This sounds silly, but.....

Mr.MouseFan

<font color=blue>Is a line cutter<br><font color=g
I know this sounds like a ridiculous question, but for any of you who have had to take your shoes off at the airport, do they make you take your socks off too? :D Just want to know so I can get through as quickly as possible. (i.e. wear no socks...lol)

Thanks for your help with this silly inquiry!

I got selected for the "Deluxe" search search at BWI last Friday. I did not have to take my socks off, just my shoes and unbuckle my belt. I was not charged any extra for the "Deluxe".;)

On our last trip (2/02), I was selected for a random screening at MSP. I had to take off my shoes (leather walking/athletic shoes), but not my socks. The screener "wiped" the insides of my shoes and the soles with some kind of round, fabric like disk, and then put the disk in some kind of "reader" attached to a computer. She also checked my Mickey carry on tote bag the same way. She didn't look inside the bag. When I asked, she said the computer was checking for explosives. Since my shoes (and the Mickey bag:)) were the ordinary kind, not the explosive kind:D , I passed the screening and was sent on my merry way. The whole thing took about 2 minutes total.

... as your mother no doubt told you! ;)

Seriously, what they are looking for is the thickness of the soles of your shoes, on the theory that you might have C4 packed into the soles. You're not going to manage to put C4 into your socks without making your feet look really lumpy. I'd skip the Doc Martens and the hiking boots, slip-ons are your best bet. (I always wore slip-ons for flying, anyway, because I take them off when I get on the plane.)

If you are wearing a sweater or jacket, taking it off and sending it through the scanner will reduce the odds of being pulled out at security. They don't like layers or otherwise bulky clothing. I no longer wear jeans when flying, because the rivets can set off the handheld scanners.

I had my shoes scanned also flying out of ACY on 3/9. Only my shoes and ankle brace (I have a very bad ankle as a result of a sports injury) were scanned - socks were left on.

Have a great trip! :)

Same here as the others...
Hubby and I were singled out for intensive searching because I had a carry-on stuffed with gift bags & assorted contents a couple of trips ago, and they asked us to remove our shoes. Just the shoes, no socks!!
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

Thanks everyone for your replies!!

Debi, thanks for replying......I'm flying out of ACY so the info you supplied is great.

Again, thanks for answering my silly question!:D :D :D

I've never thought about the implications of having to take your shoes off like that, but now that I do, I would be sure to wear socks. Since they're not going to make you take them off, at least you won't be walking barefoot on that floor. I don't take my socks off in hotel rooms, and I certainly wouldn't want to be barefoot in an airport.

I got selected for the "Deluxe" search search at BWI last Friday. I did not have to take my socks off, just my shoes and unbuckle my belt. I was not charged any extra for the "Deluxe".

I got selected again for the "Deluxe" search on my way back in Tampa Monday. This time it was to my advantage. I was selected just before the boarding started and got to board before the preboards!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter