They still sell swords and light sabers.

cruisehopeful

DIS Veteran
I know you cannot bring in toy weapons, but I noticed that they still sell them and there are still kids walking around with them and swinging them all over the place. What is the actual policy? Do they just want you to have to buy it when you get there? Maybe they don't want to have to hold up the security lines by having to check if it is real or fake?

My assumption would be that they don't want to hold up security lines to verify it. If its in the park, they know that its OK

They tape the lightsabers closed when you buy them and ask you not to use them in the parks. Of course most guests walk right outside, untape it and start swinging away, and they do nothing. I did see thee DVC sticker person ask a child to stop whacking stuff once, but that's about it.

They tape the lightsabers closed when you buy them and ask you not to use them in the parks. Of course most guests walk right outside, untape it and start swinging away, and they do nothing. I did see thee DVC sticker person ask a child to stop whacking stuff once, but that's about it.

That's not all sabers at all. Just the build your own ones.

And if they don't think people will bring them back the next day they are crazy.

That's not all sabers at all. Just the build your own ones.

And if they don't think people will bring them back the next day they are crazy.
In February the ones in Launch Bay were taped shut in the display, and a CM retaped one after a family opened it. They've since switched to the ones that are on their own backing board and can't be expanded unless you remove it.

I know you cannot bring in toy weapons, but I noticed that they still sell them and there are still kids walking around with them and swinging them all over the place. What is the actual policy? Do they just want you to have to buy it when you get there? Maybe they don't want to have to hold up the security lines by having to check if it is real or fake?

You can't bring a knife or realistic looking replica in but it does appear that light sabers and those light up stick swords are still okay. The official policy leaves it up for interpretation of the gate CM.

So wish they didn't sell those things. Spent PTN last time getting whacked every time the child behind me got excited.

I saw a father and son very vigorously going at it with light sabers a couple of days ago. I was not too pleased to have to walk past them! Seems like a very odd thing to do on a crowded Main St. I didn't understand why a parent would think that was ok; someone was bound to get smacked.

Only guns and the like were banned and pulled from shelves. Lightsabers did not fall under this and are permitted to be brought through security. They're explicitly by name allowed for sure during runDisney events.

The park rules state the following is not allowed:
  • Weapons of any kind or object that appear to be weapons (toy guns, toy blasters, squirt guns, etc.)
It mentions blasters and guns, but nothing about toy swords. Since lightsabers and the light sticks are sold in the park, one can infer from this that they are not considered weapons per this policy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter