Thinking of extending one more day, availability issue

PrincessArlena'sDad

DIS Veteran
We are thinking of staying one more day, especially if Monday return flights turn out cheaper than the Sunday flights.

There is no availability for the entire trip, but there is availability for the one additional night we want to add (same resort/category).

If we book it as a separate reservation, would they be able to guarantee we won't have to change rooms?

Thanks!

We are thinking of staying one more day, especially if Monday return flights turn out cheaper than the Sunday flights.

There is no availability for the entire trip, but there is availability for the one additional night we want to add (same resort/category).

If we book it as a separate reservation, would they be able to guarantee we won't have to change rooms?

Thanks!

No. They will do the best they can, but there is no way to guarantee it ahead of time.

No. They will do the best they can, but there is no way to guarantee it ahead of time.
When would I know if they are able to keep us in the same room? If we stay the extra day, Friday would be a resort day, and Saturday and Sunday would both be full day park days (AK and MK).

Thanks!

I did that one time and no, they wouldn't guarantee it before arrival but I think my TA made a note of it on the reservation. Then I asked at check in (as @maxiesmom recommended) and they arranged it. Definitely made things easier - good luck!

No. No guarantee. You should ask at checkin. Usually they can tell you. But it might not be until the day before.

Thanks!

Did you call or only check the website? I would call before you book the spearate one and see if they can just adjust your dates to include the extra day. It is possible that if you are searching for the full trip online it shows no availability because one of those rooms booked is still assigned to you. As long as the extra day is available for the same room type I think they could help you on the phone to add it.

We did this last year and they could NOT guarantee that we could keep the room until the day before the second reservation. But thankfully, we were able to keep the room.

Thanks all. If we decide to add a day I would definitely be calling as i would hope to get the military discount.

One other thought, if the only military rate available was preferred, that would be cheaper than standard at rack rate. Could I request a downgrade to stay in the same room? Would that hurt my chances?

You can ask but if it's not available, it's not available
Do realize too, it's to their benefit to keep you in your room if possible
It costs them more in labor costs to clean a room for guest turn over. So if they can leave you where you are instead of moving you to a new room and putting someone else in your room they will. Especially if they know all in advance that you will be staying another night. When they play their game of room assignment tetris they'll try to keep you put it they can work it out with the others arriving after you.
When we have to do continuing reservations we call and have them connected plus I mention it when we check in. Knock on wood we haven't had to move yet

Thanks all. If we decide to add a day I would definitely be calling as i would hope to get the military discount.

One other thought, if the only military rate available was preferred, that would be cheaper than standard at rack rate. Could I request a downgrade to stay in the same room? Would that hurt my chances?
That is much less likely then. If you book preferred, then they are going to give you preferred. When they are doing the room availability jigsaw puzzle, it's easier for them just to adjust when its the same room category. But if you are booked preferred and want to stay in a standard, technically that means they would move someone who booked standard into a preferred (yes I know they don't use up every single room every night). That would be fine for one night, but if that person was on the first night of their vacation, then they would be holding up that preferred room when it is needed for someone else who actually did book preferred.

So, basically if you want to stay in your room, you're going to need to do the same resort, same category of room, and cross your fingers!

I extended my last trip in October by adding two nights before my longer reservation. The first night was for a different view room and the next two reservations the same view. I was going to ask if I could at least keep the same room for the second two reservations. However, before I could even request it, I was called by the a room organizer and asked if I wanted to stay in the same room the whole stay! She downgraded my first reservation and I got money back and was able to keep the same room for the whole trip. I was so happy that she had called and I didn't even need to ask.

Thanks!

As others have posted, they cannot guarantee you won't have to move. With that said, if you do book the extra night separately, have the CM link the 2 reservations with a request to keep the same room. When you check in for the first reservation, tell the CM you have a continuing reservation and would like to stay in the same room if possible. It's not guaranteed you won't have to move, but they will do everything they can to avoid moving you. Good luck!

So, the Monday nights are still expensive, but now the Tuesday flights dropped a lot! As of now, flying Tuesday would save $665 vs. Sunday.

Two days at CBR is $549, or $401 if the military discount is available.

If we can take the extra days off work.... decisions, decisions...…

(I'll ignore the extra money we'd spend by being in WDW two extra days) :upsidedow

So, the Monday nights are still expensive, but now the Tuesday flights dropped a lot! As of now, flying Tuesday would save $665 vs. Sunday.

(I'll ignore the extra money we'd spend by being in WDW two extra days) :upsidedow

Disney Math is the best!!

Do it!!!!!

Gotta convince the wife

Any suggestions how? :P

How far away do you live? I always try to say that the longer we stay the more it makes the flight cost worth it (flight divided by stays on vacation = less flight cost per day). I mean you will be in Florida already, why not.

Also what time of the year are you going? The Epcot festivals always help sweeten the deal for the misses (I am a "slightly" larger Disney nerd than she is).

Worse comes to worse just tell her I said it was ok. That should work. Haha.

I've had good luck calling and having a CM contact guest relations to either merge 2 reservations or slightly shift the dates. Did it for my last trip in November and again for our Christmas week trip. Can't guarantee it will always work but worth a shot.

I've had good luck calling and having a CM contact guest relations to either merge 2 reservations or slightly shift the dates. Did it for my last trip in November and again for our Christmas week trip. Can't guarantee it will always work but worth a shot.
This is exactly what happened!

I called to add the two days as a separate reservation, and he said he could get it modified even though the original dates had no availability. He did need a supervisor override.

Military discount applied for entire stay!

Saving $250 and 2 extra days in WDW
:banana::banana::banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter