This is Us Spinoff Question

jdb in AZ

It could end up curdled
Last night's episode of "This is Us" showed the family vacationing in a cabin in a rain storm. The three kids, probably 10 years old at the time all wanted to sleep with their parents. When my two kids were preschoolers they'd come in to sleep with DH and me during a noisy thunderstorm. But it got too crowded to sleep so the kids slept on our floor til the thunder quieted down. It seemed like last night's show the kids were rather old to be camping out with mom and dad during a quiet rain storm.

Yeah, I know that during a thunderstorm in the "Sound of Music" even the older kids ran to their new governess' room so she could sing about a few of her favorite things. And yes, I still love that movie, but some of it was a bit much.

Question -- how old were your kids before they stopped running to mom and dad's room during a thunderstorm? When I was a kid I don't remember ever trying that. Do you?

I don't remember my kids ever doing that for a thunderstorm. If they woke us up it was for other reasons once they were beyond the toddler stage of two, early three years old. They weren't big on climbing in with us either.

Well my oldest came I our room, woke us up and slept on the floor. She's 9, but it was Christmas morning and she was just trying to get us up to get into the presents. It was 2am and Santa had just come at 1am. Before that, I can't tell you the last time she came in. Our 2 year old comes in pretty often. Something wakes her and she wants to snuggle back to sleep, the older ones were the same way. Our 5 & 6 year olds come in rarely if they've had a bad dream. We don't mind. As I've said, our 9 year old is out of that phase. It won't be long until the rest of them are. If they need to snuggle us, we are there for them.

I supposed I climbed into my parents bed but I don't remember it. Our twin DDs used to come to be with us during a thunderstorm but surely not past 6 or 7 years old. It was the same every time--big loud thunder clap, about a 2 Mississippi, and a simultaneous WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH from both girls. Seconds later, our bed was fuller. :)

I definitely crawled into my parents bed during loud storms. I’d say I stopped maybe around age 10? One storm scared me so loud that I screamed and the neighbours heard me LOL

My daughter would crawl into bed with me maybe until age 7-8? Sometimes she would sleep with me just for the sake of it. It was just me in the bed so there was a lot of room.

DS would often crawl in with us when he was little (or want me to stay in his room for a few minutes) - but it was more of a bad dream dream thing; he'd sleep right through a thunderstorm!

I'm not sure what age it faded out. - Though I was probably better off not knowing it was the last time, anyway...(I might have a tendency to be too mushy about that stuff. :rolleyes1)

My youngest (13) has never liked thunderstorms. She'll occasionally come in and sleep on the floor in our room (won't crawl into bed with us, or even wake us up. She will bring a pillow and a blanket and sleep on the floor like Kevin did and I'll find her on the floor in the morning or if I wake up during the night.) She's never really liked the idea of having her own room though. One time she cried, "It's not fair that you and Daddy get to share a room but I have to sleep all by myself!"

Last edited:

My kids sleep pretty soundly through storms, but both wake once in a while for other reasons. They come stand by my bed and stare at me until I wake up.

Then, after my heart starts beating again, I will go tuck them back in, sometimes laying in one of their beds until they are out again. If I don't have the patience for that, we traipse out to the living room and I grab the couch, the awake-kid gets the floor. I don't care if they fall back asleep or not, but I can sleep knowing they feel secure and won't be waking me up again.

I have always told my kids "I don't care WHERE you sleep, as long as you sleep". We co-slept for a long time. TBH, I miss it.

DD15 was never scared of storms, until our house got hit by a tornado almost 3 years ago. She slept on our bedroom floor for a couple of months after that. She's okay with them now, but if it gets really bad she does get anxious. We had some really bad weather last school year while we were out of town at a scholastic bowl meet. The tornado sirens started going off, and it looked nasty. She had a complete breakdown. Thankfully we haven't had anything like that since.

My youngest is 9 and she still runs to us during thunderstorms. We don't get them that often here so it's not something she's had much opportunity to get used to.

DS was in his own bed from early infancy but once he was mobile he did occasionally come in during the night and want to crawl in; usually in the very early morning hours. This was probably from about ages 2 - 5 or so. I really don’t remember it happening after he was school-age, although we did nothing to actively stop it. We were also lucky that storms, nightmares and whatnot were really not issues for him.

My 2 (DS 11 and DD 10) have never woken us up for storm. DS has only woken me up once or twice at night and that was for being sick. The one I remember was when he had a 105 temp. DD though wakes me up a lot and sometimes for no reason. She is very attached to me. Something we are always working on. When she does this I always just put her back in bed and give a hug and kiss. The kids do have a tv in their rooms so this helps DD go back to sleep. Last night she did wake up with a stomach ache so we both slept in the living. DD will climb in bed with in the morning after DH gets up.

When I was a kid we were never allowed in bed with my mom and step-dad. I used to climb in bed with my mom after my step dad left for work until we needed to get up and get ready.

In our starter home-wood frame-the thunderstorms were louder than in our solid brick home. There are times we have no idea that it's been storming.

I wonder if being in a different place-a cabin in the woods-would cause the This is Us kids to run to mom and dad's room more than if they were in their own home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter