Thinking about our 1st Disney cruise

Recca135

Earning My Ears
We are thinking about taking a Disney cruise May 2018. There will be 6 adults and we will get 3 staterooms. I don't even know where to begin with planning this. We are Disney veterans but have never done a cruise. We are thinking a 3 day cruise with 5 days in the parks afterwards. Is that too much? Cost isn't going to be much of a factor since we are celebrating my sisters wedding and my college graduation, so we are going to go big or go home.

Can you all please enlighten me on the cruises? Please and thank you!

The first thing you should know is that in most cases the cruise is cheapest on opening day, which is today for the cruise you are considering. If you want to go, you should make your reservations as soon as possible. You will have to put down a 20% deposit per stateroom and then pay off the remainder about 105 days (other posters please correct me if I am wrong on this) before the cruise starts.

The prices for Disney cruises tend to get more expensive as the ship starts filling.

Older ships, Wonder/Magic are smaller and don't have some of the things the newer ones do. Do you want a verandah, are you ok with an inside room? Money is no object get the verandah and enjoy the sound of the ocean putting you to sleep. 3 days you don't have a sea day to explore and enjoy the ship, you will have port days each day. I think they can open the verandahs and make it one large balcony if your rooms are next to each other. There are things like that.

My recommendation is 4 day cruise and 4 days at the park. But end with the cruise. WDW is fun but work. Cruises require very little thought once on board and will be a relaxing way to end the trip. If money is no object verandahs are fabulous.

But end with the cruise. WDW is fun but work. Cruises require very little thought once on board and will be a relaxing way to end the trip.
^Completely agree with this.^

Having been to Disney you know the old joke about needing a vacation after your WDW vacation is not entirely a joke. When you take a land-then-sea trip you make that joke a reality.

We prefer doing the park first, then the cruise for the reasons stated above...a vacation from your vacation. We also only cruise 7 days or longer. Since you are taking the park with you, maybe you just skip the land park and just cruise to a new adventure or two... you won't regret it.

I just went on my first Disney cruise three weeks ago. I took my three kids and we did the four parks before our trip. It was our first ever Disney experience. It was amazing. I was very, very thankful that we did the parks first and the cruise after. The parks were exhausting. So I would suggest doing the parks first...I really looked forward to getting on the boat for some relaxation. We came home rested instead of exhausted.

We did the Wonder in February, I have nothing to compare it to but I can tell you that within minutes of arriving, I was ready to rebook. I swear it's something they pump into the air!!

6 adults on a cruise is great. The ships are big enough to have a lot of activities, but small enough to easily find each other, or mix it up and do different things with different people. You won't always agree on what you all want to do, but you don't have to all agree because you can easily mix and match at different times, according to your interests. You can use the DCL Navigator App to keep in touch and to find out what is going on when and where.

And relax, planning a a DCL cruise takes a LOT less effort the the Land portion!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter