This is how my cruise refund is going so far, should I be concerned?

SL6827

DIS Veteran
I went and cancelled my cruise for next year early last week. I had put down $318.72 on it from a Disney Rewards Card- got it all refunded, put $460.00 from gift card A- got it all refunded and put down $1795.28 from gift card B- have only gotten $989.00 refunded. Now I went and moved all of that $989.00 from that gift card onto another hoping Disney would go ahead and place the rest of the amount due onto that same card. No such luck yet. Should I be concerned?

What day last week did you cancel? Looks like it's going surprisingly fast. I thought it would take longer than a week. Sounds like they couldn't fit it all on the one card due to the $1k limit. I heard if you call they can tell you which specific gift card number they put money on and specific dollar amounts. You might have a gift card coming in the mail but it's prolly going to take a call to know for sure.

What day last week did you cancel? Looks like it's going surprisingly fast. I thought it would take longer than a week. Sounds like they couldn't fit it all on the one card due to the $1k limit. I heard if you call they can tell you which specific gift card number they put money on and specific dollar amounts. You might have a gift card coming in the mail but it's prolly going to take a call to know for sure.
I might call them later. I will check on the amount tomorrow. The amounts were all listed by the exact gift cards I had and still have on hand by my TA.

When I cancelled they said it could take up to 30 days. It didn’t take that long but I had it all on one credit card. I’d keep waiting it out if I were you.

I was in a similar situation. Was told that the batch to the gift cards sends out every 4 days, so if the last go round was within that time period, wait a day or 2 and it should try to post the rest again if you have cleared it off.

So, as someone who waited 5 mos. to get reimbursed for a cruise canceled with a non DCL cruise line, and within time to get a full reimbursement, no reason needed, I think this is pretty good actually. My sister has been waiting months for a refund for a Jan. 2020 cruise and just found out that the cruise line filed bankruptcy and she will likely never see her $3k. So while I can understand your frustration, I think this is pretty good timing.

From what I heard, if you have more than 1k on a gift card, they will wait a few days before putting more back on that gift card, to give you a chance to move the funds to another gift card since 1k is the limit.

I had cancelled a cruise where Costco was the TA...told me it could take 30-60 days for funds to return to the credit card. Deposit was returned in a week. Was very pleasantly surprised after hearing how long it took other cruise lines to return deposits after cancellations.

So, as someone who waited 5 mos. to get reimbursed for a cruise canceled with a non DCL cruise line, and within time to get a full reimbursement, no reason needed, I think this is pretty good actually. My sister has been waiting months for a refund for a Jan. 2020 cruise and just found out that the cruise line filed bankruptcy and she will likely never see her $3k. So while I can understand your frustration, I think this is pretty good timing.

From what I heard, if you have more than 1k on a gift card, they will wait a few days before putting more back on that gift card, to give you a chance to move the funds to another gift card since 1k is the limit.

have your sister file a chargeback with her credit card company

For anyone wondering how long it takes. Our October cruise got canceled and I asked for a full refund on 8/7 and got my refund today 8/19 (broken up into 4 transactions). Then I called Amex and they did an ACH transfer to my bank account the same day.

I wish I had good luck. DCL's accounting department messed up my payment/refund/FCC (it's complicated due to their major errors) for 2 separate cruises. It's been a royal pain.

We took the FCC option. For whatever reason they do not roll your taxes and fees, so they refund that portion even though you are booking a future cruise. Well they only refunded a little under half of our taxes/fees. Had to call, do the supervisor accounting thing, back and forth on hold, then they refunded the remaining taxes and fees. This was crazy to me, especially in the computer age, wouldn't be hard at all to tell what portion of your reservation is taxes/fees (it has it down to the penny right on your reservation). It got me thinking, how many people don't notice and don't call to get the rest? Multiply that times tens of thousands of people and it comes to a pretty significant dollar amount. I have a lot of faith in DCL, so I'm hoping it was just a one-time issue with me and not a systematic strategy on their part. But still have to wonder how such a simple error could be made and if it was a one-time thing?

We took the FCC option. For whatever reason they do not roll your taxes and fees, so they refund that portion even though you are booking a future cruise. Well they only refunded a little under half of our taxes/fees. Had to call, do the supervisor accounting thing, back and forth on hold, then they refunded the remaining taxes and fees. This was crazy to me, especially in the computer age, wouldn't be hard at all to tell what portion of your reservation is taxes/fees (it has it down to the penny right on your reservation). It got me thinking, how many people don't notice and don't call to get the rest? Multiply that times tens of thousands of people and it comes to a pretty significant dollar amount. I have a lot of faith in DCL, so I'm hoping it was just a one-time issue with me and not a systematic strategy on their part. But still have to wonder how such a simple error could be made and if it was a one-time thing?
Is it possible the actual port fees on the last day port fees could be obtained were significantly different than what your estimated port fees were? I know Ive gotten a rather unexpectedly large credit from DCL as long as 8 months after a cruise due to port fee changes.

And, yes, I wholeheartedly agree that in this day and age you should have been refunded what you paid as that should have been very easy for them to see. But I also think it shouldnt have taken them 8 months to sort out the difference from approximated to actual port fees for my cruise (afaik they did get a refund to everyone on my cruise though). LOL

They made a huge & complicated error on my FCC for my July cruise. Literally had to spend hours on the phone getting it resolved, and it ended with a manager of DCL accountants abjectly (and appropriately- it was that bad) apologizing on behalf of the cruise line and giving me her direct line so I would never have to deal with the regular accountants who had caused so much trouble.

I also had a separate November cruise booked that was cancelled, and they messed that up, too. I have to call next week & get it sorted out. They called me last week to explain the error they had made, but as I'm a teacher & was deep in the process of getting ready for Thursday's first day of school, I had to tell them I'd call them back.

SMH. There's something wrong with their accounting department.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter