• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Things to do with kids while in waiting in Line

koho

Why is the Rum always gone?
We going to Disney for the first time with our 2 children (ages 2 and 4). I was wondering if anyone has any good tricks to keep kids occupied while waiting in line?

Thanks,

I have read to search for Hidden Mickeys and was also advised to pack some pipecleaners and let the kids play with them in line (make shapes like Mickey heads or animals).

I also saw a suggestion to bring bubbles, but then read that some people get really irritated by them so I crossed that off my packing list.

Good idea to post this though as I'm dying to see other's suggestions.

we got a very small travel doodle - that was about 4 -5 inches in size and we could draw for DD or she could doodle in line.

Maybe not practical for some, but we use a iPhone or a iPod Touch to keep the kids entertained (movies, games, internet).. Since the battery life is not it's strong point we bought a external battery (www.mophie) that attaches to the back of the iPod to doubles the battery life.

I was successful with handheld fans (not the water spray bottle ones, just the fan) We had small disney ones, with foam blades, and when you let go of the button they stop.
My DD's also enjoyed playing guess the princess. I'd say what princess had brown hair? or what princess lives with the dwarves?
They also liked to just sing songs. Bibbity bobbity boo was a favourite one trip.
Patty cake also worked at times.

Little boxes of raisins would keep my DD occupied for a while.

The best advice is a touring plan that doesn't have you waiting in line.

Get to the parks early - at opening.

Use Fastpasses where possible.

Understand what lines are slow movers, and what moves right along. And don't get into line for something like Philharmagic when the room is empty - that means there is a whole ten minute show.....

Don't travel during "oh, my God, I think I just concieved that stranger's child" season.

Be willing to sacrifice an attraction if the line is just too long.

Do this, and you'll wonder why you bothered to haul pipecleaners and a little doodleboard through the parks every day.

I agree...have a great touring plan to minimize the waits, but you're still going to have a line once in a while, so....

I Spy worked well with my girls at that age.

Something fun when you're in a line that is moving (vs. waiting in one spot sitting for a show or something)....allow the people in front of you to get a few steps ahead, and have the kids guess how many ? (giant steps, hops, baby steps) it will take to catch up to the line. My girls LOVED it, though I did have ONE sourpuss who snapped at us to "control your children and don't you know there are a lot of other people waiting, you should hurry up" :rotfl2: Hurry up to stand in line more (but 4 steps closer!)? Stop doing this and let my kids annoy you instead?:confused3 Most people had fun watching the kids do it, and other kids would join in as well!! :thumbsup2

Good luck! It's a great age for Disney, and believe it or not, there is usually SO MUCH to see in line, and most lines move rather swiftly....it probably won't be nearly as bad as you might imagine!

Don't wait. In all seriousness - I don't wait in lines. Maybe 15 minutes, but that is about my max. Get there at early morning, very very first thing before the park even opens. Use fast passes. As another poster said, be willing to skip a ride if it is too long. With the kids only being 2 and 4, you shouldn't have any trouble. (That is why you have to get there 1st thing and ride Dumbo, so you have already ridden it!)

We went last August and also last January, so we have been when it is busier and more quieter. (Now - if you are going during PEAK - holidays, etc. - it may be harder to skip the lines).

My DD 2 1/2 sleeps until 8:00 or 8:30. No park openings for us! LOL She is usually entertained enough just by people watching or playing silly games in line.

We were just there a week ago. Waits were low to none. We did have one wait that was an hour. But that was our fault with a fastpass mixup.

ANyways... My brother-in-law had a a few pennies and he would drop them every so often. The kids didn't know and they thought they were finding money. It gave them some pennies for press pennies and it amused all of us.

in the end most of the pennies came back to the parents to hold so it wasn't like we were wasting money.

I would not do this for every ride. We also had pipe cleaners which was fun. Plus the older kids played i spy.

Mrsdennison

When DS was little, he liked to look at the pictures we'd already taken on the digital camera, or at the map to see where we were going next.

Last time, we played ABC Disney characters. - Think of one that begins with A, then B, etc. Several people near us were in on this game as well, and it was fun!

P. S. - For those reading whose kids are older, you can do this like the "I'm going on a trip" game - where you have to repeat everyone else's, then add your own. For example, first person says "I went to Disney and I saw Ariel." Next person says "I went to Disney and I saw Ariel and Baloo." Next says ".....Ariel, Baloo, and _____." and so on.

wow - a lot of great tips - I was wondering the same thing - my 2yr old - well, he will be 2 1/2 in Dec when we travel doesn't tolerate lines very well.... so, yes, I was thinking get there early and do fastpasses and then come back to the resort for naps/lunch. Later when we go back to the park - maybe just take it easy and grab dinner and if we see a short line hop in it!?
this is our first trip with our son to Disney - so it is more a "starter" trip to see how he does and what we want to do in the future...

We like to play rock, paper , scissors, but DS likes to change up the symbols making up his own. eg: volcano, lava, water. We also play guess the color of the vehicle.

Big bottles of bubbles, sidewalk chalk, lightsaber duels, a ball to play catch with- those crazy balls you get in vending machines work great!- small water guns, spray fans, jumprope, jacks, hopscotch, tarzan- you know where the kids swing on the chains that make the lines- singing loudly is also great fun!:cutie:

j/k!:lmao:
I would just talk to the kids and plan your day so you are not waiting on long lines. We don't make spreadsheets or get to the park for opening but we will come back to a ride if the wait is too long. We usually get to ride everything we want with minimal wait times. Have a great trip!

Big bottles of bubbles, sidewalk chalk, lightsaber duels, a ball to play catch with- those crazy balls you get in vending machines work great!- small water guns, spray fans, jumprope, jacks, hopscotch, tarzan- you know where the kids swing on the chains that make the lines- singing loudly is also great fun!:cutie:

j/k!:lmao:
I would just talk to the kids and plan your day so you are not waiting on long lines. We don't make spreadsheets or get to the park for opening but we will come back to a ride if the wait is too long. We usually get to ride everything we want with minimal wait times. Have a great trip!

Wow - you had me going for a minute there!!! Too funny!!!!

You know - one of the DUMBEST things we do is a game that we kinda' made up. One of us will pick a category (ride, show, character, or 'other') and the other will have to give clues about one thing in that category until someone guesses. The person who guesses will be the next to give the clues. We not only play this in line at the parks, but we play it in the car riding to the grocery store! Then again - my kids are Dis-Nuts, so it may just work with them......

One thing I've been doing in preparation for our trip is collecting small toys. The type toys that come in a kid's meal. I've been putting them away; for a long time my boys didn't even know that the kid's meals even had toys. When we pack each day for the parks I'm going to grab a couple and stick them in our backpack. Hopefully, it will be something new to hold our boys' attention. Another idea is playing cards. I've found some Mickey ones at the dollar store, Go Fish and some other game I can't remember. They like looking at the pictures, but I won't give them the whole deck, just a few at a time.

I hope you have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter