There's Always Too Much Sauce - A July 2022 TR *Updated 3/23

That was an awesome 10K. You did a great job. I was on the edge of my seat waiting to hear how you did.

Apologies if this is too much information, friends, but when I have to pee when I’m running, I have to stop and go. There’s no holding it until the end of my run.
That is amazing you got your time! Give yourself a pat on the back for the awesome will power! Congrats!

I know this all too well! I have a nervous bladder, mean just simply being nervous makes me have to pee. It is always just before the start of a race too. When I ran Boston in 2017 I was having the race of my life (for a fellow slow poke), I was on a PR pace for the first half, then at mile 8 my stomach betrayed me and I ended up doing the port-a-potty dash from miles 8 to 23! I was ducking from medics because if they heard me I would have been pulled out of the race. Runners are not smart.......well maybe I'm not smart lol. However my mind was crystal clear the whole time, I ran into a friend I had been meaning to email around mile 22 and she could not believe that I had been thinking about emailing her while running, I laughed and said, Ive been alone with my brain for 22 miles, we don't have much left to talk about. Needless to say, thanks to my port-a-potty party, I missed a qualifying finishing time by TWELVE minutes! I was so mad, but also didnt care because I KNEW I finished, I ran all 26.2 on an 86* day in Boston in April (average high low 50s)
runDisney sent out a heat advisory warning for the 10-Miler
We got these two days before I ran the Boston Marathon. I panicked and went to Kohls and got a visor to replace my hat and a cooling towel. I tucked it into my sports bra straps and let it go down my back. Made a HUGE difference in my run.

The night humbled me.

I was confident about the races going into them. I didn’t think anything could mess with me, psychologically, but dang if I was wrong.

It was a rough night.

My watch didn’t even record me as having slept at all!

Yikes.

I guess ready or not, no matter the temperature, it was time to run 10 miles.
OMG! This is great, so totally on the edge of my seat.... Who can't relate to middle of the night anxiety that you can't manage to turn off... and after all that work! Can absolutely see this happening to me 😉 Major congratulations on the first two races- you did really really great! Loving your trip report... following!

Great update! I felt like I was there. Happy for you that you made your time. I can totally relate to the anxiety no-sleep. Ugh. Anxious to read about race #3. You've done great so far!

You made your goal!!! I know how wonderful that must have felt. Congrats!!!!!! And what is it about Disney races that require a cheeseburger. Both times I did a RunDisney race - I had to have a cheeseburger for dinner that night. But this was before Steakhouse 71 so it was always Splitsville. A cheeseburger, fries, and a pina colada were the celebration meals for both the 10K and the Half.

But doing the 10 miler without sleep??? I've got my fingers crossed for you, virtual friend. And I know the race is long past, but I'm sending out good thoughts anyway.

Talk about the highs and lows of your race preparation.

It was such a high to read about the 10K. You did so great and celebrated in Disney style.

I'm feeling your anxiety for the heat on the next race. I hope it turned out better. I'm pretty sure it did since we saw you after all the races.

Wow the 5K looks like so much fun! I would love that except for the corrals, cost, and registration :rotfl:
I can enjoy reading all about it!
Great 10K and glad you got the time you wanted!
I had to change our April dates for one of my sisters.
We will be going 4/28-5/4 now so I will miss you and @vamassey1 bummer!

There’s a little voice in my head going, “But what if you want to go back and read about this vacation?”
I half write these reports for that reason. I have thought about a good way to transfer the trip reports into another form for posperty. I haven't figured that out just yet.

Realistically, this might have been the last time my mom visits Walt Disney World.
That has to be hard to say. How is she doing? I had alwasys dreamed of gettting my parents to come down. My dad loved to camp and I alwasys wanted to get him to stay and fort wilderness, I know he would have loved it and been so suprised that it was there. But life had other plans. Cancer does truely suck!

Honestly, I think it’s the thing she’s using to get her through the recovery. Every time she has to get up and walk her laps, she tells me she thinking about getting to spend time with her grandkids is her motivation.
Glad to hear she is doing well. I know that all of that news must have been AWFUL!

This wasn’t the first time I’d left them, but it was the first time I was going somewhere they wanted to go, too. I have no doubt jealousy was driving their clinginess.
Morgan and Gwen were not happy the first time Andy and I went by ourselves. We unfortantly won't be going by ourselves for awhile.

I went and got myself some salt and vinegar chips and a Cadbury chocolate bar.

It was the perfect brunch.:laughing:
Love it! Treat your self!!!

Who else feels like they’ve arrived when they’re riding the Fake-O Rail and hear, “Hi, I’m Buddy Dyer.” All while smelling the moldy carpet and feeling the bright Florida sun on their skin?
ME! Us for sure.

And rather than put us right back in another room, they had us all get back in line. The hallway with the pipes, where they count people for the first pre-show?

Yeah. All the way back there
What!?! that is crazy!! That is a long time to re-wait!!!

On one hand, I understand that if they let us right into another theater then it would mess up all the other rooms waiting in the preshows. But dang. Having to go through another thirty minutes of waiting and then watching the shows again kind of stunk.
No that is not ok! FOP is starting to feel stale to us. I hope they refurb is soon.

(Poor Evie hates it because she’s always at the end of lines at school. When I was in elementary school, I swore I was going to marry someone with the last name of H or M, so this end of the line nonsense would stop. And then I went and moved even farther back.:rotfl2:)
I had the same thoughts!!! I was short and at the end of the alphabet. I totally was like I am going to marry someone in the begining of the alphabet. Yup sended up in the exact same spot... S.... sigh

I wish I could have seen Over California when it came back for a few weeks last year. I find it a superior video (not even counting the curved buildings).
Soooo, I don't like Over California... I was so excitied to see it and was underwhelmed....

Eventually, the corrals were opened and everyone filtered through to their correct placement. Anyone who is not familiar with races, this meant another hour or so of sitting and standing around.
All of the pre stuff is what holds me from doing a race. I of course would only be the 5K but I would love to do one one time. But the early wake up time and the standing around.

I know ABC Commissary isn’t the cream of the crop for Disney food, especially when you compare it to Satuli Canteen, but I really love their pork tacos.
I think it has gotten better and I have to say your picture looks pretty good!

The cookie was good, it was very much like an oatmeal crème pie, but it was way too much for my mom and me. This would have been much better if Alex and the kids were with us to share.
We have split that thing 4 ways! It's huge!

The weather was beautiful, and my mom and I spent a lot of time outside, chatting and watching the happenings of others.
Sounds like a perfect aftternoon. Just enjoying each other.

We watched you, Mom!” (There’s a runner tracking page.) “We saw you were going fast!”
That is so cute. I love that they were so happy for you!

When my mom and I got to the bakehouse, we had to join the virtual queue and wait 4 hours for our callback.
Ugh!!! The only think going for that, is you can go do other things. It's not like you have to stand there. Did it end up being the full 4 hours?

My primary focus was to obtain the Peanut Butter Chocolate cake, my favorite Disney dessert. But I also had to grab a cold brew, too:
I can't wait to try more of the cakes!!!

My mom convinced me to buy a second one and save it for the following morning.

My mom was a genius!:laughing:
Moms are so smart!

That was an awesome 10K. You did a great job. I was on the edge of my seat waiting to hear how you did.

Thanks. After I got the time I wanted, I definitely felt like all my training was worth it. I was in such a great mood the rest of the day.

:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :banana::banana::banana:
Way to go Alicia!!!

Thank you! :goodvibes

That is amazing you got your time!

As a fellow runner, I'm sure you can relate when I say that I was in the best mood ever the rest of that day. When people ask why I run I try to explain that there's nothing like that feeling of accomplishment that you carry with you after a good race.

When I ran Boston in 2017 I was having the race of my life (for a fellow slow poke), I was on a PR pace for the first half, then at mile 8 my stomach betrayed me and I ended up doing the port-a-potty dash from miles 8 to 23! I was ducking from medics because if they heard me I would have been pulled out of the race. Runners are not smart.......well maybe I'm not smart lol. However my mind was crystal clear the whole time, I ran into a friend I had been meaning to email around mile 22 and she could not believe that I had been thinking about emailing her while running, I laughed and said, Ive been alone with my brain for 22 miles, we don't have much left to talk about. Needless to say, thanks to my port-a-potty party, I missed a qualifying finishing time by TWELVE minutes! I was so mad, but also didnt care because I KNEW I finished, I ran all 26.2 on an 86* day in Boston in April

Oh my gosh, what an experience! I can't even imagine getting into Boston and then trying to handle the hurdles thrown your way, psychologically. And then the insane amount of emotions that must have hit you when you realized you finished in hard conditions but didn't hit your time goal. You definitely have one heck of a story!
And I completely understand what you mean about being sick of hearing yourself think after so many miles. :rotfl:

I tucked it into my sports bra straps and let it go down my back. Made a HUGE difference in my run.

This is a great tip! I'm going to bring my cooling towel down for the next SS to use!

OMG! This is great, so totally on the edge of my seat.... Who can't relate to middle of the night anxiety that you can't manage to turn off... and after all that work! Can absolutely see this happening to me 😉 Major congratulations on the first two races- you did really really great! Loving your trip report... following!

Thank you! And thanks for joining along. Why is it your brain wants to go into overdrive when it's really important to sleep?! Maybe one day I'll figure out the trick to turning off my brain when I need to the most.

Great update! I felt like I was there. Happy for you that you made your time. I can totally relate to the anxiety no-sleep. Ugh. Anxious to read about race #3. You've done great so far!

Thanks! Reaching my time goal was definitely the highlight of the trip for me. When the move became hectic and crazy, it was nice to have that accomplishment to think back on and remind me of something positive.

You made your goal!!! I know how wonderful that must have felt. Congrats!!!!!! And what is it about Disney races that require a cheeseburger. Both times I did a RunDisney race - I had to have a cheeseburger for dinner that night.

There really is no other feeling the rest of the day, knowing you hit that goal. I love that post-race good mood.
Cheeseburgers are the perfect post-race meal!!! :laughing: I'm not sure why, but I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who craves one after a race. It's what I ate after my DLP Half, too. There's something about that greasy, cheesy, burger with the carbs from the bread that tastes divine.

But doing the 10 miler without sleep??? I've got my fingers crossed for you, virtual friend. And I know the race is long past, but I'm sending out good thoughts anyway.

Aw, thank you!
I know my dining window for April is opening soon, has yours yet? If so, did you book anything? Hard to believe it's only 2 months away now.

It was such a high to read about the 10K. You did so great and celebrated in Disney style.

I'm feeling your anxiety for the heat on the next race. I hope it turned out better. I'm pretty sure it did since we saw you after all the races.

Thanks! I loved having my celebratory meal at Steakhouse 71. :rotfl2: Alex wants to go for breakfast this year after the 10K. I'm a little bummed I won't get the burger again, but at least it's still the restaurant I love. I'll take it.

Wow the 5K looks like so much fun! I would love that except for the corrals, cost, and registration :rotfl:

:laughing:Haha, I totally understand where you're coming from. You also forgot the 2 a.m. wakeup! Honestly, on the surface, when I tell people about the process to complete the race I do think to myself, "Why do I put myself through such an ordeal?" It does sound insane.

I had to change our April dates for one of my sisters.
We will be going 4/28-5/4 now so I will miss you and @vamassey1 bummer!

Aw, I'm sorry we won't get to see each other again, but I understand! Early May is always a wonderful time to visit, so I'm sure you all will have a great time. Plus, you won't have to deal with runDisney crowds and early morning road closures. Hopefully our paths will cross again in the future!

I half write these reports for that reason. I have thought about a good way to transfer the trip reports into another form for posperty. I haven't figured that out just yet.

I haven't either. I write them on a word document and save them, but it's not quite the same.

That has to be hard to say. How is she doing? I had alwasys dreamed of gettting my parents to come down. My dad loved to camp and I alwasys wanted to get him to stay and fort wilderness, I know he would have loved it and been so suprised that it was there. But life had other plans. Cancer does truely suck!

The other day my dad thought my mom was coming with me in April, not watching the kids, and she said she looked at him in horror and said, "Do Disney? Now?! I wouldn't make it two hours!" :laughing: So I'm still not sure she'll ever make it back, which is a bummer.
She's recovering well, though. Her last two appointments went well, and now she only has to be checked out every 4 months.

We unfortantly won't be going by ourselves for awhile.

It's hard not knowing when you'll get that time together again, but on the other hand, I feel like the older the kids get, the faster time flies. I mean, Morgan will be looking at colleges soon! You're going to blink and be empty nesters.
This April will probably be the last trip Alex and I take without the kids.

I had the same thoughts!!! I was short and at the end of the alphabet. I totally was like I am going to marry someone in the begining of the alphabet. Yup sended up in the exact same spot... S.... sigh

It comes as a relief to me that other people had this same hope. :laughing:

Soooo, I don't like Over California... I was so excitied to see it and was underwhelmed

I wonder if the reason I enjoy that version is the nostalgia factor. It was the first version I saw on my first trip to WDW with Alex.

All of the pre stuff is what holds me from doing a race. I of course would only be the 5K but I would love to do one one time. But the early wake up time and the standing around.

The waiting around is really tough. They try and do a lot of stuff on stage and interviews, but you still can't help but think "It's sooooo early!"
I'm curious to see if having someone with me will help.

Did it end up being the full 4 hours?

It did! I was really hoping the time was exaggerated but nope.

I can't wait to try more of the cakes!!!

I hope you can! The cakes are the best.

Wow, I was on the edge of my seat! Congrats on getting the time you wanted, what an accomplishment! Looks like so much fun (but a lot of hard work!)

Thank you! It really was so much fun. I was in the best mood the rest of the day. I'm reminding myself of those feelings as I train for this year's races and have to make it through my long training runs. :rotfl:

So for my 10K today, I was going to be running a tempo pace (meaning fast but still able to hold a conversation) and I really, really wanted to see a 1:25 time.

I knew completing the race would be an accomplishment in and of itself, but I also knew I would feel disappointed if I didn’t get the time I wanted. ::yes::

Therefore, I woke up this morning feeling very nervous and focused. The theme was Monsters Inc., my favorite Pixar film, and I think that added to my determination. I wanted to do well and have wonderful memories with my Monsters pals.
Love your vision and determination!
I became really excited by that point, because I’d watched so many videos and read so many reports over the years about this loop, and I was finally running it myself! It was a runDisney bucket list item for me that I was able to cross off.:goodvibes
Yay!
hopped on a bus, rested while it took runners to Fort Wilderness and then to the Wilderness Lodge.

The anticipation was killing me. How’d I do?!?!

Finally, I debarked and saw my mom standing at the entrance. She was smiling from ear to ear.

“Are you so proud of yourself?”

Well, yes. But tell me!!!

“You don’t know?”
Suspense building!!!!
Woohoo!!!!!!
I didn’t have a park ticket today, mainly because I knew if I did I would feel compelled to walk around the parks. And I was trying really hard to rest my legs and keep them fresh for my final run the following morning.

Instead, my mom and I headed to Disney Springs. There was only one thing that could top my lunch, and it just so happened that Saturday was the only day it was available at Gideon’s.

When my mom and I got to the bakehouse, we had to join the virtual queue and wait 4 hours for our callback.

Ouch!

That was the worst wait I’ve ever had.
Yikes to the long wait but sounds like a fun DS afternoon with your momma.
I guess ready or not, no matter the temperature, it was time to run 10 miles.
And you did it! Mission accomplished with flying colours!

Aw, thank you!
I know my dining window for April is opening soon, has yours yet? If so, did you book anything? Hard to believe it's only 2 months away now.
My window is open and ressies are made. I have an Oga's on Tuesday (my best traveling partner ALWAYS wants Ogas and who am I to argue??), Liberty Tree for the day after the wedding, and Steakhouse 71 for my birthday dinner. I saw that 1900 Park Faire is finally opening and I was going to stalk a breakfast reservation for that but I'm not thrilled with the change in characters. That restaurant was my favorite for Alice, Mad Hatter and Mary Poppins. Oh well. Change is good for some. And, that is going to save me some money!! (That I guarantee I will spend somewhere else on property) LOL.

As a fellow runner, I'm sure you can relate when I say that I was in the best mood ever the rest of that day. When people ask why I run I try to explain that there's nothing like that feeling of accomplishment that you carry with you after a good race.
100%! I have not done a race since 2018, I had spine surgery in 2019, then back to back pregnancies in 2020 and 2021 (on pelvic rest for both) and I miss it sooooo much! Runners high is REAL! What I love most is I am only competing really against ME. I am slowly trying to get back into it, but starting at 0 is such a mental block to overcome.
This is a great tip! I'm going to bring my cooling towel down for the next SS to use!
Game. Changer! Plus you can re-wet it at rest stops. What I like with the towel, verses pouring water on me, is I don't get my shoes wet. Helps prevent blisters!

Because I am not a runner, I'm always so in awe of the Run Disney events. So proud of you! What an accomplishment. Not being able to sleep is just the worst. I hope your next run went ok.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter