• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

This could have been avoided

I'm not too sympathic...how many times are people warned to fly the day before...and get trip insurance!?!...yes this is a sad siuation....kids devistated and money lost...I don't feel this is totally the airlines fault tho..hard lesson learned on the family..if booked through a TA they should have advised family better..stop blaming others( airline) when your decisions don't work out.

In this case, while I feel bad for the Family trip insurance would have covered them. No blame to the Arline. I do blame the airlines, though, for instances where people are bumped.

I agree that the family was foolish not to fly in the night before- we definitely would have, although we would not have purchased trip insurance. But... the airlines seem to have forgotten the idea that when they sell you a ticket to fly somewhere on a certain day and at a certain time, that should mean something. I can't just not show for my flight and expect to hop on another one without consequence.

Yes. This could have easily been avoided in the first place by flying at least a day ahead. And yes, if they had gotten passports they could have flown to the first foreign port and met the ship. But if the didn't bother to get trip insurance - which it is obvious they did not - which would have been significantly less expensive than passports for a family, I think we can safely assume they didn't have them.

And of course the family is taking zero responsibility for any part of it.

they could of flew to the first port the cruise stopped at.
I was thinking the same thing. My main question is who booked the flight. If it was the cruise line, it's on the line and airline to make it right. If they booked on their own.....

But considering that there was 40 other people trying to do the same thing, at the same time it sounds like they booked airfare thru the cruiseline, the airline and cruiseline dropped the ball.

I agree that the family was foolish not to fly in the night before- we definitely would have, although we would not have purchased trip insurance. But... the airlines seem to have forgotten the idea that when they sell you a ticket to fly somewhere on a certain day and at a certain time, that should mean something. I can't just not show for my flight and expect to hop on another one without consequence.
Agreed. Both the airline and the family member in charge of this trip share responsibility. If airlines are going to charge customers hundreds of dollars to make a simple itinerary change these days and refuse refunds to passengers who pay for normal price tickets, then they should at least take some responsibilty for following through with their side of the transportation bargain, and provide the passenger with a flight at the time promised.

I was thinking the same thing. My main question is who booked the flight. If it was the cruise line, it's on the line and airline to make it right. If they booked on their own.....

But considering that there was 40 other people trying to do the same thing, at the same time it sounds like they booked airfare thru the cruiseline, the airline and cruiseline dropped the ball.

Not necessarily. They were flying out of a hub for Delta, meaning a lot of people who can't get non-stop flights from their home airport could be routed through Detroit to get to Florida (even if the original departure point makes you scratch your head at going the opposite direction than the destination). It is highly conceivable that 40 people could have booked on their own (or some might have booked through the cruise line which is why we are only hearing from one woefully inexperienced family) and be going through Detroit - either as their origin or a change point.

I'm wondering how this is news?? Did they call the newspaper themselves?? Or is this news outlet just jumping on the 'trash the airlines' bandwagon for ratings? People miss planes and planned activities all the time - it's not news. I agree with everyone else - buy trip insurance and fly down the day before. Our first cruise is in January. We bought trip insurance the day we booked our cruise. Our flight is scheduled for 1pm the day before the cruise, I'm even nervous that isn't early enough in the event of cancellation.

Our first three cruises we never thought to fly in the day before. I don't blame them for that. I think many people fly in the day of their cruise. I would be upset too if I was planning a vacation and found out I couldn't make it because of the airline, trip insurance or not.

Our first three cruises we never thought to fly in the day before. I don't blame them for that. I think many people fly in the day of their cruise. I would be upset too if I was planning a vacation and found out I couldn't make it because of the airline, trip insurance or not.

I'd be upset too. But it is common sense to fly in the day before. Whenever you have anything important!

Sometimes I think you have to experience something-either first hand or observed before "common sense" kicks in. A year before our first cruise, we were flying to Disney (in the happy days of direct PNS=MCO on delta, sigh...) and were fogged in. A young couple were very very upset and agitated because their honeymoon cruise was leaving Port Canaveral that afternoon. As the delays continued, the tears and despondency increased. I certainly felt sorry for them but it cemented in my mind LEAVE EARLY for a cruise.

Better safe than sorry, especially when it comes to anything expensive (vacations) or meaningful (job interviews, reunions, weddings, etc).

I'll admit first cruise we had something similar happen. We took off and barely made it to the boat. Everyone we knew had always flown in early morning of their cruise and never bought trip insurance. One thing we did do though was call shoreside and discuss options with them. They were willing and prepared to hold the boat for up to an hour (so not closing up until 5 instead of 4) but thankfully that wasn't needed. I was a mess at the airpoet because it was a simialr issue with missing crew and then mechanical issues and then being unable/unwilling to accomidate anyone on another flight. So i can definitely see their side of the story. Of course had we gotten to FL and missed the boat we wouldn't have blasted it to the first news reporter who would listen but that's just me. I'd rather continue to work with the companies involved instead of ruin and good will by running to the media.

Also seems they got their flights adjust to go home. Why not try the best of it and book something in Ft. Lauderdale for the kids?

I'm sure there are handful with common sense that still choose to fly in the day of because of other reasons :)
Totally true. But then you have to accept the risk that your flight might be delayed/cancelled and you could miss the boat.

I'm guessing these were inexperienced travelers who weren't aware of travel insurance and the risks of flying in day of. It happens, but I don't think they need to blame the airline for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter