Third Time's a Charm PTR - May 2012 - I should give up on planning trips.

franandaj

I'm so happy, I could BOUNCE!
Hello! Welcome to my PTR!

I realize that I currently have two PTRs going as my last trip to WDW was suddenly postponed a year due to medical emergency. :sad2: In a perfect world, I would be wrapping up the TR from that trip and starting on this PTR for my trip next spring, but :confused3 such is life.

So this is a trip with my Spouse, and our good friend Arline. The only decent picture of her that I have is from our wedding. Arline is the one in the pink! (if you didn't already figure that out!) :lmao:

cf.jpg

Soooooooooooooo much of the trip is already planned out. Our dates are May 1-8, 2012. Originally I made the reservations for BCV and SSR where I own points. On the 7 month mark, I called in and switched the reservations to the first three nights at Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani and the last four at Bay Lake Tower. This is a reschedule of a trip that we were supposed to take back in January of 2009. Everything was all set and then two months before the trip Fran’s father fell and broke his pelvis. We knew that he would be coming home from the hospital right around the time of our trip and it would never work out.

We postponed to May of 2009, but by that point Fran’s knees and hip were so deteriorated she would be in too much pain to enjoy the trip. So finally two years later we are getting to take Arline to WDW. We chose Kidani because the idea of having the animals right outside the balcony was really appealing to Arline. We chose Kidani over Jambo to save on points. We need two bathrooms for the three of us, and with the One bedroom at Kidani having two bathrooms, that works out perfect.

We decided to switch to BLT halfway through the trip after our stay there last May. I didn’t think I was going to like the place, all the pictures I saw made it look so modern and cold. However, upon staying there, the proximity to the monorail, the MK resorts and the views caused the place to grow on me. Also the one bedroom units there have two bathrooms! :thumbsup2

So we’ve booked our airfare. Frequent flyer points got us three seats in First Class on American Airlines and we have our favorite non-stop flight from LAX to MCO, departing at 10AM arriving at 4PM. With DME that should put us at the resort around 6PM on the night of arrival.

So here’s the schedule

Tuesday, May 1 (my birthday)

Fly out of LAX to MCO
DME to AKL Kidani (One Bedroom Savannah View)
7:40 PM Sanaa
We will have groceries delivered to the resort so we don't waste precious park time, grocery shopping.

Wednesday, May 2

Breakfast in the room
11:00AM Fran and I will pick up the rental car letting Arline watch the critters
We'll have a quick lunch in the room before heading out to a park. TBD. AK has EMH that morning, so if we're ambitious we can hit a few rides before getting the rental car.
Dinner will be at Raglan Road, but I haven't been able to make the reservation yet.

Thursday, May 3
Again we'll have breakfast in the room
We'll try to make it to AK at rope drop.
Lunch will be in the park, probably Flame Tree, but we'll play it by ear.
4PM we want to do the culinary tour of Boma & Jiko
Hopefully we'll have some time to relax after that
7:10 Dinner at Jiko

Friday, May 4
Resort switch day. The plan is to be up at 6AMish check out, head to BLT and check in on our way to Discovery Cove. (One Bedroom MK view)
We'll spend the day at DC
Hopefully by the time we're ready to leave we'll have a text with our room assignment.
We'll be cooking dinner in the room that night. Something easy.

Saturday, May 5
Light breakfast in the room
Head to Epcot
11:30AM at Via Napoli
Stay until we need a nap
7:15 Hoop de doo Revue

Sunday, May 6
Rope Drop at MK
10:00AM Crystal Palace
Back to the resort, maybe enjoy the pool
6:00 Victoria & Albert's main Dining Room
Food Coma

Monday, May 7
Breakfast in the Room
Day at Epcot
Lunch at a Quick Service
Back to the Resort
Dinner 7:05PM at 'Ohana, just a Monorail ride away!

Tuesday, May 8
Pack up Check our bags, and catch DME back home. :eek:

I’m hoping to get Arline on the DIS so that she can share in all the planning fun and get excited. OK, so any tips out there to make her First WDW trip extra special?

1.jpg

For those who have not stayed at Kidani Village, the rooms are larger than those at Jambo House, as I mentioned above they also have two bathrooms in the One Bedroom Villas. Here is what the room will be like. Both the couch and chair are sleepers so Arline has her choice of accommodations.

2.jpg

4.jpg

We are only planning on cooking breakfasts and a lunch here so this kitchen won’t see a heck of a lot of action.

3.jpg

9a.jpg

Here is Fran modeling the comfy bed :laughing:

5.jpg

6.jpg

I will definitely be enjoying this part of the Villa!

9.jpg

7.jpg

Depending on our location, we will be enjoying any variety of these critters.

a9.jpg

a8.jpg

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

b3.jpg

b5.jpg

b9.jpg

And that's all before dinner the first night! :thumbsup2

Hi this is Arline I am looking forward to my first visit to world with my good friends Fran and Allison in May. We are going to land in Feb and looking forward to that as well....

Hi this is Arline I am looking forward to my first visit to world with my good friends Fran and Allison in May. We are going to land in Feb and looking forward to that as well....

Glad you made it over here! :welcome: I hope planning with everyone helps to get you excited!

So our first night will be a relatively long day of hurry up and wait. Even though our bodies will think that it is about 3PM when we get to the resort. I know from experience that we will be exhausted upon check in. It will be 6PM Florida time so I’m sure the room will be ready. We’re not going to want to do a lot of traveling to get dinner. We will have ordered groceries, and after checking out the menu online and looking at pictures of food, Fran might not be eating much at Sanaa. She may actually ask if she can stay in the room and I just make her a grilled cheese. :lmao:

Arline and I love Indian Food. Fran is not a big fan, but has indulged us in our desire to have all sorts of exotic cuisines on this trip.

****Disclaimer****
I did not take any of these pictures. I do not know whose they are (except for Brandi’s), I stole them all from other TR’s, I’m not trying to pass them off as my own.
****Disclaimer****

P1070514Medium1.jpg

P1070524Medium1.jpg

There are the Lamb Kefta Kabobs. I love lamb and I make a version of these at home, so I would love to get an appetizer of these little morsels.

P1070532Medium1.jpg

I also love scallops, but these are in a Coconut Cream Sauce, so we’ll see on that one (not a big fan of coconut, but it’s more the texture, maybe I’m OK with the flavor)

P1070534Medium1.jpg

This is the trio of appetizers, fried cauliflower, the lamb kefta and Potato & Pea Samosas. I really like Samosas, so maybe we’ll just order individual appetizers of the two that I like. Neither Fran nor I like cauliflower, and not sure Arline wants to eat all of it.

P10606751.jpg

Now this is a picture of Brandi’s from her Bread service. We will definitely get some of this I love Naan, Onion Kulcha and various accompaniment sauces

IMAG00971.jpg

These photos are also courtesy of Brandi

The first is Tandoori Chicken, served with Apricot-Rasin Chutney and Basmati Rice

IMAG01001.jpg

This is Beef Short Ribs, Five Grain Pilaf, and Spicy Durban Shrimp

IMAG01011.jpg

This one is Shrimp with Green Curry Sauce, Basmati Rice and Coconut-Curry Lamb

IMAG01021.jpg

We’re back to stolen pictures again. I’m going to take a guess that this is the Spicy Durban Chicken and Coconut Curried Lamb, but it may also be the Chicken with Red Curry Sauce. The person who I stole them from did mention that the Spicy Durban Chicken was quite spicy like they liked it from their favorite curry place at home in the UK.

P1070537Medium1.jpg

This one is also a guess, but it looks like the short ribs on the right and maybe the Spicy Durban Chicken on the left? :confused3

P1070539Medium1.jpg

I’ve figured out now that this is a Kid’s meal.

P1070541Medium1.jpg

And I can’t find this on the menu at all. Maybe it’s the “I don’t eat Indian food” back up last resort food option! :rotfl2:

P1070538Medium1.jpg

This is the picture on the Disney Website at Sanaa on the Reservations page

SANAA_2_9981.jpg

This last one is Brandi’s Desert Trio - Chocolate Cake, Tropical Kulfi, and Chai Cream

IMAG01031.jpg

No idea what we'll be ordering, but it certainly gives me some ideas on what to get my palate craving!

More to come!

:wave: and Welcome to the Dis Arline.

I'm one of Alison's Friends-in-a-Box and have met her face to face in January this year. Hope that you enjoy the planning and have a great time at the World.

princess::upsidedow

Alison, is Arline also a morning person? I am not, so have never been to a rope drop in my life.

Subbing in......popcorn::
(Did I make it on page 1????)

Glad to see you here!

I am here...... let the party begin. :rotfl2:

Did you bring the drinks? I've got the vino! :lmao:

Alison, is Arline also a morning person? I am not, so have never been to a rope drop in my life.

So happy you made it over here! Arline is better at mornings than Fran and I, but Fran likes to go early, especially to MK since it gets so busy. She likes to come back to the room and rest in the afternoon. We'll see how things go in reality! :rotfl:

Very nice pics! Welcome Arline! Looking forward to more.

Good to see you Usnuz!

I'm here too! Welcome to the DIS Arline!! :yay::yay::yay:

I LOVE Indian food. Those pictures from Sanaa are making me drool. I should know better than to read your TR before I eat my oatmeal.

It's too bad Fran doesn't like Indian food. There is a great website called Manjula's Kitchen with easy recipes and YouTube videos. The site is run by a middle-aged Indian woman who does all the cooking for her family. It's like having your mom show you how to cook delicious dishes. My favorite recipe is Chana Masala.

***Edited to add: Darn it! I didn't make the first page. :(

*sneaks in* I'm here! Your plans look awesome so far!

Thanks! :goodvibes glad to have you on board!

I'm here for the PARTY!!! party:

woohoo Party! party:

Pictures of Sanaa just make me hungry.

I know what you mean, I can't wait to eat there!

I'm here too! Welcome to the DIS Arline!! :yay::yay::yay:

I LOVE Indian food. Those pictures from Sanaa are making me drool. I should know better than to read your TR before I eat my oatmeal.

It's too bad Fran doesn't like Indian food. There is a great website called Manjula's Kitchen with easy recipes and YouTube videos. The site is run by a middle-aged Indian woman who does all the cooking for her family. It's like having your mom show you how to cook delicious dishes. My favorite recipe is Chana Masala.

***Edited to add: Darn it! I didn't make the first page. :(

:sad2: sorry you didn't make the first page, but at least you're on board! It's party time from here!

Hi Arline and welcome! :welcome:

The room looks fantastic! Dan would love to stay here one day with a Savannah view. I wouldn't mind either, knowing that Jiko is here :cloud9:

....embarrassed to say...i've never eaten Indian food.:eek: But I would love to! I don't think there is anything here in Tulare or Visalia. :confused3

Hi Alison, how's Fran doing? Do you think it will be all cleared up by Vegas? Hope all is going well :)

Alicia, as much as you guys enjoy food I'm shocked to hear this admission! Indian food is so scrumptous!

....embarrassed to say...i've never eaten Indian food.:eek: But I would love to! I don't think there is anything here in Tulare or Visalia. :confused3

There are actually quite a few places in Visalia. I was looking for a place to eat one day out there when we were picking up Arline’s records from the hospital and my GPS was finding Indian restaurants right and left! We ended up at Applebee’s though. :rotfl2:

You should find a place that has a lunch buffet. Most of the restaurants around here have them, and they’re about $9.95. That way you can try a little of lots of things and if you go back you’ll have an idea of entrées to order. My favorites are Chicken Tikka Masala, Chicken Tandoori, Lamb Seekh Kebab, anything Saag (saag is spinach, most often I get saag paneer, but I also like Lamb Saag). Paneer is their “cheese” but it has a consistency more like tofu. Dahl Makhani is one of my other favorites, but the best are the Naan bread and Onion Kulcha (essentially Naan but with onions). There was one Indian take out joint I used to go to in the Valley (San Fernando that is) that made Naan with a thin lining of the lamb kebab meat inside. I’ve never seen that anywhere else, but it was good! You guys should definitely try it sometime!

Hi Alison, how's Fran doing? Do you think it will be all cleared up by Vegas? Hope all is going well :)

I sure hope so! Otherwise we won’t be going :sad2: She still has a hint of infection so she is still on oral antibiotics. The problem is that when she is on the antibiotics, she can’t get her infusion of Arthritis drug, as the way that medication works is to suppress her immune system. Her last dose was in September, so even as she recovers from the cellulitis, her joints become more and more painful. Hopefully when the nurse discharges her from Home Health care on Friday he will clear her to stop the antibiotics. Then she can get the infusion 8 days later, which would actually be 10 days, that’s Dec 12th. Let’s keep our fingers crossed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter