• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Think non-expiration tickets will make a comeback?

esulerzy

Mouseketeer
Wondering if the non-expiration ticket will make a comeback due to the current situation? I have always purchased 10-day non expiration tickets and got 3-4 trips out of each. I very much miss that type of ticket. Anyone hear anything about bringing that type of ticket back?

No. Disney wants to keep close track of when guests are visiting their parks, plus, I'm assuming, they do not want non-expiring tickets on the books anymore. When there was a non-expiration option, I used to buy a lot of tickets prior to price increases and just hold them onto them (I still have a bunch of park days and water park days on tickets I bought years ago). From a pure profit standpoint, it makes zero sense for Disney to allow people to hoard tickets at lower prices. I loved the non-expiration option, but I just don't see them coming back. I think the date-based model works very well for them for a number of reasons.

Just like the short-lived Pirate and Princess parties....they were awesome for the guests. But they didn’t make enough money for Disney, so they’re gone. I loved the non-expiration tix too.

Honestly I think it'll be the opposite - the only way to control capacity while also not ticking off a bunch guests that traveled in but may get turned away from parks due to limits, is to know roughly how many people are likely to attend on a given day and limit the number of tickets sold. It's much harder to anticipate guest attendance with those open ended tickets (and still also leave a % of guest count open for AP's). A disney vacation involves so much pre-planning, I wonder how this will change ADR's, Fastpasses and park hopping, at least in the short term.

It sure would be nice if they did - but it seems unlikely they'll bring them back at this point. When rumors were going around they were going to do away with them, we bought a couple to save in our account. We still have a number of days saved that way!

Don’t think so, especially now that they might want to know how many people will be there for the day.

I can't imagine why they would. Disney has figured out how to make dated tickets work for them and how to upcharge for the non-dated, but expiring, tickets. That would be a step backwards in terms of income.

In the last few years that Magic Your Way tickets with non-expiration were sold, they were not cost effective for longer vacations (6-10 theme park days) compared with Magic Your Way expires 14 or thereabouts days after first usage. I did buy a few of the latter some years ago which worked out quite well for me.

Back then the NE ticket has to fully cover at least 2 complete vacations to be cost effective.

Wondering if the non-expiration ticket will make a comeback due to the current situation? I have always purchased 10-day non expiration tickets and got 3-4 trips out of each. I very much miss that type of ticket. Anyone hear anything about bringing that type of ticket back?
Yeah, I loved those tickets, and I think it'd make a lot of sense for Disney to bring those tickets back now -- people could buy with confidence. You're forced to cancel your trip this summer? Go ahead and buy; view it as a promise to yourself that you're going -- if not this summer, then next summer or at Christmas.
From a pure profit standpoint, it makes zero sense for Disney to allow people to hoard tickets at lower prices.
Disagree! They get your money today, and they may not have to provide services for years. Consider, too, that -- compared to the hoards of people who come to Disney -- a fairly small number will buy the biggest tickets and spread them over multiple trips.
Honestly I think it'll be the opposite - the only way to control capacity while also not ticking off a bunch guests that traveled in but may get turned away from parks due to limits, is to know roughly how many people are likely to attend on a given day and limit the number of tickets sold.
That makes sense.

The problem is at the time, people had no sense of the price inflation so were just buying mostly what they needed rather than hoarding non-expiring tickets. Now if they offered them, people would be buying 30+ years worth of tickets to lock in prices for themselves, their kids, their grandkids.

At least for a short time, I expect the tickets to be more restrictive so they can control the number of people in a park better.
Not sure how they will handle APs.
I would expect this to ease up as they move through the opening phases.

At least for a short time, I expect the tickets to be more restrictive so they can control the number of people in a park better.
Not sure how they will handle APs.
I would expect this to ease up as they move through the opening phases.

For Shanghai Disneyland, they are requiring APs to make reservations for specific dates (which are limited to correspond with the reduced attendance requirements). I think it is highly likely they would do the same here.

Oh, I wish lol. Was great to buy for family members that didn’t always travel with us.
In the last few years that Magic Your Way tickets with non-expiration were sold, they were not cost effective for longer vacations (6-10 theme park days) compared with Magic Your Way expires 14 or thereabouts days after first usage. I did buy a few of the latter some years ago which worked out quite well for me.

Back then the NE ticket has to fully cover at least 2 complete vacations to be cost effective.
I stockpiled the tickets as their initial use by date was relatively open.

Just wish I had bought more too them at the time.

Yeah, I loved those tickets, and I think it'd make a lot of sense for Disney to bring those tickets back now -- people could buy with confidence. You're forced to cancel your trip this summer? Go ahead and buy; view it as a promise to yourself that you're going -- if not this summer, then next summer or at Christmas.

There is no reason NOT to buy with the current tickets. Even though the ticket "expires" on such and such a date, Disney will credit that value you paid towards another ticket if you are unable to use it.

Disagree! They get your money today, and they may not have to provide services for years. Consider, too, that -- compared to the hoards of people who come to Disney -- a fairly small number will buy the biggest tickets and spread them over multiple trips.

It causes havoc on the books for the accounting team. The same reason why stores preferred to have gift cards expire, instead of being good perpetually as most do it now. Yes, they get your money now, but they need to account for the fact they haven't been used yet. I don't remember the exact accounting jargon, but they need to track it until you use them.

There is no reason NOT to buy with the current tickets. Even though the ticket "expires" on such and such a date, Disney will credit that value you paid towards another ticket if you are unable to use it.
Except for the part about giving them hundreds (or even thousands) of dollars to hold onto with no benefit to you. If people don't have a 'recovery' date in mind if their vacation is cancelled, having that much money tied up with Disney for a long time is not really workable for a lot of people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter