• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Thinking of skipping AK

We skip AK. For DS it feel a lot like a zoo (We love zoos, etc., are members of our highly rated zoo at home, and have done lots of behind the scenes programs there, etc. too, but that's not what we are in Orlando for). We aren't fans of Avatar. And my son still hates it that Avatar broke the movie record over Titanic, his all time favorite move, and for that probably a silly reason is not at all enthused about seeing anything related to Pandora. Works for me. I love the Festival of the Lion King at the AK too (my favorite Disney show in all the parks actually), but again that doesn't make AK a must do park for me.

Totally your choice. For me going down is more having some fun at a few parks and an overall vibe. I mostly like Main Street USA at the MK and getting my Mickey Bar and seeing the Orcas at SeaWorld. Those are my two favorite Orlando things to do, but I'd be OK replacing those with something else too. All and all, Orlando for me really is just a backdrop for having some frivolous fun chill time with my son (It's not really for me, what park, what attractions). It's more for me a place to be a kid and have fun with family. I like you, though, too would be really excited to do Epcot if Flower and Garden were on. We on our next trip are skipping HS as we aren't into Star Wars also. A few years back we went to Universal/IOA to see the HP areas that are well done and do the other stuff there, but going back there isn't a must do for us either and will be another thing we will skip on the next trip.

If you're big on not wanting to miss anything that is new, hot, enjoyed by many, the new Pandora attractions at AK are getting a big thumbs up and have upped attendance at that park (would be must dos). Your original post talks about wanting to be sure not to miss anything?? If that's the case, they are new "IT" items, and the one ride is one of the hottest fastpasses. If you don't care, and fitting these in just sounds like a pain in the butt that will make your trip more hectic, skip it. Unfortunately only you can decide. I'd have a hectic/long/expensive Orlando trip if I did everyone else's favorites. I can have a short, relaxed, budget Orlando trip just doing what my son and I want to do.

It's whatever you're into. I know even on our MK touring plan we are skipping 7DMT and Peter Pan (two perfectly fine enjoyable attractions that are must dos for many people) that are just too popular and not worth it to us to bother with. 7DMT is one that is too tough to get a fast pass for, not worth it to us wasting rope drop on, and for us not worth a later in the day long stand by line (we stay offsite meaning fastpasses just at the 30 day mark). And we are amazed at the long lines for Peter Pan that we would never do. And to us, although you can get a fastpass for it, it isn't worth wasting a fastpass on in our humble opinion. Just by skipping those, we will be able to get everything in we want to do at the MK in just one day without being rushed and that includes the parade and end of day fireworks too.

Anyway, good luck deciding. As you can see by my post, I personally don't think anything is a must do.

AK is far and away my favorite park, I could never imagine skipping it. There's soooo much to do there. It's usually the first park I pick for a second day, too. If you are there for 4 days, I don't seen any reason for skipping any park, as they all have more than enough for a full day.

When we go to AK, we don’t do the “zoo” stuff, but love fop, Navi, ee, ittbab, Kali, sometimes dinosaur- but don’t much care for that one. Like to watch awakenings and lion king and eat at yak and yeti. So lots to do that is not “zoo” related if that’s what is keeping you from AK.

I'm a big SW fan and I agree that the offerings so far at DHS are not much. It's disappointing to me, but this is the year we're going, and may not be back after Galaxy's Edge is complete, so it's now or possibly never... and other than ST, ToT and RnR I've always been pretty lukewarm regarding DHS. TSL did not add much appeal for us. This year, we plan to do a half-day there with evening over at EPCOT doing DiveQuest.

To me, AK isn't comparable to a zoo- its animal-themed, but I don't think actual animals are a big part of it, except for KS which is kind of a fun ride even apart from the animals. I also didn't care for the Avatar movie but Pandora is just exceptional whether you know about the movie or not (especially after dark), and FOP may possibly be the best amusement park ride in the world, according to people who are ride connoisseurs. With the addition of Pandora, AK has become a full-day park for us.

I think your best bet is to either to a split AK/DHS day on your next-to-last day with DHS in the afternoon due to the SW-themed fireworks. Alternatively, you could plan AK for the last morning. It doesn't sound like you'd want to do rope drop for FOP, so depending on crowd levels that may be the only way to get FPs for FOP in the morning, anyway. 60+3 (your last full day) there might not be morning FPs left but there should be on 60+4 (the half-day morning).

As it turns out when I consulted her Royal Highness, she demands Everest, so I guess I’m SOL there.

I actually DO like AK, but it’s not the park I “miss” when I’m away (that’s actually Epcot, oddly enough). I know HS is not a lot of Star Wars, but little miss is adamant that we see the nighttime show. Normally I’d be all “kid, unless you get a job and pay for this, it’s my call”, but it’s her birthday during the trip, so I’m at her mercy.

We do have hoppers, but no car, so it’s not as easy as it would normally be when we have a car...but we do have plans to do epcot all day, and then head to a late MK EMH one night...here’s hoping the kid who goes to bed at 7:30 on the regular is good with a midnight outing!

Hollywood Studios is our skip park (kids cant ride ToT or Aerosmith yet). This may change after they see TSL in a few weeks. The kids, 4 and 2, LLLOOOVVEEE Animal Kingdom. And I think Pandora is amazing.

As it turns out when I consulted her Royal Highness, she demands Everest, so I guess I’m SOL there.

I actually DO like AK, but it’s not the park I “miss” when I’m away (that’s actually Epcot, oddly enough). I know HS is not a lot of Star Wars, but little miss is adamant that we see the nighttime show. Normally I’d be all “kid, unless you get a job and pay for this, it’s my call”, but it’s her birthday during the trip, so I’m at her mercy.

We do have hoppers, but no car, so it’s not as easy as it would normally be when we have a car...but we do have plans to do epcot all day, and then head to a late MK EMH one night...here’s hoping the kid who goes to bed at 7:30 on the regular is good with a midnight outing!
If you've got 4-day Hoppers then you should be able to do every park twice. That's how I'd do it both to get to experience the parks during daylight and nighttime, and to get my money's worth from the hoppers.

So, for example:

Day One: MK in the AM, Epcot in the PM
Day Two: HS in the AM, AK in the PM
Day Three: Epcot in the AM, MK in the PM
Day Four: AK in the AM (or if you'd rather not do it again...MK or EP again), HS in the PM

Some variation of that. You mention not having a car. Are you staying off-property?

There's no wrong answer. With just 4 days in the parks and the fact that you haven't been in years, you'll have plenty to keep you occupied no matter which parks you're in for those days.

But just to add my two cents on what I would pick. Skipping AK for me would be out of the question. It's my favorite experience right now, with all of the great food, Everest (not just a roller coaster... the theming is amazing), and Flight of Passage. The new Pandora is fantastic... and I hated the movie Avatar. I thought it was a pretty CGI movie but was terribly annoyed by its storyline. I hated the idea that Disney was putting in this ridiculous movie into a real world animal park. And even then, after visiting, I think Pandora is one of the most imaginative things that Disney has ever recreated and that FoP is one of the best examples of screen and motion technology.

We found DHS to be extremely disappointing on our last trip. Such a huge chunk of it was closed and we struggled to fill the afternoon waiting for Fantasmic. We managed to get through everything so early. We ended up just wandering around and sitting down while we waited as there was nothing left to do. I would do AK in the morning and then hop to DHS in the late afternoon. But we are fans of AK. There just seems so much to do there.

For my family and I, park hoppers are an expense that we can't afford.

We tried AK once, but decided to skip it on other visits. The number of attractions there that we want to see or do again didn't justify us burning one of our non-hopper ticket days.

It comes down to whether or not you find value in a particular park.

Our last day is the day we leave - at 9:30pm, so it’s sort of a half day - we’ll be taking an Uber back to the airport around 6:00 and skipping DME. I hate HS myself, so maybe I can rejigg plans to get more Epcot time after we do the basics, then come back and see the Star Wars show another night...good points all, thanks!

(We don’t have a car, but we are on property, ASMo)

(...) and FOP may possibly be the best amusement park ride in the world, according to people who are ride connoisseurs. With the addition of Pandora, AK has become a full-day park for us.

I think your best bet is to either to a split AK/DHS day on your next-to-last day with DHS in the afternoon due to the SW-themed fireworks.(...)

I'm a theme park fan, I love rides, love theming, been to dozens of theme parks from all around the world, and for me FoP is by far the best ride I've been on. That ride alone makes AK a must nowadays. It is incredibly immersive, subtle, and yet impressive and exhilirating.

I think your suggestion is quite good. In fact, I'm doing various split-days with AK mornings and then head to other parks for the evening and the fireworks. I do have one almost full day at AK to see Pandora at night, which is also a must for me, but the rest are half-days.

And you can also see Awakenings on the Tree of Life if you go to AK at night. It’s a short but sweet show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter