This is us..

Did anyone else think that Jack seemed really pale and skinny, I'm agree with Tony he goes out of his way for Kate maybe she should a more appreciative, I think according to Randal statement Jack death was unexpected.

Did anyone else think that Jack seemed really pale, I'm agree with Tony he goes out of his way for Kate maybe she should a more appreciative,

I don't think Toby did anything out of his way for her this episode. He seemed to have done it for him.

Yeah, I read that in your earlier post, I'm just saying that it didn't affect my thoughts on her being self destructive, since I didn't see any previews.
I guess now I'm confused. I was saying we don't know that she's being self destructive. We're getting the perception that she's going to be but that doesn't mean she is. IMO it's too soon to be disappointed in behavior she hasn't yet displayed.

Did anyone else think that Jack seemed really pale and skinny, I'm agree with Tony he goes out of his way for Kate maybe she should a more appreciative, I think according to Randal statement Jack death was unexpected.

Now that you mention it, Jack does have what I would call a pallor to his look.

As far as Kate not doing enough for Toby, IMO she did a very big thing for him when it counted most. She gave him a come to Jesus talk when he was too scared to follow up with the medical treatment needed to give him the best shot of surviving and living a normal life. It may not be a hearts and flowers moment, but it was what he desperately needed.

I guess now I'm confused. I was saying we don't know that she's being self destructive. We're getting the perception that she's going to be but that doesn't mean she is. IMO it's too soon to be disappointed in behavior she hasn't yet displayed.

I see what you're saying, but to me going to his cabin at night is self destructive behavior... but maybe necessary for her to defeat her demons or whatever you want to call it. Part of her growth in the end hopefully.

How on earth is Duke employed at this camp? None of the people attending have ever said anything to administration about the creepy stable guy? I find that hard to believe.

I agree. I find him so repugnant, especially when he had the gall to outline for Toby his exact m.o. and then tried to imply he's on the in with Kate when he found out who Toby was, that I hope many campers express their displeasure first with a fist or a swift kick to a special spot before reporting him.

I agree that they are adorable but they are just way too perfect. They're always dressed perfectly & behave perfectly. Almost like little robots. They seem to be the only characters on the show without any flaws or depth to them. I also thought it was ridiculous when Randall's wife made him go to the chess tournament. It seemed like the daughter had just learned to play so how big a deal could it have been? My DH has a similar type of job to Randall's (without all the $$) and I certainly couldn't make him constantly miss meetings for minor family events. Just seemed selfish on her part.

I actually found Toby pretty funny last night (& I usually don't like him) & I think Kate's timing for this camp was a little selfish. I know she needs to work on herself and lose weight but she's waited 35 years, couldn't she wait until Toby had recovered from his surgery? Also, does Toby have a job in CA? Why wouldn't he just go home to recover? He must have some friends and/or family in CA.

I agree that they are adorable but they are just way too perfect. They're always dressed perfectly & behave perfectly. Almost like little robots. They seem to be the only characters on the show without any flaws or depth to them. I also thought it was ridiculous when Randall's wife made him go to the chess tournament. It seemed like the daughter had just learned to play so how big a deal could it have been? My DH has a similar type of job to Randall's (without all the $$) and I certainly couldn't make him constantly miss meetings for minor family events. Just seemed selfish on her part.

I actually found Toby pretty funny last night (& I usually don't like him) & I think Kate's timing for this camp was a little selfish. I know she needs to work on herself and lose weight but she's waited 35 years, couldn't she wait until Toby had recovered from his surgery? Also, does Toby have a job in CA? Why wouldn't he just go home to recover? He must have some friends and/or family in CA.

I thought the same thing about Randalls wife. I would never tell my husband he could not go to a work related outing. It was like she was talking to a child.

I think Toby was not cleared for flying. He said he had to stay in NY until he healed enough to fly.

Who is too perfect?

Randall told his daughter he'd be there. In my home that would be end of story, I'd "call marriage" too. You don't get to make promises to kids and then break them. Had he said, "we'll see" or "it depends on what work is like" would be one thing but he told her he'd be there. And he did not have to be at work. They were going to give it to the other guy and he said he'd be there. His boss told him the next day they were splitting the accounts and that's the way it's going to be. The boss is fired up to have the new guy take things in another direction.

The thing is Kate went to New York to try and get it together. She left telling Toby she had to do this on her own. In true Toby fashion he sweeps in on Christmas with the big romantic gesture and inserts himself back into her life. He has his health crisis and she did stop and put things for herself on hold to be his side. When it comes to her own health she FINALLY is brave enough to take that step and is presented the opportunity. If she put it on hold again she might never have done it. Would you tell an alcoholic to skip a rehab program for a few weeks when they're all ready to do it? IMO this is the same type of thing. Sometimes you have to be selfish for the greater good. Put your air mask on first type of thing.

Is anyone besides me mad at Rebecca? How do you chose a romantic moment like that, when your husband has just made this huge sweet gesture, to ask him for even more and say you want to go away?

And I'm not happy with Toby or Kate. I don't like that he has to make fun of everything, but I also think she's being selfish. And my "Duke is a jerk" opinion has only solidified.

I totally thought William was dead at the piano. - OMG!! And Randall shaking really scares me. I'm afraid he has got something serious, and that we'll see Jack's death in flashbacks just as he worries that his girls will go through the same thing.

I loved that we got to see Jack and Rebecca's wedding and I'm hoping it works out for Kevin and Sofie!

Last edited:
How on earth is Duke employed at this camp? None of the people attending have ever said anything to administration about the creepy stable guy? I find that hard to believe.

I seriously can't with this negging creepy *******. He gives me rapist vibes.

Continue to be annoyed that Jack is the saint and Rebecca always has to be portrayed in a negative light.

Is anyone besides me mad at Rebecca? How do you chose a romantic moment like that, when your husband has just made this huge sweet gesture, to ask him for even more and say you want to go away?

And I'm not happy with Toby or Kate. I don't like that he has to make fun of everything, but I also think she's being selfish. And my "Duke is a jerk" opinion has only solidified.

I totally thought William was dead at the piano. - OMG!! And Randall shaking really scares me. I'm afraid he has got something serious, and that we'll see Jack's death in flashbacks just as he worries that his girls will go through the same thing.

I loved that we got to see Jack and Rebecca's wedding and I'm hoping it works out for Kevin and Sofie!

I felt the same way about Rebecca - she seems a bit more selfish than Jack, who puts his family first above all else - at least when he wasn't in the drinking phase.

I hope that Randall isn't seriously ill, that would be devastating. We'll already have to deal with William and Jack's deaths. :(

I guess I can see that about Rebecca. She is kind of loving her freedom and singing with the band while Jack is working 10 + hours a day and taking over the kid's duties. I do hope we see a darker side of Jack. He is just too perfect.

A few of my thoughts after seeing the episode...

I've never been a big Toby fan, but I'm not fond of the way that Kate is treating him. I agree that his "grand gestures" seem to be more about him than Kate even if he doesn't see it that way, but she could be more kind in the way that she approaches the topics if she really does love him. I don't know that she does.

I greatly dislike Duke. I hope the "self-sabotage" dialogue wasn't foreshadowing anything...

Randall's work situation makes me uncomfortable. I don't want to see him fail, but it seems like he's setting himself up to do so. I went back and forth over Beth's decision to "call marriage." He is obviously trying to stick his head in the sand about how close William is to dying. Avoidance is a coping mechanism that I'm all too familiar with, and I think that Beth needs to force him to face the situation instead of letting him "hide" in his job. But, at the same time, sometimes taking care of work responsibilities is "putting family first" even if it seems the opposite. But, then again, Randall was the one who wasn't taking the opportunity to step back from some of the responsibilities when given the chance. But is he right that he needs to be there fighting for his job or is it just that he thinks he needs to be superhuman/perfect and do it all? See, back and forth and back and forth. He is obviously a devoted, attentive father and husband. It's all taking a huge toll on him. It also seemed that he hasn't fully faced Jack's death yet, and I think that the loss of William is going to also make him face that loss as well.

I was glad that Sophie asked about Kate and seemed genuinely interested. Since they've been divorced for 12 years and she was teasing about Miguel, Miguel must have joined the family more than 12 years ago. I like Sophie.

I have never really disliked Miguel, though I think he is a little too smarmy at times. Now we know about Shelly, but I am wondering why there has been no mention of his kids in the present. I'm glad that the made it clear that he didn't cheat on his wife and was thinking of the best for his kids back then. I still think that the reason the Big Three don't seem thrilled with Miguel is that no one can replace Jack and not that Miguel has done anything wrong or questionable. I think that none of them have really come to terms with that loss.

I hope that Randall's health issues aren't too serious and just serve as another wake-up call.

I thought the triplets were supposed to be 30 in the present. But that doesn't jive with Kevin not seeing Sophie for 12 years, which means they would have divorced at 18?

Who is too perfect?

Randall told his daughter he'd be there. In my home that would be end of story, I'd "call marriage" too. You don't get to make promises to kids and then break them. Had he said, "we'll see" or "it depends on what work is like" would be one thing but he told her he'd be there. And he did not have to be at work. They were going to give it to the other guy and he said he'd be there. His boss told him the next day they were splitting the accounts and that's the way it's going to be. The boss is fired up to have the new guy take things in another direction.

I was referring to Randall's kids. They never cry, complain, talk back, whine.....pretty much everything normal kids do.

Sometimes you do have to break promises to kids. To me, Randall's boss is trying to oust him with this new guy, and if he doesn't start stepping up, he's going to be out of a job. It looks like he is going to need to miss a considerable amount of work taking care of his dad, so if he had to miss one of his kid's events, I don't think it's a big deal. I don't think his wife should pull the family card in this situation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter