• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Thinking of skipping AK

JKCDA

Earning My Ears
my daughter and I have 4 park days (first week of April) and the original plans was one park per day, however I’m starting to get worried about missing things I want to see because I’m rushing...MK is an obvious must-do, Epcot is my favourite + it’s the garden festival and I’m excited to try that out, and her whole raison d’être for the trip is Star Wars at Hollywood Studios (or else I’d skip that park). So AK is the one park that’s flexible.

I don’t know when we’ll be back again, and it’s been 5 years since she’s been (4 for me), so I don’t want to miss something I know I love for something like Pandora - I’m sure it’s beautiful, but I only just liked the movie and she has never seen it. Not worried about Everest - we have a local roller coaster park that has massive rides, so missing Disney rollercoasters isn’t a biggie. We also have a membership to the major local zoo, so even the animals aren’t something we don’t regularly see.

I’m so torn. I planned four Disney trips in four years, and have never faced this kind of indecision on everything! I really feel like that one last partial day (leave for the airport at 6pm) should be saved in case we miss something!

Thoughts?

Sounds like skipping AK is fine, given the reasoning you've posted.

I find it easier now to pick up fast passes at MK than AK so I would plan the partial/last day for AK. If, after your day at MK, you feel like you need more time at MK, you can switch the last day up.

I was going to suggest this also. Play the last day (partial day) by ear. Book AK FP ahead of time just in case and just switch it up if needed the night before after you do MK/Epcot/HS.

I don't like the movie, but I adore visiting Pandora. It's brilliantly designed and executed, just a marvel. Flight of Passage is the best theme park attraction I've ever been on, by a long shot. AK also has the two best musical shows on property, great food options (I consider Sa'tuli Canteen the best QS in the parks), and an overall atmosphere that I find captivating. So yes, I am biased, but I think you should at least do what the PPs have suggested -- plan on AK on your last day, and if you decide you'd rather do another park, make that decision on the trip. Have fun whatever you decide!

Last edited:
bkfamilyof5 is right - right now what they are offering in the way of Star Wars is limited ( but worth checking out, IMO )
  • There's the March of the Stormtroopers which is just that but it does lead to the stage show that is set up in front of Mann's. The march was about 5 minutes and the stage show was about another 10-12 minutes.
  • Star Tours - get a FP, you won't be sorry.
  • Launch Bay - here is where you can get your photo ops with Chewy, BBQ and Kylo Ren. There's also some props from movies worth checking out. We went in September and got photos with all 3 characters and looks at the exhibits and that took about 45 minutes.
  • There is also a new show called Path of the Jedi - it's a 14 minute film with scenes from the films.

If it were me, I'd consider splitting a day between AK and HS - maybe AK in the AM and then HS late afternoon into evening ( this way you could catch Fantasmic too )

Personally, I love AK, but based on what you posted, skipping makes sense.
Extra FPs are much easier to get at MK than AK.
Either way, enjoy your trip!

If it were me, I'd consider splitting a day between AK and HS - maybe AK in the AM and then HS late afternoon into evening ( this way you could catch Fantasmic too )

Yup, don't know if you'll have park hoppers, but it's worth a few hours just to check out Pandora.

I don't like the movie, and I adore visiting Pandora. It's brilliantly designed and executed, just a marvel. Flight of Passage is the best theme park attraction I've ever been on, by a long shot

I agree ... even if you're not familiar with Avatar, Pandora in AK is a stunning area and FoP is easily worth a park-hop.

While we love AK, I can see your reasoning for possibly skipping it. However because of how amazing and unique FoP is as a ride I would think about the partial day as others mentioned or hopping if you have that option. We had never seen or had a real interest in the Avatar movie, but the ride is such a cool experience - you'd have a better chance at a FP on your last day, or you could go early to do first thing if hopping to HS as PP mentioned. If you do go, might also like to catch the LK show which is really well done( not sure if you did it in previous trips, but I know you said it's been awhile).

For us, AK is our favorite. Best theming overall, best attraction in orlando (FOP), best shows... only drawback, no fireworks but understandable given the type of park AK is. So I wouldn't miss AK for anything.

As someone said, I would plan a half-day AK at least.

bkfamilyof5 is right - right now what they are offering in the way of Star Wars is limited ( but worth checking out, IMO )
  • There's the March of the Stormtroopers which is just that but it does lead to the stage show that is set up in front of Mann's. The march was about 5 minutes and the stage show was about another 10-12 minutes.
  • Star Tours - get a FP, you won't be sorry.
  • Launch Bay - here is where you can get your photo ops with Chewy, BBQ and Kylo Ren. There's also some props from movies worth checking out. We went in September and got photos with all 3 characters and looks at the exhibits and that took about 45 minutes.
  • There is also a new show called Path of the Jedi - it's a 14 minute film with scenes from the films.

If they’re big Star Wars fans, skip fantasmic and see the Star Wars nighttime show. I’m not even a an of Star Wars, but dh is, and I loved it!

I am a big fan of the AK and can't imagine a visit to WDW and not stopping by the AK. But I understand it is fourth on your priority list.

However, it sounds like you are fans of roller coasters. If so, I would suggest adding FoP to your list of "must do's". It is an amazing ride.

I'll suggest making plans for your last partial day to visit the AK and get FPs for FoP. Then decide in the moment whether to visit AK or return to another park.

If my husband wasn't such a huge fan of AK, I would skip it every trip. The only thing I really enjoy is the Lion King show... I can see animals at home. Enjoy your trip!

I would never skip AK. But then I'm the weird duck who pretends that Star Wars doesn't exist - or at least that it was well away from the Disney Universe - so I have ZERO issues skipping Studios as Tower is about the only thing I'll bother with there.

I love AK but based off of your reasoning I'd agree that you should probably skip it

I wouldn't skip it with 4 days, but that's me, because Flight of Passage is a must try/ride in our book. If you can, I'd rope drop DHS and do all the Star Wars stuff available, and the close AK with an emphasis on Pandora. Or you could rope drop Pandora then head to DHS.

my daughter and I have 4 park days (first week of April) and the original plans was one park per day, however I’m starting to get worried about missing things I want to see because I’m rushing...MK is an obvious must-do, Epcot is my favourite + it’s the garden festival and I’m excited to try that out, and her whole raison d’être for the trip is Star Wars at Hollywood Studios (or else I’d skip that park). So AK is the one park that’s flexible.

I don’t know when we’ll be back again, and it’s been 5 years since she’s been (4 for me), so I don’t want to miss something I know I love for something like Pandora - I’m sure it’s beautiful, but I only just liked the movie and she has never seen it. Not worried about Everest - we have a local roller coaster park that has massive rides, so missing Disney rollercoasters isn’t a biggie. We also have a membership to the major local zoo, so even the animals aren’t something we don’t regularly see.

I’m so torn. I planned four Disney trips in four years, and have never faced this kind of indecision on everything! I really feel like that one last partial day (leave for the airport at 6pm) should be saved in case we miss something!

Thoughts?
For us, AK is at best a half day park to begin with ... I'd have no problem skipping it. We've only been going to AK every other year for the last few years (we go annually) and no one misses it on our off years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter