• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

This is us..

Maybe at a bar or something but it was always such a skeevy joke to me I would never have even considered it.

It isn't even really so much about Kate's weight (although let's stop acting like she's just obese, she's in a category called super obese which is beyond even morbidly obese) but they've barely even spoken to her before they're hooked. How can she possibly even give off a vibe if she's just standing around, or in the case of the horse dude, talking on her phone to someone else?

It just makes Horse dude look beyond creepy and yes, maybe a bit like a fetishist.

I agree. I'm waiting to see how they utilize this character in the story. The come on for absolutely no discernible reason got an immediate, Nope from me. I'm praying it was not supposed to be an improbable setup to a great romance.

I agree. I'm waiting to see how they utilize this character in the story. The come on for absolutely no discernible reason got an immediate, Nope from me. I'm praying it was not supposed to be an improbable setup to a great romance.
Much like Miguel, he gives off that skeevy, creepy vibe after just a few moments of being introduced to the character.

I think horse dude works there, since he had a name tag.

How old was Kate during that pool/note episode? I thought they were younger, because it was before Randal started at the new school, but I could be remembering it wrong.

I think horse dude works there, since he had a name tag.

How old was Kate during that pool/note episode? I thought they were younger, because it was before Randal started at the new school, but I could be remembering it wrong.
I would guess they were about 8-9 in the pool scene. It was before Randall started at the new school, I think.

Maybe at a bar or something but it was always such a skeevy joke to me I would never have even considered it.

It isn't even really so much about Kate's weight (although let's stop acting like she's just obese, she's in a category called super obese which is beyond even morbidly obese) but they've barely even spoken to her before they're hooked. How can she possibly even give off a vibe if she's just standing around, or in the case of the horse dude, talking on her phone to someone else?

It just makes Horse dude look beyond creepy and yes, maybe a bit like a fetishist.
Okay, super obese. How does that negate her appeal if that's what is attractive to these guys? Both Toby and Horse Guy (this dude really needs a name, lol) put themselves into positions to meet large women. From there, for me personally it's not that far of a leap to take one look at her or get a vibe off of her and be smitten. We don't know what horse guy's intentions are yet, he could just want to sleep with her or he could have seen/felt something in that split second that drew him to her.

I would guess they were about 8-9 in the pool scene. It was before Randall started at the new school, I think.

That's what I was thinking, which means it is possible that Sophia and Kate became friends. (It's also possible Sophia used Kate to get closer to Kevin, even at that age.)

Maybe if she looked like a Victoria Secret model, but I'm guessing most severely obese women don't have every man they meet dropping at their feet.

She hasn't had every man dropping at her feet. But who knows how it will play out.

And OT but Ricki Lake has openly stated that she always had a great deal of male attention when she was obese.

Highly, highly insulting.
It's not meant to be insulting, it's a fact that most people aren't attracted as much to very overweight people (to the point that there are actual terms referring to that population). These men were judging her on her looks (because they didn't know her). Based solely on looks, I think men tend to be more attracted to thinner women (as you can see with marketing).

It's not meant to be insulting, it's a fact that most people aren't attracted as much to very overweight people (to the point that there are actual terms referring to that population). These men were judging her on her looks (because they didn't know her). Based solely on looks, I think men tend to be more attracted to thinner women (as you can see with marketing).

She has a boyfriend in real life also. As others have already stated, not all men are attracted to thinner women.

It's fine if that's what they're attracted to but how about having a few normal interactions to develop interest? I don't care if you're not overweight, obese, super obese or what but if a guy comes up to you when you're on the phone, demands to know if it's your boyfriend and says "not for long" when you answer yes, he is a bizarre, bizarre person you need to be running from. Not a potential love interest.

It's fine if that's what they're attracted to but how about having a few normal interactions to develop interest? I don't care if you're not overweight, obese, super obese or what but if a guy comes up to you when you're on the phone, demands to know if it's your boyfriend and says "not for long" when you answer yes, he is a bizarre, bizarre person you need to be running from. Not a potential love interest.

Even the show's creator has said that Duke was supposed to be creepy.

Totally a different thing if he came on that strong after watching her taking care of a horse, save a granny from a burning building, overheard her giving a sick friend moral support, etc. Give us a positive, discernible reason to understand his intentions. Otherwise get me a restraining order.

I like Toby too but I said to my husband that he needs to get rid of that patch of hair! It was interesting to see him in This is Us and then my husband and I just watched Stranger Things and he's in that as well and he's in a lot better shape and looks great in Stranger Things (although I admit I'm into the big burly type guy, which he is in Stranger Things).

As far as horse guy being drawn to Kate right away, I can believe that. I've experienced meeting a person and feeling an instant, strong connection that was mutual. I think although Kate seemed a little taken back, she was attracted to him too. But I could be way off. We shall see!

I like Toby too but I said to my husband that he needs to get rid of that patch of hair! It was interesting to see him in This is Us and then my husband and I just watched Stranger Things and he's in that as well and he's in a lot better shape and looks great in Stranger Things (although I admit I'm into the big burly type guy, which he is in Stranger Things).

As far as horse guy being drawn to Kate right away, I can believe that. I've experienced meeting a person and feeling an instant, strong connection that was mutual. I think although Kate seemed a little taken back, she was attracted to him too. But I could be way off. We shall see!
Toby wears a fat suit for This is Us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter