Thinking of just going somewhere else...

Pearliee

Earning My Ears
I know what you are thinking..." Good! more room for us!" And believe me, I totally understand! I usually feel the same way! But with all the planning required nowadays just to get a fast pass and a dinner reservation, I am truly ready to try something new. It's hard! Because we LOVE Disney, and I know some of you will say just go to Disney and don't make a schedule...but I, for one, want a nice restrauant on vacation, and the fast passes are so nice, so with that being said, is there anywhere out there that is fun, the family will love, and doesn't require every minute planned? We are NOT into Universal, been to Disneyland many times, looking for something new with resorts close.. Maybe someone even knows a really cool lodge somewhere in America? .Thank you for understanding!!

Do you have interest beyond Theme Parks? If so then the sky is the limit. That said you still will probably need to at least plan lodging well in advance.

I know what you are thinking..." Good! more room for us!" And believe me, I totally understand! I usually feel the same way! But with all the planning required nowadays just to get a fast pass and a dinner reservation, I am truly ready to try something new. It's hard! Because we LOVE Disney, and I know some of you will say just go to Disney and don't make a schedule...but I, for one, want a nice restrauant on vacation, and the fast passes are so nice, so with that being said, is there anywhere out there that is fun, the family will love, and doesn't require every minute planned? We are NOT into Universal, been to Disneyland many times, looking for something new with resorts close.. Maybe someone even knows a really cool lodge somewhere in America? .Thank you for understanding!!

I'd recommend:
- Dollywood (TN)
- Busch Gardens (VA)

I'm kind of with you. I've had a pass for the last 7 years and I was initially annoyed at having to make dining reservations but submitted as it was better than sitting outside a restaurant for 90min hoping to get in. That's fine. I just made that the new norm. I like the FP+ deal, to a certain extent, but I really kind of liked winging it more before and getting FPs wherever we ended up. Still, I could make it work.

The prices have gone up noticeably. This is where I'm starting to think, "Ok.. After this AP is done, I'll just start going elsewhere." Gate prices going up is good, in a way, because it keeps the crowds down. The food prices have shot up a good bit, too, over the last year or so. They were pricey before but I figured I was at a nice theme park - it's just how it is. Now it's getting into the, "I think I'm done eating on Disney property"-area for me which, in addition to the reservations, other costs, and crowds, is making me lean to just picking other destinations in the future.

DD and I generally make WDW an every other year vacation and explore other destinations in the off years. There are thousands of places you could go for vacation that don't require planning in the detail that is now required at WDW with the FP+ and needing to make ADRs at 180 days. But what activities are you interested in and what's your budget? Would you be satisfied with a vacation where you lounge on the beach all day or do you want something more active? Do you have a love of history or are you an outdoorsy type? You mention a cool lodge. The national parks come to mind. Would your family enjoy a trip to Yosemite or Yellowstone?

Remember that almost every trip requires some level of research and planning to get the most out of it.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with looking at alternatives for vacation destinations. There's a big country out there with so much to see and do! Disney is a great place to visit and we have really enjoyed our trips. Planning is a part of any vacation. Yes, I think you can be more spontaneous on non-Disney trips, but my pre-planning is all part of my vacation build up. Whether its a map of the Magic Kingdom or a map leading to the Grand Canyon, you always need a plan. Once you've done all your planning at home, you can enjoy your vacation stress free (at least that's the goal). Disney World will be there when you want to go back again. No need to apologize for considering a non-Disney vacation. Enjoy whatever and wherever you choose!

I'm with you and we now vacation in Pigeon Forge often instead of Disney World. Dollywood has festivals that we enjoy. The best part is the Smokies are in the background. We will go three times a year there for the cost of a trip to Disney. Annual passes are cheap by comparison at Dollywood. You can take side trips to Biltmore, for example.

I won't compare Disney to Dollywood; it's not apples to apples. For us, we just enjoy not having a schedule. For us, Dollywood is closer and I like that, as well.

I've been to Disney World over 40 times and I never thought I would stop going there, but we have. We like Busch Gardens in Williamsburg. We took a road trip out West and out East over the last 5 years. Those trips require more time. The more I see away from Disney the more I like not being at Disney. I find Disney to be a complete hassle and a waste of money, now. I think I got spoiled at Disney World with lower crowds when the economy was down and lower costs and free dining promos and so forth. I really liked legacy fastpass and I'm not fond of fastpass plus. There was more street entertainment in years past at Disney.

I won't say I will never return to Disney World, but it will be way less often.

Go to some vacation websites and see what's out there. We enjoy cruises, now, too.

There is life after Disney World.

How about a cruise?

That was the first thing that crossed my mind when I read that the OP really does love Disney. I have no idea how much planning a cruise entails so you may want to check that out first, OP. A cruise is on my bucket list, but remains unexplored territory for us at this stage.

I like all inclusive type places for vacations, so those will be the majority of my recommendations. Have you considered Skytop Lodge in Pennsylvania? You can hike, zipline, ride horses, and have some great dining experiences. Great Wolf Lodge in Grapevine Texas is an indoor water park resort that has gotten great reviews from my friends who have stayed there. Schlitterbahn is often voted the best water park in the world. They have various resorts you can stay at there on property that also allow you early admission into the parks. There is a shuttle that will take you to the other park, if you desire, and all tickets are "park hoppers". As far as dining goes, they have park food, so there's that; however, Schlitterbahn is located in New Braunfels (if you go to the original which is the best) which has great dining options. Kingsmill Resort and Spa in Williamsburg, VA might be considered, as well. Along with having various activities there at the resort, they also have free shuttles to Busch Gardens and Water Country. Have you considered doing Disney World without going to the parks? You can stay at any resort you want and enjoy the pool. Also, you can dine at any of the resort or Downtown Disney restaurants, head to Tri Circle D Ranch, watch the animals at Animal Kingdom Lodge, play at the water parks, take a ride on Characters in Flight, and enjoy Disney Quest.

I feel that parents should show their children how to travel - expose them...and wdw doesn't count. Maybe you'll do another wdw trip later. See the world....the real world.

I don't think it's fair to say you need "every minute planned" at Disney World, even now.

Sure if you want top attractions at best times you need to plan 60 days or at least 30 days off-site (that's literally two attactions right now 7DMT and A&E). Haven't you read the posts about people getting 7 FP+'s in the parks after their 3 expire. Those same 7 FP+'s would be available to you just walking into the parks (no planning) and using the kiosk.

Yeah, if you want BOG dinner or CRT you need 180 in advance but there are lots of CS or even sit downs available if you want only a few ADR's or none at all.

I just think that you're freaking out for nothing.

If you're looking for a cool family vacation - something different - have you considered Beaches? It's an all-inclusive resort for families, with locations in the Caribbean. You could easily take your whole family there for a week and probably pay less than you would at WDW, including airfare. (When you look at the quotes, it's initially shocking... until you realize that ALL of your food and beverages, and the majority of your activities, are all included!!!) :goodvibes

I don't think it's fair to say you need "every minute planned" at Disney World, even now.

This.

There have always been hot reservations or attractions and there always will be. And Disney will never stop tweaking their guest experience because why the heck would they?

Still ... Walt himself would tell you there's a big beautiful world out there. Go enjoy it

I feel that parents should show their children how to travel - expose them...and wdw doesn't count. Maybe you'll do another wdw trip later. See the world....the real world.

Not sure I agree with "wdw doesn't count" but agree with exposing your kids to the outside world.

My family has been to WDW 7 times, our kids are now 18 and 22, we were just there two weeks ago as a nostalgia trip following DD's college graduation.

Some other really great trips we took along the years that the kids loved were:
San Diego (beaches, nature, Legoland, pandas at San Diego Zoo etc...), San Antonio, Maine coast and Boston, Florida beaches/everglades, Chicago (museums, Navy Pier, shows, shopping etc) and our most recent non-WDW trip was London and it was awesome! So much to do there and friendly people.

If you need a break from WDW by all means get out and explore. :goodvibes

If you've never vacationed anywhere but Disney, DEFINITELY go somewhere else! Preferably somewhere without a theme park!

We love Disney, too, but there is a great, big, wonderful world out there, and Disney is only one teeny tiny part of it.

I'm not sure what your family is into or how old your kids are, if you have any. But here are a few suggestions:

-New Orleans--explore the French Quarter, take a ghost tour, take a mule-drawn carriage ride, go to Audubon Park to see the zoo, marvel at the grand houses of the Garden District, ride the streetcar, learn how Mardi Gras floats are built at Mardi Gras World, get out of town and take an airboat tour through the swamp, eat yourself silly with delicious food :)

-Washington D.C.--visits to all monuments and the Smithsonian Museums are FREE! Explore them all! See Charles Lindberg's plane and the Apollo 11 at the Air and Space Museum, see the pandas at the National Zoo, see Dorothy's ruby slippers and the original Star-Spangled Banner at the Museum of American History (they even have one of the original Dumbo ride vehicles from Disneyland!), see a show at the Kennedy Center

-St. Augustine--explore the Castillo de San Marcos, browse through the shops in the Old City, see all the oddities at the Ripley's Believe it or Not museum, learn about pirates at the Pirate and Treasure museum, go to the beach, drink from the Fountain of Youth

Those are just a few examples! Get out there and explore!

Sure if you want top attractions at best times you need to plan 60 days or at least 30 days off-site (that's literally two attactions right now 7DMT and A&E). Haven't you read the posts about people getting 7 FP+'s in the parks after their 3 expire. Those same 7 FP+'s would be available to you just walking into the parks (no planning) and using the kiosk.

Yeah, if you want BOG dinner or CRT you need 180 in advance but there are lots of CS or even sit downs available if you want only a few ADR's or none at all.

The OP is just mildly exaggerating saying "every minute planned" (just as you are when you say they are "freaking out"). There is a point of diminishing returns for all this planning for anybody who enjoys WDW and the OP feels they have reached it. I certainly did on my last trip, before the system was even fully implemented and not as bad as it is now.

My family and I have been going to dude ranches every Summer for over 20 years. I love Disney and we go once or twice a year but I won't skip the ranch. All inclusive with food, horseback riding, kids program, campfires, etc. Lots of fun with no TVs or electronics. I highly recommend every family try one. Our current fav is wilderness trails ranch outside of Durango, Colorado. Beautiful country. Close yo Mesa verde national park and not far from Monument Valley one of the greatest sites ever.

It's not the planning for us - it's the pricing! I don't mind planning ADR's and figuring out FP+. I'm like one of the previous posters - that part's fun for me. The problem for us is that the prices are getting so high, it's ridiculous! I love the fact that once you're there everything is included in your park tickets, but for 5 people, 7 day hoppers will cost me over $2000! That's just crazy- that costs more than the price of 2 value rooms for a week. We will go back, but where we used to go every year and usually more than once each year, we're now looking at going every other year.

It's frustrating when something you love doing is getting out of reach price-wise.:sad2:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with looking at alternatives for vacation destinations. There's a big country out there with so much to see and do! Disney is a great place to visit and we have really enjoyed our trips. Planning is a part of any vacation. Yes, I think you can be more spontaneous on non-Disney trips, but my pre-planning is all part of my vacation build up. Whether its a map of the Magic Kingdom or a map leading to the Grand Canyon, you always need a plan. Once you've done all your planning at home, you can enjoy your vacation stress free (at least that's the goal). Disney World will be there when you want to go back again. No need to apologize for considering a non-Disney vacation. Enjoy whatever and wherever you choose!

Perfectly stated, with no condescending digs or insults. :):thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter