudly Presents...
Chapter 23: Be Our Guest
Chapter 24: Fin-Flipping-Tastic

July 9

Chapter 25: Attack Of The Tour Groups
Chapter 26: Character Hunting Around the World
Chapter 27: Via Napoli
Chapter 28: A Dream Is A Wish
Chapter 29: Whispering Canyon Café

July 10

Chapter 30: Keys to the Kingdom
Chapter 31: The Hot And The Cold Are Both So Intense
Chapter 32: Beauty And Majesty Shining Magically
Chapter 33: Away We Go!
Chapter 34: The One Where We Get Trapped Inside It’s A Small World
Chapter 35: All Our Wishes Will Come True

July 11

Chapter 36: How About Some Backstage Passes?
Chapter 37: Oh, The Sky Will Be Blue, And You Guys Will Be There Too
Chapter 38: And A Sun Balm Of My Own Invention
Chapter 39: A Reunion With Characterpalooza
Chapter 40: Amidst The Glitz And Glitter

Chapter 41: Maybe Bean Could Set Off The Fireworks!

July 12

Chapter 42: Little Town, It's A Quiet Village
Chapter 43: The One Where Chipmunks Fall In Love With Me

Chapter 44: The End of My Solo Morning
Chapter 45: My Family's Day at AK
Chapter 46: The Circle of Life
Chapter 47: 1900 Park Fare
Chapter 48: A Party In A Dress

July 13

Chapter 49: The Least Magical Update
Chapter 50: Merch Roundup and Final Thoughts

Last edited:
It looks like you had a mostly awesome time! Any time I've been at a show that had the ASL translators I've paid more attention to them than the show. I know a little bit of sign language, and taught it to my young sons. It especially came in handy with my oldest because he is speech delayed.

I can't wait to read more updates!

:woohoo: I am SO excited to read about this trip!!! I am definitely along for the ride, Courtney! :goodvibes

YAY! You finally posted! I'm most definitely in! :mickeyjum

Your dad has fabulous taste in princesses btw. Tiana is QUEEN. :lovestruc

I'm totally in! Mostly for all your dad's photo bombs, but for all other good times too ;)

joining! Sounds like a, well, magical trip! ... so, did Cinderella give him her number? ;)

We're not even home for a week and I already didn't remember saying that!! Can't wait to relive it all through your eyes.

I'm in! I went to Disney for my Sweet 16, too (I won't say how many years ago that was now). Looking forward to your adventure with your family!

I'm in :) I have been reading a bunch of TR to get tips for my trip next fall!! I haven't been to wdw since '98 and my husband has never been. my parents are coming too so it should be a great time . :banana:

I'm really looking forward to reading your trip report. :goodvibes You do a good job writing them and having the Frozen activities and a "newbie" traveler with you will be fun, too. :)

I lurked on your other trip reports and I loved them! I'm looking forward to reading this one, too, and perhaps actually commenting!

It looks like you had a mostly awesome time! Any time I've been at a show that had the ASL translators I've paid more attention to them than the show. I know a little bit of sign language, and taught it to my young sons. It especially came in handy with my oldest because he is speech delayed.

I can't wait to read more updates!

Welcome and thank you for being my first comment! The ASL translators are so amazing. They're incredibly talented at what they do and they are so kind to my family and me!

:woohoo: I am SO excited to read about this trip!!! I am definitely along for the ride, Courtney! :goodvibes

YAY! Welcome aboard, Roni!

YAY! You finally posted! I'm most definitely in! :mickeyjum

Your dad has fabulous taste in princesses btw. Tiana is QUEEN. :lovestruc

Hi Timmy! Welcome and thanks so much for joining in!

Tiana is incredible. One of my absolute faves.

I'm totally in! Mostly for all your dad's photo bombs, but for all other good times too ;)

Oh just you wait, more photobombs are inevitable :rotfl: thanks so much for joining in, Maddie!

AHHH!!! I AM HERE AND SO EXCITED!!! Okay, now let me go back and read... Lol

HOLLYE! Thanks for joining in! I'm so glad you're here!

joining! Sounds like a, well, magical trip! ... so, did Cinderella give him her number? ;)

Thanks for joining! And no, unfortunately :( She claimed not to have a phone at the castle...no love for Uncle Fungus.

We're not even home for a week and I already didn't remember saying that!! Can't wait to relive it all through your eyes.

Hehe, I'm always listening...say that like Roz! I'm sure you'll fill in when I forget things, though.

I'm joining in on this fun filled TR.

Welcome and thanks for joining in!

I'm in! I went to Disney for my Sweet 16, too (I won't say how many years ago that was now). Looking forward to your adventure with your family!

That's awesome! I wish I had done it for my Sweet 16. Thanks for joining in!

I'm in :) I have been reading a bunch of TR to get tips for my trip next fall!! I haven't been to wdw since '98 and my husband has never been. my parents are coming too so it should be a great time . :banana:

Welcome! That sounds like an awesome trip, there will be so many new things for both you and your husband to try! Let me know if you have any questions :goodvibes

I'm really looking forward to reading your trip report. :goodvibes You do a good job writing them and having the Frozen activities and a "newbie" traveler with you will be fun, too. :)

Thank you so much, Sue! Glad to have you on board again!

I lurked on your other trip reports and I loved them! I'm looking forward to reading this one, too, and perhaps actually commenting!

Yay! Thank you for reading along and I hope you comment every once in a while :goodvibes

Chapter 1: It’s Agony To Wait

For my Sweet 16, I had an ‘80s themed party at the Knights of Columbus. If I had known I could get a Disney trip out of it, I may have changed my mind…

Kylie’s had this idea of going to Disney for her Sweet 16 for years now, and this trip has been on our radar for well over a year. So it was a much anticipated day!

I tore the last countdown ring off my princess countdown. Here’s what it looked like early on in the process. Pretty cute, though traumatizing when we’d get to the last ring on the chain. Having just Belle’s head on your door doesn’t scream magic and wonder.

14664787746_a828e62fe5_c.jpg

14687795265_66f859106d_c.jpg

A few pre-trip preparations: I did a Frozen manicure with some nail decals I got off Etsy:

14663207356_6141eb9450_c.jpg

We also sorted through our pins. Kylie actually found this one and gave it to me because she knows I dream of working for Parades and Spectaculars at Disney. She’s a sweetie when she wants to be.

14685915742_4dbba2f57e_c.jpg

We left the house around 6 a.m. and drove to the airport. We parked in long-term parking and took the shuttle to the terminal. We had planned to check our luggage inside because you have to pay to check it outside, but then:

14499561879_2d96ec2e3a_c.jpg

I’m not sure this picture expresses the magnitude of this line, but it wrapped around several times and then went out the door. We had failed to get a FP+ for this attraction. So we decided to suck it up and pay to check our luggage at the curb. It ended up only taking about 10 minutes, much shorter than if we had waited, so it was worth it.

We got through security pretty quickly (though Kylie was pulled aside for a patdown because she had gemstones on her shorts that set off the metal detector…) and found our gate. The family got Dunkin’ Donuts while I got a Frappuccino and a chocolate croissant from $bux. I call it that because they take all my $$$.

We were just chilling at the gate, getting excited, when my mom got a text from JetBlue that our flight was delayed an hour. The JetBlue people made an announcement that our plane was having technical troubles and they had to find us a new plane. Not a good start.

I still was in high spirits, but the other two showed signs of displeasure. Also note my Carousel of Progress shirt. 50 YEARS OF PROGRESS!

14500893838_d6ab9d15c0_c.jpg

We had to move gates, and then they delayed our flight another half hour. Eventually the new boarding time rolled around and there still was no plane. We got some food at Johnny Rocket's since we wouldn't be landing until well after lunch.

We were getting impatient. Kids were crying. I felt their pain. I tweeted JetBlue to ask for free movies and cocktails for our troubles, and they replied that we’d be leaving soon (they did end up giving us free movies, so you’re welcome, fellow flyers).

FINALLY, a plane showed up for us!!!

14500878349_d048a91b16_c.jpg

Almost three hours after our original departure time, we were in the air! I sat next to a lovely teacher who was going to Orlando for a conference. She was very chatty and friendly.

JetBlue has TVs at each seat, so I watched an episode of Food Network Star and a few episodes of Rewrapped. Mmmm Twinkies.

Our landing was the bumpiest landing I’ve ever had, but it was okay because we were in ORLANDOOOOOOOO!!! WE ARE SO EXCITED!!!!

14683825604_4661d35acc_c.jpg

We hopped on the fake-o-rail while explaining the name to Emily.

14663207146_d9a14afa61_c.jpg

Then we had to part ways. My mom picked up the minivan she’d rented for the week, but since we wanted Em to have the fully immersive Disney experience, we hopped on the Magical Express! We boarded and left pretty much immediately.

14683834334_4ddde8950c_c.jpg

I liked the video a little better this time. Stacey should really host it, but whatever.

14683031201_62802f9c0b_c.jpg

THE GATES OF HEAVEN!!! Excuse the horrible quality picture. I was pretty far back and also excited.

14706100663_f160b8f868_c.jpg

Hiii Art of Animation.

14499570289_53dd0c34e4_c.jpg

14683833724_99d86a65fd_c.jpg

Finally we got to Pop, and my mom was only a few minutes behind us!

14499761687_8daabcd928_c.jpg

14499761307_abe79c97fd_c.jpg

14683832964_a69b71aeb1_c.jpg

Contined in next post

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter