Third BLT DVC trip mixed with some CR time - Updated 4/10/2013

DD and DW are having a Dole Whip in Adventure Land at the MK. As I make my way through main street, I stop to catch a little bit of the show at the castle.
I catch up with the girls. We check out HM and Small World but the lines are too long. It's rare that we've ever not gone to these two rides and we're three days into our trip. DD has never rode Dumbo so we make our way over to Dumbo. We check out the circus tent and the interactive queue for kids and parents. You can get a buzzer and let the kids romp around while you wait. We can't fit so we get a FP. We watch the clown show again. This time there's a clown band.
We ride Dumbo.

imagekkcs.jpg

After Dumbo, I have a great idea to ride the train to the front of park. We've not done this in a long time.

imageqwld.jpg

After getting off the train, we take some pictures from on top of the entrance to MK. Cool spot.

img0894vt.jpg

img0888kk.jpg

img0889h.jpg

img0891rqy.jpg

We're early for dinner so we take the Monorail to the Wave bar.
We really enjoy a few drinks and chatting with the bartenders. It's very quiet and we're just about the only people at the bar.
Before going into restaurant, I check on our room for BLT. They had trouble with text messages again and I didn't get notified that our room was ready.
Unfortunately, our dinner at The Wave had issues. First, our waitress didn't seem to appreciate our inquiry as to where her accent was from. We have German roots and we thought we detected German. Oh well. It was one of the weirdest responses from a CM we've ever had. Then, two tables down from us, a poor young boy threw up on his plate. The folks next to us asked to move. The atmosphere was awkward. Adding insult to injury, my DD begins to feel ill and excuses herself up to the room before her dinner arrives. DW, DSIL and I are left to eat.
If there was anything good to say, I did like the beer and my meal.
The Orlando brewery beers are good.
img0898uh.jpg

I enjoyed my steak.

imagexbl.jpg

We rushed this meal for obvious reasons. Poor DD and DW are up half the night with a stomach bug. My worst fear of getting sick on vacation are coming true... can we salvage the rest and bulk of our week.... stay tuned.

We'll have to give Boma a try then. And your wife sounds like me. I had one Lapu Lapu and EVERYTHING was funny. I had to get straight to bed. :lmao:
I really like Boma and the Lodge is beautiful. I'd like to do a split stay with AKL & BLT. A Lapu Lapu sounds good. Is that the one in a pineapple? We don't get treats like that at home so it's fun to try at WDW.

Lindsayx14 - Welcome to the DIS!!!! I love that you added pictures. I really like those yellow Mickey pillows.

I'm sorry to hear you all got sick while at the Wave. That little boy throwing up would have done me in whether or not I was sick before. :sick:

My favorite pictures was of the GF with the mist all around - beautiful!

I really like Boma and the Lodge is beautiful. I'd like to do a split stay with AKL & BLT. A Lapu Lapu sounds good. Is that the one in a pineapple? We don't get treats like that at home so it's fun to try at WDW.

Yes, the Lapu Lapu is in the pineapple. It makes a great picture!

We like AKL - it is beautiful. We've stayed there, and it is a pretty resort, but we didn't enjoy feeling so far. We really like BWV for the location (and BLT). I know some people enjoy the escape, but we like to be in the middle of the action.

What's the best way to recover from a stomach bug that's kept you up all night hugging the toilet bowl? You go to EPCOT and do the EPCOT death march.
Well, at least, that's how us commando's do it.
DD had done most of the planning for the trip and had made a beautiful 3 ring binder with all our plans, reservations and even menu's from the restaurants. She was so proud of saving her own money from her work study job to pay in cash for her park ticket. She wasn't about to let a little illness get in the way.
In the morning, I like to get up and walk through the amazing smell of the BLT hallway over to the Contempo Cafe for a coffee. It's so nice in the morning as WDW is waking up. The Monorail is operating. The ferry is making it's way to MK. The staff is preparing for the day and only a few people are about. If I was ever going to get some chill time, this was it.
I knew we wouldn't be opening any park today after learning DD and DW had been up all night. I'm restless and go for a walk with my iPhone and headphones. I settle in over at the CR pool.

img0915lx.jpg

The day is gorgeous and I'm loving the quiet time with some sun. A Northerner really appreciates this kind of day in the middle of winter. I'm questioning why I live in CT.

img0916b.jpg

There's basically nobody at the pool except me and the lifeguards. Why do the comb the pool left to right with arm and head when there's nobody around? It's kind of funny but I guess I appreciate the devotion. From my vantage point in the lounge chair, I want to say, "Dude, you can relax. Nobody's in the pool." :thumbsup2

img0918w.jpg

To my surprise, my music is interrupted by the phone and it's the girls ready to go to EPCOT. I need nothing and tell them I'll meet them at the Monorail. It's only around 11am. Cool, let's go.

The Flower and Garden Festival officially opens the next day but many of the decorations are up already.

Pictures coming into EPCOT from the Monorail.
The new Test Track.

imageaxrm.jpg

imagejoj.jpg

imagetxb.jpg

On entering EPCOT, we're greeted by Mickey and the gang having a cook out.
It's very cool to know that Mickey is into cooking on a kettle grill with charcoal just like me. I can't wait to try the Smokehouse BBQ later in week at the American pavilion.

imagemgcz.jpg

DD is feeling weak and we get her a wheel chair. I just wish they made wheelchairs for tall people so I don't have to bend my back to push. She's such a trooper and wheels herself around half the time.

img0923q.jpg

Duffy is one of DD's favorite and we catch a picture on our way for a Margarita.

imagezlxz.jpg

Required World Showcase attraction.

img0926el.jpg

We've often talked about doing the detective interactive game. Over in China, we try our hand at the Phineaus and Ferb game.

imagekeyl.jpg

Phigment is a favorite of ours and we catch good ol'Phigment before our lunch at Coral Reef.

Coral Reef
imagemtjf.jpg

I enjoyed watching the fish, turtles and sharks before lunch.

imageett.jpg

We had a very nice young man waiting on us and the food is yummy.

imagetnnu.jpg

imageiqcy.jpg

DD not yet feeling up to a big meal.

imageygfp.jpg

imageikmx.jpg

imageyxqn.jpg

We pass on dessert so we can go over to World Showcase and try some treats. DD and DW go shopping while DSIL and I go over to France to try out the new pastry shop.
Inside the French pavilion.
imagewsb.jpg

Looks like a great place for a sandwich. We get treats.

imagejpi.jpg

I get a Napolean and a Creme Brulee.

imagekbsz.jpg

We have some nice casual down time, relaxing at World Showcase. We watch the English band. They do a cool medley of Pink Floyd.
At the Oz display, I have some fun.

imageeic.jpg

DSIL and I go over to Soarin' with 4 fast passes and just the two of us. We give a son and his mom from Miami a couple of free fast passes. They've never rode Soarin' and we have fun with them sharing the experience. They were so appreciative of the passes for their first ride.

I head back to BLT on my own.

imagehmp.jpg

Like a rookie, I get on the wrong monorail and end up at MK. I walk back to BLT on my own.

Back at the room, we settle in after a more relaxing and slower paced day.
We get ready for Wishes.

imageusru.jpg

Our view from our standard view, 1 bedroom suite at BLT. It's on the second floor and I think it's a great view for the lesser points. I'd do a standard room again.

Sun coming down over MK.

We watch Wishes from balcony and fade off to sleep ...

Tomorrow is Hollywood Studios. Sweet dreams for now.

Great report, thanks for sharing.

Every night after our day at WDW, I take notes on my iPad or in a paper notepad. I snap enough pictures all day long so it's easy to recall the entire day. It does take a couple hours to upload pictures and create each days post. I do enjoy recounting the trip and glad others enjoy. Thanks! :thumbsup2

By Wednesday, our fifth day, the weather is amazing. We're about a half hour late making rope drop at HS. DSIL runs to Toy Story for our fast passes. DD and I head over to Rocking Roller Coaster.

imagepwub.jpg

RRC must be getting a facelift.

imagehfo.jpg

DD and I make a good decision to do single rider and we get on ride fast. Luckily, we also end up sitting together. Nice!

imageqsek.jpg

This is a good strategy because we have our Toy Story FP, RRC went fast and the line for Tower of Terror moves along just fine.

imageadi.jpg

There's a new Jack Sparrow attraction near Toy Story but the line is long and we bypass. We hang out taking some pictures before the Muppet's in 3D.

Singing in the Rain.

imagekgqm.jpg

Streets of SF, blocked off.

imagetghi.jpg

We have an early lunch at Prime Time. Great last minute choice and we've not been in here since kids were small.

imagesrrs.jpg

I love the restaurant design. It takes me back to the 50's and 60's. Lucille Ball would be proud.

imagexuoo.jpg

imagehhn.jpg

imageren.jpg

Almost noon, time for a refreshing cocktail.

imagepqc.jpg

Dinner at Mom's

imagelfb.jpg

Food is great, home-style fair.
Chicken Pot Pie.

imagepgk.jpg

I got a little taste of pot roast, meatloaf and fried chicken.

imagewwju.jpg

DD got some veggies that they brought over from Hollywood & Vine.

imagedrk.jpg

Cousin Quinn took great care of us and hams it up for the camera. We enjoy company of others having dinner too.

imagelfn.jpg

Luckily, we eat all our veggies and keep our elbows off the table and escape any embarrassment. :goodvibes

I got a PB&J milkshake to go and we have a shake while watching a parade. We do see Beauty & The Beast show. It was one of our must see for the trip.

imagewpyh.jpg

The crowds are well, crowded. We escape early afternoon because the girls have tickets for La Nouba @ Downtown Disney.

imagealt.jpg

I made my way over to EPCOT via the Friendship boat to check out first day of Flower and Garden Festival.
To be continued with more pictures.

I'm splitting this post just like I split from the girls. I'm solo and take my sweet ol time taking pictures.

I love the Boardwalk area and the Beach & Yacht Club.

Swan on the way to Boardwalk.

img0939vy.jpg

Can you believe this weather in March? Awesome!

img0940kb.jpg

Yacht and Beach Club dock.

imagesook.jpg

Y&B Club Pool - Storm Along Bay

imagezie.jpg

Beach Club entrance.

imageopa.jpg

DSIL liked this design so I get a closer picture on my way into EPCOT through the International Gateway.

imagegknm.jpg

I noticed some people looking up. I missed this guy last time through England.

imageqkm.jpg

I catch two sets of Off Kilter. The English Revolution is not playing today.

imagebpn.jpg

Nice to see food kiosks open.

imagezifl.jpg

imagevlu.jpg

imageeiw.jpg

I'm disappointed that I can see Mickey Dolenz today. A couple websites said he'd be playing today but I learn that the music acts only play on weekends.
Oh well. I do enjoy some BBQ and a beer.
I had a nice chat with chef manning the smoker.

img0944x.jpg

On the way out, as the sun goes down, I say goodnight to Mickey and the gang.

img0945eh.jpg

img0947yf.jpg

Back at BLT, I check out MK from the Sky bridge between CR and BLT.

img0950nj.jpg

img0948fb.jpg

I fall asleep before the girls get in. They had a great time too !

We have to get up early because we have reservations for a behind the safari tour at Animal Kingdom...

I'm following your trip report! I love hearing about all the fun ya'll are having with the New Fantasyland and BLT. I'm sorry to hear you had a stomach bug on vacation.

Great pictures..keep em coming!!
Can't wait to try BLT in 30 days.
And yes...I question why I live in CT and not FL also!!

I'm following your trip report! I love hearing about all the fun ya'll are having with the New Fantasyland and BLT. I'm sorry to hear you had a stomach bug on vacation.

I always worry an illness will impact our trip. This was a bump in the road but did not derail us one bit. DD was a real trouper. Thanks!

Great pictures..keep em coming!!
Can't wait to try BLT in 30 days.
And yes...I question why I live in CT and not FL also!!

I think there are two camps when it comes to BLT. There are some who don't care for the decor, lack of theming or that it's not laid back enough. For us, location is the most important thing and BLT fits us just great. DW and DD love the decor and vibe at BLT. It's just a cool area to live on vacation. It's in the heart of the MK resort area and we love it. I hope you love it too ! :cool1:

First of all, Dad, it's "Figment", not "Phigment"! Tisk tisk!!
Here's some of our photopass photos and pictures from my iPhone. They're a bit out of order but there's some good ones in there!

We love the BTL because of the easy access to MK!
43143c34-2cf6-4d86-8ce3-70057874f48b.jpg

We love our Epcot too
20f8706a-69de-4e63-ac07-9c423d1dc050.jpg

Pictures such as this are a result of me yelling "STOP! STAND BY THE SIGN!"
1ad8f3dd-5027-4c6b-b62e-ce6d75808348.jpg

My mom and I love being Honorary Bugs
5c6ec9a6-f129-4f93-8981-15470e3c7052.jpg

Our Disney Ladies living the good life at AK
903c735c-18df-40f8-900b-ea369210f5f9.jpg

Taken just as we were leaving the park early in the morning, after our backstage tour
9567d47f-dc75-4791-ac23-7e8bdabd3361.jpg

Dad in the Mexico Pavilion building, before learning to shoot tequila!
4c4ac686-e471-4bbc-8627-20ae46d7e6b7.jpg

Mom & Daughter
f87a2b5e-e1b8-4392-bbfe-2451dbff08d9.jpg

Making memories
d762bcf6-38c7-4902-ae29-6e6581536f60.jpg

My Dad and I love spending time together in Disney, and though we didn't get much time to wander off by ourselves we still got some nice pictures of just the two of us. Love you, Dad!
b5bec750-6f0d-40b2-90a4-a6f871682dac.jpg

a5267750-db04-4539-a48d-8615e99d0067.jpg

One of my favorite special parts of MK is Push the trash bin in Tomorrowland. I had fun watching this little kid taking to push, but I also love watching the plant, in his typical hoodie, hat and messenger bag, which looks less out of place in the colder weather!
06a9f6c2-d63c-478b-9a8a-215d062c6619.jpg

4f15293a-1817-417d-8955-1173aaab1577.jpg

I have plenty more pictures to share later! princess:

Nice to see my DD adding to my pictorial trip report and correcting me. I'm so glad we purchased the Photo Pass pictures. :thumbsup2
Push is one of my favorites too. I did take some cute video of him and the kids.
I like your post especially since I lost my day 6 post when my browser froze on me. Now, I have to recreate it.
Thanks DD, Love you too!!!

Of all the times we've been to Disney, we never saw Push the trash bin!
You and your daughter make a great team...keep the photos coming:thumbsup2

Thursday, day six, was another gorgeous day. The weather had gone from cool to beautiful as the week progressed. We got up early for a bus ride to Animal Kingdom to take the Backstage Safari tour. We were the only four people on the bus and made it in plenty of time for our 8:15 am meet up with the tour. The tour meets to the left of the opening gate. You gather with the tour guides as they log you in and give you a headset used for hearing the tour guide. We entered the park and spent some time getting to know each other. Our tour guides, Jayne and Mark, were a married, retired, teachers from Ohio. They were very nice and knowledgable of the park. We spent a little time checking out some of the early scenes at the front of the park. Many of the animals were not around this early.

imagehlkg.jpg

Still, it's a pretty part of the park that many bypass quickly.

imagepxma.jpg

We went backstage and climbed into two vans. We drove over to the rhino "barn". We're not allowed pictures in the backstage area. In the rhino barn, we bypass one rhino who is resting. We learn from the keeper that he's old and not feeling well today. The keeper spends a lot of time with us explaining the care and training of the animals. They recently had a "dentist" work on his teeth. A local guy they just started using and he was very good with the large animal teeth. These animals get better treatment than I do. Did you know that a White Rhino got his name because we misunderstood the word Wide? His mouth is wide and we thought they said white.
There's a rhino in the pen next to us and he's very sweet. They remind me of a large cow. They have a certain calmness and seem to enjoy our company. DW sweet talks a little with him.
After the Rhino, we visit the Elephant barn. A young lady handler spends some time explaining the training and care of the elephants. We can see some of them working with the handlers. They go through training so they can be called back from the Safari at the end of the day for starters. There are yellow lines around their pens so the handlers can understand how far their trunks can reach. Elephants are notorious for grabbing things within their reach. Our guides show us a fake tail with real elephant hair, a tusk and some fake elephant poop.
Next, we visit the nutrition center. Again, great care in preparation for the food the animals get. The same vendor who supplies the people restaurants, supplies the nutrition center. The center services AK but also the aquarium at EPCOT for some items. They're packing box lunches when we arrive. DD is a little upset when she's surprised by some of the carnivore lunch on the table. Frozen baby chicks.
At the veterinarian station, we get to meet one of the head veterinarians. They're preparing for a tiger's annual checkup. If you go to Rafiki's area in the park, you can actually view much of the work in this area. Again, I'm amazed at the attention to detail and care of the animals.
After our backstage tour, we get a private Safari. It's the same Safari only with our guides and they share some of the Disney secrets. They point out where the animals come out from their barns for instance.

imageuvb.jpg

imagejgz.jpg

Lots of Gators

imageowei.jpg

Disney magic trees

imageyuwb.jpg

imagelldg.jpg

Baby elephant

imagejpbz.jpg

After riding the safari bus, we stop off at this site that I've never noticed before and we get a good view of a resting gorilla. I love watching the gorillas. This is where we ended our tour.

imagelcu.jpg

I enjoyed the tour. This was our third time doing a tour. We've done the MK and EPCOT tours in the past. If you enjoy learning about some of the secrets to the magic and how the parks are managed, these tours are great.
After the 3 hour tour, we grabbed a bus to EPCOT. Fun that we were able to cover three parks in one day.

After Animal Kingdom tour, we took the bus to EPCOT to take in some of the Flower & Garden festival. It was a great day to be at EPCOT but when is it not a great day to be at EPCOT. Thinking about it now, Flower & Garden festival might even be better than Food & Wine. Or at least, the two festivals have a lot in common. Food, drinks and extra music acts are at both festivals. I don't spend extra for the sessions so it's a very similar experience. The park looks great for Spring.

imagelay.jpg

imageryxb.jpg

imagebob.jpg

The butterfly garden was open now and it was very nice.

imagevipz.jpg

imageuxhf.jpg

imagevno.jpg

imagevdt.jpg

It's just a beautiful day at EPCOT.

imageqho.jpg

Food kiosks are open and I try a salmon biscuit in England

imageuvy.jpg

Looks like the hot air balloon from Downtown Disney. It was cool to view it from EPCOT.

imagemlvx.jpg

On our way to France, nice topiary's.

imagejev.jpg

Pink frozen drink in France.

imageygf.jpg

imagetci.jpg

We get in the act.

imagetzb.jpg

Between a few drinks, playing Phineaus and Ferb and hanging with some Disboards friends, we catch this act twice.

imageyquq.jpg

Fun to meet fellow Disney DVC fanatics.

imagetbct.jpg

DD and I head over to England to do some shopping. I like to collect beer fridge magnets. I picked up a Coke bottle opener for my garage fridge earlier in week. Now, I have to get a couple Guinness openers.
We catch an act of Romeo and Edna. We'd not seen this one before. The show was fun and the "actors" from the crowd did a great job.

imagesop.jpg

We have a 3:30 reservation at Be Our Guest in Magic Kingdom … Let's not leave the Beast waiting... You know how grumpy he can be. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter