There's Always Too Much Sauce - A July 2022 TR *Updated 3/23

I heard the same about Guardians and I skipped the ride. Jeff went on it and he liked it but it wasn't his favorite. He is glad he did it but not one he would fight to get on.

It is nice to be able to look back at where you started to where you are now. Our first trip on our own (my dad took us on our first trip) we only did 5 days, did free dining and stayed at All Star Music and this last trip was the Swan.

Oh, Guardians. I love it, but why oh why does it have to spin so much? I haven't done it back to back, and now won't attempt- I also can't do RnR twice.

And YES- we must plan a mutual friend trip! <3

I haven't done Guardians yet (on my list for April). But now I'm nervous. Where does it rate on the spinning scale for Mission Space Orange? Because that one, I can't do but Teacups, I'm fine.

Not going to lie, I was underwhelmed with my dish. Nothing tasted bad or wasn’t cooked right, I just think this restaurant specializes in the endless platters and gets distracted with other menu items.
Your dish looks totally unappealing. Did they just lay a slice of pepper jack on top of the eggs and call it a day?
When Alex ordered more biscuits and bacon, he served a plate of grease with his food. It’s hard to tell in this picture, but the bacon was submerged in the grease:
I can see it...double ugh!
Alex and I have stayed at the Polynesian, at Animal Kingdom Lodge, at the Contemporary before. Surely, SURELY, we knew what we were getting into with the Wilderness Lodge.

Not at all.

Being at the WL is the calm needed during a Disney storm. Its tranquility is the perfect antidote to the sensory overload of the parks.::yes::
So happy you loved it! It really is such an oasis. :goodvibes
Out of nowhere, Meeko, Smee, and Rafiki appeared in the lobby for meet and greets!
Love that!!
Disney magic working at its best.:lovestruc
❤️
Earlier that morning, Alex had purchased an ILL and gotten in the VQ for Guardians, and our VQ had finally come available.

I was really, really nervous about riding this attraction. All the stories of people who normally don’t get motion sick getting beat up by this ride were messing with my head. I took Bonine beforehand and made sure I had crackers in my bag for afterwards; I was antsy to get it over with.
Uh oh! I am sorry to hear it didn't go well. It'a very intense ride to do back to back your first time experiencing it.
Alex loved Guardians. He said it was his favorite WDW attraction, and that opinion still holds true after our most recent trip.
I feel the same as Alex.
With a whopping two attractions accomplished that day, I was done with rides. From that point on, Alex and I spent the rest of the evening strolling around the World Showcase. We began in Mexico and stopped at Norway for two of our favorite Epcot snacks:
Love those snacks!
That being said, I’m not shedding any tears that it’s gone and we’re getting Luminious. Any show that plays You’ll Be in my Heart earns brownie points in my book. (This was the lullaby I sang to the kids when they were newborns falling asleep.)
Awwww, so lovely!
We went to bed that night full of gratitude and appreciation for the opportunities given to us.
A grateful heart is the best. :goodvibes

Oh man, I love Guardians, but back to back would be tough, especially in the summer heat!

We love walking back from Epcot on Crescent Lake. I know the monorail loop gets the most love, but being completely in control of your exit without waiting for any sort of Disney transport is so amazing at the end of the night.

Your enjoyment of WL is getting me so excited. I hope our stay is at least half as good as yours.

I hope you have a wonderful time at WL! I think with all the holiday decorations up, it's going to be a magical experience. :goodvibes

You're braver than me for trying GOTG twice. I've done it one and I'm still trying to talk myself into giving it another shot.

I definitely won't make that mistake again. Honestly, it's probably going to be a long time before I brave GotG again.

Sometimes you get to feeling so lucky to be who you are, where you are and with the person you want to be with and it hits you just how grateful you are for the life you’re living. I’m so happy for you and Alex that your day ended with you feeling this way :goodvibes

I feel like when I'm on a Disney vacation, I always feel extra grateful for what I have. I think because I know for so many, Disney is a pipe dream, that I understand I'm experiencing a gift. I felt the same way whenever we traveled and explored in Europe.

I heard the same about Guardians and I skipped the ride.

You made the right call. :rotfl2:

Our first trip on our own (my dad took us on our first trip) we only did 5 days, did free dining and stayed at All Star Music and this last trip was the Swan.

It can be really fulfilling to think about how much has changed and how your life has progressed. Makes us appreciate what we have.

Oh, Guardians. I love it, but why oh why does it have to spin so much? I haven't done it back to back, and now won't attempt- I also can't do RnR twice.

And YES- we must plan a mutual friend trip! <3

Guardians is such a smooth ride with a great preshow and music track, but all that spinning isolates it from a lot of guests!

I remember visiting DLP with our friend and thinking how easily we got along and toured the parks. I'm sure it'd be the same with us at WDW!

I haven't done Guardians yet (on my list for April). But now I'm nervous. Where does it rate on the spinning scale for Mission Space Orange? Because that one, I can't do but Teacups, I'm fine.

It's been a long, long time since I rode Mission Space so I'm trying to remember. Did you ever experience Primeval Whirl? I'd compare it to that.

Your dish looks totally unappealing. Did they just lay a slice of pepper jack on top of the eggs and call it a day?

Yes! When I saw that cheese slice I remember going, "Really?" I'm hoping it was just an off morning for Whispering Canyon.

Uh oh! I am sorry to hear it didn't go well. It'a very intense ride to do back to back your first time experiencing it.

I've never experienced a ride at WDW that I couldn't do, so I was in a little bit of denial that Guardians got to me. I've since learned my lesson. :laughing:

Oh man, I love Guardians, but back to back would be tough, especially in the summer heat!

I think the excitement over getting two turns on GotG plus the adrenaline from the first ride messed with my head. I don't know what I was thinking. Never again, though.

We love walking back from Epcot on Crescent Lake. I know the monorail loop gets the most love, but being completely in control of your exit

That's a very good point. Not relying on transportation is so freeing, especially at Disney where every little details has to be mapped out and coordinated.

July 21st Part 1:

I don’t know about you all, but when it is the last day of a Disney vacation, my family goes into panic mode.

WE HAVE TO DO IT ALL ONE MORE TIME!

WE MUST SEE EVERYTHING AGAIN!

No relaxing final day for us, no sir.

We are grasping at every last minute, feeling the need to soak up all the sights, sounds, and smells of the theme parks before returning to reality.
No matter how tired we are, we muster up the energy to go hard on our last day.

Except in the photo department.

Who has time for pictures when the clock is ticking down?! ::yes::

Because Alex and I knew we were leaving the following morning, and we had no idea when this kid free opportunity was going to present itself again, the two of us planned a big day.

Beginning at
Islands of Adventure.

We tried to hop in line for Hagrid’s the minute the park opened, but the wait time began at 3 hours, and I was not up for that.

So how about Velocicoaster?

Oh goodness.

1034.JPG

I’m still not sure how I convinced myself to ride this coaster. I think it was because I knew Alex really wanted to go on it again, but he wasn’t willing to waste the 45 minutes in line by himself.

Waiting in the queue, we met a nice mom and daughter. The daughter was the same size as Landon, and she had been on the attraction four times already. She was telling me that if she could do it, then I’d be fine.

Well, I couldn’t embarrass myself in front of a kid.
:rotfl2:
No chickening out!

1038.JPG

The raptor animatronics were fantastic, and I loved the Jurassic Park touches throughout the line, like the Ian Malcom book.

I wish I could tell you how my experience on Velicoaster went, but I do not remember much of it. Between the adrenaline, the fear, and the shock I was going through with it, my mind wiped out the memory.

I remember it was the most intense ride I’d ever been on before. I remember hating the part when you climb to the top. And I remember thinking the corkscrew at the end (over the water) was really, really long.

I walked off shaking, and when Alex asked what I thought, I promptly said:

“I need a butterbeer.”
:rotfl:

Nothing calms the nerves like sugar in a theme park, am I right?

The two of us got in line at the Three Broomsticks for a light lunch and drinks, but as soon as we got there the power on all the registers shut off and they couldn’t let anybody inside. I wasn’t in a hurry to do anything else, so we waited around fifteen minutes and finally the system came back online.

It did create a long backlog of orders, though, so it took a long time to get our food.

No worries.

I had Butterbeer and air conditioning. I was happy.

1041.JPG

While we were at Universal, Alex was busy stacking Genie Plus reservations for later in the day. We had a pretty good spread:

1043.PNG

Remember: Last day panic.

I was looking forward to seeing whether we could manage it all.

After lunch, Alex and I got in line for Hagrid’s. It was about an hour and fifteen minute wait, but it was worth it. I loved it as much as the first two times.

By the time we got off the attraction, it was nearing two o’clock, and Alex and I knew we needed to head back to Disney property.

We’d accomplished Velicoaster, Hagrid’s, and had Butterbeer. The best three things in Universal, in my opinion.

On the way out, Alex suggested we grab a snack at Voodoo Donuts.

Don’t mind if I do.

Hot and sweaty, but sugary goodness in hand, the two of us made the unshaded stroll back to the parking garage. Our car and its air conditioning was almost in sight. Hallelujah.

“Uh oh.”

Alex had paused right next to the first set of escalators in the garage.

I turned around and he was frantically patting his pockets.

“What do you mean, ‘uh oh’?”

Alex looked up at me, sheer panic on his face.

“What?”

“I can’t find the keys.”

My head took several seconds to compute what I’d just heard.

“What do you mean?”

“The car keys aren’t in my pocket!”

Alex unhooked our park bag and dumped everything on the ground, emptied all his pockets, separated each item to make sure nothing was hidden.

No keys.

“I think I left them on Velocicoaster.”

Friends, when I tell you this was not a good moment, I am quite serious.

Alex ditched everything but his phone and took off back into the park. If you’re familiar with the layout of Universal, you know that to get from the parking garage to Velocicoaster you have to go through CityWalk, through Seuss Landing, and around the lake.

It was a hike.

At almost three in the afternoon.

In July.

After trekking around the park all morning.

Full of fear.

I stayed in the garage with the donuts…

Trying to think of what we were going to do if the keys weren’t at the attraction. Alex was almost positive that’s where they got left.

But you never know.

Oh dear.

After twenty minutes, I got a text from Alex.

“On my way back.”

On your way?! With the keys? Without them?! Give me an answer here!

“Got them.”

My goodness.

The keys were, indeed, left in the locker at Velocicoaster. I’m not sure if another guest turned them in or if a Team Member noticed them, but either way, they were received and held at the attraction.

Thank the stars above!:worship::worship:

I do not recommend anyone leave their belongings in an attraction locker. Take it from us.

It’s not a fun experience.

Up Next: Don’t Come Home Without That Stuffie

I’m still not sure how I convinced myself to ride this coaster. I think it was because I knew Alex really wanted to go on it again, but he wasn’t willing to waste the 45 minutes in line by himself.

So much braver than me. My younger self might have tried it, but my older self says "no way".

Nothing calms the nerves like sugar in a theme park, am I right?

This is true.

I had Butterbeer and air conditioning. I was happy.

Great combination.

“I can’t find the keys.”

:scared1:

Worst feeling.

I do not recommend anyone leave their belongings in an attraction locker. Take it from us.

You do know how to make a trip interesting. It's real life roller coaster.

Whew! Between velociocoaster thrills and real life lost key frights your earned those sugary sweet donuts big time!
Glad you got them back and yes I think you made the best decision to mind those donuts and keep them safe though if it’d been me I’d likely have eaten them both while anxiously waiting in news from Alex.
Big sighs of relief all round I’m sure!
Did you make it to HS?

Last edited:
Finally caught up! I love your TR's. Even with some drama, I know you were loving your couples time at the parks. The WL is definitely my favorite resort. We've also stayed in Ft. Wilderness cabins. They too give you the vibe that you're camping in the woods and not at a theme park. Even if the Swan doesn't have the same atmosphere it would be wonderful to walk to 2 parks. The keys - yikes! I hope you were able to put it behind you quickly and it didn't ruin your last day!

Wow, I’m impressed you did Velocicoaster and Hagrid’s in the same day! I always need a butter beer after Hagrid’s ride!
I know I could never do Velocicoaster without a million dollar prize waiting for me at the end :rotfl:

im so glad Alex found the keys! That sounds like my money incident only a better ending!

I love stacking Genie for the evening.

We are grasping at every last minute, feeling the need to soak up all the sights, sounds, and smells of the theme parks before returning to reality.
I have to do my favourite things on my last day. That way I leave with the best memories. :)
Waiting in the queue, we met a nice mom and daughter. The daughter was the same size as Landon, and she had been on the attraction four times already. She was telling me that if she could do it, then I’d be fine.
That is one scary roller coaster! Good for you for doing it!
The keys were, indeed, left in the locker at Velocicoaster. I’m not sure if another guest turned them in or if a Team Member noticed them, but either way, they were received and held at the attraction.
Oh my goodness, I would have been freaking out!

Looking forward to hearing about your HS evening. You definitely had a great lineup planned!

So much braver than me. My younger self might have tried it, but my older self says "no way".

I have had a conversation with Alex that we need to tackle Universal and Seaworld when the kids are young teenagers, because here before too long I'm going to be done with big coasters. They get worse for me every year. :rotfl2:

Great combination.

One day I'd like to visit when it's cold out to see what it's like walking around with a warm butterbeer on a chilly day.

You do know how to make a trip interesting. It's real life roller coaster.

I was relieved it was Alex that made the mistake. Normally, it's me. :rotfl:

Whew! Between velociocoaster thrills and real life lost key frights your earned those sugary sweet donuts big time!
Glad you got them back and yes I think you made the best decision to mind those donuts and keep them safe though if it’d been me I’d likely have eaten them both while anxiously waiting in news from Alex.

I still cannot believe that happened. Definitely ranks number 1 on mistakes made while on vacation.

Thanks so much for posting. I enjoyed reading this today!

Thank you so much for reading!

Finally caught up! I love your TR's. Even with some drama, I know you were loving your couples time at the parks. The WL is definitely my favorite resort. We've also stayed in Ft. Wilderness cabins. They too give you the vibe that you're camping in the woods and not at a theme park. Even if the Swan doesn't have the same atmosphere it would be wonderful to walk to 2 parks. The keys - yikes! I hope you were able to put it behind you quickly and it didn't ruin your last day!

Thank you. :goodvibes Alex and I were very appreciative of having a kid-free trip. Circumstances change, and we have no idea if we'll get that again before the kids grow up, so it means a lot to us.
I have only seen Ft. Wilderness from the bus stop, but it looks like a laid-back, tranquil resort. Alex and I talked about RVing there one day, and I could see us not even wanting to leave the resort if we did that.

I always need a butter beer after Hagrid’s ride!

Hagrid's and Butterbeer is the best combination.

im so glad Alex found the keys! That sounds like my money incident only a better ending!

While Alex was off looking for the keys, I kept thinking about how awful it would be to have to call the rental car company and tell them we lost the keys. So glad that didn't have to happen!

I have to do my favourite things on my last day. That way I leave with the best memories.

That's a great way to look at it. Last summer, the kids made a challenge on our last day, and I think it is the memory that stands out the most for them. They left with it fresh on their minds.

Oh my goodness, I would have been freaking out!

I still cannot believe that happened. You should have seen us at the Tron lockers last summer, though. We were sweeping every corner of that metal box! :rotfl:

July 21st Part 2:

With the fiasco of losing our car keys, Alex and I got back to the Swan later than planned. The adrenaline and panic of the situation, combined with the fact that we had to pack up our bags and get ready for a nice dinner reservation meant we were flagging.

It was looking like all our plans for a busy Hollywood Studios night were going to fizzle out.

(Don’t worry, this was back when Genie Plus was included in our military tickets, so we hadn’t woken up that morning and spent 20+ dollars each for the passes. Had we done that, we would have been powering through!)

Before we could worry about what we would and would not accomplish at DHS, the two of us had a new meal to get to!

This required us to take the Skyliner:

1046.JPG

This mode of transportation isn’t my favorite, but I can agree it’s fast and efficient. It’s made that area of the resort so much more accessible.

Alex and I were going to the
Riveria Resort this evening.

I love the Rapunzel mural, but Peter Panis my favorite.

1047.JPG

I see Peter Pan and I see my little boy, watching the film over and over again on sick days and long car rides. :lovestruc

Back when planning this trip, I was successful in booking all the dining reservations I wanted.

Save one.

And my amazing husband…he knew how disappointed I was and so he kept an eye out for an opening. And one night we were sitting on the couch when he casually said, “Go open your emails, Alicia.”

And there in my inbox was a confirmation for Toppolino’s Terrace.
:worship:

I love that guy.

The inter webs had done nothing but rave about this restaurant, and I was really looking forward to giving it a try.

For our appetizers, Alex ordered the gnocchi, and I got this beauty:

1050.JPG

Ricotta. Bread. Tomatoes.

Heaven on a plate.:rotfl:

And the olive oil!

I cannot forget that delicious piece of the dish.

If you’re a fan of any of those items I just listed, then this appetizer is a must try. I almost wish I hadn’t ordered a main, because I ate every last bite of the bread.

But somehow I found a way to make it through.

Alex got the filet. I got the rigatoni.

1053.JPG

My food was good, but I’ve since had it again and my second experience was lightyears better. I’m glad my first time was an off night, because I was blown away the second go round.

Aside from the amazing food, the only other notable thing that happened at dinner was our server bugged me a little. When he came by at the end of our meal to ask if we wanted dessert, I turned to him and said, “No thank you, but could I get the check, please?”

Emphasis on the
I.

A minute or two later and our server returned. And handed Alex the bill.

Eh.
Okay.

I put my card in, place the bill right next to my plate, and waited until he came back to grab the items.

And when he returned…

He gave the book back to Alex.
:rolleyes:

I know this might not be a big deal to anyone else, and in the end it didn’t matter because Alex’s and I’s money is shared. But I couldn’t help but imagine the awkwardness that might have ensued if two people were on a date or it was two friends or even a business meal.

I feel like the person who asked for the check should be handed it.

Did I overreact? Or do you all agree?

The incident didn’t stay with me or interrupt my evening, I just remembered it while writing this update and felt it worth asking.

After Alex and I were done, we knew we had to step outside on the balcony and see the infamous views from the restaurant.

1056.JPG

1060.JPG

Again, the hype was worth the experience.::yes:: I loved seeing the colorful building of the Caribbean Beach Resort and the Skyliner crawling along and the Epcot globe in the distance.

If it weren’t a thousand degrees outside, I could have sat out there for a long while.

But alas.

It was hot.

July was besting me again.

And the long day was catching up to me.

“I’m not sure I have the energy to go to Hollywood Studios, Alex.”

“Nonsense. You just need some caffeine.”

I’ll never pass up the opportunity to get a coffee. Especially a cold brew.

Good thing we were near Le Petit Café, home of the DIS famous almond cold brew.

1062.JPG

And you know what?

Social media was two for two this night.

This cold brew wasn’t overly sweet, like I was afraid it would be, and the honey infused whipped topping gave it a nice flavor.

It was the perfect pick me up for Alex and I to enjoy on our way to Hollywood Studios.

Once inside the park, I realized we were running low on time. We only had about an hour and a half left before closing time, so the two of us needed to decide what attraction we wanted to be our final ride and focus on that.

But first!

Ever since she left Disney, Evie was having major regret over not getting a Rey doll she saw in Galaxy’s Edge. She begged us on FaceTime almost every time we talked to her to use her allowance and grab her one.

Did it matter that they had already acquired ten thousand stuffies this trip?

:rolleyes2

Please.

None of those new stuffies were Rey!

So off Alex and I went, past Baseline Taphouse, where I realized I’d missed going again. Why do I have so many places I want to try and yet never seem to get to?!

The entire walk over, Alex and I kept marveling at how nice DHS has gotten with all the expansions and additions, and we were fighting off the last day blues. As far as we knew, this was the last time we would be at Disney together for a few years. We thought for sure we were going to be moving somewhere in the north or northwest, with no time for a family visit to Florida. Far as we were concerned, these last few weeks were our placeholder to get us through the next few years.

I mean, I knew I would be back in April, so I wasn’t as sad as Alex.

But I still hated to be winding down my time with Alex at the parks. It’s always tough knowing you’re leaving a vacation and going back to reality.

And the parks at night are something special.

Inside Galaxy’s Edge, we found Evie her treasure.

And if we pick up something for one kid, then we have to get something for the other one:

1063.JPG

Purchase made, there was one thing left to do.

One last ride!

What did I pick?

1065.JPG

I love Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway, and I felt it very fitting to have our last attraction of the trip be with the original characters of the Disney company.

I think I made the right choice.

After we got off the ride, it was time to make our way back to the Swan. We took a Friendship boat since we weren’t in a hurry.

Little did I know that Alex had a hankering for something sweet and convinced me to hop off at the Beach Club.

My husband had heard about being able to order a
No Way Jose at the Beaches and Cream to-go window, and he needed to test this theory out himself.

The line to order was outrageous, but he stuck it out, and we ended with:

1066.JPG

A thing of beauty.:rotfl:

Chocolate and vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, chocolate and peanut butter chips, and peanut butter sauce. All for 14 dollars. Easily one of the best treat deals on property.

Alex and I couldn’t finish the whole thing.

But what a way to end the night.

Please don’t add up all the treats we had this day.:eek:

It was too many. Looking back now, I’m shocked at my sugar intake.

Vacation splurges, right?

Up Next: What’s One More Stuffy at this Point? We Already Need an Extra Bag

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter