This is Us- Season six

We have been shown that it did happen, but haven't seen it happen - if that makes sense.

There's a flash forward in which grown-up Jack and his wife are using/talking about the smoker, and he mentions part of the memory of it being negative - we see a brief flash through his limited vision and a scar he now has. We are expecting to see the incident from audience point-of-view in an upcoming episode, and it seems to be the breaking point for Kate and Toby.
:scratchin Ah, alright. That's what I thought I missed, since there seemed to be references to it upthread.

First off Milo deserves every damn award holy hell.
And it was so great to see Camryn Manheim back on tv!
I don’t think this episode was filler as some were saying. It showed why Jack did a lot and connected to Rebecca’s story. It also showed why Jack wasn’t fully perfect.

I have no idea what’s gonna happen next week except with the way Beth raised her voice I want to spill every detail about anything I may have done wrong in my entire life because she is angry.

Last edited:
Yeah, I found it a total snooze-fest. It was a completely throw-away episode for me. YMMV, of course.
It was for me, too. But that line about his mom got me. Also, I found myself mad at Jack all the way up through the episode until that line. He basically alienated his mom for over a decade. Not cool.

I thought it was one of the better episodes. Slow, sure, but maybe this is the calm before the storm. Again, our station didn’t have a preview for next week. Can someone recap?

"I don't have a Mom anymore." Darn you, This is Us. They get me every time.

That line took me back about 12 years ago when my uncle was in the hospital dying and my mom cried on my shoulder and said I don’t have a family any more, I’m an orphan.

I know it’s going to happen, but I can’t even imagine what it’s like to lose a parent.

I also liked this episode. I thought it provided a lot of insight into Jack's character and served as a reminder to all of us to "do it when you can" - whether that's ice skating, visiting family in spite of a long drive, or just coffee with a friend.

I was mad that he called his dad - and really glad he didn't show up!

I also liked this episode. I thought it provided a lot of insight into Jack's character and served as a reminder to all of us to "do it when you can" - whether that's ice skating, visiting family in spite of a long drive, or just coffee with a friend.

I was mad that he called his dad - and really glad he didn't show up!

I think the episode is an important look into how Jack's childhood and relationship with his mom affected his life.

Terrible memories of his alcoholic father and how that affected him, tempered with his mom who was also affected by his dad. The show showed us and Jack that she did get 'out' of the mess and could live a normal life.

I had alcoholics in my family and I sheltered my own kids from them for years, until they were teens and we could have conversations about alcohol and what it can do.

I think Jack sheltered the kids from his childhood.

It was for me, too. But that line about his mom got me. Also, I found myself mad at Jack all the way up through the episode until that line. He basically alienated his mom for over a decade. Not cool.
It was boring and unnecessary for me, as well. As they tie up all the storylines, they may be running out of Milo Ventimiglia centered episode opportunities so maybe that was it.

As far as being mad at Jack, not me. I felt sad for him as he realized that an abusive childhood robbed him of an adult relationship with his mom. From the perspective of someone who has witnessed the effect of that type of childhood, I will say that if you haven’t been there, you shouldn’t judge the way the adult children of it cope. Some completely cut off the parents to escape it, others descend into their own addictions to cope, and still others try to keep some contact with say a weekly 6pm phone call.

Bottom line for me, our relationships with our children is on us not them. If we damaged them so much in childhood that they can’t keep stepping back into it, That’s on us. Jack struggled with alcoholism. Just because his mom wasn’t the abuser doesn’t mean that he could keep going back to all the memories she stirred.

My DH, who was a product of an abusive home,watched with me. We found the attitude of Camryn Mannheim’s character very relatable. At the passing of DH’s parents, their pastor and church treated us with a similar attitude. They saw them as a poor old couple. They absolutely couldn’t believe that out of 6 children, DH and 1 sister were the only ones in regular contact and the only ones who came to make arrangements and handle details. That regular contact was calls and long distance financial help. It was only visits when absolutely necessary.

If you can’t imagine it, be grateful. It takes a lot of work to live a healthy adulthood after that childhood. I’ve seen it.

Last edited:
As far as being mad at Jack, not me. I felt sad for him as he realized that an abusive childhood robbed him of an adult relationship with his mom.

Oh, I agree! I was only "mad" that Jack risked calling his dad when he did instead of waiting until after the funeral. The rest of what you said about Jack's relationship makes perfect, albeit sad, sense. :hug:

I liked it, but I thought it was a little unnecessary given all the stuff that needs to be addressed before the series ends.

I think that, like a pp said, they probably wanted to showcase Milo since his story is pretty much over as he has no role in the current timeline. The only way to show Milo/Jack is in the past.

I loved when at the end of the eulogy he said, "don't let me keep you mom." I loved getting a look at their relationship. She tried so hard to give him a good childhood even though they were in a horrible situation. Was so touching when she ate the soup and hotdogs with him. They were each others beacon in the darkness. It was sad they couldn't have more of a relationship when Jack was an adult, but they both did the best they could. Glad the cousin came to see that.

I think they both did. Not saying Jack was right about it (minus him telling off his father), but she was obviously too nervous to be near his father. It is that weird push and pull in life with life just being life.

I think they both did. Not saying Jack was right about it (minus him telling off his father), but she was obviously too nervous to be near his father. It is that weird push and pull in life with life just being life.

Yeah, it felt like Jack and his mom created separate lives as almost a way to survive. The main things they had in common,( the dad, Jacks childhood years etc.) was an absolute nightmare. Yes there were good times in Jacks childhood, but most was awful. Once they had their new lives, they wanted to forget the old one. Jack touched on it in his eulogy when he said "you never can forget the awful part of living in that house, but you make it as small as you can." Unfortunately that meant building a life without each other. I think the weekly phone call was about all they could handle.

I don't know. His mom was constantly asking him to bring the kids, dangling the pond up the road as an incentive to visit. She wanted to see him and be close to his new family, she just couldn't be in the same town as the dad. Jack should have gone to her.

I thought it was quietly beautiful. Small things get huge when you are no longer someone's daughter or son. The soup on the stove was overwhelming for me. It had so much meaning for him, and for me. You search for those small memories, and play with regrets.

I was blessed in that I got to know my parents as people, as much as they would allow. Probably because I am nosy as hell and emotionally brave. Jack felt that loss.

As for I don't have a mom anymore. Oh the dropping of my body on that, brilliant writing - brilliant acting My place in the world fell out with my mother's death. I was so busy looking after them that I did not prepare myself for the changes, if one ever could. I unfortunately do not have children, so it is a weird feeling to lose that marker of daughter. And not press into mother.

-------------------

The kids! How brilliant was the writing for them. :laughing: And realistic. Can we go play in the snow?

Last edited:
I don't know. His mom was constantly asking him to bring the kids, dangling the pond up the road as an incentive to visit. She wanted to see him and be close to his new family, she just couldn't be in the same town as the dad. Jack should have gone to her.

True, but I looked at it different I think. I saw it as a "pipe dream, " like she didn't really mean it. She wanted them to have that sort of relationship but just couldn't.

The first time she mentioned skating was when the triplets were infants, so obviously not going to happen then. It was like she was dreaming of something that she knew would not happen. She bought the skates but never told Jack. She lined them up neatly in a box, knitted the blade guards and carefully labeled the box, then pushed them under the bed. Like she knew it would never happen, but she had the dream of it happening. I think that's what kept her going, the dream of having Jack and his family in her life, but she knew it was not going to happen, that the weekly phone call was as good at is was going to get. That was my take anyway, but I'm sure its way off! LOL!!

Last edited:
True, but I looked at it different I think. I saw it as a "pipe dream, " like she didn't really mean it. She wanted them to have that sort of relationship but just couldn't.

The first time she mentioned skating was when the triplets were infants, so obviously not going to happen then. It was like she was dreaming of something that she knew would not happen. She bought the skates but never told Jack. She lined them up neatly in a box, knitted the blade guards and carefully labeled them box, then pushed them under the bed. Like she knew it would never happen, but she had the dream of it happening. I think that's what kept her going, the dream of having Jack and his family in her life, but she knew it was not going to happen, that the weekly phone call was as good at is was going to get. That was my take anyway, but I'm sure its way off! LOL!!

No I think it is bang on. And perfectly said. I know people like his mother. As they are speaking you know it is not going to happen.

I think both things are true. They were doing the same thing. Both playing a role and game, so to speak. Jack going on how she lived so far. Life was too busy. It is like they were doing a dance back and forth.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter