Things to do at VWL

NJParkhopper

DIS Veteran- Thanks for everything, Walt!!!
We're heading to our home resort, VWL. Can you guys share with me some of the fun things you did while you stayed there? It will be my family's first time there. It will be my wife, 5 year old boy and myself. Thanks!

Hi

We've been to the lodge twice - it's great. If you can get your 5 yo out of the pool, there's a beach, bike and boat rentals, the lodge tour, just sitting in the lobby...my kids had a great time running over the little bridge in the lobby and throwing coins into the spring. If your 5 yo likes trains, there are a couple model trains in the lobby of the villas which was pretty exciting for my son. Whispering Canyon is a fun place to eat with kids too - there's a lincoln log table out front, with plenty of action during dinner (it's a bit pricey for what you get, but most everything at DW is...) We haven't tried the cub's den or the arcade yet...but if you've never tried Artist Point yet, let your son try Cub's den and eat there. I think it's one of the best restaurants at DW (the salmon and the berry cobbler:D )

Have a great time!

The geyser is fun to watch, Fort Wilderness is a short walk away with a petting zoo, camp fire with chip & Dale and outdoor movie each night, bike rental

It's great to see another Ocean County DVC'r!! My DW and I are from Point Pleasant and we absolutely love the VWL. It's such a pleasantly themed resort; so relaxing!

There are many great things to do at the Lodge: rent a watermouse or pontoon boat and explore the lakes, schedule a fishing expedition on the lakes, rent a bike or surrey and pedal your way through the paths to Fort Wilderness, enjoy a drink at the Trout Pass bar and admire the themed pool and/or geyser, enjoy the more quiet solitude of the "quiet pool" near the villas, take the tour of the lodge offered every morning, ask to be the flag family at check-in and raise the flags over the lodge in the morning, view the water pageant at night, take the "young one" to the arcade right next door to the mercantile, etc., etc., etc.!!!

Hope you have a great trip. You'll love the VWL!

:wave:

Stayed at WL twice when my son and daughter were as young as 2 and old as 6.

My kids especially loved the nightly electrical water parade, pool slide, biking to the campgrounds, then at the campgrounds the petting zoo and pony rides! They used to have a small playground and have a sandy beach that is fun to play at. All restaurants are great depending on if you want something fast or slow. We even had pizza delivered to our room one night. The boat ride to the magic kingdom is fun, too and you will probably be going there lots with a 5 year old.

We own at BWV and haven't made our first trip there yet, but kids wish we were going back to the WL!!! Have a great time! I know your son will love it!!!

The Artist Point is fabulous, although as someone already pointed out about WDW in general, it is a bit pricey. The atmosphere is great and the food is excellent. It is listed elsewhere on this site as one of the top ten restaurants in WDW. http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/topten.cfm

As far as activities go, the bike trail down to Fort Wilderness and River Country is always fun. Another thing to mention is that horseback riding is available at Fort Wilderness. My family did that last December and we had a blast. The trail ride lasts about an hour. The horses are pretty tame so you really don't have to have riding experience. It was a nice break from the parks.

You can always just ride the Disney boats as they go back and forth to FW, MK, and another goes to the Contemporary. If your child can stay up to watch the MK fireworks, see them from the top of the Contemporary.

I just thought of something else. Your 5-year-old may love searching for the hidden Mickeys in the Lodge. Ask about it at the front desk and they will give you a list of clues that you can use to find the Mickey's hidden throughout the hotel and grounds.

After a day at the park, my kids always liked coming back to the hotel and getting one of the board games available for the asking at the front desk. Then we would find one of the little nooks off the main lobby with a fireplace and few chairs and relax.

My favorite subject! We stayed in May and fell in love (did an add-on). We went with our three year old son and some of the things he loved were the pool, of course, playing at the playground at the beach (they even have trucks and sand toys in a little box for the kids to play with, the outdoor movies at Ft. Wilderness (we roasted marshmallows and met Chip and Dale) and the boat to MK. He also really enjoyed the petting zoo and pony rides at Ft. Wilderness and all the bus rides back and forth.

My DH and I personally enjoyed the Artist Point. We, too, feel it is one of WDW's best restaurants. The Taste of the Lodge tour is fantastic. They will take you to the smokehouse and AP and let you sample some foods. My DH thoroughly enjoyed the spa at the villas.

Have a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter